Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What level did you get bored with Rift?

Comments

• AjukrajziAjukrajzi Member UncommonPosts: 13

Became bored at level 46. Just another WoW clone and this one is without meaning.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Time for an update. Hit me about 2 wks after reaching level 50. Just doesn't have the end game that I'm looking for and I've run out of ways to keep it fun for me. Time to move on, maybe until the next event comes along. (Unfortunately I bought a 6 month sub and forgot to cancel in time.)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265

I mentioned earlier that it took about 2 weeks for me to get tired of Rift,  the highest level I was able to achieve was 32.  Rift actually inspired me to go back and check out  a game I had not touched in about 8 years, Everquest.  That and Asherons Call were the first MMOs I ever played.  Everquest has come a long way, my goal is to get to the level cap (currently 90) fill up on AA points (there are MANY to earn) and take out the old raid content I remember from back then. 

I suggest anyone that got tired of Rift so quickly like me to check out the old Everquest if you have not done so.  TONS of content (17 expansions total now can be had for $19.95)  If you can get over the game not being as pretty as Rift you will find a ton of depth, exploration to be had, and many ways to get into your character.  Much more immersive than Rift for me.

Im glad I tried rift, it made me realize how shallow a lot of the newer, shiny games are and able to appreciate the real depth of an older  but well aged game

(Also I decided to play on the Firiona Vie server, +50% permanent server xp and most items no drop? When farming those old raid bosses, can now sell the loot!  Nice!)  I couldnt bring myself to roll on the locked progression server, im not that much of a masochist.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Around the second beta... I logged in next few really only for the sake of it.. so, probably around the 15 hour mark if I am honest.

That would be the absolute minimum content I personally would expect off a full price single player game (and even then it would have to be an honestly great game that I really wanted to play) but not that great at all for a game looking for my ongoing sub.

The trouble is for these kinds of themeparks content is defintley king, and Rift's was honestly just very boring and limited.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

I was going to buy and try this game...So let me see if I have it straight:

1) Rift is boring due to a lack of content and rather fast progression.

2) Rift is a pretty game, but designed for the casual gamer

3) The game is soloable to the max level as well. 

Am I right? 

Sometimes I wonder if every major company has a person they hire to represent their games in these forums and to their own game posts how great it is while they simulate a disgruntled community vs every other game. Oh well.

• Brisky29Brisky29 Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by Kyleran

Time for an update. Hit me about 2 wks after reaching level 50. Just doesn't have the end game that I'm looking for and I've run out of ways to keep it fun for me. Time to move on, maybe until the next event comes along. (Unfortunately I bought a 6 month sub and forgot to cancel in time.)

About the same for me too. Though I started at headstart, been 50 for about a month.

I recently unsubbed, I can't get excited or motivated to grind emblems for gear again, just can't do it, ugh. 

So yep, I eventually got bored when there was few other things to do besides instance grinding. I maxed out my chosen profs (which turned out to be useless). I attempted to work on world achievs, but that only goes so far b4 I got bored. I LOVE rifting and doing the raid rifts....but there was VERY little of that going on. Most nights it was hard to even get 5 people interested in doing rifts, you know...the games namesake...and yes I was in a fairly large guild...everyone just wanted to do experts or greenscale, hide away in instances. I guess thats where the gear's at but I've instance grinded for years in another game, not doing it in another. Trion has the potential for something special with their world rifts/events, if they would use it more and put more incentive to get people out in the world I think it would be loads more fun. People are correct in that the first 20-25 levels of Rift are the most fun.....I did so much random grouping and rifting, and socializing it was an amazing leveling experience and actually felt like an MMO.....then you get to end game and that mostly disappaeared for more instanced gear grinding....nope can't do it anymore, moving on.

Those were just my feelings, I'm happy for those that are enjoying Rift.

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Participated in the early betas, got to the early 20s before stopping.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by minttunator

Participated in the early betas, got to the early 20s before stopping.

same and that was hard work.. not the game for me thats for sure.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I level extremely slow, take my time, do everything the game has to offer, and don t log in everyday, because I actually do other things. Answer I m not bored at all, and I m sure it will take a long time for me to get bored. The content they re putting out, will come out faster then I can do it, so it s the perfect game for me.

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443

Originally posted by Soki123

I level extremely slow, take my time, do everything the game has to offer, and don t log in everyday, because I actually do other things. Answer I m not bored at all, and I m sure it will take a long time for me to get bored. The content they re putting out, will come out faster then I can do it, so it s the perfect game for me.

