Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ1 vs DDO

marks4902marks4902 Member Posts: 133

Currently im in the market for a nice mmo that i can pick up and play for a little and get back to the basics... i think i finally burnt my self out on mmos like wow and rift and i was wondering if i should maybe go back to my first loves. I have always like the Dungeons and Dragons series like NWN and the customization of the classes. Also EQ was my first mmo and i heard that they have started progression server so i was feeling nostalgic and thinking i may give it another go, anyone else have any other recommendations or any further info to sway me either way. I just need to break the tedium of the RIFT/WOW/WAR type games that keep coming out and im starting to feel like going back may look better than moving foward

Comments

• sanders561sanders561 Member UncommonPosts: 8

project1999.org 

your  welcome.

Favorite Games:

Old School EQ1
    Pre TOA/NF DAOC

• marks4902marks4902 Member Posts: 133

ive looked into that a while ago it looks like too much of a headache to set up and im not that computer saavy id rather just install and play

im just wondering if theres still a decent player base in these games or will i be mostly soloing 

• CefkaCefka Member Posts: 92

Can't speak for EQ but DDO is definitly still alive and well.

Expect to have to sub if you want to group past level 6 or so though. Otherwise you won't have access to the dungeons people are running. The game is pretty unique from other MMOs as well since dungeons involve traps, puzzles, hidden objectives, monsters ambushing you and the combat feels more involving rather than just repeating the same pull/drink over and over.

• KualaBDKualaBD Member UncommonPosts: 131

Originally posted by Cefka

Can't speak for EQ but DDO is definitly still alive and well.

Expect to have to sub if you want to group past level 6 or so though. Otherwise you won't have access to the dungeons people are running. The game is pretty unique from other MMOs as well since dungeons involve traps, puzzles, hidden objectives, monsters ambushing you and the combat feels more involving rather than just repeating the same pull/drink over and over.

A sub isn't necessary to play through the popular dungeons.  Each dungeon can be unlocked permanently for a one-time fee of store points (which can also be earned in-game for free though that way is grindy).

There are also plenty of free dungeons through all the levels allowing a new free player to level to max if they want though it'll definitely be a slow march if they try to go the whole way free.  The drawback to that, though, is that the free dungeons aren't quite as popular so it can be difficult sometimes to get groups going for them.  Luckily there are solo versions of them all which can help a lot.

so what is a simple class to start out as ... also for anyone reading this on the eq side of this choice is it worth it for me to sub and try the new progression servers or is soe just beating a dead horse?

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

On the EQ side:

As far as the progression servers go, yeah, it's a lil different, but pretty much what you remember.

Non-progression servers are still alive, but it's not nearly as harsh as it used to be. Not a lot of people sit around LFG anymore with Mercenaries to hire. There are a lot more instances/missions than their used to be, and the game is a bit less grindy and more task/mission oriented, but definitely not to the extent that WoW/Rift are.

There are plenty of people playing on both types of servers.

• CefkaCefka Member Posts: 92

Anything but the arcane casters are pretty easy class to get behind. Divine casters/melees are all pretty easy.