Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to Merge Servers?

Comments

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Originally posted by Loke666

Some servers will always get a rather low population after the first free month is up. Even games that start to grow soon after release will have some servers with low population 1-3 months after release and some servers get more popular than others, all games will have some larger and some smaller servers.

I think OP should try to reroll on a different server and check out if it looks the same there.

But any game that sells that much the first week probably could close down a few servers, it is of course not unlikely that the game start to growand fill up those spaces again but it will take a while.

It is the usual problem: Either you open up loads of servers at launch or you will have to limit the sales the first week one way or another, neither is a perfect solution but few MMOs keeps more than 60% of the people buying a box, if in fact any.

Ok, then maybe they should come up with a more dynamic system to force people together, like layers on a server that you can mover between instead of seperating people into differnt universes.

• pbowmanpbowman Member UncommonPosts: 33

Originally posted by Zeblade

Yeah its really not in the starting areas. Its when you get to zones lvl 20 and up you find no one there. And like I have said before your always going to get some lame "its all fine" posed in forums yet INGAME you see it and read all about it. Going hours and days to do one 5 man dungeon tells it all. Yeah there are so many playing yet NONE want to do any of them? 

I am sure they will soon. LOL they had the what "freeweekend".. wow its only been 1month and they have that.. thats just sad and shows you how bad  RIFT is doing. Again people will POST its not bad yet INGAME..less people all the time.

Not for sure why having a free weekend would be bad, actually I think its a pretty good idea.  One that more gaming companies should do and probably will.   I told a couple of my friends and they did it and liked it, so want to buy the game.  I have issues with Rift, but the population isn't one of them.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

The server populations are down quite a bit but you still see roughly half of the servers on high at prime time hours. If you play goofy hours it might be hard finding a server that works for you but that is just the nature of MMOs. If you play normal hours and really are having problems finding people just try another server because they aren't close to the point where they need to merge yet.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Rift is a game that functions best when just under the point where you have a queue.  It is the main way to have the big events happen instead of just having wimpy little events.  That said yes I do think each of the high-pop at primetime servers should be eating a med-pop server at primetime server.  Actually it says a lot about the game that I seem to care about it enough to give advice about it despite it nerfing my character to the point where I closed my account.  Very good game dashed on the rocks of class balance, conformity, and content gating.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

For Reals?? I just got out of trail and ppl were complaining bout lag because of to many ppl on the server i was on. Odd topic.

Just proves again that sharding is dumb.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Originally posted by Isturi

For Reals?? I just got out of trail and ppl were complaining bout lag because of to many ppl on the server i was on. Odd topic.

Ofc its  not for real, the servers are still full of people... at least here in europe

• AutorockAutorock Member UncommonPosts: 48

I'm up to level 20 now and there's always been a decent amount of people around. Must be just the server the OP is on.

• Is there a prize for the being the first to suggest a server merge in a new game? I just saw this in another mmo after 3 weeks and went through  server merges more than once in other mmo's but none ever happened quickly in the games history.

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

I had the same issue as op did, on eu server gaurdian side, newbie zone had an ok/good population but after 20 it was rare to meet other people. playd on 1 med server and i rerolled to a high server same thing. But i do think this is big issue with what faction you play on the shards. If you play def you might have a healthy pop while the guard side dont or the other way around.

I never did an population count, if i get the feeling im alone in a mmo i just leave em.

I have no doubt rift has an healthy population all in all so dont get me wrong, but i do think there is an issue with how they handle shards atm.

This is a game i plan the check out again down the road as the game itself was not bad

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by remyburke

http://www.riftgame.com/en/status/index.php

High and Medium server status across the board. My shard (Estrael) seems very healthy.

This link might explain the reason why you have different people having different population experiences and the shards showing mainly medium and high. Trion seem to have set the medium threshold quite low if these numbers are right, and I have no reason to believe they are wrong as I have used the same technique in other games myself. Many did say that opening shards instead of waiting out the queue times was a bad move and they seem to be right.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?156373-quot-Medium-quot-pop-server-can-be-gt-1000-players

Cal.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

After the first month this always happens in a MMO, hardly a newsflash story. It depends on the server, some may need to merge now. Mine does not, can't say if any others should. I am sure Trion are keeping an I on this.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Ya I think they added too many servers. It was okay for headstart, but they added like 6 more for official release. So while I'm sure headstart servers are healthy, I have doubts about others.

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

I find this quite laughable, Its far too early for servers to merge. I find the game to be quite full at most times, there are always players at each rift to wreck mayhem. Perhaps that is only on the server I play on, maybe you joined a server that people are shunning.

