Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the dungeon experience

I actually think it would be cool if players made their own dungeons and the reward wasn't XP or Gold, but FUN and gameplay.

It could actually be an entire mini-game, where players get to design their own dungeons but as they level up in the real game, they get items such as different terrain pieces, collect monsters and NPC's to use, etc.

I think this is a lot better of a choice than games like DDO or WoW where the dungeons are entirely instanced anyways. Honestly... even the better dungeons of WoW, I would still prefer player-made dungeons. Even my favorites aren't *that* amazing. DDO had some amazing dungeons, so that's different. However, replayability in BOTH of these games was severely lacking. Something user-generated content easily solved.

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Ever tried some user generated content from, for example, Neverwinter Nights ?

Yes some are awesome - but the mass of them is simply is not worth your time.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Ryzom allows this, i don't recall it being a very widely used feature though except amongst friends/guildies, since there is no xp reward.

I had a chance to play through some though, and it is pretty fun to see what people can come up with, and just generally challenge yourself.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I think that with a peer review system and a final developer say as to what goes in or doesn't, player-created content can be amazing.  Puzzle Pirates has had player-created islands and puzzles. Pirates of the Burning Sea has fantastic player-made ships. Actually, at release, 35 of the 55 ships in the game were fan-created.

In most cases, the majority of what players create will be garbage. Of what's good, there's only a fraction that will actually fit the theme and direction that is being sought after. With clear specs/guidelines in place and a two-tier review system (player committee and dev panel) , player-created content can really prove to make a nice addition of content to an MMO.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

City of Heroes has this.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Well the only way that user-generated content would truly work in an MMO, where there won't be any of those crappy farming ones (LittleBigPlanet has those), is for the devs to test it thouroughly beforehand, before giving it their seal of approval. So it's still require a ton of manhours to filter through all the crap and ensure that only the good content reaches the general public.

• JB47394JB47394 Member Posts: 409

Originally posted by Master10K

Well the only way that user-generated content would truly work in an MMO, where there won't be any of those crappy farming ones (LittleBigPlanet has those), is for the devs to test it thouroughly beforehand, before giving it their seal of approval. So it's still require a ton of manhours to filter through all the crap and ensure that only the good content reaches the general public.

There's no need for developer review.  Treat the user-generated content like iPhone apps.  Players download the stuff, play it, review it, and the best stuff will rise to the top.  Of course, that only works when the community is large enough to smother anyone trying to game the review system.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by JB47394

Originally posted by Master10K

There's no need for developer review.  Treat the user-generated content like iPhone apps.  Players download the stuff, play it, review it, and the best stuff will rise to the top.  Of course, that only works when the community is large enough to smother anyone trying to game the review system.

But I said that it would need developer reviews and approvals if you don't want a ton of user generated content create for farming specific:  mobs, items or rewards. Trust me, this will happen if there's no quality control since it even happens in Little Big Planet..

• JB47394JB47394 Member Posts: 409

Ah, my mistake.  I read the "crappy" part and ignored the "farming" part.

If the farming is going to be stamped out, characters would have to be tagged according to which content they had visited.  Perhaps each item could be similarly tagged.  If you then bring a character or item to my content, I can check to see if it originated in blacklisted content or didn't originate in whitelisted content.  So a character that gained experience in a farming instance or a Sword of Obliteration came from such an instance, it would be blocked from entry.

That would also allow things like keeping science fiction and fantasy environments separate.  No lasers in the fantasy setting and no magic in the science fiction setting.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Its odd to say this, but I think Cryptic will be the leader in user generated content. They already have the Foundry in STO and will be releasing (hopefully) Neverwinter this year that is based on UGC. The Foundry already sounds much more capable than the dungeon creator in CoX.

I like the idea of the minigame that unlocks dungeon pieces. Its very Dungeon Keeper. Facebook has Dungeon Overlord that sort of does this, but it lacks the whole single character RPG experience.

I think I read about a German game in development based on user created dungeons as well, but I can't remember the name. It sounded almost exactly like what the OP is talking about. Raid other player's dungeons. Enhance your own dungeon.

• AkaroniaAkaronia Member Posts: 138

Well one thing for sure is that is seems that the MMO generation that is playing now and getting the profits is not willing to do anything that does not have some sort of reward in it for them and if you will notice one of the longest running MMOs still gives rewards.  Nice idea but probably not very applicable with todays crowd.

Would be fun yes for those of us who still play for fun and don't see a boss for only what he drops instead of a challenge.  It might be hard some what to put a dungeon in yourself also that is actually going to challenge you.  You would have to do other people's dungeons because in your own you would have a very unfair advantage.  You would know already how to kill everything in it and would never die because of it unless somehow you managed to make the AI smarter than you so that when you fought him he learned your moves so he could outsmart you.

I know that one thing I see left out in MMOs is people not caring anymore if they die a few times.  Instead they will just leave.  When video games first came out it was all about dying to learn how to beat the next phase or boss in the game.  Nowadays everyone can look it up, use addons, watch videos, and there is really no challenge left in some of those situations, however if a boss is hard enough even looking it up should not allow it to be one shotted.  That is one thing that player made dungeons would cure as long as the maker did not go in.

Nowadays they make you HAVE to look the fights up because of some debuff or whatever that the healer or what not has to know to dispel and then they have to have it in the addon to dispel it adn the list goes on and on.  So IMO player made dungeons would be great if you could get it past the buyers out there.  :D