Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall is still the Best mmo

oscarkool2oscarkool2 Member Posts: 127

So I find myself back at Darkfall Online yet again.  While the developers aren't the best dev team out there (probably one of the worst), they've still managed to create a game that keeps drawing me back to it.

Yes, most gamers can't handle getting ganked by more developed characters.  We know this.  WoW has made most mmorpg players into wussies.  But for those of us gamers that CAN handle it and don't get butthurt, there simply isn't a better game on the market at the moment.

For one, there is no linear gameplay.  A friend of mine just joined and on his 2nd day I took him to a siege which he said was more fun than any mmo experience he's ever had.  And he's been playing mmo's since wow first released.

The FPS combat.  There's currently no mmorpg doing it.  It makes other mmorpgs simply boring.  You have to aim your arrows, aim spells, swing your sword in the right direction, etc.  It makes all the other tab-targeting games a snorefest.

Now the game does get old like any other game.  Like I said I'm coming back to it.  But it always feels great to come back to because it's just such a different game compared to everything out there.  I usually go about 3 months on and take a break for a month and then come back again.

The game is hard to get into due to lack of hand holding and in-game tutorials.  But there are tutorials on youtube that can show you the right direction for new characters.  So for all you lurkers out there that just enjoy reading these boards, try out Darkfall.  You'll like getting away from tab targeting.  And for everyone already playing darkfall, we already know it's the best out there.  Which is sad considering how slow the devs are lol.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Sorry but First Person Combat is just one of the many things wrong with Darkfall.   

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

If you were to say "Darkfall is the best MMORPG in the Sandbox/Full Loot PvP/First-Person/Twitch Based combat" category, I would probably agree with you, but the best MMORPG of all time? That's pushing it =P.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Darkfall is not a sandbox .... is just a big arena.

• VespuraVespura Member Posts: 71

I hate that game. I farmed bosses for 3 hours and some dude came up, killed me, and took everything.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Just the title of the thread itself makes me laugh. Sorry OP but your game is niche and it's directed at a small minority in the mmo gaming market. Deal with it, that's never going to change.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

You said your friend  went on a seige his second day?

My guess is he spent his first day casting fireballs into the sky while unattended macroing so he could get skillups.  The game is a joke compared to modern games... it is like they went back to the early days of UO and failed to correct any of the exploits and problems.  Congratulations for making a game without levels, and instead going with skills.. skills that you can only really raise by unattended macroing overnight.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

I have played Darkfall.  I agree it is the best MMO ever... for gankers. For normal players, not so much.  My opinion.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

Originally posted by Azrile

You said your friend  went on a seige his second day?

My guess is he spent his first day casting fireballs into the sky while unattended macroing so he could get skillups.  The game is a joke compared to modern games... it is like they went back to the early days of UO and failed to correct any of the exploits and problems.  Congratulations for making a game without levels, and instead going with skills.. skills that you can only really raise by unattended macroing overnight.

Ya they made some really weird development choices. Totally ruined alot of this games potential. No explanation.

But it's still a great game if you actually play it. Great PVP. Brings out real emotion. great sense of danger, absolute wet dream of the pure explorer. totally worth every penny for just that experience alone. No game ive played comes close. Only game I know of that you can literally get scared at seeing your own shadow. That's the shit games are supposed to do imo.

However it also has problems in other's point of view equally as great. Cant deny those.

People can pick any game apart, so enjoy. But, the mmorpg that has the best PVP comes from  Darkfall. The mmorpg with the best A.I. comes from Darkfall. The MMOrpg that has the best exploration comes from Darkfall. Joke of the Industry. Not bad considering the vaporware campaign.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by oscarkool2

Yes, most gamers can't handle getting ganked by more developed characters.  We know this.  WoW has made most mmorpg players into wussies.  But for those of us gamers that CAN handle it and don't get butthurt, there simply isn't a better game on the market at the moment.

I did not bother much with the rest of the post, overall it's the same story all the time, but this part is simply inacurate. DarkFall is a niche game, so WoW turning players into wussies doesn't really have anything to do with it.

If you look at older titles like UO or SB, yes players could get killed by more developed characters, but maxing ou to cap in UO took slightly over a month for a casual, and in SB a good Lv.30-35 *could* defeat a Lv.70 if he played right. DarkFall does not allow this as much, the gap is incredibly high because of bad design choices mostly. So it's not that players can't handle it, but they don't even have any mean to escape either. If new players had access to means to defend themselves more easily (not to kill, but merely defend, giving them an opportunity for an escape or such), then it would be a lot easier for new players. But there's no such thing, WoF prevents newbs from running away, blinds will screw them up entirely, and should they ever manage to get a little far, the developed character can simply outrun the new player using bunny hopping even if the new player is on a mount. It's like throwing a bunch of Call Of Duty newbs in the same team and have them face a God Mod user, no matter what they do, they won't win.

Also, FPS Combat like DarkFall....Planetside. Air Rivals, NeoCron (2), Tabula Rasa (RIP), Mortal Online (which is a pure 100% FPS), Black Prophecy, Earthrise, and there's more.

• WearacupWearacup Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by Vespura

I hate that game. I farmed bosses for 3 hours and some dude came up, killed me, and took everything.

Single best advertisement for Darkfall to date. Thanks for helping me remember why I like this genre. Now I want to go buy the game so I can kill lost WoW/Trammies looking to see how the other side lives. Too funny. LOL!

Trammies need to stop polluting the MMORPG landscape. They already have enough games in which to emote hugs and sell garbage by the banks.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by Wearacup

Originally posted by Vespura

Single best advertisement for Darkfall to date. Thanks for helping me remember why I like this genre. Now I want to go buy the game so I can kill lost WoW/Trammies looking to see how the other side lives. Too funny. LOL!

