Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Star Trek Infinite Space Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Star Trek Infinite Space is the browser based title based on the Deep Space Nine IP. Recently, MMORPG.com's Richard Cox had the opportunity to chat with Gameforge Executive Producer Ralf Adam. They covered a wide variety of topics including the Dominion War, how the game is attracting browser-game-phobics, PvP and finding its own audience in the MMO world. We've also got several never before seen screens too so check it out!

I know you're currently accepting applications, but is there any word on when we can expect a full, closed beta for the game?

Right now we’re looking for a release window in summer 2011 and will announce game updates, closed beta, etc. on our website here: http://startrek-is.com/. I would encourage any fans out there excited about the game to sign up for our newsletter as we have plans to start running fun promotions for subscribers and Star Trek fans very soon.

Read more of Drew Wood's Star Trek Infinite Space Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Ravens0ulRavens0ul Member UncommonPosts: 51

And it will most probably be better than the bilge that is Star Trek Online.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

To bad their website is down.  However they are using the unity plug iin and well I tried that joke of a game called bsg that uses the unity engine.  So I have some concerns.

Addendum took 5 minutes to load their website i guess they got swamped.  The trailer looked great to bad theres not enough info on it yet.

And yes it looks like it might blow sto out of the water but that does not say much.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

After being so disappointed with STO, I can't even begin to see how this game would attract me.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

So was bsg bad because of the engine? If yes, I understand your concern, if no... wtf is using the same engine have to make it a bad game as well?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Originally posted by kakasaki

So was bsg bad because of the engine? If yes, I understand your concern, if no... wtf is using the same engine have to make it a bad game as well?

Well there is only one way to know if its the enginer or just poor design and that is to play it.  BSG had terible graphics, and a ui that was just bad.

I hope that the Star Trek Infinite space will be better that bsg,  being better than sto is a given.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Graphics and UI do not = engine.  Graphics = renderer UI is down to the designers, the engine is what resolves the Physics the combat and the behind the scenes stuff.

Atleast in terms of what made BSG online middle of the road.  But this is the infancy of decent browser based MMOS I expect within the next 3 years we will have browser based mmos that rival todays client based ones.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Saw the game play video , color me un-impressed. It's too bad they keep sticking the Star Trek IP on crap. Legacy , STO , now this . There was plenty of crap before Legacy , but they're on a losing streak now , imo.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

I don't know about that.  They've picked an IP with a large fan following, probably 2nd to Star Wars and in terms of a ST period for PVP and ship choices one of the better periods.  Although I'm a Classic, for these 2 reasons DS9 and the War should be a better choice.

My only complaint would be the top down view vice an over the shoulder, 3rd person view. 

I'm looking forward to it and hope the spec's are such that it's playable by a large selection of people.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Looks interesting enough. I'm not going to get super hyped and excited over a browser based game just yet, but it's got my attention.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Well the nice thing about free games is anyone can go ahead and try it, see if it's any good. I wasn't at all impressed by STO, maybe in time it'll grow into something decent, but it currently leaves me deeply un-immpressed.

Well I have to say i spent about an hour wandering around their website.  I have to say they have the slowest website in history, followed only by the new design website that lotro has. I am not a fan of how they are running their website.   I also had trouble getting the unity player that I have installed working with some of the frame footage they did have, it just hung.

I tried finding game play video but all I found was in game screen shots.

Testing according to their forums is being done in Germany, close to where they are located at only.

so Since it is browser based I would guess there's going to be a large mix of nationalities milling around,  and I wonder what they are going to do about having a ton of folks running around who dont speak the same language.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I'm looking forward to giving this game a shot.  It's free to play, so what's to lose?

I already enjoy STO, but another ST game as an option is always welcome.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted

Star Trek Infinite Space Interview

There's infinite space because no one plays this game; Im assuming that's what they mean.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Originally posted

Star Trek Infinite Space Interview

There's infinite space because no one plays this game; Im assuming that's what they mean.

You do know it's not released yet right? 

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

It seems like another Star Trek non-star trek game. Star Trek universe is freakishly complex, huge and full of posibilities. All those games are simple, true Star Trek MMO would be something like EvE together with UO + something more. So it will probably never happened. :(

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

The thing that got me was when the developer stated they were targeting the "casual browser" customer.

STO was about as casual an "MMO" (and i use the term very loosely) as you can get, and these guys think that is too "hardcore" and are going to make something dumbed even further down?

Yeah, just what the ST IP needs: more crap.

Pass.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Another pew pew, Star Trek game seriously people if you want a serious ST game on the horizon check out this http://stexcalibur.com/

Excalibur breaks the mold of traditional space simulation games by putting the player firmly in the boots of an experienced Starfleet captain. From the outset you will be able to control your character and command your ship as if you were standing on the bridge yourself.

From taking direct control of the helm, to transferring command of any ship in your task force, or even calling your senior staff to the briefing room to discuss mission tactics; Excalibur is the most immersive Star Trek experience ever.

• Immense open universe to navigate and explore

• Hundreds of ship interiors and environments

• Command and micro-manage your task force as you see fit

• A totally new story which reacts to your decisions

• Fully functional environments        

Excalibur has been developed along side a brand new engine called "Evolved" which brings unprecedented power and flexibility to develop the features that Star Trek fans have longed to see in game.

