Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What pushes you away from this game?

SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

What pushes you away from runescape?

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

Comments

• NimmonNimmon Member Posts: 28

The fact that WoW has a better community.

Seriously.... Xbox Live almost has a better community.

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

ITS OLD.  

Give it a new combat system like in Bloodline Champions or League Of Legends.  

Update the graphics a bit.

or Port it over to iPad/iPhone.  

Done

• Sky_ForeverrSky_Foreverr Member Posts: 1

nofing its great game

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Graphics and controls.  

• RougephoenixRougephoenix Member Posts: 1

What pushes me away is that players think to high of them selves they forget that they them selves were once new bees.

I have lost my old chracter on RS and have not got it back I made a new one and I instantly get treated as a New Bee even though I have played RS since it was in Beta form Soooooo many yrs back. you try to get help or advice on things in general

and you get the cold shoulder treatment I was never that cold to any one I have all ways tryed to help but now I am a little iffy about playing RS its a nice game and all but its not the way it was back in the old ways were people were helpfull.

• BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137

The community can be rough sometimes either ellitists or just rude. I have met some nice people playing though.

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

I left the game when they implemented GE and removed wildy. These are back now but I find it hard to get back to the game. Still keep checking out the website for updates, so who knows one day I may go back.

• AnimeiAnimei Member Posts: 13

Runescape. My sister spends all her time playing this game. She has even paid money to be a member. But in reality, Runescape sucks. But I have to say why it sucks, so I don't come off as a troll.

When you start off you get a tutorial which shows you everything you can do, but honestly, there is no skill. You just click on actions, and your character does them. It's not really that fun at all. In fact I got bored with this game quickly.

After you finish the tutorial, you are set in a town and you are free to roam around. You'll quickly realize that the game is open ended and you can do anything you want. You can become a mage, warrior, or pretty much anything.

The graphics are quite outdated for a game today. There are also glitches in the game.

The controls are a simple point and click. I was surprised that you couldn't use the arrow keys to move. Those move the camera.

Sure, the game has a lot of stuff to do, and it might be addictive, but that's all the game has going for it. You'll find out that the game gets repetitive very fast. To fight enemies, you have to just click on them and your character fights it automatically. There is zero strategy. For making runes? Click. Cooking? Click. That's it. There is no gameplay at all.

There are also quests you can do. Some are actually quite easy, and some are way past the point of hard and dull.

Don't get me started on the membership features! If you pay $5 that pretty much opens, well, barely anything! And besides, you won't play this game that long to find out that it's a waste of money.

THE VERDICT!

Runescape was a waste of time for me. The gameplay is dull, there is no strategy, and the membership is a waste of money. If you want to play a good MMORPG play World of Warcraft.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Originally posted by Animei

Runescape. My sister spends all her time playing this game. She has even paid money to be a member. But in reality, Runescape sucks. But I have to say why it sucks, so I don't come off as a troll.

When you start off you get a tutorial which shows you everything you can do, but honestly, there is no skill. You just click on actions, and your character does them. It's not really that fun at all. In fact I got bored with this game quickly.

After you finish the tutorial, you are set in a town and you are free to roam around. You'll quickly realize that the game is open ended and you can do anything you want. You can become a mage, warrior, or pretty much anything.

The graphics are quite outdated for a game today. There are also glitches in the game.

The controls are a simple point and click. I was surprised that you couldn't use the arrow keys to move. Those move the camera.

Sure, the game has a lot of stuff to do, and it might be addictive, but that's all the game has going for it. You'll find out that the game gets repetitive very fast. To fight enemies, you have to just click on them and your character fights it automatically. There is zero strategy. For making runes? Click. Cooking? Click. That's it. There is no gameplay at all.

There are also quests you can do. Some are actually quite easy, and some are way past the point of hard and dull.

Don't get me started on the membership features! If you pay $5 that pretty much opens, well, barely anything! And besides, you won't play this game that long to find out that it's a waste of money.

THE VERDICT!

Runescape was a waste of time for me. The gameplay is dull, there is no strategy, and the membership is a waste of money. If you want to play a good MMORPG play World of Warcraft.

First of all the $5 membership expired years ago, it is like $7.95 to play now.

As for the gameplay itself, it is all about how you choose to do it, you can play it repetitive or you can do mini games ect to  train levels fast now.

it does give a great variety of ways to train each skill, and it also gives great variety in what you choose to do in the game at all.

gameplay can be dull if you choose to make it so, it has different speeds depending on your play style and your willingness to learn other ways. As for Strategy, that is left up to the players. This can be a very strategic game if you choose to play that way, but you must be willing to learn it.  This is actually a very good strategy game in most aspects, you just have to be able to utilize it properly. WOW IMHO is a much easier game to learn without the difficulty and effort required from runescape. If you want and easy game, you choose WOW, if you want a pain in the ass choose runescape. LOL

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

Graphics are decent for a browser game, the textures themselves being better than average. The game is polished, it is one of the fewer glitched games out there. Head to the Runescape Wiki and look at the glitches page, very few aren't fixed the patch after they were implemented.

