Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xsyon Earth 2012: Prelude: The Official Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com Survivor Guy has been playing a lot of Xsyon lately, enough so that he's ready to reveal the official MMORPG.com review of the game. See what Adam thinks of Xsyon and then let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Post-apocalyptic settings are all the rage these days. There is nothing better than a pandemic or assured nuclear destruction to really get our brain boxes into gear. We salivate about the possibilities of scrounging for the last can of processed meat or watching a loved one give birth in an abandoned “slip ‘n’ slide”. Yes, the gaming community is hot for all things human extinction and Xsyon is another such title to give more food for thought about future possibilities.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Xsyon Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I'm really surprised to read this review after all of the previously glowing things that MMORPG staff had to say about this game...

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

"Is there an actual "game" to Xsyon?"

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

I've tried this game and it's yet another game released (had to buy the game to try) but not complete.  Listed features are unavailable or not in game such as roof/floors and cooking.  WURM online with it's 80's graphics is far better.

I wish WURM and FE would merge.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by mastersomrat
    I wish WURM and FE would merge.

Man, FE would have been the ultimate, had they gone the sandboxy route.. so sad.

• darkbladeddarkbladed Member Posts: 193

Well one reason that people are buidling elaberate fortresses with moats and what-not is that there will, in the future, be the ability to attack tribal lands;

Tribes can either tag themselves as peaceful or warring, warring tribes can have their town raided and raid other warring towns and peaceful tribes will not be able to take part in the tribe vs tribe pvp.

Also it has been talked abotu that when you get farther away from the starting areas that those areas MAY be free for all PVP (aka all tribes in those areas will be warring, similar to EVEs zero space)

Truthfully this is a great game if you are motivated to make the gameplay yourself you will have fun; if not you wont.

It is a sandbox in the truest set of the words and 80% of players are not going to be accustomed to that style.

If you are missing early SWG (minus npc mobs) or UO then at least give it a try.

I would wait at least 3 months from now for anyone to really try it to let a bit more content seep in; as even for a sandbox there is relatively little.

• steelscoutsteelscout Member UncommonPosts: 103

It was absolutely obvious that Xsyon in its present form would be a game that might have some nice ideas, but is years away from being a publishable/playable game.
    But you should have seen those forum-vultures flame on me, when I dared to (carefully) address this problem.

Well, another game that'll die before ever really coming to life.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

I agree with the review they have a great idea but I played it the game is no where near finished at this point, but it is a game I think will get a much better review when they re-review it.

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375

{mod edit}

Second , they mentioned that they will remove the so called safe zones as the game progresses

And third , from reading your review i can not help but sense u sir have a wow player mentality.

It's like all u did in the game was look for the bad things...

I canceled my preorder due to the game not being finished yes but this review is total bs sorry.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Originally posted by Filterheadz

{mod edit}

Second , they mentioned that they will remove the so called safe zones as the game progresses

And third , from reading your review i can not help but sense u sir have a wow player mentality.

It's like all u did in the game was look for the bad things...

I canceled my preorder due to the game not being finished yes but this review is total bs sorry.

Are you seriously bashing the reviewer because he didn't go google online to learn how to play the game?   That's just silly.  You shouldn't have to go scour the internet looking for some sort of guide to learn how to play the game you just shelled out money for.

I don't know about his WoW player mentality, but this is the same guy who also spent a fair amount of time in Darkfall and Mortal Online.

I seriously can't tell if your serious or if that's some sort of troll post.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Review is a bit skewed towards mainstream games we have on the markete now, I guess the reviewer is too spoiled by current mmos. But some things he mentiones are spot on and I think that 6.8 is just fine for the state the game is in.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

After reading the Xsyon survivor articles( which were very entertaining btw :) ),  I kind of expected a review like this. It was already reflected in those articles.

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

"Xsyon really fills me with confusing emotions. On the one hand it is a game which is easy to love, the graphics have a certain charm, it is immersive, the crafting elements are sublime - but on the other I really question just if there is an actual "game" to it all."

Welcome to the wonderful world of the proverbial sandbox.  This is what everyone wants supposedly.  Make your own "game". 

• StekkyStekky Member Posts: 36

6.8?!!

For reference,  thats tenths of a point away from Age of Conan (quite a good launch tbh) and  far higher than both Darkfall (few tenths of a point away from Darkfall- 2 years later)  and Earthrise releases.     

Sounds like its either a pretty high score!      

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

This is a really high score for a game with no direction.

