Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why SWG hasn't bounced back (part 2)

TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by BurntvetAnd theirin lies the word. When SOE crapified SWG they took away most of that choice. People had the choice of playing the NGE or quiting. More than 90% quit.Had they put a real choice for people by now, by way of a classic server, the people would have it. As it is, players don't. Instead, former players choose to stay away from the pile that is current SWG-NGE.Had Smed and the tard circus that is SOE done that one thing, even to the tune of a couple classic severs with "limited support", much of the well deserved SOE hate would have likely moderated by now.SOE hasn't and they can enjoy their well-earned and much deserved terrible reputation in regards to treating "the customer".
SOE is releasing PlanetSide: Next, they said no Battle Frame Robotics in this version (that's what killed PlanetSide 1). Hopefully SOE is starting to learn what and what not to do with their games now, it's far too late with SWG and their other games, now they have DCU and so far the feedback on that game is tipping on the negative side.

:( "necro" posting rule.

Comments

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

I actually feel bad for SOE if they're pinning their future hopes on Planetside, an IP that at its height was a niche title at best.

• AyonarAyonar Member Posts: 44

Anymore i try my best to stay away from this topic, to keep from completely speaking my mind, which would probably get me banned for so many explitives...lol.  I for one would gladly pay full price and a monthly sub once again if they released a classic server. I have the worst taste in my mouth for SOE. I still play EQ2, so its not that i wont play their products, but i think they are the biggest collective group of complete idiots in online gaming.  For people like myself, who played SWG from launch day, clear up to NGE, they completely stuck it to all their loyal subscribers for years, amd basically showed they dont give a damn about their player base. They tried to compete with WoW by turning the game into a god awful theme park MMO. When in reality people for the most part played SWG, because it was nothing like WoW, and every other MMO that was currently out. God i still hate SOE :)

Currently Playing : Rift, EQ2
    Has Played: Anarchy Online, SWG(Pre NGE refugee), DAoC, EQ1, EQ2, Lineage 2, CoH, CoV, Horizons, AoC, FFXI, FFXIV, Aion, WoW, DCUO, Matrix Online, Vanguard, Tabula Rasa, LotRo, Fallen Earth, Shadowbane, EQoA, ArchLord

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by OSF8759

I actually feel bad for SOE if they're pinning their future hopes on Planetside, an IP that at its height was a niche title at best.

I thought SOE was hitching their wagon to DC.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• Dagryn2010Dagryn2010 Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by kobie173

DCUO is already dead...Planetside 2 and EQ Next will be their next monster failures.

• ezduzitezduzit Member Posts: 112

SOE with it’s SWG……. Man oh man…. I can take my headset off for just a minute and think back what this game has done to the north American mentality. To this day, the image of hatred, love, admiration, innovation, and pioneering ways gives it the title as the most powerful MMO the community has ever seen or heard of. We know today what never to do again. Reminds me of Charlie Sheen, or Mel Gibson in it’s own prospective. How Smed survived the wrath is beyond me. How the man from Lucas Arts that ordered SOE to allow everyone to become Jedi instantly is beyond me.

If SOE was a contracted game by some company in Japan, today, they would have looked at Lucas Arts square in the eye and say “There is still hope in our mistakes”. “Let’s give them what they want back”. He would have said it with a grin in his face as if he’s holding nothing back but the mystery that allows him to be one man sharing the exact same idea as the rest of his staff. One beautiful idea.

Sometimes you just don’t look into the future for the answer. SOE had it from the beginning. They only need to look behind them. How hard is that Smed?

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Dagryn2010

DCUO is already dead...Planetside 2 and EQ Next will be their next monster failures.

Not surprising, PC DCUO's activity has dropped like a rock. I don't know how well it's doing on the PS3, as far as I know you have to pay a monthly fee on the PS3 version too?

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

To this day I have never bought another SOE game due to the NGE fiasco. Once bitten, twice shy.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Why in the world do we continue to beat this dead horse.

