Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no buzzz

MMOWarriorMMOWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 33

odd there is so little buzz about this game.. the PvP seems a lot like what so many scream about on every MMO forum..

looks interesting.. going to check it out..

Comments

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

I downloaded it, logged in for all of 10 minutes, and knew that it just wasn't for me.  

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

The way the game looks is a huge problem for me.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I've been playing since alpha and the game has improved amazingly since then (I'm not concerend about NDA anymore, since my alpha board  posts are freely open to anybody on the internet).  I was concerned when it went open beta, because I thought it wasn't ready yet (in that open beta nowadays tends to mean it's "done" and a prelude to an immediate launch).  Those concerns have been allayed with both dev communication and significant changes and patches on almost a weekly basis.  Don't get me wrong, the game needs work, major performance optimization, systems tweaks, etc..., but it's a lot of fun once you get out of the newbie zone, which is pretty much the only pure pve zone in the game.  Every other zone is PVP.  That being said, I think the new player experience could stand some polish still. 

I'll write a more detailed beta impressions post in the near future, but I think Faxion has the potential to be a major pvp contender while still be "fun", not work.

In the meantime, check out the following patch preview from the following official thread:

http://www.faxiononline.com/content/faxion-patch-preview-first-many

~Ripper

• inalizinaliz Member UncommonPosts: 45
    The game is just not good. Shame to see such a waste of money of advertising with no results. Most people won't get 10 minutes in before uninstalling forever. Good ideas in there somewhere but just poorly executed.

Originally posted by inaliz

The game is just not good. Shame to see such a waste of money of advertising with no results. Most people won't get 10 minutes in before uninstalling forever. Good ideas in there somewhere but just poorly executed.

Out of curiosity, what is it that makes it "not good"?  Also, keep in mind that it's still in beta nd literally changing on an almost weekly basis.

~Ripper

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

Originally posted by rhinok

Out of curiosity, what is it that makes it "not good"?  Also, keep in mind that it's still in beta nd literally changing on an almost weekly basis.

~Ripper

The game should have never been taken out of closed beta.

The game should not be advertising in it's current state.

It's advertised as a pvp game - yet the grind is terrible, it's long and it's repetitive and it's boring. The grind does not add anything to the nature of the game which is supposed to be pvp/rvr.

There is not enough incentive to own a zone - gear vendors - ok so cool - what do you do when you have all of your gear?

The mechanism to control a zone is terribly boring - stand under a lamp pole for 5 minutes? Yah, that's fun.

Too many zone points to control per zone (3) - doesn't funnel the pvp.

PVE mob AI is terrible - they stand there waiting to die - terribly boring, grindy and repetitive.

Weapon disparity in pvp has too much of an impact on pvp. The game currently has it as weapon, stats and then skill ranking - while it should be stats, skill ranking and then equipped weapon. And even then for a pvp game the weapon, skills and stats should provide minor boosts in power.

UI/Hot bar is terrible - non customizable.

Very little character customization during creation.

Opening zone is a joke. Quests are boring - with little or no imagination.

Graphics look like their from the 1990's.

The biggest complaint - no end game - no destructible assets (which players have asked for repeatedly).

There's some other issues, but I don't want to make this post longer than it already is.

So the pve is terrible, the pvp is meh, the game mechanics are poor, and the execution is terrible.

Rating: 4 out of 10.

Put the game back in closed beta and focus on making the game fun.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by zigmund

~Ripper

The game should have never been taken out of closed beta.

The game should not be advertising in it's current state.

It's advertised as a pvp game - yet the grind is terrible, it's long and it's repetitive and it's boring. The grind does not add anything to the nature of the game which is supposed to be pvp/rvr.

There is not enough incentive to own a zone - gear vendors - ok so cool - what do you do when you have all of your gear?

The mechanism to control a zone is terribly boring - stand under a lamp pole for 5 minutes? Yah, that's fun.

PVE mob AI is terrible - they stand there waiting to die - terribly boring, grindy and repetitive.

Weapon disparity in pvp has too much of an impact on pvp. The game currently has it as weapon, stats and then skill ranking - while it should be stats, skill ranking and then equipped weapon. And even then for a pvp game the weapon, skills and stats should provide minor boosts in power.

The biggest complaint - no end game - no destructible assets (which players have asked for repeatedly).

There's some other issues, but I don't want to make this post longer than it already is.

