Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Darkfall worth it?

lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

Is it worth trying? Is the population relatively high? Is PvP common? Thanks =]

Edit: I am a very hard-core gamer, i spend about 3-8 hours on the weekdays and about 6-20 hours a day on the weekends playing MMO's and FPS's, I have decided to give it a shot, it reminds of alot of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion in a way, but I think I'll enjoy it, im going to start downloading it over night (Its about 5 pm EST on the 17th right now) so any clans or higher ups willing to get a true HC gamer in your clan?

P.S. I absolutely love PvP, and Runescape was my first ever MMO, I started playing it in 2004 and it was full loot, and I loved the thrill, I just think its gonna be a little annoying leveling with open-world full loot, but hey its all a part of the experience right?

Edit2: Currently in game, and I met a guy that has helped me alot, gave me starter items, gold and helped me set up my graphics, game is looking awesome and something I could get into, gonna need to play it a bit more.

Comments

• SevensoddSevensodd Member Posts: 322

I tried it out for a week or so like a year ago.  I didn't like it much.  The only pvp I saw was getting rolled by groups of high "level" players.  The UI/graphics were horrible.  It was like playing a daggerfall mmorpg lol.  I heard it takes about a month to work on your character to become viable.  But who knows, you might like it.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

If you don't mind the full-loot thing, you could give it a try. It's not for me, but who knows, it might be for you :)

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

It's worth trying like any game on the market, provided that they have a trial (and DarkFall has one). Has far as the population goes, it's pretty small. PvP can be common if you're in a clan and depending on your location on the world map.

• RenoRoscoRenoRosco Member Posts: 2

I think it is worth a try but you have to keep in mind that the starter areas are really empty. The gameplay itself is something different from other games thats what i love at darkfall. But it takes some time (and by that i mean a lot more then in other games) to be viable in pvp. in the endgame the only thing u really do is pvp and visit other player citys and raid them. a small roam at mobspawns is also common for small groups.

But to be honest i would wait until the new expansion release (Darkfall Arena or Darkfall 2.0) that will change a lot in the game and wil also bring a lot new players in the game. so ur start wouldnt be so lonely.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

In a word, no.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I would definitely recommend you give the game a try. I haven't enjoyed an mmo this much in years. Check out the trial, you have nothing to lose.

If you do decide try Darkfall, watch these videos to help get you started on the right foot.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

I've found lots of people today. Population is always on the rise. Lots of new people always in my clan. But anyway, it's a very niche game. If you can push through the beginning, it's worth it. An experience unlike anyother. It can really get your blood and adreniline pumping.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by lennpell

Is it worth trying? Is the population relatively high? Is PvP common? Thanks =]

It has a free trial and that is always worth checking out.   I wouldn't reccommend it to a friend, but it can be an aquired taste. 

Population is low and the game will probably never grow.  The developers are slow with updates, and the updates are poorly thoughtout and do not improve player replayability.

I think PvP is common if you look for it.  I haven't played with the recent alignment change so it may be a bit less than in the past. 

• ArentasArentas Member Posts: 76

If you have a lot of free time and love PvP, yes.  Darkfall is the best PvP mmo hands down.

If your a casual gamer or if you rage everytime someone ganks you (whether its fair or not).  Then no.

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by Sevensodd

I heard it takes about a month to work on your character to become viable.

There's offline skilling like in EvE Online.

It's not exactly like EvE, and for example crafting can't be leveled that way.

Nevertheless in the first month you'll be rather learning how to play, how to make gold for meditation, and how to use new skills unlocking every day, rather than "working" to raise your skill level.

Also alignment change made starter areas rather friendly. Killing newbies does not pay off. You can go into -100 red very easy killing few newbs, and it will take 50 days and 100 000 gold to get back to positive alignment.

• ExpiryExpiry Member UncommonPosts: 76

No, its not worth it.

Mortal Online is though!

• ShealladhShealladh Member UncommonPosts: 90

Originally posted by dweetybyrd

No, its not worth it.

Mortal Online is though!

In my opinion, these two games are one and the same;

NOT worth the effort or trouble, alot needs to be done to make them playable!

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

Short answer?  No.

Long answer?  Definitely not.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

Originally posted by lennpell

Is it worth trying(Yes)? Is the population relatively high(No)? Is PvP common(Yes)? Thanks =]

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

No, its not worth it.

