Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlestar Galactica Online: A Million Registered Players

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Battlestar Galactica Online team has announced that over a million players have registered to play the browser-based title in just over six weeks. The number of registered players places BGO firmly in Big Point's most successful launch bracket.

“There is always a risk when you translate a well-known IP into another medium,” said Heiko Hubertz, CEO and founder, Bigpoint. “We built what we believed was a recipe for success; a fantastic gaming experience inspired by an iconic show, with the added benefit of being a free-to-play title. We are grateful to the fans for their support and interest in this game, and pledge to continue to improve and optimize the game.”

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

The "Battlestar Galactica Online" link goes to: http://www.mmorpg.com/LINK

so...

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Originally posted by apocalance

The "Battlestar Galactica Online" link goes to: http://www.mmorpg.com/LINK

It's been fixed.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Going to say the same here that I said when Free Realms made this same statement.  I've registered for the game because I was interested and I haven't logged in since that first day/month because the game wasn't what I wanted.  This is just publicity/marketing at work here.  Heck, I could make a free game and claim a million registered players too but it doesn't mean squat.

There was a forum post the other day about when this "counting subscribers/players" fad came about, and I at the time was looking heavily at Blizzard.  Now that I think about it some more, and seeing this "news" article I have come to realize it's the Marketing/Publicity coordinators/advertisers who are to truly blame.  I hope they don't intrude into our Hobby anymore than they have, just look at how they ruin TV, movies and music. 

Greed, of late, seems to choke creativity and "subcreation" artists(which is what true MMORPG designers are) the way a Python chokes it's victim.  Slowly and inexoribly with no escape in sight.

• chiksochikso Member Posts: 150

Originally posted by elocke

Going to say the same here that I said when Free Realms made this same statement.  I've registered for the game because I was interested and I haven't logged in since that first day/month because the game wasn't what I wanted.  This is just publicity/marketing at work here.  Heck, I could make a free game and claim a million registered players too but it doesn't mean squat.

There was a forum post the other day about when this "counting subscribers/players" fad came about, and I at the time was looking heavily at Blizzard.  Now that I think about it some more, and seeing this "news" article I have come to realize it's the Marketing/Publicity coordinators/advertisers who are to truly blame.  I hope they don't intrude into our Hobby anymore than they have, just look at how they ruin TV, movies and music. 

Greed, of late, seems to choke creativity and "subcreation" artists(which is what true MMORPG designers are) the way a Python chokes it's victim.  Slowly and inexoribly with no escape in sight.

This article is made only to mention that at least one million players have tried the game. You twist things where there is no need to.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by chikso

This article is made only to mention that at least one million players have tried the game. You twist things where there is no need to.

So why not mention how great their game is or its features?  No they play the "numbers" card because there are many out there who are duped by such claims and think the game is great due to such numbers.  If you think I'm "twisting" words, explain to me how it is any different from Free Realms and the same statements they made. 

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I agree. 

++++++++++

Why does MMORPG.COM continue to support this unethical behavior with their continued coverage of the "Numbers Game"?  

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

the game is kinda fun to be honest funner than black prophecy at least and i like the combat better