Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First MMO you played?

Comments

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

First was Everquest, with Asheron's Call about a year after.  Both had their qualities, both were great fun that lasted me many many years.  Funny thing is I've gone a full circle, now back to playing Everquest 1 again heh.  image

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

UO.

Had a max  STR/DEX GM fencer with deadly poison kriss and a GM Mage/ Tamer with a Nightmare and a White Wyrm.

• stump1973stump1973 Member Posts: 6

my first was WOW, and then i moved on to SWG then LOTRO.  I still play LOTRO and awaiting SWTOR!

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Ragnarok Online.

I loved the ridiculous customizability and over-the-top skills. Also, like many older MMOs, it was hard to classify as a sandbox or theme park.

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59

Well, if I can count diablo 2 as an mmo, then that's it.

But after that I believe it was either SWG or  EQ2, lol I can't remember.

Everquest 2 I played for like 3 days, so I think the title goes to SWG, because I played that right up until the NGE (damn sony!).

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by JSchindler

Ultima Online. Great game.

Enough said, but I'll add EPIC!!

Asbo

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Year was 2000 and i saw this big game box on the shelf of the store , yeah game boxed were pretty big in the days and it said Everquest and it wrote online game .

I was hooked for 5 years maybe more .

• mayh3mmayh3m Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Everquest. Still remember the first time I made it to the bazaar. Mindboggling! It was 2001 I was young, full of energy, and in love with the idea of mmo's. I need a new hobby already.

Current: BDO
    Looking forward to: Crowfall & Chronicles of Elyria

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

Ultima was my first. But to be honest for 5-10 hours total.

Then it was EQ

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215

EQ was my first and I haven't really been satisfied with anything else since. 

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Dark Ages by Nexon

It was the best game I have ever played. :)

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

The Realm         Was a free trial in the box of a sierra DOS game in bought,cant remember now what game it was.

• TrixxellTrixxell Member UncommonPosts: 17

Sept. 1997 - Ultima Online for (4 years) Lake Superior

Oct. 2001 - DAoC for (2 years) Merlin

And then way way to many to list.....

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Wow, I love these posts!! (and no, WOW was not my first!)

These posts bring back such fond memories.  Like some have said before, the first game I played floored my more because of the technology than anything else.  Going from games like Masters of Orion and Might & Magic (turn based games, precursor to RTS) to an MMO was jaw dropping!

So, that emotional sensation you get from your first MMO can be compared to your first girl friend (or whatever you like).  It is also why people are always in search of that same feeling or sensation from a new game.

Anyway, my first game was EQ back in 2001 and it knocked my socks off!  I eventually became dissillusioned after having to sit LFG for hour after hour day after day.....I wasn't in a raiding guild so the end game kinda ruined the game for me.  I then ran to SWG and got a very similar feeling!  I was also floored a game could be as good as SWG...until they ruined it.

Since then, no game has really stolen my heart.  I was excited about EQ2 but it wasn't the same as EQ....although i do have fond memories of the starting areas.  WOW was the game  i played most over the years but also the game that frustrated me the most as well due to class imbalances in PvP (enhancement shaman).  I only started WOW because SOE couldn't keep the EQ2 servers up on launch....I didn't want to sit for 2 days waiting (think it was 1 day)....so I bought WOW and it was somewhat to my tastes.  I started a NE hunter but eventually became a full time horde (orc) due to the attitude of some alliance players.

Now, i wait for GW2, SW:TOR and 40K Online as well as Archeage and EQNext.  I can't play anything now but if I could it would be Champions Online, EQ2, AOC, LotRO and WAR.  I know that is a lot of games but I tend to get bored, cancel and resub to another title.  Those would be the games i would be circulating amongst.....might add City of Heroes/Villians too.  (I thought superhero games would be stupid but they are reall good!  You can make whatever you want so my CO toon is a Beastial Demonic brute....only game i have ever played where I could pick all the cool powers I wanted.  Throwing fire, using massive melee attacks that knock ppl back....it is awesome!)

My wife's first game was WOW....so she says it is her favorite.  She loved her Hunter the most and her Blood Elf characters cause the were pretty!  I am already trying to pimp the female Norn ranger to her from GW2, lol. 

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218

A mud called Elephant back in 95, that was when I got into online gaming. Ah the joy of endless hours of grinding xp when I should have been studying for my degree. Almost failed the first year because of that game. Still, good memories :)

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

mu online.

wasted so much time on that horrible game.

• [RedDragon][RedDragon] Member UncommonPosts: 46

The Realm (Sierra on-line).

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166

Originally posted by GamerAeon

World of Warcraft but it took me a couple years to figure out that it was a pile of crap lol

I only loved it because it was like Playing WC3x in MMO Mode

I was like oooo it's Kalimdor Wow look a Goblin Airship! wheee

But after BC It was more like This is Outland?? this sucks. Hey Wait this isn't the same story! this sucks. Alliance gets Draenai??? wth? Oh I see change the story around...Yeah this is what you get for getting rid of your main story guys.

After that I promptly left WoW and all it's stupidity and from what I understand it's only gotten worse and going to get twice as bad when Cataclysm hitsimage

I like this loool so try...btw my first mmo Wow vanila

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Sadly WoW. But it was a blast first years

• AzusaNakanoAzusaNakano Member Posts: 19

Flyff and eve online.... :D

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Ultima Online on 56k dialup :)

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Showing my age now but my first inter net foray  began with The Realm Online,when Codemasters had the game and i was hurtling along at a Sonic Boom inducing 56k baud rate,or about 15-20 kbp's to be precise.image

p>
  • vktra79vktra79 Member Posts: 34

Ultima Online. It is a legend and there is no other game that gave so much fun and thrill after that. I can't wait for its sequel.

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Depends on your definition of MMO -

I suppose once could say Warcraft 2 -- as it was a MMORTS (1997)

There was also Dungeon Sige 1 - MMOARPG (1997)

But in my opinion the first true MMO woulda been either Everquest (1999) or perhaps BF1942 MMOFPS (1998ish).

Overall my first REAL experience of an online gaming beyond (ANTS! on the old MSN Gaming Zone) woulda been Warcraft 2 B.net edition, and everquest.

EDIT : Yes i did play WoW when it first launched, the notion of playing in a RPG where i had spent countless hours playing in a RTS was an awesome idea, i mean, i loved WC2/3 the idea of being a footman running around scream "FOR LORDERON" was awesome.. til the expanions.. and the lore being shat on... then it was no longer the Warcraft i grew up loving, and became World of Casualcraft, something i didn't reconize or like.

Since then i have tried atleast EVERY major, minor, underground, and/or mainstream MMO

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Everquest, because it was like PnP dungeons and dragons over the internet.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.