Mortal Online is though!

MO has more technically advanced graphics engine, strives for realism, and takes itself very seriously. But whats the point, if after few weeks you've seen and done everything that it has to offer, and most of it don't even resemble "having fun" ? PvE in MO is dreadful. PvP currently lack any real purpose.

There is simply no contest between these two games when it comes to content for solo players, groups and clans.

You need months to try everything DF has to offer in solo and group PvE. PvP in DF has purpose - for example there are two 250 vs 250 sieges going on today on EU-1 server. There is huge sea battle every 3 days. There is enough to see and experience to keep you busy for a year, and next expansion is just around the corner :)

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

In a word, Yes.

Most can't go back to other MMORPG's after having played DF more extensive, especially cause of the PvP.

- btw there is a old saying in DF, its not important if you like to play DF, Darkfall is playing YOU and then decides if you can  stay with it or have to go  ;) 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• V3rg1lV3rg1l Member Posts: 14

Darkfall online is the best mmorpg currenty in the market(dotn even mention mortal online,this game is years behind).It is a bit hard at the start because it differs from the other mmorpgs but definatly worth trying it if u havent done yet

• adoloadolo Member Posts: 66

I tried Darkfall a little over a year ago, for about 3 months. Decided to cancel my sub for several reasons. It's a true sandbox which may be good for some people and may not for others. There are no real quests to complete except for a few starter quests to get you familiar with some of the basic game mechanics, then you're on your own. Although, I heard they recently released some additional content for the starter areas and newbies, but I played a year ago so I can't comment on the new content. There is no real 'gear' or 'loot' to work towards or work with, sure there are several grades better gear than the novice gear but you can buy it or find it all in quantity as you wander aimlessly grinding, grinding, grinding your various skills on lowbie goblins or other low 'level' creatures or hacking at trees or smashing rocks for ore, or running into corners for hours or swimming aimlessly up stream against a bridge that you can't swim under... Can't tell you how many naked swimmers I'd see all the time.

Open world pvp and full loot... So you're just hanging around the starter town maybe chopping some trees, or smacking away on a lump of ore or fighting a few goblins and before you have a chance to realize what's going on 2 or more players come rolling up on mounts and with 2 or 3 smacks of a sword you are dead. You rez, run back to where you died and your corpse is empty.. or at least anything of 'value' is gone all your coin, ore, lumber, arrows, herbs, trinkets, etc, leaving you with the rusty scraps that were not worth taking to begin with. So you start again, maybe go fight some goblins for a few and in about 30 minutes you figure you should head to the bank to deposit some of your earnings... Just then the assailants are back, stride up on their mounts and kill you again... You send them a whisper to let them know that you just started and you really don't know much about the game and they tell you they are just trying to adjust their faction rating. You ask them to please leave some of the items on your corpse as you are just starting out, and they tell you to join a guild. You do this for several days some times not running into the griefing portion of the population, sometimes you just log off for the rest of the day because the aggravation isn't worth it. Maybe you get 'lucky' and one of the guilds takes you under their wing... Only to come find out that they are in a full war and you are now KoS with just about everyone surrounding their little settlement. So now instead of a few wandering jack asses you are surrounded and constantly bombarded by bands of roving murders all mounted, skilled and armed to the teeth... Oh, and all the while your various skills aren't rising because you can't get outside of your settlement now to do any decent harvesting or fighting. So glad I was 'saved' by a guild...

Don't get me wrong if you have the testicular fortitude to play Darkfall for over a year the game is probably great, you've gotten your skills to a respectable level, got into your groove and decided the things you like to do, maybe you have a favorite spot to hang out and some friends to back you up.. If I had one solid tip for the game... FFS don't go ANYWHERE solo in Darkfall, you're a sitting duck with a 'kick me' sign on your back... but really, starting out in Darkfall honestly, it sucks the royal wang... it's like being the new kid in grade school and all the bigger, older, mean kids know your every move, and they travel in packs oh, and someone has paid them to torment you and make you bleed... I liken Darkfall to Eve, plop you down in the world, give you a few minor instruction and basic tips and leave you to your own demise.. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not my cup of tea.

The Darkfall fanboi's can pick apart my every statement if they so choose, but I still stand by my experiences. And that's all this is, a description of the experience I had with DF. Hopefully yours, if you so choose to participate, will be different. 

Peace!

