Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fanboy? Me?

WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

OMG I have turned into a RIFT fanboy... What the hell is wrong with me. I have never been this way.......Am I alone?

Comments

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Originally posted by Elidien

Nah, you are not alone. I will not turn into a Trion fanboy just yet but the game, the launch, the communication, the everything has been as close to perfect as I can expect FOR ME.

Yes I know there are queues, I know there was a restart, I know there were bugs but its an MMO launch. Problems will happen, issue will occur and their job is to minimize those issues. I work in a job where we have our "hell times" like a launch day and that's what we do - we expect problems, we prepare the best we can, devleop alternate strategies and then go with the flow and do our best to make sure it negatively impacts our customer as little as possible.

Trion did just this and to me, that is a good thing. Its not their fault that every hardcore PVP guild planned to roll on the same server and the queue is in the thousands. That is the communities choice. Trion's job is to make sure the server runs and performs.

What astounds me is that this happens with every MMO launch and people complain and seem surprised. yes there will be queues, the next few days will suck, then launch day will come and it will be bad again, and then a few days after, it will be a non-issue.

So I am close to being a fanboy but I am not blinded. I have my reasons for supporting Rift and Trion and chief among those reasons is their openness and communication with their players. If they keep in touch and listening and communicating with the fanbase like they have, then I plan to be a fanboy for months and years to come.

Lets just pray to god that they don't give in to all the bitching and whining about WoW this and WoW that and that they actually don't turn RIFT into WoW. Cause right now I don't really see how anyone can even compare RIFT with WoW. Other than of course ..the interface looks similar but with better customizability

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Originally posted by Wrender

Nah, you are not alone. I will not turn into a Trion fanboy just yet but the game, the launch, the communication, the everything has been as close to perfect as I can expect FOR ME.

Yes I know there are queues, I know there was a restart, I know there were bugs but its an MMO launch. Problems will happen, issue will occur and their job is to minimize those issues. I work in a job where we have our "hell times" like a launch day and that's what we do - we expect problems, we prepare the best we can, devleop alternate strategies and then go with the flow and do our best to make sure it negatively impacts our customer as little as possible.

Trion did just this and to me, that is a good thing. Its not their fault that every hardcore PVP guild planned to roll on the same server and the queue is in the thousands. That is the communities choice. Trion's job is to make sure the server runs and performs.

What astounds me is that this happens with every MMO launch and people complain and seem surprised. yes there will be queues, the next few days will suck, then launch day will come and it will be bad again, and then a few days after, it will be a non-issue.

So I am close to being a fanboy but I am not blinded. I have my reasons for supporting Rift and Trion and chief among those reasons is their openness and communication with their players. If they keep in touch and listening and communicating with the fanbase like they have, then I plan to be a fanboy for months and years to come.

Lets just pray to god that they don't give in to all the bitching and whining about WoW this and WoW that and that they actually don't turn RIFT into WoW. Cause right now I don't really see how anyone can even compare RIFT with WoW. Other than of course ..the interface looks similar but with better customizability

They dont have to try/avoid anything. The game is a mainstream mold clone since headstart (and was in beta, just i wasnt in beta).

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

they cannot turn RIFT into WoW cause RIFT already is WoW, only with 2010 graphics

I understand that for some people this is not a necessarily a bad thing though

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Originally posted by A_hi

they cannot turn RIFT into WoW cause RIFT already is WoW, only with 2010 graphics

If people would STOP for god's sake trying to play the game like it was WoW perhaps this idiotic trend of saying "This is just like wow would stop" Cause it really ain't.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I'm a Rift fanboy, no question about it. I love the game - the graphics, the character customization, the skill trees, the Rifts/PVP/questing - pretty much the entire package. I'm in the mid-30s and casually making my way to the endgame. I only play a few hours a week, so perhaps this keeps the experience more "fresh" for me than for people who are grinding through to lvl 50 in a matter of weeks.

The Rift = WOW comparison is the same as the LotR = WOW comparison. And the Aion = WOW comparison. And ... <insert examples ad naseaum). At this point, it's like saying all cars are like Hondas because they have 4 wheels. Some times I go for the car with the better options, sometimes because I like the look, and all the time when I have taken it for a test drive and it just "feels right." My test drive with Rift during beta locked in my purchase, and I have no regrets.

I'm not the type to run around telling people why Rift is better than their game, but I will defend its strengths and grudgingly admit its weaknesses while hoping it continues to grow and improve. I guess that makes me a fanboy, but not a "rabid" fanboy.

• moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 134

Did something really good happen in the game that made you want to post this? You know , like when you know you are getting a new computer or an epic or something , you get that lil gitty feeling inside and want to proclaim your happiness to the world..

And then the next day that happiness is gone and you are left with whatever it was.

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Originally posted by Wrender

If people would STOP for god's sake trying to play the game like it was WoW perhaps this idiotic trend of saying "This is just like wow would stop" Cause it really ain't.

I didnt play it like Wow, because i played WoW only for like 45ish levels years back. Doesnt change the facts about tier grind and daily quest adn pseudo crafting Same as everywhere. If you feel better i ll say that EQ2:DoV is exactly the same as Rift/WoW and probably current state of AoC and a few more games out there. Same core mechanics.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I think what confuses people and drives them into thinking that X game is similar to Y game is not necessarily the gameplay similarites themselves. More likely it's the similar goals, whether they are progress goals or end game goals.

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Xasapis

I think what confuses people and drives them into thinking that X game is similar to Y game is not necessarily the gameplay similarites themselves. More likely it's the similar goals, whether they are progress goals or end game goals.

Indeed, that's another thing that RIFT shares with WoW completely. Endgame heroic (or whatever are called in RIFT) dungeons grind for gear and currency, then raid gear grind.

Once again, I am not saying this is a bad thing but please stop saying RIFT is oh so much different from WoW, cause it really isn't.

Well, end game WoW has totally abandoned open world, while Rift is still pushing people towards clearing Rifts etc there. So there are differences. Also expert dungeons play different (and have more bosses) than their normal counterparts to the point of feeling new, so that's another plus as well.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I probably would be, if only they cared about having any kind of moderation on roleplaying servers, at least character names...

The RP servers of Rift are the worst for roleplaying, compared to any other game that allows the option to play on a roleplaying server, from my experience. The ammount of ooc names like Wtfroflstomped and Rtfmplx and 1337 ooc speek in /s in the main cities is ruining it for me personally...

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Indeed, that's another thing that RIFT shares with WoW completely. Endgame heroic (or whatever are called in RIFT) dungeons grind for gear and currency, then raid gear grind.

Once again, I am not saying this is a bad thing but please stop saying RIFT is oh so much different from WoW, cause it really isn't.

Well put..

Its VERY Linear and the final goal in the game is as you stated: BG's for PvP Gear,  Dungeons for PVE Gear & Currency .

What a lovely formula for mmorpgs today. Now thats now a bad thing, if this is your type of mmo fun.

However at least in WoW you got different starting area's with different races, this is not available in RIFT yet unless you

decide to roll the opposite faction.

I am now better though when choosing games I get giddy about, I do play GW's, AO and Eve, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder as we all know.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Trion has not said a word in 2 weeks since the  patch and have locked many threads asking why the silence.

i can praise them on a smooth launch and a fun game but the comunication?nah,even SoE has better communication then trion has.

2-3  weeks of posting we are listening to 2-3 weeks of silence = poor csr.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

lol Are you people demented?

Other than rifts themselves the gameplay is exactly the same on top of the simliar goals and grind.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Trion has not had any communication in 2-3 weeks?

http://forums.riftgame.com/forumdisplay.php?249-Dev-Tracker

Yep no communication at all.  /sarcasm

I'm a fanboy.  I didn't plan on it.  Trion won me over and their game is great.  Is it perfect?  Nope.  No game is.  Not one.  That's what happens when you have to appeal to the masses.  There will be things you like and things you don't.

The game is linear?

From my experience it is linear through the first two zones and the drastically opens up.

You have at around level 42, quests to do in Moonshade/Droughtlands/Shimmersand/Iron Pine Peak.  Having the option to do quests in four different zones, doesn't sound linear to me.

The game is linear at low levels I think is an absolutely accurate assessment in Rift.  The whole game linear?  Absolutely not.

You have level 50 quests that send you all over the world btw also.

Rift experts are the same as WoW herorics?  Not even close.  Rift is the most difficult themepark MMO to come out in years.

It will be interesting to see what Trion's response will be when the vast majority of players won't be able to complete the content because it's too hard.  Experts in Rift are challenging.  That's a fact.  Not an opinion, but a fact.  They're designed that way .  Except for one or two nerfs and adjustments (Skarn being the most recent), every Boss change that has been made has been to close exploits and change things to make the Bosses even harder.

This alone sets Rift apart from the pack. 

You also have the different currency (Planarite as an example) that encourages players to do other types of content also.  All of these things work together to encourage you out of the traditional quest format that Rift offers. 