The reason why SWG never bounced back was SOE's inability to understand its player base and what they wanted.  The NGE blow 90% of their player base right out of the water, and yet the continue to go that route.  

The only folks left were the die hards who actually liked the changes and believe that soe can do no wrong.

Seriously folks the nge messed it up, and SOE knows this but all we hear is there is no way to go back. I heard excuses to the code we did have is way to buggy (it was), to we deleted that code (a lie).

You can blame soe for swg never bouncing back, and folks being smart enough not to pay to play a shallow version of the game.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

How could it have bounced back, the damage is done, SOE has lost its credibility to all the old time swg gamers that quitted for that nge reason and the negative word of mouth is overwhelming still today and there is no hope to get the old days back.
    The only hope would have been if SOE would have sold SWG to another company that would have promised to bring back the classic SWG and to fix the bugs and designs flaws of the classic SWG while staying true to its vision.
    But SWTOR will kill this one chance and imho the window of oportunity for such a deal has closed long a time ago.

How a person like Smedley has survied this stunt is a mystery to me but in that circles of might they may be able to blame everyone else and mourn the "wrong infromations" they got from their underlings instead of taking personal responsibility.
    Its this type of people that make the world become a place of incompetence and unresponsibility.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Is this really a question in need of an answer?

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Keep the memories alive so a sucicidal stunt like this will never happen again ;)

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I feel a bit sorry for SOE, not a lot, but a little. What you have to remember is that the NGE nightmare was instigated at the request of LucasArt, who wanted to compete with WoW. It wasn't all SOE's fault.

Personally I'd recommend that George gets himself some honest staff instead of the obviously butt kissing yes men he has surrounding him. Look at the Star Wars prequal trilogy. The man's deluded.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

SOE will never recover. Us vets have killed the entire company and any future products they make. Smed should have never messed with us. he doomed his his own company for the NGE. We will doom any title the company makes. we will never forget we will never forgive.

Not going to say much more. or i will get banned.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I feel a bit sorry for SOE, not a lot, but a little. What you have to remember is that the NGE nightmare was instigated at the request of LucasArt, who wanted to compete with WoW. It wasn't all SOE's fault.

Personally I'd recommend that George gets himself some honest staff instead of the obviously butt kissing yes men he has surrounding him. Look at the Star Wars prequal trilogy. The man's deluded.

I really wish people would stop saying this.  

Several developers from SOE falt out admitted they came up with the idea for the NGE and had to "sell" it to the lead developers, including Lucas Arts.   Lucas arts did not instigate, force, demand or control SOE into making the NGE.  It was born from the minds of the SOE devs who admitted they hated the design of SWG and were more than anxious to change it.  

Lucas arts simply bought into the greed and approved what it was present.  They share the blame for what happened, but they did not initiate it.

Originally posted by sookster54

SOE is releasing PlanetSide: Next, they said no Battle Frame Robotics in this version (that's what killed PlanetSide 1). Hopefully SOE is starting to learn what and what not to do with their games now, it's far too late with SWG and their other games, now they have DCU and so far the feedback on that game is tipping on the negative side.

People have been saying this for years now.  Soe has learned from this failure or that one.   After everything they do there is the hope that they have learned, but time and time again they continue to make the same mistakes.

If SOE was going to make this change they would have already.   DCU wouldn't be suffering the same problems that previous SOE titles have.  The devs would have a constant stream of communication with players so they feel they are being listened to.  Honestly more information is given in interviews than on their own official forums.  SOE still cares more about the potential player than they do their own customers. 

SOEs corporate culture is set and will not change until there is a change to the leadership. 

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I don't think LEC made the decision, Jeff Freeman admitted he was the one that came up with it.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Daffid011

I really wish people would stop saying this.  

