Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Wednesday, August 31. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

last good first-person fantasy RPG that's not Elder Scrolls or M&M or a mmorpg?

ThrakkThrakk Athens, GAPosts: 1,226Member

I'm curious about everyone's opinion on the last good first-person fantasy rpg (that's not elder scrolls, might and magic or a mmorpg).

Shoot

Comments

• Sain34Sain34 Las Cruces, NMPosts: 293Member Uncommon

EQ

• ThrakkThrakk Athens, GAPosts: 1,226Member

Is it just me or has this genre of games really dissappeared from the the market over the past decade?

There was a time when first-person fantasy-realm RPGs were everywhere. It seems like a waste of a good genre not to continue making this kind of game. Bethesda proved that this genre can be a real popular cash cow so I don't know why other companies aren't even trying to make the same style of games.

What a waste

EQ doesn't count because it's a mmorpg

• japojapo Sedona, AZPosts: 306Member

There were none before The Elder Scrolls....and none since.

Umm....49.

Tell me what they were...or are.  Or give me your definition of "good".

I would say the Thief series...but that was more of an Adventure game.

I never got into the Gothic games...and System Shock and Deus Ex aren't fantasy.

Betrayal at Krondor was okay...but I don't remember if that was First Person or not.

So I stand by me earlier statement. 

single player first-person fantasy-realm RPGs used to be a big thing. stuff like Wizardry VI VII & VIII, Lands of Lore 1 & 2, Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, Dungeon Hack, Arx Fatalis and Might and Magic VI, VII & VIII

• JennysMindJennysMind Tucson, AZPosts: 881Member

Fallout 3

Originally posted by Alekhin

Fallout 3

I don't consider that game to be in a fantasy realm (by the standard definition of fantasy)

hmm, I just found one on ign called Wizards & Warriors (2000). I'll have to look into it.

such a shame that companies aren't trying to follow in Bethesda's footsteps

Yup....I was there.

Stonekeep too....but again, for me, all those were just okay.  I"m trying to remember the name of another one...the music was awesome...kind of creepy.  There was a huge wall in the starting area and the first objective was to get beyond that wall.  It's gonna drive me crazy until I think of it.

I'll agree with Lands of Lore though....forgot about that one.

Nothing has grabbed me and kept me interested like The Elder Scrolls series. 

I don't think I ever finished any of those other games.

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 6,409Member Rare

Originally posted by Thrakk

hmm, I just found one on ign called Wizards & Warriors (2000). I'll have to look into it.

such a shame that companies aren't trying to follow in Bethesda's footsteps

Need a tissue?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• HipsterHipster St Charles, MOPosts: 69Member

Risen (forgot if it was first person though)

• TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member

Gothic 3 is pretty damn good now when it's fixed.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• ErstokErstok LOL wut, NYPosts: 523Member

Planescape: Torment.

Now go outside and stop posting on the internet.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• xKingdomxxKingdomx SydneyPosts: 1,541Member Uncommon

Easy

Minecraft!

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid GinnungagapPosts: 8,031Member Rare

hexen  lol

edit: nevermind..... i missunderstood the title of the post D:  for some reason i did read "last first person rpg i played"...

naughty english comprehension

• WolfenprideWolfenpride San''doria, WIPosts: 3,988Member

Lots of good 3rd person RPG's that have come out recently, Two Worlds 2, Risen, Divinity 2 to name a few.

But the only somewhat recent first person games that come to mind beyond bethesda's stuff is like..Wizardry 8, Arx Fatalis, and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

• OntblodOntblod swedenPosts: 190Member Uncommon

Originally posted by japo

Yup....I was there.
    Stonekeep too....but again, for me, all those were just okay.  s.

My first PC game, crawling in the corridors/dungeons wondering what and when I would enter the outside wouldnt that be cool but it never came lol. Those were the days when patches was a not known concept, I didnt even have internet back then. The game was buggy in the icewitch realm, crashed on me every time.

But then Morrowind came........

• sudosudo Tel-AvivPosts: 697Member Uncommon

I don't think that it has direct connection to the might & magic series (imo it doesn't because it has absolutely nothing in common with them but the name) but you might want to try this game out:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

It's a bit too much of an fps for my taste but it might just be what you are looking for.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• tank017tank017 Glendale, CAPosts: 2,192Member

Heretic?

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Doomed, NCPosts: 302Member

It seems like first person RP games mostly died out when console gaming swept the market away from the PC. As a matter of fact, I can't remember a "good" first person "fantasy" RPG outside of Bethesda's series off the top of my head...

*Is Sad.*

• PigozzPigozz CPosts: 842Member

Albion

Even tho the game changed first person with 3rd person..still one of the best RPGs out there (not considering Planescape, thats like comparing sentence to book )

MMOs played chronologically:
    Runescape,Lineage II, WoW,Tabula Rasa, AoC,Eve Online,Guild Wars, Rift(beta only),SWTOR(beta only),Star Trek Online
    Most fun: Tabula Rasa

• AnubisanAnubisan Boulder, COPosts: 1,798Member Uncommon

I've never played any GOOD games of this type except for the Elder Scrolls series. Fortunately we have another one of those coming out soon!

• markh777markh777 Rutland, VTPosts: 143Member Uncommon

Kings Field