Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Charr Trailer, Background & Screens

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Arena.Net and the Guild Wars 2 team have partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers an exclusive look at the Charr. We've got a terrific trailer of the starting area for the Charr, a pair of screens and an article with the rich background history of the feline race. Check it out and then leave a comment or two.

The feline charr of Tyria are a victorious race challenged by their own success. They have survived defeat, oppression, and civil war, but have returned, reconquered and rebuilt their original homes. Their mighty fortress, the Black Citadel, dominates the surrounding ruins of the human city of Rin, and their non-magical technology is the mightiest in the land. Yet despite their success, they are challenged by divisions among their people, the power of the Elder Dragons, and the ghosts of their own victories.

Read more about Guild Wars 2: Charr Trailer, Background & Screens.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

... nice trailer.  Wait... Charr have CARS?  ... and tanks?  Crazy.  ... kind of makes me wonder how they could possibly lose to the humans in any of the fights they were in before the peace treaty...

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Meowhead

... nice trailer.  Wait... Charr have CARS?  ... and tanks?  Crazy.  ... kind of makes me wonder how they could possibly lose to the humans in any of the fights they were in before the peace treaty...

Asuran magic! *spits* cheaters!

This is not a game.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Wow. Very different feel with all that metal, flame, smoke and steam-junk engineering!

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Wow. Very different feel with all that metal, flame, smoke and steam-junk engineering!

They don't really use steam though, they use clockwork... and apparently lots of coal. :)

• sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137

Not just cars.... friggin batmobiles!

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

They don't really use steam though, they use clockwork... and apparently lots of coal. :)

Does it matter?

I just love the char setting, and if i would not have been born a human i deffinately would have choosen char.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Does it matter?

I just love the char setting, and if i would not have been born a human i deffinately would have choosen char.

Well, people call it steampunk, or use the word steam, but the main writer for GW2 insists it's clockpunk.  So it's just a little inaccurate to talk about steam, when apparently Charr think water + fire = dumb idea. XD

• DraeghorDraeghor Member UncommonPosts: 50

I was so lookign forward to rollign a Charr, but with gun-blades and cars, it just does nto seem like the ferocious Charr I remember that sieged ascalon with Catapults and massive war bands.  I hope they have not taken them into the wrong direction.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Draeghor

I was so lookign forward to rollign a Charr, but with gun-blades and cars, it just does nto seem like the ferocious Charr I remember that sieged ascalon with Catapults and massive war bands.  I hope they have not taken them into the wrong direction.

You have to consider that this is hundreds of years in the future. EVERYTHING has evolved since then, as it should be. How long could you expect Charr, which were already pretty intelligent, to stay savage and feral?

In the original GW keep in mind that we never really saw Charr homes, we just saw the lands where they roamed. So really, it's hard to say it wasn't always like this. We just knew they liked metal, were intelligent enough to talk and form plans and try to take their lands back, etc. Seeing their home and starting area now, none of that seems very far-fetched to me.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Originally posted by Draeghor

You have to consider that this is hundreds of years in the future. EVERYTHING has evolved since then, as it should be. How long could you expect Charr, which were already pretty intelligent, to stay savage and feral?

In the original GW keep in mind that we never really saw Charr homes, we just saw the lands where they roamed. So really, it's hard to say it wasn't always like this. We just knew they liked metal, were intelligent enough to talk and form plans and try to take their lands back, etc. Seeing their home and starting area now, none of that seems very far-fetched to me.

Also consider that the Charr was under the yoke of the Flame Legion. They have obviously changed their culture since breaking free of the Flame Legion.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

My first character was going to be of the Asura race....Now I think it will be a Charr. I do like the technical advances they gave the Charr. I cant wait to give this game a try.

• It was like a scene about the Empire in a Star Wars film; actually it reminded me even more of the Lord of the Rings movies when Saruman turned his tower into a war machine.

In any case it is hard not to admire GW2.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Not my race of choice, but have to admit A-Net have done a fine job on making those mofo's look badass!!

Just wish the fekin game would hurry up and release.  I've got the whole of my anual holiday entitlement waiting to be booked for this.

~Wolf

• brokenrulebrokenrule Member Posts: 6

@ the guy who says "Wait... Charr have CARS?  ... and tanks?  Crazy.  ... kind of makes me wonder how they could possibly lose to the humans in any of the fights they were in before the peace treaty..."

We were getting out asses whopped by the charr they were never losing the war. The only time were we had a moment of breath was because We've finnaly finsih the construction of the great wall of ascolon. That only delayed them, now humans are an endangered race

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Steam uses lots of coal, I doubt the Charr derive energy stright from the rock itself?

No point in having coal tbh if your not buring it to make steam...

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

lol cars....

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Falcomith

My first character was going to be of the Asura race....Now I think it will be a Charr. I do like the technical advances they gave the Charr. I cant wait to give this game a try.

agreed on both accounts:)

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

I think I'm definitely rolling Charr.

I always wanted to play as one in GW1. I don't mind the change to a more technologically advanced race. I mean, they weren't really technologically inept before; they had the power of siege weapons and were obviously better equiped than the humans were in Ascalon.

Also, it's not like other races don't have new weapons. Sharp melee weapons are still used by all races, and guns are introduced to all races.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by Swanea

lol cars....

They are siege engines, tanks if you will. Upgrade versions of Siege Devourers.