Purely matter of taste. Having point and click movement =/= Runescape sucks.

Most MMO's out there require very little skill. Most are the same click gameplay, or button rolls. Runescape is more about preparation before doing activies than actually doing them, like EVE. This is very true for Dungeoneering. Managing resources and such gets complicated as you go further down. 

Runescape does quests better than most other MMO's. They tell a story, not just kill x monsters and such.

Membership lets you use half the equipment you couldn't before, many minigames, a third of the skills locked to F2P, more than twice the world size opens up than F2Ps have, and 120 quests. 

THE VERDICT!

Can't compare Runescape and WoW. Two different games. WoW is more of a themepark, while RS is more of a sandbox.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Mostly the community. Worst part of the game imo

• Sup3rnovaSup3rnova Member Posts: 69

Mainly the lag, I'm not talking about graphical lag or network lag just in general Runescape is so unresponsive and the fact everytime you switch zone you get "Loading please wait.." is a epic fail especially in PVP.

Secondly the controls suck I prefer WASD for movement its more immersive and takes more concentration than just clicking the map or w.e and waiting for your guy to move.

Also the grind is too high 5 hours for a single strength level at lvl 80 is a joke and doesnt even feel rewarding when you get it.

Runescape with a few tweaks and nerfs to the exp required would be awesome.

-- edit

I forgot to mention the fact combat is entirely random if you get lucky you win.

• Metalhead531Metalhead531 Member Posts: 1

All of the freaking scammers and lures.

• meilirsmeilirs Member UncommonPosts: 33

THE VERDICT!

There is no "skill" because it's an MMORPG. They are role-playing games not twitch control games. How is using the keyboard more skill than clicking? Pfft.

As for no strategy, you haven't played the content that requires strategy. Just your saying "all you do is click on enemies" proves it. That's newbie content. There's a hell of a lot more to combat if you actually do more than just fight a random ogre.

• Jager61Jager61 Member Posts: 1

Two words...Customer Service...or the lack thereof.  Try to contact the company. Outside of  the very limited forms you can submit, you can't just pick up the phone and call them for any reason.  You can't send them an email.  It's rediculous. I played this game for about 6 years, maxed out character with several 99 capes, then my account was hacked.  I'd submit a form proving I was the legit owner, wait a few days then it was unlocked and I'd change the info.  A week later, the hacker submitted his own form and with all my info changed was still able to unlock the account for himself.  This went on for 6 months.  Then the hacker got tired of my persistence, got the account unlocked, emptied the back, dropped all the gear then walked around throwing out the "N" word to everyone he met. 

Of course, the account was perma banned.  The proof showed "me" sure enough running around spamming the "N" word for 3 hours.  I sent form after form after form trying (in the limited space) telling them to quit unlocking the account without real info (I changed everything, so I know the info he provided was outdated), but  to no avail.  The idea of spending 6 years and losing a toon that way was more than I could accept, especially since I knew it could be done again and again.  I was always a skeptic of ppl claiming they've been hacked until this happened to me.

If you play this game, realize it CAN and prob WILL happen when you reach the end game.  And like me, there is no one you can explain the problem to...because the hacker will just do the same.

You'd think the person holding the Credit Card that's been paying for the sub for years would be the one that gets the account, but I don't think an actual person reads any of it.  A bot, locks, unlocks, bans and denies appeals.

I'm curious, has this gotten any better?  Can you pick up the phone and explain a situation to anyone?

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

Personally, i'm more of a quester and i love the endgame-ish combat, like barrows and godwars dungeon. However i hate HAVING to grind boring skills to get there.

In most MMOs, like WoW, everquest, basicly all big box MMOs. You grind to max level and thats all you NEED for endgame, sure you could grind professions to max, and you're at a disadvantage if you dont, but no ones forceing you to do them. In runescape if you dont get all your skills to max, or atlest rather high levels, you cant do have the stuff i enjoy.

Almost makes me wanna bot my way through them..

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Runescape has very interesting quests and I really enjoyed doing them, but combat is very obsolete and too much grind. If they reduce it or at least make it very rewarding experience, I won't play it again. Everything else is okay, huge world, good graphics (for a browser game), decend music (they still use midi instead of mp3 quality sounds but you get used to it), huge community, big economy etc.

The main reason i don't playi s that after hours of grinding like mining, makes you fill like a bot. Mine 30 coals run to bank and store them, then run back to mine etc.. You get like 120 xp per coal and you need like 10 mill xp for max? Calculate how many months you will be doing the same thing until you reach you goal. This game will melt your brain down. However, it is very addictive and thats dangerous mix!

• RVallantRVallant Member UncommonPosts: 66

Because it hasn't evolved in term of skills.

