Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT Got a high rating, why? [Mod Edit]

13»

Comments

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

The game doesn't suck. A great deal of us just think it has lackluster gameplay.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by Thamoris

Its a good game, it's a lot of fun for a lot of people...pure and simple. If this threatens some folks, for whatever reason, well, that's their problem.

QFE.

Seems some of us like it. At least all the players I meet in game. Just for the little story, yesterday a guild mate said how much he loved the soul system letting us to adapt to group needs. Filling up group spots is now a breeze.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

What rift offers, it offers it well. Polished right from day 1.

However, it's nothing new, and people like me are simply fed up with the same old thing.

Does that make the game bad? Not at all. Again, the game itself is quite solid.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

You know what ever some site says (review) means nothing. For like so many love to say is "they never got past level 5-20). And if you play rift its a BLAST from 1-20 then you start to see it for what is really is.

But cast that all aside. Its whats being said INGAME NOW. Just last night they were talking how they are noticing alot LESS people playing. You know what not one person said troll, wow this wow that.. they talked and agreed that its the same on all servers. They REALLY dont like trying days to get a group when you go in the city and seems like alot there. So many lvl 50's with NOTHING to do but jump around. You go questing come back 1-2 hours later and the same 50's doing nothing.

Its a great MMO yes. But RIFTS never change..NEVER. The invasion are the same.  See its a blast 1-20 becaues thats where most are. Now go take a run to other zones. This MMO is now just over a month and there should be people in other zones. Yet you get there and find 1-4.. thats IT! I keep looking for SNAKE TEARS in 30-45 zones and I ALWAYS on 4 servers I play on ..all HIGH at the time playing.. I always start the rifts and watch 1-6 people come. Thats it. NEVER to this day has there been 10+ doing a lvl 40 rift..ever.

Why play? Well I love wow but playing off and on since 2004 ..its getting old yet there are still TONS of things I HAVE never done in wow. Just like RIFT. But you collect those shards to get? Yeah crap. Go look at what you can buy when you get to level 30-50.. its all looks like lvl 7-20 stuff. Sure theres different armor here and there but like one person said they have over 20k of different shards and what do you do with them? Oh boy the new event some rings, pets, glow.. 

If your lvl 50 you can do a lvl 10 rift and get more then any person there. And I go and just START a rift in zones 30+ then when they start to do them just hit ONE TIME and get 75+ shards and rest of stuff to buy? At 1st its fun but after the 10th time you find you have nothing to buy its the same old killing nothing is different then the lvl 7 rift.. just higher lvls.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Deewe

Its a good game, it's a lot of fun for a lot of people...pure and simple. If this threatens some folks, for whatever reason, well, that's their problem.

QFE.

Seems some of us like it. At least all the players I meet in game. Just for the little story, yesterday a guild mate said how much he loved the soul system letting us to adapt to group needs. Filling up group spots is now a breeze.

Rift has a story ? can't say i've noticed.. having said that. i like the game.. and im subbed to it.. what it does offer is good enough to keep me interested and playing...  image

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Originally posted by Zeblade

You know what ever some site says (review) means nothing. For like so many love to say is "they never got past level 5-20). And if you play rift its a BLAST from 1-20 then you start to see it for what is really is.

But cast that all aside. Its whats being said INGAME NOW. Just last night they were talking how they are noticing alot LESS people playing. You know what not one person said troll, wow this wow that.. they talked and agreed that its the same on all servers. They REALLY dont like trying days to get a group when you go in the city and seems like alot there. So many lvl 50's with NOTHING to do but jump around. You go questing come back 1-2 hours later and the same 50's doing nothing.

Its a great MMO yes. But RIFTS never change..NEVER. The invasion are the same.  See its a blast 1-20 becaues thats where most are. Now go take a run to other zones. This MMO is now just over a month and there should be people in other zones. Yet you get there and find 1-4.. thats IT! I keep looking for SNAKE TEARS in 30-45 zones and I ALWAYS on 4 servers I play on ..all HIGH at the time playing.. I always start the rifts and watch 1-6 people come. Thats it. NEVER to this day has there been 10+ doing a lvl 40 rift..ever.

