Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forsaken World: Five Things Forsaken World Does Right

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

After spending some time in the open beta in Forsaken World, MMORPG.com Lead Writer Bill Murphy has come to appreciate several things about the game. In The List today, Bill points out Five Things Forsaken World Does Right. See if you agree and then weigh in with your thoughts in the comments.

I’ve come up with a list of five things that Forsaken World does right. For a translated sand-box game from the East, I wasn’t really expecting much novelty. But there are plenty of little touches in FW that make the game interesting and a decent experience for fans of the F2P cadre. If you don’t like these sorts of titles, you’d probably best steer clear. This one won’t be for you.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The List: Five Things Forsaken World Does Right.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I don't understand why you made this about Forsaken World? Is it to exclaim that Forsaken World has done something different? Every single thing you've listed has been done, and done better, by other MMOs in the past.

If it's not about Forsaken World's "uniqueness", which I hope it's not...as it isn't, then this article is rather pointless don't you think? It reads as if you're trying to exalt a new'ish' Asian Grinder MMO that no one really cares about, because the only people who actually enjoy these kinds of MASSIVE linear-quest driven grinders are Koreans or REALLY REALLY bored high/middle schoolers.

If you're going to make articles about this kind of crapshoot why aren't you making articles for every single other copy-cat clone that has come out in the past 3years? Oh wait, I forgot that adding tons of pointless micro-games that hold your attention for maybe a day make it unique & not a clone (it doesn't).

{mod edit}

-Faded

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

+10000000000000000000000000000000

its all about the cash.

FW is one of the worst games nowdays.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

In before snarky accusations! Oh wait .. in after snarky accusations. Wow ...

I like the 5 positives and 5 negatives format. And think it was pretty well written. Even though this was about the positive five, it still mentioned negative aspects related to them. Seems pretty unbiased to me, Faded.

Also who are we to judge about which games mmorpg.com writes? The top anticipated games get plenty of exposure anyway and I think it's cool to read about a game I haven't looked into at all so far. Even if it won't be a game for me.

Too bad about the item mall aspect and its big influence on pvp viability in this case, otherwise it would have been more appealing.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

Originally posted by DarkPony

In before snarky accusations! Oh wait .. in after snarky accusations. Wow ...

I like the 5 positives and 5 negatives format. And think it was pretty well written. Even though this was about the positive five, it still mentioned negative aspects related to them. Seems pretty unbiased to me, Faded.

Also who are we to judge about which games mmorpg.com writes? The top anticipated games get plenty of exposure anyway and I think it's cool to read about a game I haven't looked into at all so far. Even if it won't be a game for me.

Too bad about the item mall aspect and its big influence on pvp viability in this case, otherwise it would have been more appealing.

+1 to you good sir

I think this site, and magazines as well, would do good to cover some non-AAA titles. Any chance to increase the knowledge base beyond the simplistic "themeparks is the suk" and "CLONE!" mentalities can only be good. So what if the game doesn't offer anything new. What was the last game of any genre that did? Fallout: NV was just a rehashed FO3, but did it suffer for it? NO. What was the last fighting game to revolitionize that genre? Or FPS? There truly is nothing new under the sun.

As for the game itself, I've been thinking of giving it a try, but there are too many other things pulling at me right now to do so. I like the encyclopedia idea. Atlantica did it very well, and it seems as if WAR also has (thought I'm not far enough in to find out yet).

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I liked the article, thanks Bill!!

It seems too many people are getting caught up in the who did what first. Who cares? This article was not titled 'Five Things Forsaken World Did Differently or Better". Write your own if you want. I'm more interested in fun gameplay.

I vote to keep these types of articles going. I'd much rather read about MMO content than some obscure guild.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

well i must say something about the encyclopedia is unless you know chinese its worthless if it work, course I played this game for 1 month then I just gave up too many things to prevent you to do craft, trade

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

I kinda like the 5 positive and 5 negative style. That way you look for both the good and the bad in any game. There has to be some reason why other players are playing the game. If you like the positives enough give the game a try otherwise do not. 