For those of you who think the safe zones will be removed ( unless Jordy has changed directions, Again) the developers have stated very clearly that there will always be safe zones for those who wish them. As a tribe you will be required to turn your safe zone off if you wish to engage in tribe to tribe warfare ( when its implemented). Tribes that do not wish to ever fight amongst other tribes will ALWAYS have their safe zones. Granted stepping out of the tribal area is a virtual arena pit.

The review was very fair ...  his lack of direction at the begining is symptomatic of the design direction they took the game. Several times the Devs stated they wanted the players to figure things out I.E : Stats ,  skills ,  recipes , resource uses , resource respawns, etc etc ..  This direction in information flow to the player base might have been a hit, until you find out that the real reason nothing was clearly outlined is because the Developers themselves didn't know where everything fit. Stats are still mostly a nonworking joke, resource respawns are just now begining to be work on.

The game has alot of potential .... but its truely only for the die hards right now.

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

This game deserves a Much lower review.  With the amount of bugs and weak systems,  This game is in Alpha state.  

U can't launch a game with 4 monster types almost exstinct, and NO ranged combat.  

Id have given it a 5.5.  Then maybe re-review it in a Year.

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

Theres no way u can review this higher than Darkfall.   This website just gets worst and worst

• vktra79vktra79 Member Posts: 34

The review is ok, but the final score is ridiculous.

6.8 is extremely high compared to some other MMORPG.com reviews. Like Stekky said Darkfall and Earthrise, which are much better games than this joke Xsyon got lower scores and Age of Conan is light years ahead of that thing called game and yet, its score is close. This is sad, very sad.

You need to review your score policy, something is very very wrong.

• ArmaniDevilArmaniDevil Member Posts: 83

6.8 is far too generous a score for this Alpha stage shell.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

I see this game as work in progress and I bought it knowing exactly what I'm getting into - I'm not "buying a product", instead I'm playing the role of "a patron of the arts".

That being said, a bit more astute readers will notice scenes of fierce zombie bashing in the screenshots presented in the review. If you take a minute to read the designers manifesto on their website there is a lot of talk about "gods" "demons" "monsters" which spells PvE to me. Imo this is one feature which will upgrade Xsyon to the level of "a game". Another one mentioned by other posters is lifting of PvP limitations.

Those two features have to go hand-in-hand. If they lift PvP limitations now, while PvE component is obviously not ready to provide necessary counterbalance to PvP territorial warfare Xsyon will turn into new Darkfall - and imo this is not the devs intention. Decision to go to war should never be taken lightly. "Do we bunch up and fight the zombie horde together or do we choose to take advantage of the situation and stab our neighbors in the back, risking we all perish?" - That's the kind of dilemma I'd like to see in a "true" MMORPG.

So, I'm patient with this title. I'm not playing it at the moment but I'm paying the sub (crazy, crazy man!!). If they manage to hold on and start fleshing out other major features they have planned for the game (some of them probably quite close to release as eveident by the zombie screenshots) this will be a hugely entertaining game. I'm willing to support that. But it's just me. And I'm crazy. "Patron of the arts" lol.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by ArmaniDevil

I really wish that the philosphy espoused here:  http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/5141/Grinds-My-Gears-An-Unfinished-State-of-Being.html  would actually start to become reflected in the reviews...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Mighty_THoRMighty_THoR Member Posts: 12

to be able to review a sandbox game first you must know what the hell is a sandbox game, you cant judge a sandbox game with themepark standarts.

what a bs review.

• ArmaniDevilArmaniDevil Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Originally posted by ArmaniDevil

I really wish that the philosphy espoused here:  http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/5141/Grinds-My-Gears-An-Unfinished-State-of-Being.html  would actually start to become reflected in the reviews...

Jon should have reviewed this game. Adam seems a little wishy washy with his scoring. 

• StekkyStekky Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Spiider

{mod edit}

What the hell are you talking about?   Yes, AOC was a themepark.   Sure, it took them a few weeks to grapple with the million plus people who bought the game (very normal).       Yes,it was quite a linear game.    The fact is though,   AOC probably more-so failed in living up to the enormous hype behind it even though they built a polished and beautiful game with cookie-cutter gameplay.        I was really looking forward to AoC before it came out and a troll after it did.    Looking back though.   I had a good experience up to lvl 40.    Much more-so than I will give any of the indy dev games of late.     

Since then the only MMO's I've purchased have been Darkfall,  Mortal Online,  Xsyon and EVE.      To this day I only subscribe to EVE,  and Xsyon is the only game that I have EVER gotten a refund on.     Its not ready,  even by "indy" standards.   

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I agree with the score, and find it more than adequate.  I enjoy my time in game,  but again.. not much of a game,  still needs some work and polish,  but definitely an experience that was worth my money.