Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Hello and a New Column

Comments

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Could someone post links to them chasing other guilds off for using the name? My lazy google didn't bring any up.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

The King declares that if you get paid well enough to have such fancy titles while playing poorly designed video games...

Where can I sign up?

Do you offer a 1-800 number that I can call and order your kit for 6 easy payments of 19.99?

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by causs

Sorry, but why? Why do you MMORPG crew THINK we want to read stuff from this guild? I THINK we, as a MMORPG community, made it pretty clear the last few weeks that we don't want any more articles from The Syndicate.

And I know this is not about The Syndicate, but when the President & CEO (whatever) talks about a community I just give up. 1200 people and he talks about community? I think he doesn't even know 95%.

Well, like an actual CEO or President of a large company, they might not know everyone but they can help shape the corporate culture. It's more about driving the engine of the big picture.

Setting the tone for a guild, making sure that the guild is running well on a higher level.

As far as this article or any article, well they are a part fo the gaming world. Like it or not. When a guild has such a large member base and is run in a way that is highly organized, I can easily see why there would be articles about it.

My thought is that this is an mmo/gaming site and anything that is noteworthy, good or bad, is fair game to be discussed.

My other thought is that MMORPG.COM should (as another had indicated) open the door to other larger guilds or just guilds that do things that are noteworthy.

My last thought is that if a topic makes people uncomfortable, forces them out of their comort zone, elicits strong emotions on either side of the fence then it's something worth talking about.

Exploring topics, guilds, people, games, etc that are notable, even if maligned (whether justified or not) makes for a well rounded site.

Listing articles that are about things that everyone loves might be popular or desired but it doesn't necessarily force us to think outside the box.

Information is information.

Besides, I dont' know if some of the people in this thread are part of the group who is alwasy clamoring for less censorship but keeping articles off the site because people have decided that it doesn't fall into their world view might be viewed as a sort of censorship.

If there is going to be freedom of information then there needs to be freedom of information on all sides. Not just what one group decides is acceptable. Sometimes having an open society means that we hear from parts of that society that we don't like. Otherwise it becomes more about "it's an open society with a free exchange of ideas but only the ideas 'we' decide are valid".

And that my friends is creepy.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by elocke

I would like to see a poll and results on who wants to read this type of column.  Just to see if I'm in the minority or majority as I could really care less about it or this "Syndicate" who I've never heard of until now.

Yes I agree with this.  I had already put a post over in the section that I was asked to about what we would like to see and not like to see.

So I put one out there saying please don't prop this guild up,  and what do we do.  Ahem.

Well at least I know why were been seeing several news stories on them.

Honestly I been around tons of games without ever running into any of their guild mates, and I am expected to believe this guy is a coe, and he wants to dictate to me terms of how the guilds I play in should be operated.

Oh well back to my cave.

• M00nk3yM00nk3y Member CommonPosts: 18

I am, like most of the readership here, skeptical about a column from the Syndicate. I believe this will end up being one giant advertisement for their guild/company/whatever. Welcome to MMORPG.com Dragon.

Related news: Francis-7 Demands Obama show his Lifejewel or report to Carousel.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Originally posted by SBFord

@finnmacool1: Fixed the wording for you. Better? ;)

much, thanks.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Originally posted by NameWasTaken

The Syndicate? Who are those guyes?

Been playing MMO's since Ultima Online, and never heard of that guild.

Besides when I think of "The Syndicate" I think of...

Ma I loved that game back in the day. :)

that game was great :)

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I would like to see a poll and results on who wants to read this type of column.  Just to see if I'm in the minority or majority as I could really care less about it or this "Syndicate" who I've never heard of until now.

This.

However, I've gone from never having heard of The Syndicate, to disliking them based upon the unwarranted coverage they receive on this site, and the unashamedly derogatory way they respond to any form of criticism.

• S00S00S00S00 Member UncommonPosts: 69

Really?  So you did not read it, could not care -a-less about it - yet u post a message on it's page about it?  Hmmmmmmmm........

I am an Abstract sort of Creature
    Who Dislikes any sort of Restraint
    If you try to pigeonhole me
    I Will Break Free!

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

OH WOW I loved that game back in the day.  I used to run around with a flame thrower and blast everything.  I played the DOS version on my 486 haha.  It's funny, but I am the same and to this day when I see or hear the word 'syndicate' I think of this game.