Jules: You know the shows on TV?
    Vincent: I don't watch TV.
    Jules: Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called television, and on this invention they show shows, right?

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by adolo

I tried Darkfall a little over a year ago, for about 3 months. Decided to cancel my sub for several reasons. It's a true sandbox which may be good for some people and may not for others. There are no real quests to complete except for a few starter quests to get you familiar with some of the basic game mechanics, then you're on your own. Although, I heard they recently released some additional content for the starter areas and newbies, but I played a year ago so I can't comment on the new content. There is no real 'gear' or 'loot' to work towards or work with, sure there are several grades better gear than the novice gear but you can buy it or find it all in quantity as you wander aimlessly grinding, grinding, grinding your various skills on lowbie goblins or other low 'level' creatures or hacking at trees or smashing rocks for ore, or running into corners for hours or swimming aimlessly up stream against a bridge that you can't swim under... Can't tell you how many naked swimmers I'd see all the time.

Open world pvp and full loot... So you're just hanging around the starter town maybe chopping some trees, or smacking away on a lump of ore or fighting a few goblins and before you have a chance to realize what's going on 2 or more players come rolling up on mounts and with 2 or 3 smacks of a sword you are dead. You rez, run back to where you died and your corpse is empty.. or at least anything of 'value' is gone all your coin, ore, lumber, arrows, herbs, trinkets, etc, leaving you with the rusty scraps that were not worth taking to begin with. So you start again, maybe go fight some goblins for a few and in about 30 minutes you figure you should head to the bank to deposit some of your earnings... Just then the assailants are back, stride up on their mounts and kill you again... You send them a whisper to let them know that you just started and you really don't know much about the game and they tell you they are just trying to adjust their faction rating. You ask them to please leave some of the items on your corpse as you are just starting out, and they tell you to join a guild. You do this for several days some times not running into the griefing portion of the population, sometimes you just log off for the rest of the day because the aggravation isn't worth it. Maybe you get 'lucky' and one of the guilds takes you under their wing... Only to come find out that they are in a full war and you are now KoS with just about everyone surrounding their little settlement. So now instead of a few wandering jack asses you are surrounded and constantly bombarded by bands of roving murders all mounted, skilled and armed to the teeth... Oh, and all the while your various skills aren't rising because you can't get outside of your settlement now to do any decent harvesting or fighting. So glad I was 'saved' by a guild...

Don't get me wrong if you have the testicular fortitude to play Darkfall for over a year the game is probably great, you've gotten your skills to a respectable level, got into your groove and decided the things you like to do, maybe you have a favorite spot to hang out and some friends to back you up.. If I had one solid tip for the game... FFS don't go ANYWHERE solo in Darkfall, you're a sitting duck with a 'kick me' sign on your back... but really, starting out in Darkfall honestly, it sucks the royal wang... it's like being the new kid in grade school and all the bigger, older, mean kids know your every move, and they travel in packs oh, and someone has paid them to torment you and make you bleed... I liken Darkfall to Eve, plop you down in the world, give you a few minor instruction and basic tips and leave you to your own demise.. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not my cup of tea.

The Darkfall fanboi's can pick apart my every statement if they so choose, but I still stand by my experiences. And that's all this is, a description of the experience I had with DF. Hopefully yours, if you so choose to participate, will be different. 

Peace!

A lot of the stuff you spoke about is rather out-dated. A lot has been updated. Let me address:

1. You said yourself you're a newbie. There's lots of gear you probably never touched or even got close to using. We're talking enchants, weapons, armors, mounts. A lot isn't as surplus as you think.

2. They fixed war decs so it costs money everyday to be war dec'd with someone. You can only war dec a certain number as well. So you can't be war dec'd with everyone. The new alignment system also puts a heavy fine on those that kill blues. It takes approximately 100k to go blue if you're full red.

3. No more afk swimming or lots of macroing now that there's meditation.

P.S. maybe you should try again. Game's much different than it was this time last year. I would know, I was playing then. I'm one of those guys you speak of with 'testicular fortitude' and I'm not enjoying the fruits.

• xantrisxantris Member Posts: 38

No, its not worth it.

Mortal Online is though!

MO is terrible

• oscarkool2oscarkool2 Member Posts: 127

If you're looking for a new gaming experience, then yes.  If you're into wow, like most people here, then no.  Darkfall will make you cry because of the full loot.