Why play? Well I love wow but playing off and on since 2004 ..its getting old yet there are still TONS of things I HAVE never done in wow. Just like RIFT. But you collect those shards to get? Yeah crap. Go look at what you can buy when you get to level 30-50.. its all looks like lvl 7-20 stuff. Sure theres different armor here and there but like one person said they have over 20k of different shards and what do you do with them? Oh boy the new event some rings, pets, glow.. 

If your lvl 50 you can do a lvl 10 rift and get more then any person there. And I go and just START a rift in zones 30+ then when they start to do them just hit ONE TIME and get 75+ shards and rest of stuff to buy? At 1st its fun but after the 10th time you find you have nothing to buy its the same old killing nothing is different then the lvl 7 rift.. just higher lvls.

It does not seem that you have played RIFT.

I allways see players in avery zone I go to.

I closed a few low rifts and you do not get what you are saying.

I have seen that the RIFTs are NOT always tha same, there are difrent types.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Deewe

QFE.

Rift has a story ? can't say i've noticed.. having said that. i like the game.. and im subbed to it.. what it does offer is good enough to keep me interested and playing...  image

Yes there is a story, in the game, you do have to bother to read the quest to get it though.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

It is alright and will do for now. I am the oddball in my group in that I am the only one who does not love the game. Taking my time levelling as there is no point to rush to 50.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Cause it's a good and polished game. Of course haters gonna hate and whine, not because game is bad, but because it doesn't carter to them. Mature folks will say it's good game but not for me. Can't wait for GW2 or TOR launches beta so all those go and whine there.

Just look at guys like simmihi whining about world event bug which as of know is already being fixed and event(or should I say phase 2 of it) is temporarily disabled. Surely if world event was delayed he would bitch about that too. Can't please those kind of people.

Seriously Rift isn't perfect but speed of bug fixes, balance fixes and new stuff Trion brings in is amazing. Authenticator, coin lock, hack fixes, solid support(person who was hacked in my guild got restored after 5 days and got 30 days extra game time), balance fixes(champs and sabos) and tons of smaller things like nearly no gold spam(compared to WoW where it's usual stuff). And this is delivered in about one month from release. Compared to pace of bugfixes of LOTRO(which is a good game as well) Trion is like Porsche vs bicycle.

I blame WoW for spoiling kids too much. Blizz being huge company and having millions of players and huge income, while being hated is for them at same time like some kind of holy avatar and each new game released by usually much smaller company is expected to be simply better. Not gonna happen...

• dracomundracomun Member UncommonPosts: 92

Originally posted by simmihi

I understand your thought process, but to expect a new game to have everything current games do is unrealistic. All these tools and systems require time and effort to devolp, if a game didnt lauch until it had every aspect of every other game before it games would never get released. Wow has been out for 7 years how is a brand new game supposed to offer as much unless it were devolped for a similiar amount of time? 

If i were to open a new restaurant on an alley where there's already an old, good restaurant, i cannot offer less than that one offers and advertise "i'm better than that old place" because i will just piss off my clients. That was in fact what Trion said, all their marketing revolved around "this is better than WoW".

Those tools i was reffering to were already developed before by many teams. Trion could hire people who did it before. There was no need to re-invent the wheel. It should not take years, really.

You can advertise that your better then the old place, if you are indeed better in some ways. Rift is better then wow in some aspects and not in others. 

"Those tools i was reffering to were already developed before by many teams. Trion could hire people who did it before. There was no need to re-invent the wheel. It should not take years, really." Just becasue these tools are devolped by otehr companies doesnt mean there any good, everyone wants innovation but they cant wait for it, instead these companies are forced to use old designs that dont work well * wow currently looking for raid menu for insatnce) Just so they can say its included so people like you don't go around and bash them because the LFD tool wont be implemented for a patch or 2 ( which there alreadyw orking on) 

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

You can advertise that your better then the old place, if you are indeed better in some ways. Rift is better then wow in some aspects and not in others. 

