Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What level did you get bored with Rift?

Comments

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I got to level 40 then said enough is enough.

I realized when I hit 40, level 50 was'nt going to be any different. I came to the realization that once I hit 50, all I was going

to do is dungeon grind for gear and faction grind the BG's. I already had done this in WoW and I believe RIFT was the nail

in the coffin for me on theme park fantasy games.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed RIFT in the short time I was there, but burnout was real quick for me.

I am now jumping around in AO, Eve and yes, Aliens vs Predator (FPS) 2010.

I am staying away from fantasy mmo's, for the time being.

Unfortunately Shadowbane is no longer around and the emulator server is down as well image

The only fantasy game I see myself going back to would be Evercrack, I will wait till the next expansion opens on EQ's progression server on Fippy Darkpaw to get my dose of Elves, Orcs, Dwarves and Wizards.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Shadowbane was a great concept. I beta tested that one, played the first few months of release, then went back to DAOC when the bugginess and constant crashes finally irritated me. Played for awhile in the F2P version, until they took that down.

It would be pretty cool if someone made a better, newer version of shadowbane these days.

• Biglizzard_3Biglizzard_3 Member Posts: 1

This game has been so hyped  and most of us couldn't wait for it to go live.For months we waited and drooled over the possibilites.  And then the day comes for us all to have a  bite of the  pie that was supposed to satisfy our mmo cravings.only problem is most of us are still hungry and completely dissappointed in the final product.

We've all heard it before, "it's just another WoW clone", well in this case it is and isn't. This game offers so little content that i got bored at around level 10. I kept playing to level 20 just to see if it got any better and was left numb  with the simularities of WoW and the utter lack of direction and content . The only thing this game does right is the rifts themselves.It allows full area raids at any level and makes for some intresting game play when you open a rift and fight it from the beginning to the end.

With that being said, the rest of the time you run around with no specific direction  and the questing is just so random and mind numbing.  This game had been on the lips most  gamers i know for months and not one of them  will renew there subscription for a second month.This was a complete disappointment and waste of money and time that i could have put into a decent ,playable game  EVE, LOTRO, or even, dare i say it ,WoW.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

20ish

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• NeoPlasmaXNeoPlasmaX Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by grunt187

Originally posted by nhavas

Originally posted by kedoremos

Originally posted by elocke

I chose 50/endgame even though I'm still subbed, nothing else to play at the moment so I'm doing all the other stuff until that get's boring too.  That being said, for me it's the endgame model of gear hunting I don't like.  I can apply this same poll to WoW and my answer would be level 85/endgame, or Lotro - Level 65/Endgame.  It's the endgame gear grind mechanic that I am bored with.  I wanted to add EQ2 in there but remembered I got bored at about level 53 on 2 characters there so...lol, but you get the idea. 

I think the dungeon/rep grind needs to take a back seat to something better.  I spend 90% of the game leveling and questing and boom you hit endgame and you don't do that anymore.  So, why not continue the questing/progression part and make it part of endgame.  Start to give me epic questlines to get my gear that send me ONCE to each endgame dungeon, with nice rewards along the way, and then take me to the next tier and so on, all the while not breaking the flow of what I've been doing UP TO the level cap.  Same with reputations, don't give me just dailies and a dungeon to grind, give me a way to earn rep via other means that doesn't "feel" like a grind and has enough rewards while doing so to keep me going.

Alternate Advancement mechanics are another MUST have for me and they need to start being a "staple" in MMORPGs, same with housing.  Both great ways to keep me "playing and occupied" as opposed to "twiddling my thumbs and bored, waiting on the next game to whisk me away".

That's why UO and EVE are great games, tbh. Leveling (such as it is) is just the beginning. The intro to UO said it best when it said (paraphrased) "Sosaria is where you live and die" - the idea that there's no end goal but just to exist in a virtual world was groundbreaking at the time but has somehow been lost sight of.

EVE, UO, and SWG are the most preached games on MMORPG.com

Don't you think it's time to give it a rest? I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm fairly certain more than just me are being turned off of the idea of palying these titles simply because of the rampant elitist fanboyism.

Hehe if a thread goes more than 2 pages and no mention of EvE, SWG, or UO i think it gets locked.image

You put the ORIGINAL NON-pre-sony-fucked up version of SWG engine/game in a new wrapper with some updated graphics and you got me paying for a 5 year sub right off the bat.  Same goes with Vanguard.    These games didn't fail, the company did.

