Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: v1.4.2 On Its Way

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Warhammer Online developers are busy whipping the company squirrels into action to upload the v1.4.2 patch to all servers. The new patch brings scenario shake-ups, new Tier 4 power alterations and new pets into WAR. Servers are expected to be up and running again no later than 1:00 p.m. EST today.

Power Changes

The highlight of this patch is a continuing focus on the Tier 4 experience in terms of power levels and power gaps.  We took a look at the mechanics for players at all applicable Renown ranks within Tier 4 with a specific focus on the interplay between characters that are above Renown Rank 80 and those that are below.  Based on the metrics, feedback, and discussions about this, we decided to make some changes to the mechanics and items that are available within this Tier.  A number of item changes, additional items, and small tweaks were made in preparation for this in the previous patch cycle.  This patch continues that process.  For more details, see the individual sections below.

Read more on the Warhammer Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

I still don't understand why Mythic hasn't "fixed" this game.

Nothing they have done since release has made me want to resub.

How can developers be so out of touch with their "core" audience?

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Agreed.  My heart still aches whenever I see news about this game.  I was ready to drop everything for WAR at one time.  

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

This game was so promising... what went wrong exactly?

I believe it was the decision to make it WoW like rather than WAR like.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Everyone wanted it to be DAoC2...they gave us WoW2

• donaldduckdonaldduck Member UncommonPosts: 158

Originally posted by kishe

Actually if they'd given us WoW2 they'd probably have been extremely successful...

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I like this game, maybe I'm easily amused or something. /shrug

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Game is fine, most people just QQ over every tiny thing. Yeah it has had, and still continues to have some issues here and there, but most of that is usually a result of them making major changes to classes, skills, the new equipment they added, or the recent complete revamp of the RvR Campaign system. Theyve continued making improvements to the game, and also made big changes that some hate and some loved. Those things arr a matter of opinion & personal preference. (90% of comments people make about things being "broken" in WAR has absolutely nothing to do with being broken, its just not what they like so they claim it doesnt work as intended). I came back to WAR myself about 2 months ago, and im having more fun than I had in my previous attemptts to stick with the game since the day it launched.

Class balance, which used to be a very big issue, has been very much improved. The only real thing causing imbalance now is the new equipment and the advantages it gives Melee DPS & Casters vs physical ranged dps classes. But thats more a gear balance issue (maybe a tweak to a skill or 2) not so much an actual class issue. Some of this is being addressed in the 1.4.2 patch + other things they have been testing on the PTS.

• xpanderxpander Member Posts: 13

dev team is pretty much dead, not much working hands to improve the game much. most are working on SWTOR. anyway, the small changes that are coming from time to time are improving the game slowly. Its has some bugs here and there but mostly its pretty good game. they should revamp the PvE tho. i understand that RvR is the main focus, but from time to time it would be fun to do some decent PvE also. Exploring lairs and stuff is epic fun, but not rewarding currently. RvR is the best in this game. havent seen better RvR in other games. Havent played DAOC much myself so i cannot compare.

All in all even with limited resources this game still alive and kicking. Hope they can get more working hands after SWTOR is finished, so warhammer can get some bigger content updates aswell.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I don't think it was too WoWish other than the obvious graphical art.  The game appeared to be very small to me and way to linear.  The RvR was the best that I've played, but that's not saying much due to lack of quality RvR.  I just don't think it had the $ behind it to back it up to seriously compete in the MMO market.  It had potential though and I enjoyed it thoroughly for about 2 months.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

They had the money for it, they just misplaced their minds when they were developing it. They listened to the player base way too late in the game. Mythic should have known better.  You can thank what RvR you DO have now to the beta testers, There wasn't going to be any RvR until everyone in beta started screaming at them.  It was just going to be battle grounds.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by daelnor

They listened to the player base way too late in the game

This.

Anyone remember closed beta? A ton of people got kicked out of it for speaking out against it. The whole incident with TestPig. They couldn't handle him being right about pretty much damn near everything, and decided to shut him (As well as everyone else saying the same things) up. Now look. They should have listened.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Originally posted by Yamota

This game was so promising... what went wrong exactly?

I believe it was the decision to make it WoW like rather than WAR like.

I think it was the fact that Mythic was no longer its own company and had to cater to that of it's parent company.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Game is fine, most people just QQ over every tiny thing.

This

WAR had hiccups in the beginning, a rushed release... now it suffers from low populations and past players who can't get over their butt hurt.

If it would release in it's current state... or the way it played 2 years ago... it would be a massive hit.

• GrygoreGrygore Member UncommonPosts: 26

They did warn us from the beginning this wasn't going to be DAoC 2 - I have given WAR a few chances but it just can't hold my interest.

For those who DO enjoy it - have fun!! :)

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

I've noticed every post I see about this game (it seems like its every post) involves revamps and overhauls as if the team can't decide which direction to take war.

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Spiritof55

I've noticed every post I see about this game (it seems like its every post) involves revamps and overhauls as if the team can't decide which direction to take war.

It is far from an overhaul.