^ Same it seems to be a casual VERY casual game, i could see a Hardcore gamer becoming bored very quickly.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I have a level 46 Cleric and I'm still not bored.  Though, unlike many of you I haven't burned through the content in less than a month.  I've been taking my time.  Sometimes I won't play for a couple days due to work and friends.  I never play for longer than four hours at a time and I don't do things that I don't want to do when I'm in game.  I'm not even in a guild, so I haven't even started with that aspect of gameplay yet.  Most people today end up riuining their own game experience rather than the game having anything to do with it.  I can see myself playing Rift for a while and enjoy it, at least until I see any serious attempt at a fantasy based sandbox.  The options right now are pathetic.

Just to prove my points, there is a poster a few posts up that says that they have been level 50 for about a month.  Which means it took them about three weeks to hit 50.  You blast through content that fast and then you complain that you are bored.  No game in the history of MMO's other than sandboxes should be able to hold the interest of a person like that.  The content will never come out fast enough if you are only chasing the carrot in the quickest possible way without a care for anything else a game has to offer.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by nhavas

Originally posted by kedoremos

Originally posted by elocke

I chose 50/endgame even though I'm still subbed, nothing else to play at the moment so I'm doing all the other stuff until that get's boring too.  That being said, for me it's the endgame model of gear hunting I don't like.  I can apply this same poll to WoW and my answer would be level 85/endgame, or Lotro - Level 65/Endgame.  It's the endgame gear grind mechanic that I am bored with.  I wanted to add EQ2 in there but remembered I got bored at about level 53 on 2 characters there so...lol, but you get the idea. 

I think the dungeon/rep grind needs to take a back seat to something better.  I spend 90% of the game leveling and questing and boom you hit endgame and you don't do that anymore.  So, why not continue the questing/progression part and make it part of endgame.  Start to give me epic questlines to get my gear that send me ONCE to each endgame dungeon, with nice rewards along the way, and then take me to the next tier and so on, all the while not breaking the flow of what I've been doing UP TO the level cap.  Same with reputations, don't give me just dailies and a dungeon to grind, give me a way to earn rep via other means that doesn't "feel" like a grind and has enough rewards while doing so to keep me going.

Alternate Advancement mechanics are another MUST have for me and they need to start being a "staple" in MMORPGs, same with housing.  Both great ways to keep me "playing and occupied" as opposed to "twiddling my thumbs and bored, waiting on the next game to whisk me away".

That's why UO and EVE are great games, tbh. Leveling (such as it is) is just the beginning. The intro to UO said it best when it said (paraphrased) "Sosaria is where you live and die" - the idea that there's no end goal but just to exist in a virtual world was groundbreaking at the time but has somehow been lost sight of.

EVE, UO, and SWG are the most preached games on MMORPG.com

Don't you think it's time to give it a rest? I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm fairly certain more than just me are being turned off of the idea of palying these titles simply because of the rampant elitist fanboyism.

Or you can look at it from an unbiased point of view and come to the conclusion that due to those titles being the most preached titles, they may have gotten something right in their game design that so many developers seem to have forgotten in their endless chase for green.

Chances are high that you've never played them at their best.  It's a real shame that no one has been able to recreate them in the modern gaming era.  If you use a little bit of common sense, you'll understand that people won't constantly reference these titles because they were bad.  Would you reference a bad game in a positive light?  Do I even really need to answer that for you?

• HpnotiqHpnotiq Member Posts: 64

I was pre-order, started with the early start.  I kept re-rolling trying to find the right combo.  I got 2 characters up to the 20's (I am very busy at work and now am a casual player).  What did it for me was the Bard nerf.

I found the game easy to walk away from, the ironic thing was as soon as I canceled, I got hit with another 3 month charge 3 days before it was supposed to.

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 308

was bored silly in my mid 30's.  pushed through to get the faster mount.  Made it to 44 and cancelled.  Game is just mind numbingly boring.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

I actually didn't get bored with the game but got tired of the community. I got to lvl 42 before I realized it was all pretty mute at this point only managed to complete two dungeons total since players don't even have enough patience to complete a full run or stick around long enough to form a complete group. Took me about an hour and a half to get a group together for Kings Breach the other day since I guess people only run within their guilds or don't like pugging and waiting to find others.

