Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much does it REALLY cost?

ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

I've just started getting back into Allds as a part-time game, since I don't really have time to sink into my favorites anymore (EQ2, Vanguard, and WAR) what with work and all.

So, I'm now reading that people spend upwards of... what was it... 5000$ for runes in Allods? This really seems like one of those made-up numbers that people use for fearmongering. I can't see anything in the CS that costs more than about 20-30$.

So, in the grand scheme of things, how much would it cost to level up and participate in some endgame PvE and airship battles? I want real numbers from real Allods endgamers, not mmorpg.com trolls who will jsut say OMFG IT'S P2WIN YOU MUST SPEND 60,000$ TO BE COMPETITIVE.

So, please.

Real average cost?

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

That $5000 might be a bit overdone, but the runes are a pain (in the wallet) indeed. IIRC, you can level runes up to 13. Each one needs more stones than the one before. Then you can add runes to weapon, shirt, blause and (I thought) gloves and boots. So for a total of 5 slots you can add lvl 13 runes. Lets say each level of a rune costs you $20, so your whole set on level 13 runes will be $1300 *shocked*

Sad thing is, there are actually ppl spending this much on a "F2P" game...

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

why would it matter if you needed to pay $1000 or $10000.  the fact that you're willing to spend for f2p games to that extent is what's causing the companies to have such crappy CS.  but anyway, you wouldn't even spend near that much for a p2p.  say if you play a p2p every month for 3 years. thats like 15 x 12 x 3 = $540. the difference is that you acutally play a quality game.

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

Each level of runes doesn't cost $20, far from it. To make a rune one level higher you need 2 runes of the level below it and then combine those with more and more crystal chips. So roughly the cost is about  2,5 times the cost of the runes the level below  (at bit less probably but not that much).

6 level 4 runes you can get for $30, 6 level 5 runes are about $75, you're looking at around $200 for level 6's, which is endgame requirement if you want to avoid being oneshot by the higher bosses.

You can see where this is going right? Each level will let you deal 10% more damage and healing and reduce the damage you take by something in the same order. So if you just forked over close to $500 for level 7's and you run into a 8/9 though luck you'll lose, though you might make it two to one. Now if your idea of fun is killing lowbies then you'll be plenty strong with level 7 runes, but you'd better run when some well runed guy comes to their aid. Even level 6 is good, but you'll just have to domore running when help shows up.

The highest level runes in the game are 11-12 at the moment. If you want to get into a game where you'll be forced to fork over an exponential amount of money to get and stay ahead, then this is it.

There are of course things like a larger bank and more bagspace, mounts and mount feed and what not. But if you really had to you could almost do without all that, the runes however are unavoidable.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• badchicnbadchicn Member Posts: 7

These prices are just insane. The end-game is obviously the cash shop. What is the point of playing? To beat people up with your wallet?

I don't mind buying items that make my gameplay easier. Bags, mounts, double experience, etc.. At some point I like to actually play to become more powerful.

• ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by nhavas

<snip>

It's about $500 to get started at end game and about $15,000 to be fully equipped (by which I mean all level 13 runes) as far as I can remember.

If that's not stupid, I don't know what is.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • bfpiercelkbfpiercelk Member UncommonPosts: 47

So my question is where are these dollar figures coming from? I'm new to the game and trying to figure it all out... the rest of the cash shop items that I would be interested in (talent/skill resets, bag space) are all optional and i'd hardly use them, but the runes have my confused.

http://allods.wikia.com/wiki/Rune_Levels_and_Costs

Just reading though this, there's the 525 Gpotatoes for the engraving kits (that's $5.25)

Crystal Chips and Gold Dust, are they obtainable ingame or only through the cash shop? Are the runes themselves ONLY obtainable through the cash shop? Or is there some point where you can only get certain level runes through the CS?

I guess my question is are these dollar figures you guys are spouting for people who want to put in 0 farming to get these runes? I read on another thread that you could get to level 6 runes without putting any actual cash into the game.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Is this for real? How can they justify something like this? That's outrageous! For these prices, you could buy a brand new Crysis 2 Ready computer >.<.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Click here to win your game for only 10 dolla.

