Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I played this game and I liked it.

lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

I liked it alot, it was the type of game I love playing, but there is no way in hell im staying in this game.  I'd say about 80% of the time I tried leveling or farming I got ganked by a group of 10+ griefers...if fun in this game is ganking noobs, its not for me, I'm into the thrill of PvP and the chalenge, There is no chalenge and it is no fun, I definately will not play this and I am recommending nobody who is thinking about it to play it, I wouldn't mind if it was noob v noob, but its 10 fully geared-fully leveled players vs noobs, screw that.

Comments

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

tata...

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by lennpell

I liked it alot, it was the type of game I love playing, but there is no way in hell im staying in this game.  I'd say about 80% of the time I tried leveling or farming I got ganked by a group of 10+ griefers...if fun in this game is ganking noobs, its not for me, I'm into the thrill of PvP and the chalenge, There is no chalenge and it is no fun, I definately will not play this and I am recommending nobody who is thinking about it to play it, I wouldn't mind if it was noob v noob, but its 10 fully geared-fully leveled players vs noobs, screw that.

You played it and you liked it.. but you hated the pvp part of it.  Yes ganking is sad but it is to be expected in full loot pvp.  Mostly the only reason to play Darkfall is because it is full loot pvp.   So, in essence you didn't like it or you would have stayed, perservered and overcome the gankers.  I tried it and didn't like the dismal look of it and the pirhana mentality of the gankers you mentioned, however I had no illusions about whether or not they would be there.  Before I left town I put most of my meagar valuables in the safe.  The gankers were unhappy because my full loot = no profit.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by ElderRat

You played it and you liked it.. but you hated the pvp part of it.  Yes ganking is sad but it is to be expected in full loot pvp.  Mostly the only reason to play Darkfall is because it is full loot pvp.   So, in essence you didn't like it or you would have stayed, perservered and overcome the gankers.  I tried it and didn't like the dismal look of it and the pirhana mentality of the gankers you mentioned, however I had no illusions about whether or not they would be there.  Before I left town I put most of my meagar valuables in the safe.  The gankers were unhappy because my full loot = no profit.

Not quite. DarkFall's lack activities for players to do. PvP can be hard to find at times,  and unlike most MMOs that features FFA PvP (which is what OP's issue with the game is all about, and not Full Loot), DarkFall doesn't have many incentive to stay near an NPC City, nor any incentive to create RAC and defend an area, and with the low population, it makes this even harder. In other FFA PvP MMOs, there are usually Clans that are there to protect new players from Griefers and such (happened a lot in Lineage/2, UO had it's NEW-friendly clan+allied clans, etc). Of course DarkFall has NEW, but compared to it's state in October/November 2009 when it was ruled by Furyos Mortis (LotD), the current NEW has already lost a lot of support, and that is if it's still alive as there was talk to remove NEW entirely few months back.

Nevertheless, New Players enter DarkFall with a terrible cocktail of various issues that are greatly detrimental to their overall experience. There are very few new players in NPC Cities, making grouping with players of your "level" to learn the ropes quite hard, there are very few Veterans or Clans around NPC Cities to defend against Griefers (thus letting them roam freely as they slay countless defenseless newbs), and they lack overall support. There is no balance or middle ground for new players to rely on.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

There are still newbie friendly clans, at least on EU-server, even without NEW, no one can tell you which you could prefer. Watching the clan announcements in various chat tabs can help you in decision.   

Freedom and open world entails that you in the middle of the action from day 1 it can't be avoided meeting any sort of vets or groups bigger in numbers  without sacrificing freedom. 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I haven't tried Darkfall, but from what I read here, it sounds like the way UO was when it first started. UO was not easy to start out in as you were ganked all the time. There were guards in NPC cities, but by the time they got to you, you were dead.

Ganking in UO did change your color status making you criminal with a price on your head if you killed in a city.  I wonder if something like that is in place in Darkfall?

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by drel

Ganking in UO did change your color status making you criminal with a price on your head if you killed in a city.  I wonder if something like that is in place in Darkfall?

Yes, there is something similar.