Never did join a guild I think I might have stayed if I had found one that fit my playstyle but trying to join a guild on Faeblight was like trying to squeeze blood from a turnip. Anytime I asked in lfg about guilds only people that responded were lvl 50 trolls looking to harass others since I guess they got bored sitting in Meridian with nothing to do. Then when I asked individual people about their guilds I actually got put on ignore a few times cause I guess I was ruining there quest grinding. The solo attitude pretty much runs the game now, people don't even use the chat anymore, the only chat activity I see 90% of the time anymore is gold spammers.

So yea if the majority of players currently playing RIft are people that got bored with WoW I guess I shouldn't really expect it to be any better. I thought the game was pretty good but yea what made me stop playing was the community. I never planned on raiding, mostly just looking to enjoy the leveling but I think by lvl 42 there really isn't that much more to see.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• CognomanCognoman Member UncommonPosts: 75

Got the free weekend key from MMORPG.  Tried it for a couple of day, got bored around lvl 13.   Not a bad game but Aion and LOTRO is better.

• Originally posted by DAS1337

I have a level 46 Cleric and I'm still not bored.  Though, unlike many of you I haven't burned through the content in less than a month.  I've been taking my time.  Sometimes I won't play for a couple days due to work and friends.  I never play for longer than four hours at a time and I don't do things that I don't want to do when I'm in game.  I'm not even in a guild, so I haven't even started with that aspect of gameplay yet.  Most people today end up riuining their own game experience rather than the game having anything to do with it.  I can see myself playing Rift for a while and enjoy it, at least until I see any serious attempt at a fantasy based sandbox.  The options right now are pathetic.

Just to prove my points, there is a poster a few posts up that says that they have been level 50 for about a month.  Which means it took them about three weeks to hit 50.  You blast through content that fast and then you complain that you are bored.  No game in the history of MMO's other than sandboxes should be able to hold the interest of a person like that.  The content will never come out fast enough if you are only chasing the carrot in the quickest possible way without a care for anything else a game has to offer.

People blowing through the content isn't the problem.  The problem is the content is SOOOOO easy, you can't help but level quickly.  Being 50 for a month is nothing, sounds like that person actually DID NOT blow through content. 

When I played I did the quests that were available and moved on when my quests were done or when I needed higher mats for crafting.  Playing a few hours per day I managed lvl 50 in 4+ days of actual played time. 

There is no content in Rift.  It's all flashy but no real substance.  The substance is when you can have players that can play for hours per day and never feel like they are "forced" to keep doing the same thing.  One of the older games I really loved was Everquest.  I could do SOOOOO much in that game and never had to do the same routine everyday.  I could play everyday for hours on end and not even come close to seeing most of the zones my level.  No this wasn't last month either, this was after.... maybe the 3rd expansion.  Even the basic Everquest game has TONS more content than what Rift has.

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

level 34 or 35 Rogue... I woke up one day after playing soooo much that week, and just lost all desire to play.

Usually I see myself getting bored, but this time I just lost all interest in the game. Friend of mine is still going at it hard, have no idea how, but hey to each their own. I mean hell im back playing PSO! Nuts right!

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Hpnotiq

I was pre-order, started with the early start.  I kept re-rolling trying to find the right combo.  I got 2 characters up to the 20's (I am very busy at work and now am a casual player).  What did it for me was the Bard nerf.

I found the game easy to walk away from, the ironic thing was as soon as I canceled, I got hit with another 3 month charge 3 days before it was supposed to.

I found this game super easy to walk away from also, kinda crazy, I'm usually hooked on MMOs for instance, I haven't played WoW for a month, Account ended around April 3rd (my bday :) and I haven't uninstalled it.

Plus I am back playing my long loved PSO, again just freaking hooked... This game on the other hand is gone from my PC and laptop and I still have game time! No intention of ever playing again.

• CadwalderCadwalder Member Posts: 20

Interesting poll results... according to this more than 60% (myself included) were bored out of the game. I was expecting this to be around 20% or less. Hmm, this is not what I expected at all. =o

• SerenexSerenex Member UncommonPosts: 126

the beta at level 32, pretty self explanatory what the rest of the game was like...

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Im at level 50....almost fully Tier 2 geared and still having a blast !!

Loving the game :)

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

The real question is what could you have done to make your experience better?  There are plenty of people still enjoying the game why are you not?

• ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282

Once I hit lvl 10 in Beta, I was bored. WoW/WAR had a baby and squeezed out Rift. More of the same.

• David99David99 Member Posts: 224

Originally posted by Lathander81

The real question is what could you have done to make your experience better?  There are plenty of people still enjoying the game why are you not?

Was the correct answer:  By choosing a game that wasn't a blatant WOW clone?

As for your second question, lock in: Because the endgame is nothing but a grind.