Click here to win 10 games for only 19.99 (you never even have to install them, it is instant victory guaranteed).

• bfpiercelkbfpiercelk Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by kjempff

Click here to win your game for only 10 dolla.

Click here to win 10 games for only 19.99 (you never even have to install them, it is instant victory guaranteed).

Thanks for the insanely useful post, and I actually questioned asking a question to this community lol

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

It is true f2p games cost more than p2p games.  You have to watch you wallet.  They suck you in the same way a slot machine in Vagas pulls in little old ladies.  Be true to yourself and ask yourself often, "How much am I spending on this game?"  "Is it worth it or is there a p2p game I passed up that I would rather of played?" 

In my personal expirience I spent $40 on Fiesta (f2p) in less than two weeks and quit because of it.  I will never let myself do that again.  Now I subscribe to RIFT and really like the game.  But I also play Mabinogi (f2p) and continue to buy pets.  I feel Mabinogi was a very unusual game and I'm proud to help fund it because of it's unique music leveling that I've never seen anywhere.  That was one case where f2p was worth the $$$ to me.

But f2p is never truly free.

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

ive just blown a fortune in WOT, around £50 in a few weeks and for that reason i just re-subbed to wow to get away from it - the f2p model is to drain more cash than a monthly sub from you and im that shocked at me wasting money in wot, im going to stay away from f2p games in future and just sub the monthly only's

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

thank you for this thread. I am avoiding these "free to play" models that cost more than pay to play.

i played a game once where they had a cash shop item where you would right click on the item and have the potential to get a godly item.

a friend of mine spent almost 900 dollars, got evicted and went into debt.

Pay to play games are safer and more reliable. I was looking into this game but will turn away solely because of this. Sad that companies are ripping people off with the "idea" of a free to play game. I played atlantica for a while and reliazed i spent 40 dollars in a month on it after that , i am really just avoiding these cash shop games.

-Demmi

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

Not being funny but all that some of these posts are saying to me is that people can't control their spending and can't hack just having fun even if it means being second best.

All these anecdotal quotes about a friend who spent loads and had problems etc, show me that if it hadn't been a game causing financial problems it would have been something else that hooked them. 

I play Allods because its fun and because I like the feel of it.  I haven't spent a single quid.  More bag space might be in the offing and a mount maybe just so I can move around quicker.  If it gets to the point where I no longer enjoy it for whatever reason be it financial or its just crap then I will just move on as there are plenty of other time wasters out there. 

PC games cost about £30 a pop and I have played this game longer than anything I have bought from Steam.  Allods saves me about £30 to £60 a month by stopping me from purchasing short term crap that passes itself off for a game these days. 

People seem to forget that if someone feels thay have to spend hundreds or even thousands on a game, if that game vanished they would still spend the same amount of cash on something else. 

Financial irresponsibility is not the games fault.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by B1mble

Not being funny but all that some of these posts are saying to me is that people can't control their spending and can't hack just having fun even if it means being second best.

All these anecdotal quotes about a friend who spent loads and had problems etc, show me that if it hadn't been a game causing financial problems it would have been something else that hooked them. 

I play Allods because its fun and because I like the feel of it.  I haven't spent a single quid.  More bag space might be in the offing and a mount maybe just so I can move around quicker.  If it gets to the point where I no longer enjoy it for whatever reason be it financial or its just crap then I will just move on as there are plenty of other time wasters out there. 

PC games cost about £30 a pop and I have played this game longer than anything I have bought from Steam.  Allods saves me about £30 to £60 a month by stopping me from purchasing short term crap that passes itself off for a game these days. 

People seem to forget that if someone feels thay have to spend hundreds or even thousands on a game, if that game vanished they would still spend the same amount of cash on something else. 

Financial irresponsibility is not the games fault.

I think the point of the thread is that it costs alot of money to "enjoy" the end game. if you play end game and spend no money then i may give it a go , and i don't mind spending money on a game i enjoy but advertising free to play and being forced to spend upwards of a thousand dollars in a short time is a bit much.