"Those tools i was reffering to were already developed before by many teams. Trion could hire people who did it before. There was no need to re-invent the wheel. It should not take years, really." Just becasue these tools are devolped by otehr companies doesnt mean there any good, everyone wants innovation but they cant wait for it, instead these companies are forced to use old designs that dont work well * wow currently looking for raid menu for insatnce) Just so they can say its included so people like you don't go around and bash them because the LFD tool wont be implemented for a patch or 2 ( which there alreadyw orking on) 

A LFG tool is a LFG tool, you group for instances, quests, rifts etc. There is nothing which needs inovation. It's simple. Even f2p games have such tools. The one who starts the group ticks the place where the group will go (Instance X) and when someone joins, it writes their class and eventual role for that place (planning to tank/heal/dps/support). Not an automated tool which forms the group, marks the tanks and teleports you to the instance.

Guild bank, just the same. The functionality is simple. A WoW-like guild bank is more than enough, it doesnt need to cook you dinner or anything, it's just a tool for people in the same guild to store items, like crafting materials, artifact duplicates and such, so others can use them also. Locked based on guild ranks and with history, who took what, who put what, when (and eventually, why).

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Just look at guys like simmihi whining about world event bug which as of know is already being fixed and event(or should I say phase 2 of it) is temporarily disabled. Surely if world event was delayed he would bitch about that too. Can't please those kind of people.

When you, a big game company, tell me "bring over 2 friends this weekend, there's this great world event going on", i expect things to work. Let's say I brought 2 friends from another game, made them download and install, just to experience chain disconnects and 26k ms lag. I am happy that this is acceptable for you, for me it is not. I've paid 60 euros for the CE and another 15 for a month's sub. If i buy something in RL for 75 euros, i expect it to work, not to wait to be fixed.

Lots of people renewed their subscription only to see what this world event is and now they find the great "world event" disabled. Some people planned this weekend for gaming and moved some family/friends activities to other weekends to be able to take part in this world event, and now they cannot. It is bad advertising for Trion, it says that they have a crappy game. My friends are going to go back to their game and spread the word. "OMG, he (me) paid 75 euros for disconnects and huge lag all day!" Cannot convince them otherwise, that's what they saw with their own eyes. That's what happens when you're desperate enough to launch things without testing. Gl getting somewhere with Rift.

Originally posted by crazynanny

I blame WoW for spoiling kids too much. Blizz being huge company and having millions of players and huge income, while being hated is for them at same time like some kind of holy avatar and each new game released by usually much smaller company is expected to be simply better. Not gonna happen...

Then this smaller company should say "well, we got some shitty thing going on, it's still in some form of late beta, we will be good in 6 months". Avoid " Next Gen", "Polished at start", all things which translate in "better than WoW" etc.

Btw, i do not play WoW either. I had expectations from Rift, but they really blew it almost every step on the road so far. And yes, i expect that a new game launched (which plays the same like WoW) to be better than WoW. I think it is a normal attitude. Why would anyone, for the same money, not play WoW and play a fail clone?

Rabid fanbois will be rabid fanbois.

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86

Because Runescape got a 8.5 in the rereview.

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Originally posted by Arkain

Originally posted by Zeblade

It does not seem that you have played RIFT.

I allways see players in avery zone I go to.

I closed a few low rifts and you do not get what you are saying.

I have seen that the RIFTs are NOT always tha same, there are difrent types.

agreed. I have seen many different types of Rifts. Not sure what he is talking about. Close out a grey Rift and you get not much of anything for it, as it should be. All the zones I go through is crazy busy. I play on shadefallen...one of the highest pop servers though  (rp-pve)

Lol many types of rifts. The only thing different about them is the graphical representation. The way the rift works is the same, and there is really no discernable difference between them besides the way they look. Rifts are really just PQ's that took a lot less programming cause they are all exactly the same except for the graphics.

Public quests in warhammer were at least different one from another.

Relativity applies to games as well. A game is judged relative to the only thing it can be compared to, other games. If rift came out in 2000, it would have been a great game.

People dont bash it because they are haters, they bash it because it is such a rehash of whats already been done, and the game companies have been making the same game for 7 years and we are completely sick and tired of it. Not to mention the WoW bop and dungeon grind is a horrible gameplay mechanic. They treat you like a hampster on a wheel, and you let them.

• Justarius1Justarius1 Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by jdobby2

Sorry guys, but this game absolutely sucks.  I uninstalled it shortly after exiting the nub area.  The game has no visual stimulation.  What I see is a designer who copied warhammer, except wanted to also make it prettier.  When I start a game, and I'm in the nub area I usually see high level NPCs with awesome armor and think, "damn, I want that!".  In Rift, all I could think is "I hope that's not waiting for me at the end game."