Several developers from SOE falt out admitted they came up with the idea for the NGE and had to "sell" it to the lead developers, including Lucas Arts.   Lucas arts did not instigate, force, demand or control SOE into making the NGE.  It was born from the minds of the SOE devs who admitted they hated the design of SWG and were more than anxious to change it.  

Lucas arts simply bought into the greed and approved what it was present.  They share the blame for what happened, but they did not initiate it.

I don't doubt that the NGE disaster was initiated in-house by SOE. However, I have equally little doubt that Lucas Arts was leaning heavily on them, saying that SWG wasn't producing nearly the revenue that the Star Wars IP "deserved." There were some reports in the summer of '05 about those "focus group" meetings: a regular SWG player tried to get into the program and was told flat-out that he was too old, "not the target market"... and LA was the one running those focus groups.

• BizzlebuffBizzlebuff Member Posts: 87

DCUO is not even close to dead.

Originally posted by Bizzlebuff

Compare the investment to create the game and the very low subscription retention rate, it is a pretty dead game.   The game could probably merge down to 2-3 servers for each platform and still have room to spare.

Originally posted by Bizzlebuff

It is according to lots of players writing posts about Europe servers being dead and one of the highest populated servers being a "ghost town", and although not a very accurate measurement, it's #300 on Xfire while older games like CoH, Champions Online and SWG are hovering around #100.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

SOE will never recover. Us vets have killed the entire company and any future products they make. Smed should have never messed with us. he doomed his his own company for the NGE. We will doom any title the company makes. we will never forget we will never forgive.

No, you didn't. Their shitty business practices and poor products "killed the company." The "vets" did not.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

No, you didn't. Their shitty business practices and poor products "killed the company." The "vets" did not.

Agreed. The "vets" simply exercized their rights as consumers by choosing to no longer play the game.  Based on what I'm reading from people who have played DCUO they still haven't learned how to release a stable game and give good customer service. Why would anyone want to give them their money again after experiencing SWG?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Don't give yourself so much credit. There simply aren't enough "pissed off vets" to overcome a good quality game. WoW has had more players start and leave than SWG could ever hope to have, yet they're still growing.

So, as much as I wish we had the power you think we do, we don't. SOE, and ONLY SOE is responsible for their current state of affairs. Smed believes there is a continual turn-over in gamers because "kids" are an infinite source of future revenue (his words, not exactly, but from a recent interview).

Bottom line, SOE won't recover because they make bad games. DCUO took 5 years and cost $50-60+ million dollars. It represents the absolute BEST work they are capable of. Smed has completely lost touch with his customers.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

Originally posted by sookster54

Originally posted by BurntvetAnd theirin lies the word. When SOE crapified SWG they took away most of that choice. People had the choice of playing the NGE or quiting. More than 90% quit.

Had they put a real choice for people by now, by way of a classic server, the people would have it. As it is, players don't. Instead, former players choose to stay away from the pile that is current SWG-NGE.

Had Smed and the tard circus that is SOE done that one thing, even to the tune of a couple classic severs with "limited support", much of the well deserved SOE hate would have likely moderated by now.

SOE hasn't and they can enjoy their well-earned and much deserved terrible reputation in regards to treating "the customer".

I actually like your signature so much , the SOE lies , that im gonna steal it , but good post none the less.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

SOE are a bunch of jackwagons. The game would still today probably have a few  hundred thousand still playing if they would have left the origional mechanics and systems alone and added more content and such. LEC may have the final say so on what a developer can put in the game concerning certain lore and such, but it was SOE that has the say so on the game and the way it played or plays. The funny thing is, the NGE version has been live longer than the origional one and after all this time there is no way to go back. 

I still laugh that SOE didn't have enough forsight like CCP had and understand that even though at that time had what was considered a huge amount of subbed players, didn't follow the path of EVE and just continue to build on what tney had. They got spooked from what WOW was doing and just flat out made a huge mistake.

Even though SWG was light on actual SW lore and content, it still was a great mmo that in it's early days hasn't been matched yet on that certain community and open world feeling that it contained.