Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Report and restart: Is this new to MMO's?

RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I was trying the Rift free weekend, and I had a CTD right in the middle of mob territory.  On my desktop, I had a crash report window, with an option to "report and restart".  I hit the button, and within about 20 seconds I was loaded back into the game; NO LOGIN... just loaded right back up, character still in one piece.

Obviously, the BETTER thing would be for it to not crash at all, but I thought that was pretty slick.  Hopefully after enough reports, the game will be solid enough to where few know the feature even exists.

Just wondering if that's something new to the genre?  I haven't had a CTD in an MMO in a long while.

Comments

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

From my experience thats 'new' - Rift is one of the quickest restarts to exact point from CTD I've seen in ANY game not just MMOs.

Much like the coin lock system, it's those little things in the client that really make me think Trion are actally trying to give us a quatily product and not just go in for the 'lets ride the MMO cashcow' punt

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

If I recall correctly, it's because of the way that players exist on Rift's servers that allows them some of this functionality.  Something about the character server existing separately from the server with a zone on it.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

From a coder standpoint, this sounds like a horribly thoughtless implementation of something that sounds good on paper. However, in practice it's unsafe & security take a big hit. Several MMOs in the past tried this feature in alpha, and some did it in early beta, but they found that your account's information was compromised due to the process.

Think about it, if the report & restart "process" can circumvent the login process & take you directly back into the game where you left off....where is that information being stored? One answer: In memory, and it doesn't matter how much encryption you've got (unless you're the military), it can be stolen by hidden trojans. IF this game gets even a 10th as popular as WoW, the chinese farmers will realize the value of just stealing your account info after you've crashed.

Even today, in some of the most polished games, crashes happen due to new patches etc. I personally, again from a coder's standpoint, would shun an "easier" method of getting back into the game if it was blatent & out there as this one is.

Just my 2 cents :)!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Never happened to me before, nor have I heard other people complain about it.

So, yeah, quite new, I guess ;)

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Yeah, I wondered about security, too.  I wonder though if it's not a matter of "auto-relogging", and more a matter of crash detection and the session remaining open, and the session resuming via IP authentication.  In that case, a hacker might be able to "create" a crash via a Trojan at a certain time and spoof their way in, but it seems like that would require too much personal action from the hacker to make it worth doing.  Better to just keylog...

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Ikeda

If I recall correctly, it's because of the way that players exist on Rift's servers that allows them some of this functionality.  Something about the character server existing separately from the server with a zone on it.

Eeenteresting... I wonder if my character was put in a "safe bubble" while I was out, or whether their survival was just coincidence.

• tedhalftedhalf Member UncommonPosts: 14

That's where the Coin Lock feature comes into play. The game locks the account if logged in from a different IP address - even thru router reset. Unless they have access your e-mail address your account means nothing to the farmers.

Another note to add: don't go to farmer websites if you don't want your account hijacked!