So the pve is terrible, the pvp is meh, the game mechanics are poor, and the execution is terrible.

Rating: 4 out of 10.

If they made the game fun - a lot of what I posted wouldn't matter.

I played the beta and I have to agree with this fella.  Faxion is just not a very good at this point in time and most likely never will either.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

~Ripper

The game should have never been taken out of closed beta. I, too, thought OB happened too fast, but I'm pleased at the level of work that's occuring in OB - it's unexpected. Unlike other games, it's clear that OB for Faxion doesn't mean "we're just building up hype because the game is mostly done and we're launching next week".  Since OB launched, there have been significant changes to the game and it seems like there will be many more before the game officially launches.  That's pretty impressive, IMO.

The game should not be advertising in it's current state. I agree that it's a problem .

It's advertised as a pvp game - yet the grind is terrible, it's long and it's repetitive and it's boring. The grind does not add anything to the nature of the game which is supposed to be pvp/rvr. How do you define "grind"?  I can get to level 15 in under 2 hours without leaving the city.  I'm level 40 with under 40 hours total played and over 600 hours of skill training on that single character.  Doesn't seem grindy to me at all.  In fact, it's very casual player friendly in that my characte with <40 hours played is still competive due to offline skill leveling.  I think a bigger issue is a lack of content in mid-to-high level zones, which means beta players are wandering around waiting for daily quests or looking for mobs to farm, giving a perception of "grind".

There is not enough incentive to own a zone - gear vendors - ok so cool - what do you do when you have all of your gear? As of today, I would agree with that.  That being said, there's been a lot of great discussion between the devs and the players and the devs are working on additional incentive and content.  Eventually, there will be guild assets, intra-faction conflict as well as inter-faction conflict, conquest rewards, etc..  Here's a small sample of what's being patched in this week (

http://www.faxiononline.com/content/faxion-patch-preview-advancement-through-conquests

The mechanism to control a zone is terribly boring - stand under a lamp pole for 5 minutes? Yah, that's fun. it's basically capture the flag.  Yeah, when there isn't any current player population, I can see it being boring.  With a full server and lots of in-zone conflict, it's won't exactly be "standing under a lamp pole". You're basing your impression off of a beta client with no players, not actual gameplay.

Too many zone points to control per zone (3) - doesn't funnel the pvp. There are only three control points in 2 of the 7 zones - the rest have 1.  The are also a ton of chokepoints.

PVE mob AI is terrible - they stand there waiting to die - terribly boring, grindy and repetitive.  Agree, the mob AI seems very generic, although it's more challenging now with them calling for help.  Still, it needs work, IMO.

Weapon disparity in pvp has too much of an impact on pvp. The game currently has it as weapon, stats and then skill ranking - while it should be stats, skill ranking and then equipped weapon. And even then for a pvp game the weapon, skills and stats should provide minor boosts in power. That's actually no longer the case.  Stats play a much larger role now than they did in earlier builds, per use feedback.  Stats, skill rank and weapon DPS all factor into skill effectiveness pretty equally.  It's a complex system that works well and mitigates the potential pay-to-win factor for players that pay for skill acceleration as in simply boosting a skill to rank 10 won't immediately net huge results without both weapon dps and stats as well.  Likewise, this is not a game where a new player can simply dump all points into INT and be an OMGWTF unstoppable nuker...

That's certainly not to say the system is perfect yet, it's not.  On the beta boards, we're still hashing out the differences between how much benefit warriors get from stats vs. mages, for example.  It's a work in progress, but I think the overall system is pretty sound.

UI/Hot bar is terrible - non customizable.  Terrible? Matter of opinion.  It's functional and certainly not as clunky as the UI in other games like Darkfall.  That being said, it definitely has deficits.  The chat interface needs work,   You can't change opacity/transparency, it doesn't scale, etc..  Still, it's a work in progress and changes are being made, such as the upcoming 

http://www.faxiononline.com/content/faxion-patch-preview-faxion-bar-ui

Very little character customization during creation. I, too, would like to see more options, such as the ability to select body types (as opposed to them being dictated by class selection).  That being said, it's so much better than it was when I first started playing.  While you can't choose your body type, you do get sex, a handful of faces, a variety fo hair styles, skin tones, hair color, etc..  It's certainly not the City of Heroes level of customization, but it's decent for a beta f2p game, IMO.