I've found that the only people that don't like darkfall are people that don't like dying and losing stuff.  You have to approach the game with a different mindset than other games, which most people never do.  They come from wow and they get ganked and they lose all their stuff and they cry and quit.

Just remember that when people tell you that darkfall sucks.  It really doesn't.  It's the best pvp of any mmorpg and that is a fact that cannot be argued with.  No other mmorpg comes close to it.

The graphics aren't great, it does take some time to get a decent character (though not much anymore with offline skilling), there are trolls and jerks like in any other game, there's no hand holding.  But what you get is a game that puts all others to shame.  You literally can't go back to tab targeting after playing darkfall for awhile.  I played wow for about 3 hours and stopped because it was just too damn boring and I have 2 level 80's.

Ignore the wow lovers in this thread.  Try the game yourself.

And watch these videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDgGgunLhmA

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Arcken

In a word, no.

I hereby swear a ... VENDETTA!

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by oscarkool2

If you're looking for a new gaming experience, then yes.  If you're into wow, like most people here, then no.  Darkfall will make you cry because of the full loot.

I've found that the only people that don't like darkfall are people that don't like dying and losing stuff.  You have to approach the game with a different mindset than other games, which most people never do.  They come from wow and they get ganked and they lose all their stuff and they cry and quit.

Just remember that when people tell you that darkfall sucks.  It really doesn't.  It's the best pvp of any mmorpg and that is a fact that cannot be argued with.  No other mmorpg comes close to it.

The graphics aren't great, it does take some time to get a decent character (though not much anymore with offline skilling), there are trolls and jerks like in any other game, there's no hand holding.  But what you get is a game that puts all others to shame.  You literally can't go back to tab targeting after playing darkfall for awhile.  I played wow for about 3 hours and stopped because it was just too damn boring and I have 2 level 80's.

Ignore the wow lovers in this thread.  Try the game yourself.

And watch these videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDgGgunLhmA

I've tried the game myself, and there were a few reasons that I did not continue.  Some of which are out-dated and I'm glad that the newbie killing and AFK skilling has been addressed.  I am a sandboxer at heart, as my first MMO was Ultima Online. 

One of the major reasons that still exists is the unfinished/ugly UI.  It looks like a bunch of amatuers built it and some of it is actually an in-game web browser.  It's patheric. 

Here's the issue I take with your comments.  You claim it to have the best PvP with zero reason as to why.  You claim it as fact, with no evidence to support it.  Do you believe it's just because it's full loot and FFA PvP?  If so, that has nothing to do with whether or not it is the 'best' PvP game.  Do you think it's because it is NOT a tab-targetting system?  If so, I disagree with you.  FPS in MMO's simply does not work well.  Lag,latency and networking issues all make your life miserable.  Not as much in a tab-targetting system.  I also didn't like the constant back and forth between 1st and 3rd person if you switch between melee and ranged weapons.  It breaks PvP immersion for me.  I also didn't like pre-loading spells and THEN casting them, as opposted to the hotbar/hotkey system and fires off abilities when you press the associated hotkey.  Due to the FPS style combat, the combat system is simply less efficient as a 3rd person/tab-targetting system.  So basically, on all fronts the combat system isn't as good.  Now that's actually factual evidence.  I've given a rhyme and reason to my comments, and you didn't.  I love some of the things that Mortal Online and Darkfall has done, as my favorite MMO was Ultima Online.  However, I believe the execution is lacking in both.  I feel that if Darkfall had a fully functional and attractive UI, as well as an efficient and fluid tab-targetting/3rd person exclusive perspective... this game would have several more servers, thousands more people, and it wouldn't have the bad rap that it does now.  

Archage will probably be better than the two, unfortunately for them, it's an asian game.  So it will never get anywhere in the western market.  There still isn't a solid sandbox MMO to play yet.  It's really a shame in my opinion.

Is Darkfall worth it?  I don't know.  All I can say is to give it a go and see for yourself. 

• NoobgrenNoobgren Member Posts: 102

I played the DF trial last year, enjoyed it, and now I just recently bought it, mostly out of pure boredom with everyting else on the market. I used to play MO extensively (one of the reasons I didn't buy DF when I tried it), but that game is still very unpolished and buggy, and not really coming along the way I had hoped. I've gotten used to full loot, ffa PvP and aim-based combat though, and so I'm having fun in DF even though I'm just starting out. For me, coming from MO, the initial hardships are not really that hard at all. DF is a lot more polished and smoot-running than MO which provides a much better newbie experience. For example, people complaining about DF's UI have obviously never played MO.