After you'll kill 1, maximum 2 "innocent" players, you become "murderer", There are towers in "protected" cities, which shoot at murderers, and usually kill them in few seconds after crossing town limits.

But in UO (or EvE) you could never leave safe zone, and still have fun. In DF it's impossible - everything interesting happens outside safe zones.

Until you'll learn how to notice danger and run away, or which parts of the huge world are constantly visited by PKs, you'll gonna die. A lot.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by drel

I haven't tried Darkfall, but from what I read here, it sounds like the way UO was when it first started. UO was not easy to start out in as you were ganked all the time. There were guards in NPC cities, but by the time they got to you, you were dead.

Darkfall has very efficient and powerfull towers within NPC cities so within NPC cities blue players are pretty safe. Outside of the racial NPC cities alignment doesn't play a big role hamlets and player cities and the wilderness  isn't under any protection or incentives exists to kill red players because the player driven politicall conflict prevails and the vast majority of player choosen that race choice doesn't has to play a role in this conflict.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

I recently rejoined DF, but I did so with 2 friends. Even with 3 of us, we can only barely be allowed to play the game for gankers. I understand that DF is a full loot ffa pvp game, however games like Eve are succesfull because it's built around this, but still have ways for individual players to play the game in relative safety.

New players are not given a real chance to join DF and how is a proper population to be sustained if new players get 1 hour of safety followed by a lifetime of ganking?

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Another with the same overall view of the game, maybe The guys at Darkfall should change something. So that the challanges are equal.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

Originally posted by Bluefix

I recently rejoined DF, but I did so with 2 friends. Even with 3 of us, we can only barely be allowed to play the game for gankers. I understand that DF is a full loot ffa pvp game, however games like Eve are succesfull because it's built around this, but still have ways for individual players to play the game in relative safety.

New players are not given a real chance to join DF and how is a proper population to be sustained if new players get 1 hour of safety followed by a lifetime of ganking?

And this my ladies and gentlemen are why DF is in a current state of trash, and the people playing it right now are mostly trolls who are not fit to be in other games.

I started playing DF back when it came out, i was apart of Oromea on one of the US servers or whereever we started out, but the game was just trash then, and its trash now, the greeks fuckedup majorly on this one.

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

No disrespect OP, but you should move on. I don't play DF anymore, but I mostly enjoyed my 14 or so months of playing. They seem to have fixed a majority of the issues that were plaguing the game. I left due to the bunnyhopping nonsense, but that had nothing to do with the gaming world or the idea behind it. I don't know if you have tried EvE, but don't let anyone fool you, hi sec isn't always safe.

I can easily kill you in hisec, wardec/stationcamp you, etc in that game. I have no idea about your game style, nor do I care. If you come to an OPEN WORLD PvP FFA game, you either join a group of players that ENFORCE their own rules or you SUBMIT to someone else's.

I think the quote goes.."It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees." You either sack up and do something about it, or you come to the forum to complain. I hope you find a game that is more suitable to your playstyle.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by kwai

And this my ladies and gentlemen are why DF is in a current state of trash, and the people playing it right now are mostly trolls who are not fit to be in other games.

I started playing DF back when it came out, i was apart of Oromea on one of the US servers or whereever we started out, but the game was just trash then, and its trash now, the greeks fuckedup majorly on this one.

Mmm generalizations are great.

This guy knows nothing. He played years ago when the game just released. Much has changed and the community is great. We frown on gankers of lowbies and if anything we do a lot to drive them off.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Originally posted by xanphia

Originally posted by kwai

Mmm generalizations are great.

This guy knows nothing. He played years ago when the game just released. Much has changed and the community is great. We frown on gankers of lowbies and if anything we do a lot to drive them off.

Alas, some players will never give a second chance to underground companies or should i say, niches.