Opening zone is a joke. Quests are boring - with little or no imagination.  The first real zone, Purgatory City, is actually coming along quite nicely and they're continuing to make improvements to it visually as well as to texture and performance optimization, as they are for all the zones.  The city itself really serves two purposes,though: 1) newbie orientation area and 2)  central interfaction social and trading hub.  I agree regarding the newbie quests, though. I think new player experience is important and it's a misstep to advertise your game as a PVP game and allow new players to get to level 15 before they ever enter a pvp zone.  I can imagine Darkfall players logging in, getting a FedEx or Kill Ten Rats PVE quest with 1, 2, 3 button mashing, saying WTF? and leaving.  It doesn't represent what the PvP will be like at all. IMO, they absolutely MUST continue to refine the new player experience!

Graphics look like their from the 1990's. That statement alone almost renders your entire post worthless.  That's 1999...

The biggest complaint - no end game - no destructible assets (which players have asked for repeatedly). There's no end game because the game isn't finished yet.   Power gamers racing to the end in a beta game are getting bored, but the content still isn't complete for lower level zones, the game is still buggy, it needs major performance optimization, etc.. While I agree that destruble assest would be fine, they're really a phase two implementation for the devs.  They want the core game, content and play to be polished first before adding in additional features like guild-vs. guild conflict and destructible assets.

So the pve is terrible, the pvp is meh, the game mechanics are poor, and the execution is terrible.  All I can say is it's a work in progress and the devs have made great strides and seem dedicated to continuing the same.  If the game literally launched today, I would agree with you much more.  While it still carries a beta tag, they get some slack, IMO.

Rating: 4 out of 10. Hype, you mean? It's still in an active development state. As such, it's not really fair to rate it.

Replied to your specific comments above.  Obviously, everybody is entitled to their opinion and I thank you for sharing yours.  The devs value all feedback, good and bad.  While I like the game, personally, I recognize it's not ready for launch and needs a lot of work.  I think it'll get there, though.  

• TanonTanon Member UncommonPosts: 176

Repetitive and boring? Sure. It's a PvP game. Are they supposed to have put time and effort into making PvE something that you want to do?

Long? What are you comparing this to? Hitting max level in this game takes very little time.

For certain zones, you get access to circle 5 skill trainers. It's not hard to add incentives, but without a decent population, there's no point in implementing them right now.

The game is designed around having lots of players. It currently does not. Ever heard of king-of-the-hill? That's exactly what capturing zones is about. Naturally, if your playerbase is small, then KOTH will be boring.

Again, with a larger playerbase, having several control points adds depth and strategy. With just a few players per zone, it's naturally going to feel out of place.

Or, y'know, get out of the starter zone first, or try making a challenge for yourself for a change. I'll agree that PvE isn't that great, but again, if this is a PvP game, why are you making a fuss over PvE mechanics?

Okay. Explain to me why you think it should be stats->skill ranking->weapon. People who pay will reach their desired skill ranking faster than others. Stats and weapon, on the other hand, should be the same for everyone. That aside, it's a PvP game WITH LEVELS. Faxion actually does a good job with this; levels (and thusly stats, skill rank, and gear) *do* have significance, so investing time into your character is not a waste, but it also handles it in such a way that a level 60 can't just walk into a group of 30s and go AFK. If you want it purely such that your time invested does not make your alter ego stronger, go play an FPS.

I agree on this, but they could probably fix it in time if enough people complain. The devs do seem to listen to player suggestions.

It's beta. It's F2P. It's a PvP oriented game. Why do you care so much about customization?

Again with the quests-for crying out loud, it's a PvP game. How many games out there have imaginative quests? The starter zone is meant to teach you the basics of the game before throwing you into PvP zones.

Name a 90s game with graphics like these.

Absolutely. Add end-game material when there are about ten people who can access it.

Relating back to the previous point: you want them to focus on making the game (let's not forget, this is a PvP game)fun, but you want them to add end-game content along with imaginative quests, better mob AI, character customization, and you're going to criticize their mechanics which are designed for a playerbase that does not exist?

I agree with you in that the game needs improvement, but your complaints are all for the wrong reasons. The game needs advertising before the mechanics start to show. Likewise, it needs to be in an open beta or no one will be able to access the game, meaning the mechanics still aren't given a chance. The issues you brought up will likely be addressed before release as they are not particularly difficult to improve upon. Quite frankly, giving a game a rating while it's in a beta state (not one of those three year long betas) means absolutely nothing-especially without valid arguments.