Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online: Super Servers are on Their Way

The team over at DC Universe Online have heard our concerns with the low server populations that currently cripple the game. Within the next month, they'll be rolling out some processes that turn their existing servers into "four Super-Servers", one for each platform in each region.

We have heard your concerns about queue times on the servers. This game is about people playing and fighting together so we feel your pain. Sometime in the next month, we are going to test new technology to meld all of our US and European PC and PS3 servers into four Super-Servers, one for each platform in each region. This will allow for more opportunities to queue and participate in other group related game mechanics. We are hoping to get this on our PC Test Server to start testing, again, sometime in the next month and then will tune it up for the PS3 platform as well. As soon as we know more about testing and timing we will let you know. But, believe this – it is one of our top priorities. Again, thanks for your patience, we appreciate your support.

Check out the announcement at the official DC Universe Online website.

Comments

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Wholly crap that would be awesome if they dont screw it up somehow. =)

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

"Super servers" ....

At least it sounds a lot better than "server merges".

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I'd rather they just came right out with it, they're merging and that really is all there is to it.

Honesty never has been SOEs strong suit though.

• ZorwanZorwan Member Posts: 11

The end of open pvp ?

I hoped they would release new open pvp content in the future.

• Zandora2018Zandora2018 Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by DarkPony

"Super servers" ....

LOL what i was thinking

Played Aoc/DDO/FFXI/WAR / LoTRo / CO / Aion
    Playing Rift

Waiting for FFXIV to be the game it should. so sad =(

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

"Super servers" ....

Lol, indeed. Ah the power to deceive people with pretty words... doesn't work so well these days where all are skeptics, eh?

Or maybe it does and it's just we...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Elikal

"Super servers" ....

Lol, indeed. Ah the power to deceive people with pretty words... doesn't work so well these days where all are skeptics, eh?

Nahh people stopped bothering with DCUO long ago already and moved on.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

"Super servers" ....

LoL I quess its just us folks who are skeptics,  I will say it sure is a fancy name for server merge,  here lets have super servers. ROFL.

• Oy-jordOy-jord Member UncommonPosts: 44

I was an early beta-tester of this game, and I called it back then, and I'm sad to say I was right.  What killed (is killing) this game is it's dumb-downed console UI and gameplay.  This is MMORPG.com, not PewPewSMASH.com, and folks who play MMORPGs want complexity, not simplicity.  Even the most simple of MMORPGs, WoW, is 100x more complex than DCUO.

They should've listened to me, and they could have made a great game.  Server mergers are the beginning of the end.  F2P is the only thing that'll save this game.

• MenocareMenocare Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by JeroKane

"Super servers" ....

Nahh people stopped bothering with DCUO long ago already and moved on.

lol read my mind

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807
    Yeah those same ppl complained it wasn't WoW...so that's where they went back too
  • AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Most games launch with too many servers anyway.  I think this comes from the giant hype machine that surrounds MMOs.  Very few games from major companies launch small and then build slowly.  They launch BIG.  Too big.  Game releases expect big attention right away, and then everyone moves on to the next thing.  The real milestones of MMOs weren't huge hits at launch.  They started small and grew.  Now they start big, naturally shrink because half the players were just looking for the next fix, and THEN they get to start working on normal MMO development.

Anyway, my point is basically that it's not a symptom of a game, it's a symptom of the way the industry works.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

So this is server merging and not some kind of battlegroup thing like what wow uses? how sad. glad i never even played the beta and simply watched a guy i knew play the beta and when he asked me if i wanted to give it a try while i was there i said "nope". i could tell just from looking that it was not my cup of tea. seems it wasn't anyone else's either.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Are these servers going to be pvp or pve or will they just lump everyone together?

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

^ Yes ;)

Maybe just maybe SOE will finally realise launching unpolished MMOs is bad.  Pretty sad that this many years on, CoX is still top dog in the super hero genre.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Originally posted by Solude

^ Yes ;)

Maybe just maybe SOE will finally realise launching unpolished MMOs is bad.  Pretty sad that this many years on, CoX is still top dog in the super hero genre.

All we need is CoX 2.

Lets gooooooO!

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

I like the sugar coating that SOE does.  It's just above being detectable by a twelve year old.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Low pop already? :o

What happened to all the follks that were praising this game?

• JDexterJDexter Member UncommonPosts: 128

Originally posted by tachgb
    Low pop already? :o What happened to all the follks that were praising this game?

They played it.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by JDexter

Low pop already? :o What happened to all the follks that were praising this game?

They played it.

Well said. I love DCUO, I wanted to pick it up for my PC, then I heard about the drastic drop of players. Sad. At least it had a good run. You'll know the game's dead when PS3 servers merge.

Who knows, maybe PS3 and PC servers will merge too.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Low pop already? :o

What happened to all the follks that were praising this game?

Its a bit more complicated than just "they played it" the game its self is a fun MMO I still maintain that it was and is a breath of fresh air.  It ran into 3 problems though.  First the bizzare decision to target it at "casual players who spend 8-10 hours a week in game" meaning there was a low level cap.

Second, the lack of documentation especially about end game activities most players had no idea about the achievements system also being alternative advancement for your char.  The lack of info there and on endgame raiding left a lot of people wondering what to do and wandering off at 30.

Finally and worst of all, the initial social interface they released with was just a mess, it cut people off from building communities, in essence they missed out not because of a bad game but simply because people did not have the tools to form the friendships that keep people playing MMO's  Without that, it doesnt matter how much content you have,  people stay longer in a mmo because of the social element than anything else.

SoE Failed to understand the importance of player made communities untill after the 2nd patch, by which time Rift had launched and was the "new shiney" DCU picked up a LOT of long term subs at launch so it has a "chance" to get a second wind but what Sony need to do is pump out a lot of community building content. 

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Maybe if SOE would actually add some content, they wouldn't have to spend the time consolidating servers.

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131

"Super servers" ....

Dont forget that they are merging not only servers but platforms also so i dont see much desvining since i never saw that kind a merge

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

[Mod Edit]

Actually, server merges are a direct indicator of the status of a game. It's typically a bad thing and means that the population is dropping like a rock. While you hold DCUO in high regards, it doesn't reflect the opinions of thousands of others who are leaving the servers empty.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Shame it is a good game, just as usual lacks enough content to keep people interested.  A quick leveling cycle just spells a quick exit by many players unless there is lots to do at end game.  Of course Smedley is not smart enough to see that.