In this game when you reach max level... (level 40) you still gain ranks... which is purely a PvP rating that grants light stat boosts... it goes from 1 to 100 (1 o 80 previously).

Before you get to level 40, your rank cannot exceed 40... at level 40, your rank is free from the cap... this is their way of allowing progress in the end game... a slow crawl from 40 to 100 but still... progress.

Because the old cap was 80... there is lots of L40/R80s in the game... and because the cap before level 40 is rank 40... there are lots of L40/R40. Some people find the disparity in power between the 2 is too high. It's subjective.

Not true at all Romse. They removed the old RR caps, now starting from level 1 you can get RR up to 2x your XP level. SO at 20 you can have RR 40, 30 you can have RR 60, etc. They also changed the tiers, so now Tier 3 is level 26-39 and Tier 4 is level 40 only. You can get up to 39/78 while in T3 and then hit 40 and go jump right to RR 80 as soon as you get into T4. The way things are right now, basically if you hit level 40 and arent already RR 70+ you did something wrong (like power leveled on PvE and didnt PvP enough to earn RR).

They made those changes to RR caps, as well as the gear changes in 1.4.2 to help narrow the gap between newer players entering T4 and those who have been there for awhile. It would have been a complete gamekiller to have left the previous caps in and having people enter T4 at level 32 with like 40 RR vs a bunch of 40/90-100s.

People talk about how small of a dev team they have an dhow little theyre doing, but theyve actually been doing quite a good job in recent months of listening to the community about changes. The Dev Discussion forums have been active, theyve been taking polls an dlistening to feedback on things they put on the PTS, etc. Between 1.4.2 and the upcoming change sthey will be making to armor values / giving Physical RDPs some usefulness again, the game will be at a near perfect balance. Currently the inability of Physical Ranged DPS to come anywhere near the killing power of Melee DPS & casters due to even squishies having 75% mitigation and the RDPs not having the proper tools to get through the mitigation is the biggest issue. Its not much of an issue n T1-3, but in T4 ther eis a very big difference in damage output between melee DPS (with lots of armor ignores) & Casters (magic not having to go through mitigation) vs Physical RDPS (very minor armor debuffs in comparsion to the amount of armor being stacked, no 50% or complete armor ignoree like MDPS).

Edit: regaridng the tier levels. That is for joining Scenarios, T4 scenarios are ONLY level 40 players. For Open RvR you can still go to tier 4 areas and gain xp/rr/inf starting at level 32, but youll mainly just be leeching points and unable to kill anyone with high RR. Heres a breakdown of the new tier system:

Scenarios:

T1 1-15

T2 16-25

T3 26-39

T4 40

Open RVR:

T1 1-15

T2 12-25

T3 22-39

T4 32-40

Originally posted by Spiritof55

Well the staff has changed quite a bit since the game launched. They went from just doing what they feel like and not listening to a single request from the playerbase to the current staff at least willing to take feedback and make changes that are largely requested. For example, there were a LOT of complaints about the old RvR Campaign and how boring it was most of the time. They completely overhauled the way the RvR campaign works in an attempt to improve it. Some people like the change, some dont.

What they changed was basically instead of it being a game of "zerg the enemy keep as fast as you can before anyone can come defend, then go take the BOs to cap the zone", to a system in which you now need to capture and hold several (preferably all) BOs for an extended period of time while resource carriers deliver resources from each of the BOs to your WC or Keep. As resources are delivered your keep gains rank. As the keep ranks up you start getting access to siege weapons (ballistas, cannons, oil, arial bombers), and your resource carriers gain mounts and heavier armor. Once your keep reaches rank 4 you gain access to a ram. A ram is the ONLY thing that can damage a keep door, so in order to take an enemy keep you have to put in the effort of getting your keep to rank 4 first, which also gives the enemy time to react and try to counter you rather than their keep getting zerged and taken before they even realize it.

They have made siege weapons VERY useful (single target ballistas can 2 shot pretty much anything but a heavy tank). Arial bombers are great, flying from your keep to the enemy keep much faster than running and allowinmg you drop tons of firebombs (causing some pretty nice aoe dot damage) all ove rthe place as it flies around the enemy keep in circles. You can also leap from the arial bombers to get onto the enemies keep / walls without having to be a melee DPS (able to use locpick / bypass to get in).

They have also removed Keep Lords, turning RvR keep taking into a completely PvP thing, rather than PvE. If you dont come defend your keep, the enemy is going to get a free keep. Nice thing about it is, a well coordinated smaller group actually has a chance to counter a massive zerg since only 4 people can be on the ram hitting a door, and the zerg needs to spread itself out to keep all the BOs covered, allowng the smaller force tot ake on thos eindividual parties at each BO and claim the BOs for themselves. The smaller groups also have a better chance to defend so long as they learn to use siege weapons & other tactics properly. All it takes is a few people with ballistas/cannons to keep dropping the enemy ram extremely quickly, forcing them to have to keep running back for new ones and causing the keep take to be very slow, allowing you to rank your own up and counter.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by donaldduck

Actually if they'd given us WoW2 they'd probably have been extremely successful...

Touche. It was more like WoW 0.25