• EmothirstEmothirst Member Posts: 12

Like all MMOs – WoW, Everquest, DAoC included – Rift is a game that for the most part what you put into it, you’ll get out of it. Some people burn through MMOs very quickly: if all you care about is getting one character to the max level, Rift will keep you busy for about 50 hours. If you like to stop and smell the flowers on the way, but will still stop when you hit max level, you’ll get 50-100 hours out of it. But if you want to enjoy all its aspects, from its dungeons, raids, landscapes, quests and PvP warfronts, the game will keep you busy for hundreds and hundreds of hours. And if you like stuff like endgame content, socializing, leaning professions, helping out guildmates, scoring achievements, and leveling up alts, Rift will keep you busy for months and months – which, if new content is added as Trion are promising – might turn into a lot longer than that!

Of course, your mileage might vary, but for me, a hardcore 20+ hours a week MMO player, I’m 100 hours into Rift, and I still feel like I’m only just getting into the game. That’s because I’m the kind of MMO player who likes to see everything the game has to offer. For some people, it’s all about getting there. But for me, MMOs are all about the journey, and as journeys go, Rift offers a fantastic-looking, adventure-packed one that is incredibly solid and well put together – particularly for a brand new MMO.

• OnarixOnarix Member Posts: 84

I voted 20-30 terrible game.

Free to play means pay to win.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Got bored at 50. Games that are PVE focused need to have some PVE content that is more varied than kill dragon in a box and get loot.

• Ianb4allIanb4all Member UncommonPosts: 77

Mage level-nuff said

• ranknvileranknvile Member UncommonPosts: 17

Enjoying my metagaming...and not sick of Rift yet.

Stay off the beaten path, explore the caves and mountains, pick up that shiny, kill a few things...oh look, a Rift.

Try to ignore how we have always played our MMO's, and you can get a lot more out of them.

If you've been playing an MMO already and feel bored...then don't go to Rift.  Time to take a break from MMO's and try something else.

My name is RanknVile and I enjoy MMO's. I enjoy Rift.

• snazzsnazz Member Posts: 70

Although I quit at 50 and deleted my chars 2 nights ago. I will always be thankful to RIFT for finally breaking my 6 year WoW adiction.  Cataclysm 90% killed WoW for me and RIFT finished it off by giving me something else to do, So thanks RIFT, if only for that. :)

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Tons of  "end game" content to do yet and a lot of meta-gaming... I mean I can see if you're only into one, narrow ascpect of the game and played a lot over the last month to get there getting burnt out and "bored". I am lucky though because I am able to enjoy and persue mostly all aspects of a game like Rift and indeed all MMOGs, which means I tend to get a lot more bang for my buck out of a game like Rift. I want to epxerience everything... I also know very well how one can get burnt out on a game if you spend too much time playing, so I meter myself and spread my free time around to other persuits.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

I got my Chloromancer/Archon/Dominator up to 50, ran T1 and T2 Instances, got all the gear I could get from those instances and then I stopped playing.

I just started feeling like I was in WoW again, running dailies for reputation, grouping up with my friends to do Caldera for the 10th time.

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by Darkholme

Tons of  "end game" content 

Where is it?

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• ByakuranByakuran Member Posts: 2

Around level 40.

• Originally posted by Darkholme

Tons of  "end game" content to do yet and a lot of meta-gaming... I mean I can see if you're only into one, narrow ascpect of the game and played a lot over the last month to get there getting burnt out and "bored". I am lucky though because I am able to enjoy and persue mostly all aspects of a game like Rift and indeed all MMOGs, which means I tend to get a lot more bang for my buck out of a game like Rift. I want to epxerience everything... I also know very well how one can get burnt out on a game if you spend too much time playing, so I meter myself and spread my free time around to other persuits.

I think the "end game" they are referring to is the process of getting to level 50.  Once you get to 50 you've pretty much already done most of the end game content already.... it was all those dungeons you did while leveling to 50.

I'm going out on a limb.... but I'm going to venture a guess and say most MMORPG'ers believe end game is something you HAVE NOT done at any point prior to reaching the level cap.  That means something I can do at level 5 is not part of end game.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

Level 50. After a couple of weeks, you've pretty much seen all there is to see.

The game was fine for a month to a month and a half, then basically ran out of content and devolved into another endless gear grind game.