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252

i must say i liked the cloth a lot, how it moved and so. Like it wasn't attached to your body ((like in most mmo's))

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

lol, maybe you should just do both (5 good, 5 bad) on the same day Bill. This format doesn't seem to be catching on like it should.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Not bad. I've played FW up to level 25(warrior). Its pretty much the typical Asian grinder, but I do like the eye candy ^^ I've not had any crashes, and I really like the auto route system.  You are right about the cash shop. I have one of the best swords available at my level, because of the leaf/gold exchange system.  I can imagine the PvP types howling like banshees about something like that.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Just tried it recently, found it pretty hard to enjoy. Another typical PWI game, with their trademarked 'if you played one, played them all' sort of feel to it (just like all of their other games, BoI is somewhat of an exception though, somewhat). Not much more worth saying than that, so I can't figure out how or why it got picked for special mention.

Not sure if the up-coming 'Five things it does wrong' will be able to even scratch the surface :P But, the comments on that one should be a good read lol ("You missed /insert 1000 examples").

• lostkosslostkoss Member Posts: 149

I like these 5 things right/wrong blogs.

It gives me a glimpse at what a newer game is about.

Keep it up!

It's a free to play game, so you can just try it yourself and it'll only cost you the patience of the dowload time.

This quick glimpse makes me curious about the "numerous systems" or " minigames" of this particular title.Some times I just want to relax and play minigames.

Not all games are "serious" and a relaxed atmosphere game can be fun too. Thats why I like City of Heroes and Star Trek Online. If you don't try to "power game" through them as fast as possible, they are enjoyable games to just play at a relaxed pace and chill.

Have a sense of humor, no need to get ALL MODDY ! :) A Simpson's quote shouldn't be worth a warning. You are lucky anyone is bothering to read this rag.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

For clarification: the game's next on the docket for review.  That's why it's getting its own Lists the next two weeks.  No worries, it wasn't the first game to taste this format and it won't be the last.

@TuX: You may be right mate.  But I think we'll stick with two separate Lists for rights and wrongs.  I suscpect less people will have an issue when it's not a F2P game.  But I could be wrong.  ;)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

I don't understand why you made this about Forsaken World? Is it to exclaim that Forsaken World has done something different? Every single thing you've listed has been done, and done better, by other MMOs in the past.

If it's not about Forsaken World's "uniqueness", which I hope it's not...as it isn't, then this article is rather pointless don't you think? It reads as if you're trying to exalt a new'ish' Asian Grinder MMO that no one really cares about, because the only people who actually enjoy these kinds of MASSIVE linear-quest driven grinders are Koreans or REALLY REALLY bored high/middle schoolers.

If you're going to make articles about this kind of crapshoot why aren't you making articles for every single other copy-cat clone that has come out in the past 3years? Oh wait, I forgot that adding tons of pointless micro-games that hold your attention for maybe a day make it unique & not a clone (it doesn't).

{mod edit}

-Faded

You are SO right! I went to youtube, looked up what was posted and was NOT impressed with this game. It is nothing more than another "clone" from the far east, that did nothing for me!  "Been there, done that" says it all!

I'm going to pass on this game!

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Why are so many people talking like this game is any good?  I tried it, it sucked.  There was NOTHING special/different/good about it in any way.  It was just more of the same PWI trash.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Jade Dynasty is the only PW mmo worth talking about. Period.

• TrixtaTrixta Member Posts: 18

Forsaken world takes everything that world of warcraft has and copys it all badly.  The graphics are bland, the world is uninteresting and the targeting system is a complete joke.  Add on top of this a cash shop and you have one awful game.

www.doom-guild.co.uk

• gundamwinggundamwing Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by Tazlor

Why are so many people talking like this game is any good?  I tried it, it sucked.  There was NOTHING special/different/good about it in any way.  It was just more of the same PWI trash.

So because you say it sucks and you did not find anything about it that you liked means  that no one else can like it and say something good about it? The way you typed your post makes it seem that what you say is fact.

And to answer your question "Why are so many people talking like this game is any good?"

People enjoy different things in games, if someone likes Forsaken World then good for them. If someone does not enjoy it then that is fine too. You may not see anything  "special/different/good" in a game, but someone else may enjoy something that you may have overlooked or it could be something that you don't like but someone else may like it. 