Hey, my 1st mmorpg ever was wow. Then, i tried DF open beta and it was bad, mostly for the grind and the gap. Today, 5 months ago, i tried darkfall again and i llike it. I now payed for a 6 months. The game changed a lot. The grind dont even exist anymore if you know what to do.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

Interesting perspective for an old argument I had about that game when I played over a year ago.  My complaint was that it was a Skill based game that had no skill caps.  You max a skill and move on.  There was no reason to play other than to max out your skills.  After several months, everyone woudl have the same skills maxed out and end up fighting each other - I didn;t see how this was any different from a FPS that starts every cahracter with the same stats and skills either.

What you bring up, is the other end of this - What happens to a new player joining a game with a bunch of people already on the road to maxing out their skills?  There isn't any way to catch up.  You will be behind them for the majority of your play time and usually end up being a victim unless you have outrageous odds in your favor.

The argument that that's how a FFA, open PvP game is, is complete BS.  I've been playing MMO's before MMO's were released.  They were called MUDs.  They had open PvP, full loot and even allowed things to be destoryed in battle, not just by losing.  It was chaos, but it was controlled chaos.  There were levels, first of all.  Levels are a nice way of tidying up the player base - you can group similar players with similar players and then make rules set around that such as PvP limits (only PvP within 40% of your own level and up - no uber maxed gear players ganking noobs).  There were also NPCs and MOBs you had to interact with and/or kill.  In other words, there was always something to do, not just find somone and kill them.

Darkfall lacks both of these and look at the condition it's in.

• GadzyGadzy Member Posts: 143

I really never had issues with enemies jumping me near npc cities - at least not very strong ones.. Are you sure you aren't just making this up? ;)

Originally posted by Gadzy

I really never had issues with enemies jumping me near npc cities - at least not very strong ones.. Are you sure you aren't just making this up? ;)

It depend on which race you are. Human suffer a lot from that problem. I am a mahirim and our land is empty from any pker or even spawn stealers.

Originally posted by Lerxst

Interesting perspective for an old argument I had about that game when I played over a year ago.  My complaint was that it was a Skill based game that had no skill caps.  You max a skill and move on.  There was no reason to play other than to max out your skills.  After several months, everyone woudl have the same skills maxed out and end up fighting each other - I didn;t see how this was any different from a FPS that starts every cahracter with the same stats and skills either.

What you bring up, is the other end of this - What happens to a new player joining a game with a bunch of people already on the road to maxing out their skills?  There isn't any way to catch up.  You will be behind them for the majority of your play time and usually end up being a victim unless you have outrageous odds in your favor.

The argument that that's how a FFA, open PvP game is, is complete BS.  I've been playing MMO's before MMO's were released.  They were called MUDs.  They had open PvP, full loot and even allowed things to be destoryed in battle, not just by losing.  It was chaos, but it was controlled chaos.  There were levels, first of all.  Levels are a nice way of tidying up the player base - you can group similar players with similar players and then make rules set around that such as PvP limits (only PvP within 40% of your own level and up - no uber maxed gear players ganking noobs).  There were also NPCs and MOBs you had to interact with and/or kill.  In other words, there was always something to do, not just find somone and kill them.

Darkfall lacks both of these and look at the condition it's in.

I ant gonna lie, darkfall is still in beta. In fact, we did not get a server wipe since the open beta. Everything that you got issues on will get fixed one day.

Everyone are the same. Items classes are coming. If you dont know what it is, i dont got time to explain, but after that day, we will be different.

The grind is no more. Seriously, that was few months ago. You dont need to grind on VIT like crazy to get 350 HP which is enough to survive, support and kill. You can now keep progressing on stats while offline and other skills. This mean, macroing is not the way to go to be strong fast enough nowadays.  You can always be a destroyer if you want to compete soon, you only need to bring your fps experience.

You cannot compar 2d mmo's to any 3d mmo's, specially not an mmorpgfps. So i did not take your last paragraph seriously. For example, in any 2D mmo's, you can drop a sword on the ground. While in any 3d mmo's, you have to destroy the item, sell it or trade it. There is much more reason on why you cannot compar 2D and 3D

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Originally posted by Gadzy

It depend on which race you are. Human suffer a lot from that problem. I am a mahirim and our land is empty from any pker or even spawn stealers.

I'll have to stop down there and work some magic! Crossing the land bridge of Niff, right.............now.