My opinion on DF is that once you've gotten used to the concept, you can probably have a lot of fun. Yes you will die and lose stuff. Yes, you will need to grind - like most mmo's, DF forces you to repeatedly do the same things over and over to improve your character . However, most things are easily replaceable (newbie level things, anyway), and the grind actually isn't that bad anymore, at least not if you don't feel the need to powerlevel and rush to "endgame" asap. The PvE in DF is fun and varied, and I'm having fun just killing mobs - which is very unsual in most mmos' I've played. The AI is good, mobs are varied, there are many places to go and stuff to explore. The combat system is great, it takes some getting used to but it really gets you playing, rather than just punching some buttons in a given sequence. Also, the world is huge and there's a certain atmospehere to the game that is quite sinister and immersive.

Some design desicions are very questionable however - mainly the fact that there is no skillcap which turns everyone into hybrids and promotes char skill rather than player skill, and a heavy focus on magic. This will probably change in the future though. Other things I dislike are the chat system (just horrible), some models and animations, the excessive bunnyhopping (ridiculous, but some players actually talk about bunnyhopping as one of DF's strong points), and a slightly arcady feeling to the PvP overall. 

Personally I will probably not resub though, but this is purely due to technical reasons (the EU server seems to dislike my ISP which gives me and everyone else using the same ISP horrible ping spikes during prime time). Once they are fixed, I'll gladly play DF for a while, at least until ArcheAge comes around or MO starts moving in a better direction.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by DAS1337

Here's the issue I take with your comments.  You claim it to have the best PvP with zero reason as to why.  You claim it as fact, with no evidence to support it.  Do you believe it's just because it's full loot and FFA PvP?  If so, that has nothing to do with whether or not it is the 'best' PvP game.  Do you think it's because it is NOT a tab-targetting system?  If so, I disagree with you.  FPS in MMO's simply does not work well.  Lag,latency and networking issues all make your life miserable.  Not as much in a tab-targetting system.  I also didn't like the constant back and forth between 1st and 3rd person if you switch between melee and ranged weapons.  It breaks PvP immersion for me.  I also didn't like pre-loading spells and THEN casting them, as opposted to the hotbar/hotkey system and fires off abilities when you press the associated hotkey.  Due to the FPS style combat, the combat system is simply less efficient as a 3rd person/tab-targetting system.  So basically, on all fronts the combat system isn't as good.  Now that's actually factual evidence.  I've given a rhyme and reason to my comments, and you didn't.  I love some of the things that Mortal Online and Darkfall has done, as my favorite MMO was Ultima Online.  However, I believe the execution is lacking in both.  I feel that if Darkfall had a fully functional and attractive UI, as well as an efficient and fluid tab-targetting/3rd person exclusive perspective... this game would have several more servers, thousands more people, and it wouldn't have the bad rap that it does now.  

We have often given reason's as to why Darkfall's combat is the best in a MMORPG today.

FPS is just one part of it helping with

a)having to aim in FPS and therefore avoiding artificial dice rolls and hit calculation, you aim well results in you hit, you don't aim well result in you miss not so in subpar tab targeting 3rd person combat. 

b) Limiting your few and your LOS also adds another level to combat, you aren't an all - seeing  eye somewhere over the action and can see behind you and who is closing behind the tree. You are IN the combat and need to take environment into consideration. 

but FPS isn't the only feature makes DF the best combat. (whats known in the FPS world has been succesfully merged in the traditionall MMORPG -just limited by the known MMORPG limitations- and it was needed)

There is friendly fire, not only you have to aim but also to watch who you hit, mindlessly  mashing buttons won't get you far.

Then the full loot incentive, which puts your combat actions in a risk if you miscalculated them and you have for example too much valuables on you but you wasn't prepraed for to defending them.

Soon then the environmental aspect of Darkfall combat will receive a boost introducing forced lighting and shadows amd also sounds which will more then now including and bind  more of your audio - visual abilities to Darkfalls combat. Keeping an eye on the shadows listening to suspicious noises - was it footsteps  ? - opens potential for true sneaking not a artificial "become invisible  spell".

We don't just say "it is the best combat". We know and experience everyday why.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)