No idea who the Syndicate guild is and I have been around the block.  The only multi gaming guild I am aware of is my own and the Goons of course.  Good luck to them regardless :)

A lot of the people seem to have 'Not Heard' of The Syndicate , yet there has been quite a lot about them on this site over the last few weeks - so What have u been reading, that u have 'Never Heard' of them?

Seems to be a lot of Nasty Comments going on.

I have heard of them, and Yes b4 I read about them on this site.  And quite frankly I have never heard anything bad - well not until I read the comments on this site via Members of the Forums - so I am not sure where All this Ugliness is coming from - could it be ...........Jealousy?

I Will Break Free!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by S00S00

A lot of the people seem to have 'Not Heard' of The Syndicate , yet there has been quite a lot about them on this site over the last few weeks - so What have u been reading, that u have 'Never Heard' of them?

I have heard of them, and Yes b4 I read about them on this site.  And quite frankly I have never heard anything bad - well not until I read the comments on this site via Members of the Forums - so I am not sure where All this Ugliness is coming from - could it be ...........Jealousy?

I have first hand experience with the Syndicate through its beginninng and into the very first days of the UO beta and beyond.  It is not Jealousy.  Simply put if he is here. . I am not. . last post from me on this site.

EDIT:  had to rebutt somewhat. . 3rd last post :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Oooops Correction -  IT actually said - not I actually said   :P

I Will Break Free!

Originally posted by S00S00

We have heard about them for 3 weeks running,   I done a lot of research trying to find out what they been doing.  Google barely has any information,  lorebooks have some point at a guild that does not exist any more in lotro.  Jealousy no. What we have hear is a a corporation we know nothing about, and as far as I can tell lives in the shadows. I ask what they have really done, I would like to hear their client base speak out about what they have done for them.

Actually I think they were named something different in Lotro other than the syndicate.  I remember back before moria rolled out there was a guild who had an organization like that that went around trying to recruit smaller guilds spouting the same thing were here to keep the community together and prevent guilds from falling apart.

All I can say is I look at this entire thing, and all I can say is caveat emptor.   I will just have to take things as they come and trust in my own judgement.  Right now  all I see is smoke and mirrors.

• duelkoreduelkore Member Posts: 228

Originally posted by finnmacool1

that game was great :)

OMG I totally forgot about ths game. Installing now.  This was the one of the last good pc games created

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Cut out the baiting and personal arguements please. Thanks.

[Mod Edit]

I did not say anyone Has to Accept My View,  It is My View and they can make their own judgments on mine and other views - after all that is what forums r about, isn't it?

It is not the Comments I am talking about it is the Uglyness that is going on about them,  it is so bad that it SOUNDS LIKE Jealousy or Sour Grapes to me. 

I am not telling u or anyone else to. That is My View - reading the more ugly of the comments on this page and others over the last few weeks - u do not have to Think the same way I do, Each to his own thoughts.  Mine at least have NOT been NEGATIVE!

But  U say u have First hand Experience of them and

I Will Break Free!

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

^ I want a poll too, though I've heard of them before now, I just haven't heard of them before this site.

The last two articles were overwhelmingly negatively received. 

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Originally posted by Sovrath

My other thought is that MMORPG.COM should (as another had indicated) open the door to other larger guilds or just guilds that do things that are noteworthy.

We have never closed our doors to any guild... ever. The Syndicate is simply the first large guild that reached out to us. I strongly encourage, should they want to, other large scale guilds to approach us.

Whatever you personal feelings about this particular guild, Its leader,the man we have writing the articles, is well respected within the industry. I've spoken with him a number of times about MMOs and the stuff that goes on around them and he has always been very knowledgable. That's why he has a column here. 

The guild perspective is an area of MMOs that we've lacked in our columns in the past. We're seeking to rectify that.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

mmo communities are so volatile its gonna be interesting seeing this guy wax philosophical on the subject, especially here. hell, the mere announcement of this and people are frothing at the mouth. how dare he!?! hehe. welcome... uh... dragon? this will be entertaining to say the least. who knows, i might even learn something /cheers

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by Stradden

We have never closed our doors to any guild... ever. The Syndicate is simply the first large guild that reached out to us. I strongly encourage, should they want to, other large scale guilds to approach us.

Whatever you personal feelings about this particular guild, Its leader,the man we have writing the articles, is well respected within the industry. I've spoken with him a number of times about MMOs and the stuff that goes on around them and he has always been very knowledgable. That's why he has a column here. 

The guild perspective is an area of MMOs that we've lacked in our columns in the past. We're seeking to rectify that.