Followed up by the single best advertisement against Darkfall to date.  Fortunately for your genre, your kind is the reason why games like this will never become successful enough to destroy the path of the MMO industry.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

If you were to say "Darkfall is the best MMORPG in the Sandbox/Full Loot PvP/First-Person/Twitch Based combat" category, I would probably agree with you, but the best MMORPG of all time? That's pushing it =P.

I dont know one mainstream mmorpg that is not lobby base. Darkfall is one of the few who keep it open world. With that being said, other mmorpg's, i can hardly call them mmo since you cannot play with the whole player base in one place. While in darkfall, its possible to do more then 100 vs 100.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

I dont know one mainstream mmorpg that is not lobby base. Darkfall is one of the few who keep it open world. With that being said, other mmorpg's, i can hardly call them mmo since you cannot play with the whole player base in one place. While in darkfall, its possible to do more then 100 vs 100.

... EVE had a battle with over 3000 players a couple of months ago if I remember. Also a few other MMOs like Pandora Saga which supports over 200 players in PvP (3 faction PvP), etc.

Open World or not is not relevant to the or scale of a PvP encounter, it's how it's programmed that determines the size.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

I was in EVE battles with over 300 on each side. Was a blast. I just never had a easy income for cash in EVE, and I don't have the time. EVE just started feeliing like I needed a in game day job. I work enough in real life.

• GadzyGadzy Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

... EVE had a battle with over 3000 players a couple of months ago if I remember. Also a few other MMOs like Pandora Saga which supports over 200 players in PvP (3 faction PvP), etc.

Open World or not is not relevant to the or scale of a PvP encounter, it's how it's programmed that determines the size.

Well, EVE large scale battles are basically text based.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

If you look at older titles like UO or SB, yes players could get killed by more developed characters, but maxing ou to cap in UO took slightly over a month for a casual, and in SB a good Lv.30-35 *could* defeat a Lv.70 if he played right. DarkFall does not allow this as much, the gap is incredibly high because of bad design choices mostly.

Bullcrap. It all depends on skill. I bet best DF pvpers would kill your maxed character with 2 weeks noob.

Originally posted by Kshahdoo

If you look at older titles like UO or SB, yes players could get killed by more developed characters, but maxing ou to cap in UO took slightly over a month for a casual, and in SB a good Lv.30-35 *could* defeat a Lv.70 if he played right. DarkFall does not allow this as much, the gap is incredibly high because of bad design choices mostly.

Bullcrap. It all depends on skill. I bet best DF pvpers would kill your maxed character with 2 weeks noob.

Doubt it. Even if they were to macro for 2 weeks straight and get gear from their main character or Clan, the gap is quite large.  And now imagine how hard it would be for a real new player....you know, new players who won't be macro'ing for 2 weeks straight in order to have a "chance" at killing a Vet, nor will they be receiving any gear from Clans or Mains because they don't have one....

The one saying "bullcrap" here is you.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Kshahdoo

Doubt it. Even if they were to macro for 2 weeks straight and get gear from their main character or Clan, the gap is quite large.  And now imagine how hard it would be for a real new player....you know, new players who won't be macro'ing for 2 weeks straight in order to have a "chance" at killing a Vet, nor will they be receiving any gear from Clans or Mains because they don't have one....

The one saying "bullcrap" here is you.

there is an imbalance in this game from levels.. but.. i think they are working on reducing the impact..  .. it may not be the best mmo ever.. but its definitely a work in progress.. so not to be written off entirely.. yet..image

• elistrangeelistrange Member Posts: 157

Personally, I enjoy the "idea" of DarkFall. As a EVE player I respect what they are trying to do. However, I hate FPS. I get dizzy. 

Currently Play: ?
    Occasionally Play: Champions, Pirates of the Burning Sea, WOW, EVE ONLINE

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Darkfall ain't no MMO, it's a huge arena deathmatch, just like Earthrise.

The only MMORPG with a working implementation of FFA PvP is EvE Online, as it has safer areas, where there's consequences for ganking people mindlessly and there's actually something else to do then only PvPing or grinding mobs the whole day.

Again. Darkfall ain't no MMO... just a huge arena deathmatch and I rather play Unreal Tournament in that case.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Rather than being "ganked" everywhere, safe areas as in towns, would be nice to have. Darkfall does remind me allot of UO when it first came out. Lots of ganking then with little help from city guards. Challenging but fun to try to develop your character

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

I agree its probly one of the best mmos out currently but what gets to me sometimes is the amount of binds a higher end toon needs to be effective. The UI truely is still a pile of trash so much so that the players have no choice but to use programs like auto hot key to get anything done.

I can't wait for the UI revamp because to be honest DFOs UI is starting to get on my nerves so much that I'm almost prepared to /cancel sub until AV gets off their asses and does something to fix it.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• GadzyGadzy Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by zymurgeist

All large scale battles are basically text based. The client displays the actions graphically and transmits the keyboard input to the server, the server integrates the inputs determines the outcome and sends the results to the client ro display, what is transmitted is just ascii. It's not much above morse code really. The real trick is optimizing the netcode and the way the server handles the throughput. EVE is head and shoulders above anything else out there even though it's programmed in a mostly obsolete language. I don't care for EVE but you have to admnire the technology. Darkfall has crap for technology but the game concept is more attractive to me. It's too bad the skill system is such a lackluster grindfest.

I see that you're trying to sound smart, but this is just stupid..

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

I wan ted to like DFO but the UI is so terrible, I want to see what their going to do with it before i re-sub.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

This game has the worst, most poorly made User Interface of any game, single or multiplayer, that I have ever played.  Love the concepts in the game but it needs a graphical and UI overhaul, and I'm sure a lot more things I don't know because I haven't played it long term at all.

This discussion has been closed.