On my server there was also sadly not much life out in the open world at level 50... from time to time there were some good moments, but overall, it loses shine very quickly after you've seen the content.

Expert/raid rifts - the game signature original feature - can only be accessed by grinding dungeons. Blergh.

I see this as a game to play for a month, month and a half, then put it aside until it creates new content.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Rift is generally one of the more boring MMOs I've played.  But, our guild decided to all jump in together and we are enjoying each others' company and still finding ways to keep ourselves entertained with the game.

It took us 3 years to grow bored with Vanguard, 5 years to grow bored with EQ2, 1 year to grow bored with WoW and about 2 months to get pretty bored with Rift.  Not a good omen.

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by boojiboy

Rift is generally one of the more boring MMOs I've played.  But, our guild decided to all jump in together and we are enjoying each others' company and still finding ways to keep ourselves entertained with the game.

It took us 3 years to grow bored with Vanguard, 5 years to grow bored with EQ2, 1 year to grow bored with WoW and about 2 months to get pretty bored with Rift.  Not a good omen.

Curious.  Why is everyone playing the game if your whole guild is bored of it already?

Originally posted by markyturnip

The game was fine for a month to a month and a half, then basically ran out of content and devolved into another endless gear grind game.

On my server there was also sadly not much life out in the open world at level 50... from time to time there were some good moments, but overall, it loses shine very quickly after you've seen the content.

Expert/raid rifts - the game signature original feature - can only be accessed by grinding dungeons. Blergh.

I see this as a game to play for a month, month and a half, then put it aside until it creates new content.

You can get malformed and corrupted souls by doing Rift Events and Instances.  You don't need to only do the experts.

It's impossible to blow through both t1 and t2 experts and then hit both Raids and clear them within a couple of weeks of hitting 50.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

Originally posted by watchawatcha

You can get malformed and corrupted souls by doing Rift Events and Instances.  You don't need to only do the experts.

It's impossible to blow through both t1 and t2 experts and then hit both Raids and clear them within a couple of weeks of hitting 50.

You are correct about raids.

But you can actually get a lot of t1/t2 done within a couple of weeks - you can buy some pretty decent crafted items, and earn enough tokens to have a decent enough set of armor to do T2s.

Plus the fact that you will have seen a fair amount of the expert content before, when running it normally. Yes, experts have more bosses and more challenges, but it is not exactly a whole bunch of new content.

I am not knocking the game, it's been fun enough. But progression slows down dramatically, for marginally less reward in terms of discovering new things.

• eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by watchawatcha

Originally posted by boojiboy
    Curious.  Why is everyone playing the game if your whole guild is bored of it already?

Might have bought a 3 month package or more? I know for MMOs that impress my I'll spring for the longer term subscriptions for them from the start.

Trion gave absolutely no discount for their "founding pricing" so that was the first warning something was amiss and one of the reasons I didn't pay for anything past the first month.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Max level i got bored of the game very quickly. I am not a gear grinder and i saw all of the world in one month.....crafting isnt even content in the game. Nothing new in pvp other then a single WF at max level. Rift is just so shallow that i will prbably never go back to it. 

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

You are correct about raids.

But you can actually get a lot of t1/t2 done within a couple of weeks - you can buy some pretty decent crafted items, and earn enough tokens to have a decent enough set of armor to do T2s.

Plus the fact that you will have seen a fair amount of the expert content before, when running it normally. Yes, experts have more bosses and more challenges, but it is not exactly a whole bunch of new content.

I am not knocking the game, it's been fun enough. But progression slows down dramatically, for marginally less reward in terms of discovering new things.

Pretty spot on.  The part I put in red is completely true.  I was really disappointed and if someone wanted to hate on Rift and say that Trion mislead or lied to people, this point would be their strongest case.  Personally, I'm still enjoying the game learning the fights in different roles and gearing up for Greenscale.  I'm also enjoying the Raid Rifts.

But what you've said is absolutely true and hopefully 1.2 will start to give more hidden content through Slivers.  We'll have to wait and see how much new content there actually is.

Originally posted by eoweth

Trion gave absolutely no discount for their "founding pricing" so that was the first warning something was amiss and one of the reasons I didn't pay for anything past the first month.

This confuses me.  Did you mistype something?  Because they did give a discount for 3 month and 6 month.  The 6 month pricing plan was actually substantial.