A simple solution would be to create a character onto a high populated server, or wait until daytime at prime-times.

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

FYI if you are on the Guardian side in either Whitefall or Ironblood EU you'll find most of the playerbase in the warfronts 'farming' the poor Definace sooooooooooooooo many premades it's a little silly.. Other then that both servers have good actitivity just that most of the playerbase can't seem to leave the cities due to certain games 'forgetting' theres an open world out there - whereas Rift during peak: if there is either a normal invasion or the event version people WILL be out there..

Trion are adding more 'things to do open world' in the major patches as they come, seeing the rate we've gone from launch through a ton of hotfixes, patches AND content updates already in 5 weeks (it's the equililent of 3-6 months for the 'normal' MMOs) it isn't too far off

------

Anywho IF the time comes to 'merge' the servers it's not a huge issue, as there is still only 33 servers IMO, because Trion's server backend is far more powerful then most people think - server downtime for patches is what 15-20 mins if that and the ONLY time they've actally had to take the servers down due to poor fps and ping issues was during the '1.1 part 2' event which they've rolled back till next week (instead of going 'it's your pc deal with it' like most devs do) when normally it can handle a massive invasion quite well - thats the only time in the past 5 weeks the servers have been taken down outside of hotfixes and patches.

Putting two and two together thats one hell of a server backend for a MMO to hold up that well, reason to beleave each 'server' can hold far more then the suspected 'medium pop = 1k', what I beleave Trion have actally done is split those 33 servers into 3 or 4 shards each holding a shared character database just to lessern the que times and stop the playerbase from mobbing each zone as they level - So I honestly beleave all they need to do is flick a switch to 'merge servers' so Rift will not have the promlem of 'barren' servers from months on end while nothing is done.

which ATM honestly isn't an issue with the game, sure it's 'top heavy' already but it's playerbase can easily be anywhere in the game - the map may not look big in zone count but you go into those zones they are honestly huge.

oh and don't use the social window as a means to 'count' the population, there are sites that do that for you and even they aren't 100%

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

I played this weekend and the server was PACKED.  

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

way, way too early to be talking about server merges

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Can't speak for any server besides mine, its medium pop and seems to have adequate population, but I'm in the upper 40's right now, perhaps its a ghost town back at the lower levels, I dunno.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Eh, well its moot anyway. The free weekend is over and Im not about to pay for this game for many more reasons than a poorly thought out sharding system.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Server merges.  ROFLMAO.  If you think that, then you must truly be a troll.  If anything, I want server transfers because my PC lags to hell in Sanctum and Boss raids during invasions due to far too many people around.

Also, I woke up at 4 am the other night, couldn't sleep.  Hopped on and made a new toon on a PVP server.  The server list had ONE server that stated LOW pop.  ONE!  all the rest were high and medium.  Server Merge?  Really? 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by elocke

Server merges.  ROFLMAO.  If you think that, then you must truly be a troll.  If anything, I want server transfers because my PC lags to hell in Sanctum and Boss raids during invasions due to far too many people around.

Also, I woke up at 4 am the other night, couldn't sleep.  Hopped on and made a new toon on a PVP server.  The server list had ONE server that stated LOW pop.  ONE!  all the rest were high and medium.  Server Merge?  Really? 

Hmm, then the server pop thing may be broken. All weekend with the free trial thing going on I haven't seen one above medium. 

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

The servers I am on always seem to be pretty darn busy and at least medium pop no matter what time I am on. When there is an invasion the invading force gets absolutely swarmed by players in the area. The baddies stand no chance.

All that said, from Alpha and through now I have always found it a little challenging to get a dungeon group together. Its not population that causes that and I am not sure what is.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Originally posted by dougmysticey

All that said, from Alpha and through now I have always found it a little challenging to get a dungeon group together. Its not population that causes that and I am not sure what is.

From my perspective, I don't much care about dungeons since the open grouping for rifts is always there. Rifts are 'here and now' and I don't have to stand around waiting to get a group together. Yeah, it means I miss out on the "best gear" but I don't really care if I have it or not. LOL!

Now if they'd make gear drops better and more frequent during major and minor rift events, they could totally can the dungeon instances all together. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Yeah, probably not.  Even at this time most of the servers are listed as "medium" so I would say they are sitting pretty well off.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/status/index.php

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by elocke

Hmm, then the server pop thing may be broken. All weekend with the free trial thing going on I haven't seen one above medium. 

EU or NA?  what time did you play?  what server did you play on?  what level did you get to?  these all make a difference on what you "saw".