Respected by "some" in the industry, not all. The way it's looked thus far is that this site has shown outright favortism towards this guild. That's the perception of the readers based on the comments. Some large guilds might be leery about reaching out to this site based on said perception. Especially when they "in their minds eye" have had The Syndicate and it's leader shoved in their faces and down their throats. You don't have to agree with their views. But in doing so, you've pushed some of your viewers away. You won't please everyone, but pushing people away when you need them to exist as a site isn't helping either.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

Well I will ask this respected by whom in the industry?  I been trying to figure out who they have helped, who they have worked for and so forth.

I have one issue right now,  one of there members got on this thread tonight and well all you got to do is scroll up and see where Mr Langley already gave a warning.  So is this what were going to see each time they post something, and folks might disagree.  Have one of there members come in and lambaste all of us.  That I believe is going to be an on going problem as I see it.

I will try and keep an open mind but honestly their resume appears very thin.

• DwarvishDwarvish Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by finnmacool1

"MMORPG.com is pleased to feature a brand new column that will focus on gaming communities. No one is more eminently qualified to talk about these two critical features than the President and CEO of The Syndicate Sean Stalzer. Read Sean's introductory column as he offers up his qualifications and some thoughts about the future of his column."

I havent even made it to the article and already two bones to pick. First off, what TWO critical FEATURES are you talking about? A community isnt a "feature" and even if it was that's only one example.

Secondly, are you seriously trying to say no one in the entire world of gaming is more "eminently" qualified than this person in the realm of game communities? Seriously? No one? Is anyone remotely close? Maybe you could give us your top ten and list what ranking system you used to tally that score.

Did you actualy read the piece? If so you must have seen the following statement made by Sean:

By no means do I profess to have the "only" view on a topic and I would welcome debate, counter-ideas and differing viewpoints and with the vocal readership at this site. 

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.  How about a viewpoint regarding the issue? {mod edit}

{mod edit} It takes something very special to do what the Syndicate has accomplished.

Oh yeah, the issue...its about gaming in general and could be an interesting topic.

I'm in a 5 year old guild that seems to be drama free and its great. I used to form a guild of one to avoid guild spam.

If and when you find a good guild it becomes more than just a bunch of names. Help is freely given for both gaming and rl issues, tech info, new games on the horizon...lots of great stuff :) and it can definetly make any game more fun.  I actualy got to know people which makes a huge difference. I say this as primarily a solo player that has very much enjoyed both getting, and giving help to a guildy that I know from the guild forums.

Welcome aboard Sean. Here's hoping more people start reading and responding to issues. 

• DwarvishDwarvish Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by erictlewis

Well I will ask this respected by whom in the industry?  I been trying to figure out who they have helped, who they have worked for and so forth.

I have one issue right now,  one of there members got on this thread tonight and well all you got to do is scroll up and see where Mr Langley already gave a warning.  So is this what were going to see each time they post something, and folks might disagree.  Have one of there members come in and lambaste all of us.  That I believe is going to be an on going problem as I see it.

I will try and keep an open mind but honestly their resume appears very thin.

Thier resume 'appears' thin because you know little or nothing about them.

They have been involved with both gaming companies and product manufacturers..who respect them.

If anyone truely wants to know it only takes a few minute to collect info on the guild. {mod edit}

• animeoutlawanimeoutlaw Member UncommonPosts: 27

I've heard of them before. I saw them in a MMO Documentary called "Second Skin" which was very fascinating. Its something I think all gamers should watch. It really dives into the negative and positive aspects of online gaming. And shows people whos lives its impacted in both good, and bad ways. At any rate, let me post links for all of you that dont know who they are. And I'll also link the documentary for any that are interested in watching it.

(Official Site)

- http://www.llts.org/

(Article about them setting a world record for longest running Online guild in history)

- http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/90313

(Video Game Law Blog post about them beign a Registered Trade-mark)

- http://www.daledietrich.com/gaming/the-syndicate-gaming-guild-registers-a-trademark/

(Sean Stalzers book "The Legend of the Syndicate: A History of Online Gaming's Premier Guild")

- http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Syndicate-History-Gamings-Premier/dp/1933770023

(ZAM Article about their 15yr Anniversary)

- http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=25093

(Second Skin Documetary I found on Megavideo. Which shows The Syndicate)

- http://megavideo.com/?v=VV1WLY4Y

---------

erictlewis: I hope these are helpful ;).