Explore a completely open Star Trek universe with no boundaries or loading times, separate your saucer section to double your chances, or divert power from life support to get that all important last phaser blast. Its all possible with the power of Evolved.

• Newtonian physics take realism to the next level

• Full ship animations and separations

• Detailed hardpoint system

• Procedurally generated universe

• Flexible mission system - make your own decisions

Excalibur not only brings the franchise up to date with the latest visual effects from the NanoFX renderer, it also delivers an unprecedented level of detail to create the most authentic Star Trek experience. From characters, to ships, to planets and solar systems right through to the single player campaign, every element of Excalibur has been researched and referenced exhaustively to ensure it stays true to the shows.

Set six months after the events in Star Trek: Nemesis, Excalibur's story mode deals with the turbulent political scene caused by a decade of war and turmoil. From the second Borg incursion in First Contact, to the fall of the Dominion and the collapse of the Romulan political system; these events resulted in huge loss of life and changed the Alpha Quadrant forever.

• A new Trek story exploring the impact of well-known events

• Faithful reproduction of hundreds of ships

• Explore a canon Star Trek universe

• Deferred lighting brings space to life like never before

• VFX designed to match the show as closely as possible

All good starfleet engineers know the importance of flexibility in a tool. Our mission is to help the Star Trek community create the game that they want to play by building the most flexible and intuitive tools right into Excalibur.

With hundreds of features specifically designed to help third parties make and modify content for the game, Excalibur will be the perfect platform for ongoing development by the community for years after its release.

• HTML User Interfaces - easily edited with widely known skills

• Many standards supported, giving artists more choice

• Editable Python scripts give more power to scripters

• Integrated development tools make testing easy

• Install new mods without the hassle

• KingPhazonKingPhazon Member Posts: 9

Agreed!

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by firefly2003

Another pew pew, Star Trek game seriously people if you want a serious ST game on the horizon check out this http://stexcalibur.com/

Excalibur breaks the mold of traditional space simulation games by putting the player firmly in the boots of an experienced Starfleet captain. From the outset you will be able to control your character and command your ship as if you were standing on the bridge yourself.

From taking direct control of the helm, to transferring command of any ship in your task force, or even calling your senior staff to the briefing room to discuss mission tactics; Excalibur is the most immersive Star Trek experience ever.

Excalibur has been developed along side a brand new engine called "Evolved" which brings unprecedented power and flexibility to develop the features that Star Trek fans have longed to see in game.

Explore a completely open Star Trek universe with no boundaries or loading times, separate your saucer section to double your chances, or divert power from life support to get that all important last phaser blast. Its all possible with the power of Evolved.

Excalibur not only brings the franchise up to date with the latest visual effects from the NanoFX renderer, it also delivers an unprecedented level of detail to create the most authentic Star Trek experience. From characters, to ships, to planets and solar systems right through to the single player campaign, every element of Excalibur has been researched and referenced exhaustively to ensure it stays true to the shows.

Set six months after the events in Star Trek: Nemesis, Excalibur's story mode deals with the turbulent political scene caused by a decade of war and turmoil. From the second Borg incursion in First Contact, to the fall of the Dominion and the collapse of the Romulan political system; these events resulted in huge loss of life and changed the Alpha Quadrant forever.

All good starfleet engineers know the importance of flexibility in a tool. Our mission is to help the Star Trek community create the game that they want to play by building the most flexible and intuitive tools right into Excalibur.

With hundreds of features specifically designed to help third parties make and modify content for the game, Excalibur will be the perfect platform for ongoing development by the community for years after its release.

But no online game play so this is just a single player game which is a shame.

If they do decide to go multiplayer then yes i will add this game to my to-do list.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by sibs4455

Originally posted by firefly2003

But no online game play so this is just a single player game which is a shame.

If they do decide to go multiplayer then yes i will add this game to my to-do list.

With a project of this scope you can bet there will be some type of multiplayer eventually just remember its a indie development team this stuff takes time. This may not be a MMO but this is the closest thing we will ever get to a real Star Trek simulator EVER.

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

First I've heard of this game, but it sounds interesting for sure!

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• CopenhagenCopenhagen Member UncommonPosts: 57

First off, in the line of Browser Games...BSGO is not that bad.  No, it's not a Tripple A MMO by any means.  ( I guess most people expect free to play games to be every bit as good as Subscription games).

In my opinion BSG looks way better than the few screen shots I'm looking at for this game.

Second, there just is not enough Space games out there period.  There is a million "Lighting Bolt" games.   But hardly any Space game.   I welcome any game that is trying to put some more space out there.

The day they make an MMO Space game where I can Pilot Different ships, go seek out new worlds, and get out and walk around a game world, both, i'll be impressed.

I'm not real sure what excatly all I'm looking for in a space game, I know I'm expecting way more than any game has ever offered though.

And, I'm pretty sure I won't care much for this one either.

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

Originally posted by Copenhagen

The day they make an MMO Space game where I can Pilot Different ships, go seek out new worlds, and get out and walk around a game world, both, i'll be impressed.

Starwars Galaxies?

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Watching this FTP murder STO will be funny.

• KingPhazonKingPhazon Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Faelsun

Watching this FTP murder STO will be funny.

lol!