The combat is ultra generic and completely mindless wow-standard button pressing.  Combat is tedious to say the least. slash slash, build up points, use special move. repeat.

The leveling system is a joke, and it prevents you from speccing all your points into one tree, instead it forces you to spend them in other roles else they just sit there.

The UI is a complete rip off of every other mideival game.  It looks just like WoW and even takes the pact system/combo points right from it.

The only semi- cool thing is that my dude looks decent by level 7 instead of looking like some peasant.

As you can see, this is a very detailed review, but this is nowhere near the rating it recieved.  There is nothing pulling me in, and especially due to the poor visual design.  I'm really glad this ally weekend happened, b/c now i wont need to worry about wether or not I want to play it.

Yeah, I hated Rift, too.  I think the fanbois were desperate for something other than WoW but even most of the people I know who started out with the game are bored with it now and un-subscribing.

The dynamic rifts just aren't that fun.  There ain't much content.  There are all of two starting areas, one for each "side" and they're small and... kinda lame.  The quests railroad you along and God Forbid you want to make an alt character because remember all those boring quests you had to do?  You get to do the exact same ones again.

For Chrissakes at least WoW offers you various quest paths to the end game - more than just one set for horde and one set for alliance.  

I never knew what people saw in this game.  I doubt it will be more than a niche game before long; like Warhammer.  They'll start closing servers down soon.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

it got a high rating because people like it.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

i think that rating an MMO isn't Fair anyway , coz sites rate all MMOs after a week or 2 of the relesse , when MMOs are the all about the Idea of very long term play a year or even more

i think what will rate rift is how many ppl will keep playing it aftyer 3-5 months , take AOC or WAR for example when they came out they took almost the same rating that rift had still look at them now .

• dracomundracomun Member UncommonPosts: 92

Originally posted by simmihi

[...]

Whatever, looks like you cannot challenge my arguments, only excuses for them. "Oh it's not working as intended, but they appologized, isnt that fair enough?" "Oh they lied in the advertising, they continued to lie, but that's advertising, cant blame them", "Oh, 75 euros is crap for them, they are milionaires, shut up you do not matter".

Yes my money mean probably nothing to them, and yes they dont care about me as their customer. That's what i was saying for the people to read, thank you for summarizing it and bringing more weight to my arguments. I'm not going to continue, keep defending them and we'll keep having this kind of fail crappy clones from now to eternity.

Mature people know that sometimes You'll have to wait despite wanting things now.

My decision to sub for another month was directly influenced by the announcement of the event. They made the event to happen exactly when people had to renew their subs, i wonder why? I've paid for a broken product.  It has nothing to do with being or not being able to wait. Servers failed, continuous DC's, lag etc. People can see the Rift forums for themselves, all the proof is there.

I paid for WOW for last 3 eyars waiting for the dance studio, where we were supposed to be able to customize our cahracters dances. It is printed on mt wraith of the lich king box, and yet still is not in game. WOW is horrible and a compelte failure becasue it did not deliver everything it promised.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by Pale_Fire

I don't play the game and probably won't, but I can tell you that your "review" has zero credibility.  I talk to people who actually play the game and they tell a different story. 

ROFL....I unistalled the game after the 5th beta and there is no chance of me ever returning, this game is even more boring than what you posted imo.

Asbo

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261

I think the high rating is okay, because Rift presents an almost bugfree themepark experience until level 50, and after that a dozen dungeons that are actually fun to play (at least once or twice).

Unfortunately Rift has a horrible endgame, combined with an ultra fast leveling speed. The idea of Trion was, that the players bring the community, and Rift brings some grinding spots. There is no community building, there is no depth in the game that could attract hardcore gamers, there is not even a possibility to advance your character further when you reached level 50 beside grinding for gear to be able to grind for more gear... We will see how it will work out. Maybe this is fine for casual gamers, and it seems, these casuals are the majority of gamers nowadays, but I have not seen one game beside wow that could live of them...

(ah, and actually I played the game, reached level 50 in february)

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please read the Rules of Conduct before posting. Personal attacks, baiting, and trolling are not constructive forms of discussion. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.