It's either a grind or a money-sink. I got tired of RS with the newer skills, they're purely money/time sinks rather than of any use as previous skills were in the days of classic.

It's still a good game though, I'm just waiting for some other company to use similar ideas and cut out the grind-fest and money-sink that is the entire skill tree there. I'd be all over that game hehe.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

Originally posted by RVallant

Because it hasn't evolved in term of skills.

It's either a grind or a money-sink. I got tired of RS with the newer skills, they're purely money/time sinks rather than of any use as previous skills were in the days of classic.

It's still a good game though, I'm just waiting for some other company to use similar ideas and cut out the grind-fest and money-sink that is the entire skill tree there. I'd be all over that game hehe.

^ Weird, considering the last skill they released is the one that takes the most skill, since you have to manage items and materials properly between each floor and such.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I play RS now as I can skill while work on phone=D
    Can't play any other MMO as don't have time....
    RS can be semi afk playable=D

What i hate the most about:

1. Customer Service is freaking joke, they don't even offer any possibility to contact them directely.

2.Game runned by f2p bots, nobody care about or unable to stop. Both options means: FAIL

3.Nobody care if you scamm, but all care if scammer complain about being called like that on forum. Means: free flow to all game criminals.

4.Anything happend to you is allways your fault, Jagex is 100% innocent, even if they never, or not enough, publish what you need to be carefull with in game.

Game is fun, can be good as cheap entertainment, but Jagex need to grow up from kids age and start to repair own faults faster.

IMO: they were "OMG we won!" at 2007 with 5mil subs, so they made all to kill golden egg chicken by changing game to communist dictatorship=D

Now I guess they just have not enough cash to do all, as are so many games on market now.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• Jalice888Jalice888 Member CommonPosts: 113

Originally posted by Jager61

Two words...Customer Service...or the lack thereof.  Try to contact the company. Outside of  the very limited forms you can submit, you can't just pick up the phone and call them for any reason.  You can't send them an email.  It's rediculous. I played this game for about 6 years, maxed out character with several 99 capes, then my account was hacked.  

You'd think the person holding the Credit Card that's been paying for the sub for years would be the one that gets the account, but I don't think an actual person reads any of it.  A bot, locks, unlocks, bans and denies appeals.

I'm curious, has this gotten any better?  Can you pick up the phone and explain a situation to anyone?

This is whats worse with Runescape than vertually all other games. People playing WOW etc got their accounts back and included the gear they had but NOT in Runescape - what the hacker takes is gone forever. As for what we pay; far too many people don't realise the price has increased from $5US to $7.95US but I know the Australian Dollar is worth more than the US and our NZ Dollar is even more unfairly rated. This is even more proof of how Jagex is similar to the Nigerian bank account hackers as both are trying to take all your money for nothing. I actually think someone that knows how to contact Interpol should inform them how Jagex operates because Jagex actually operate against their own rules that they made for the game!

Then of course I hate the lagg that cuts us out of trying to relax playing. The bott accounts do the same as they take most the gear we try to collect and only to trade to a silly kid that thinks he/she is a hero with max levels although doesn't even know how the game works. So many botters mean such a small community of us real people thus it's hard to have a good conversation now. And of course if you have botters and gold selling sites, the game is so destroyed since High Scores etc don't mean a thing any moreimage

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

• Grind
    • Bots
    • Hand Pain from all the clicking
    • Lack of free content
    • PvP gank squads
    • Crafters forced into PvP areas for rare resources
    • Chat spam filled with really retarded scams that stupid kids actually fall for "lulz i dubble yur goldz TRADE MEH"
    • Magic costs too much, runes can get pricey, especially death runes which are only craftable by members and always in short supply forcing mages to use inferior spells
    • Rangers can only be good if they're members, their armor demands it
    • Melee is OP due to lack of mages to balance the power
    • Bad enemy AI
    • No player guild system

• meilirsmeilirs Member UncommonPosts: 33

Hand pain from all the clicking is definitely a problem.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

chat system is very bad, party find don't even really exist...
    if you don't play 10h per day you are not good for your clan too, bump forum is a pain in a ....

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• Jalice888Jalice888 Member CommonPosts: 113

I've found out from some people close to the friends of Jagex staff the full truth of Runescape failure!

Hacking has happened to over 95% of accounts which aren't simply one stat item collecting bots.

The way the majority of hacking has happened is the Jagex staff tell their mates how to hack accounts just by name and then those so called friends go and tell their mates aswell. In the end lots are knowing how to hack without anything apart from the account name. I know now this is clearly how my account was hacked 3 times. Clearly by trying to be outspoken for honesty and making the game fair, all it does is attract a scum hacker that decides you are a perfect target. Apparently it's the more experienced people in Jagex mostly to blame and such an unfair lot to the decent workers there that they force the honest people out one way or the other. Even these upset people have gone online to let the public know how to hack accounts aswell, but this now hits even more of us honest players.

This simply seems like Internet Fraud and they use the addictiveness of the game to control it.