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

Originally posted by Demmi77

I think the point of the thread is that it costs alot of money to "enjoy" the end game. if you play end game and spend no money then i may give it a go , and i don't mind spending money on a game i enjoy but advertising free to play and being forced to spend upwards of a thousand dollars in a short time is a bit much.

I was responding to the people stating that they or so and so had spent a lot of cash they shouldnt have on a game.  As for "being forced to spend upwards of a thousand dollars in a short time is a bit much."  I would be interested in how a company  "forces" anybody to spend money. 

Personally, and this is just me, if it is going to cost above a certain limit I just walk away and find something else.  A game is not my life and does not rule it.  It is a temporary distraction that helps me relax and have fun for a finite period of time.  If Allods end game is"truly"  like that then I will play until I get bored and leave for something else. 

Maybe if everybody did that instead of being "forced" to pay then the company would change its tune with regards to its cash shop model.

Again I state "Financial irresponsibility is not the games fault".

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

When I played it once 2010 you could play it for free but you needed atleast 5€ for something I cant remember right now. Some guys told me that you have to spent around 10-14€ in order to get along well.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

I was responding to the people stating that they or so and so had spent a lot of cash they shouldnt have on a game.  As for "being forced to spend upwards of a thousand dollars in a short time is a bit much."  I would be interested in how a company  "forces" anybody to spend money. 

Personally, and this is just me, if it is going to cost above a certain limit I just walk away and find something else.  A game is not my life and does not rule it.  It is a temporary distraction that helps me relax and have fun for a finite period of time.  If Allods end game is"truly"  like that then I will play until I get bored and leave for something else. 

Maybe if everybody did that instead of being "forced" to pay then the company would change its tune with regards to its cash shop model.

Pretty much what B1mble said. These companies know they can exploit dumb people because they want to be #1 in an online video game. Literally buying yourself a first place trophy, it's sad the way kids think these days. It's a whole part of newer generations being raised on the self esteem movement, telling everybody they're special and unique little snowflakes.

Because of these idiots who buy into the idea of being #1 through money, as opposed to working for it, we all have to suffer.  I mean honestly, if you were the owner of this game, and you saw how much bank you could make by exploiting stupid kids, you would do it too.

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by Asamof

Pretty much what B1mble said. These companies know they can exploit dumb people because they want to be #1 in an online video game. Literally buying yourself a first place trophy, it's sad the way kids think these days. It's a whole part of newer generations being raised on the self esteem movement, telling everybody they're special and unique little snowflakes.

Because of these idiots who buy into the idea of being #1 through money, as opposed to working for it, we all have to suffer.  I mean honestly, if you were the owner of this game, and you saw how much bank you could make by exploiting stupid kids, you would do it too.

Hence we have to boycott all f2p mmos so that the cash shops would lose their power and people like me who haven't ever paid for any mmo (f2p or p2p) may one day think f2ps are more than a piece of crap.

well I've pretty much stopped playing them for a while anyway.  PC games seem to be of higher quality and I don't expect to ragequit on them.

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by crunk001

When I played it once 2010 you could play it for free but you needed atleast 5€ for something I cant remember right now. Some guys told me that you have to spent around 10-14€ in order to get along well.

That was in the period of the worst monetisation patches (Gipat being the real killer). Now you don't need to spend a dime on the game if you put in the time. Incense free, Charms are free, just upgrading runes will have you raiding the auction house for CS source chips.

There's a history to it, developer went bankrupt, game bought bu mail.ru, turned the game into forced2pay, around 80 percent of players ragequit. They saw they overdid it with the monetisation thing, made more and more things free again and the game is slowly recovering from this attempted hold-up turned into a near genocide.

With the latest patch gold is easier to obtain too, if you're high level. If you don't have a credit card, but do have lots of time on your hands, you should be able to make it all the way to endgame. Kirah and Isle of Revelation will make your life easier than it used to be when there was only GT or even Gipat (blech). There is more to do now, but a lot of that comes from dialy quests. If you also dislike dailies, well then levelling all the way won't be to your liking.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...