People have different taste in games and in other things like food, movies etc. no one is right or wrong when it comes to your own opinion about something you like or don't like.

Games playing: Lotro,Fallen Earth,Star Trek Online.
    Games playing casually: CoX,Guild Wars,FFXIV,Champions Online,DDO.
    Games Played: WoW,DR,L2,RoM,FFXI,Earthrise,EQ2,DAoC,WAR,Rift,Alganon,EVE,G&H Rome Rising.
    Waiting for: Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic.
    PC Specs: Intel i7 990x 3.5ghz, 6gb ddr3 Ram,EVGA GTX 570 SC FTW,EVGA x58 Classified 4-way SLI MB, 2TB HDD 7200rpm, 60GB Intel SSD: OS Drive, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Westinghouse 21 in. 1680x1050.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Originally posted by gundamwing

Originally posted by Tazlor

So because you say it sucks and you did not find anything about it that you liked means  that no one else can like it and say something good about it? The way you typed your post makes it seem that what you say is fact.

And to answer your question "Why are so many people talking like this game is any good?"

People enjoy different things in games, if someone likes Forsaken World then good for them. If someone does not enjoy it then that is fine too. You may not see anything  "special/different/good" in a game, but someone else may enjoy something that you may have overlooked or it could be something that you don't like but someone else may like it. 

People have different taste in games and in other things like food, movies etc. no one is right or wrong when it comes to your own opinion about something you like or don't like.

Wow, that's uh....really awesome dude.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Still toying with the idea of playing. Convince me more.

• boincmanboincman Member Posts: 99

Corsets and Booty shorts, humm ....

• lostkosslostkoss Member Posts: 149

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

{mod edit}

-Faded

While I can appreciate the sentiment here. Due to the fact that I'm not a fan of this style of game.I must at least try to point out that this is an MMORPG blog site.A site for all kinds of MMORPG games.

While it seems neither you nor I are fans of this particular game.That fact in and of itself does not preclude further discussion or review of said game.

Furthermore, this is not an advertisement, or review.This is simply a feature preview.

This particular feature preview has a primary focus on the things the author found to be a positive in the game.Even at times with a warning of a negative to come.

The author has also stated that a feature preview of things he found to be a negative will be forthcoming.

Now that you have no excuse to fully understand the format of the blog. Why all the hate?

Even bad games get reviewed.Whats wrong with providing an OPINION on whats good and bad about different games?

Like I said earlier, this isn't my style of game. I do, however, like the 5 good/bad things feature preview format.

It give me a quick look at a new title I may not have seen before.

Besides, they cant just write about one game all the time here.If you want to read about just one game, I'm sure there are plenty of fan sites devoted to whatever game it is.If not, then you can create your own fan site and write opinions, and wait while people rip them to shreds for no reason without a minute shred of common decency.

Have a sense of humor, no need to get ALL MODDY ! :) A Simpson's quote shouldn't be worth a warning. You are lucky anyone is bothering to read this rag.

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by pupurun

Jade Dynasty is the only PW mmo worth talking about. Period.

JD is still my favorite PWE game, but I am kind of digging FW too. (And I kind of thought I was the only person on this entire site with anything nice to say about JD at all. LOL!) 

FWIW, I play a lot of f2p games, so I like seeing coverage of the sort of games I play a lot of. As a non-competitive PvE player, I especially like getting some sort of overview of what sorts of things are in the cash shop for players like me.  If it turns out that it's a game where even the casual PvE player needs to buy things just to play effectively at all, that's not my style. I'll spend money on fluff and permanent bag space and mounts, but I am less keen on games where there are items that everyone expects everyone to have (like rez scrolls in one game I played) or items that are only temporary.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

How is this "The general remarks I’m seeing about FW’s cash shop is that for PvE it’s mostly just fluff and convenience items, while for PvP right now it seems you can spend a few hundred dollars to make your guy much more imposing than those who don’t.".

The mage with fortify equipment with gem slots is always better than none right? PvE or PvP regardless?

Perfect World = PW = P2W? logic, no?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

The question im my mind and , I think, in a lot of others is: Are there jiggleboobs?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.