If you're doing the same thing everyday in Rift, It's because you choose to do it.  Not because there's nothing else to do.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

<-RIFT Fangirl here. Not sure how it happened, but so far I've been pretty damn impressed by Trion and RIFT's launch. :)

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Trions also doing an irc chat right now arent they?

Nice link to the dev tracker thats funny.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Linear = Themeparks mmo's

No matter what fork in the road you take to get to 50 and to get to end game for gear and faction grinding.

Then rinse and repeat with another toon and go through all the same areas again to get to 50 for gear and factions grinding once again.

Now I am not knocking RIFT, I am just saying its very linear and nothing changes in these types of mmo's.

* on a side note

Despite how big and many staring zones WoW has to offer now over RIFT, its still one of the BIGGEST linear mmo we got.

Now take for example: UO, Shadowbane and SWG (pre-nge) = total different mmo experience than the themepark mmo's

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Been already called rabid fanboy so I guess I'm in the club too :)

And frankly I have no idea what single feature keeps me so entertained. As if You pick them one by one, You usually will think, been there did that. Yet all of them together makes Rift fun.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

the only one complaining are those who rushed at the start as fast as they could to 50......now they are standing in major city waiting for expert dungeon groups.....i would be bored too just standing there.....its their own fault that they are bored now.

all of us casual players are all happy with the content and choices in play (questing, rifts or just pvp).

whiners will always ne whiners.......no firm can produce content as fast as the "hardcore freaks" can grind it.

yeah i sayd grind......because playing and just plain lvl grinding isnt the same omho.

I've put about 450 or so hours in the game at this point and I still have fun. There are annoying things, there are things that I would prefer they were done differently, there is grinding that I would prefer it wasn't there ... but for now the balance between fun and boredom is positive. So I'll keep on playing the game for now.

•  

Yeah, not sure how it happened either but negative posts about Rift tend to piss me off. That makes me a fanboy right?

It's just I read these posts telling me what a miserable game it is, and then I play it and have a blast. Or I read how it is identical to WoW when I played WoW for a month and loathed it.

Or I read posts how Rift will fail just like WAR and AoC etc, yet it is doing fabulously... it gets pretty tiring and its hard not to think that for many of these posters the problem is not the game but them.

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

Linear = Themeparks mmo's

No matter what fork in the road you take to get to 50 and to get to end game for gear and faction grinding.

Then rinse and repeat with another toon and go through all the same areas again to get to 50 for gear and factions grinding once again.

Now I am not knocking RIFT, I am just saying its very linear and nothing changes in these types of mmo's.

* on a side note

Despite how big and many staring zones WoW has to offer now over RIFT, its still one of the BIGGEST linear mmo we got.

Now take for example: UO, Shadowbane and SWG (pre-nge) = total different mmo experience than the themepark mmo's

I understand where you're coming from.  Yes no Themepark will be as varied as a sandbox MMO.  Rift is not a sandbox.  I define linear as options to do.  So when people say questing is linear, I take it for what it is.  The traditional quest format has a structured play to it and will be linear when compared to a Sandbox.  Rift does offer more options than other themeparks at later levels of what you can do and what quests to follow as you level to cap.  My comparisons only apply to the type of MMO (that being themepark) when comparing how 'guided' a game is.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I've never been a fanboy of any game, except maybe Zelda, FFXI, or DAoC.  Even then I still pointed out the things wrong, or I didnt like about them.  I just can't understand why there seems to be so much hate about Rift.  We all knew it was going to be linear questing.  We all knew how the rift/invasion system worked.  We all knew alot about everything in this game.  So if we all knew these things and you didn't like it, then why'd you buy it?  I have a feeling alot of the hate on this forum is from people who haven't even played except maybe a free weekend, or beta.

I've heard people compare the graphics to WoW or WAR.  This couldn't be further from the truth.  I run the game with all graphics settings maxed and it's just plain stunning.  There's a foggy gloom in Gloamwood.  Duststorms in Scarlet Gorge. And many other effects you don't even see in games like Age of Conan or Lord of the Rings, which most would agree are the best looking MMOs.

The combat is similar to WoW, WAR, and just about every other MMO that has ever been popular.  I don't get what's wrong with that.  If it isn't broke, don't fix it.  This and questing is about where the similarities end.  Rift took, as a base, what has worked well in the past and improved on it. 

The Soul system is a great relief for someone like me who normally has 50 characters in a game that only has 10 classes (WoW I had about 70-80 lol, ADHD ftl).  In Rift, I have only 6 characters and I'm completely happy with each of them.  I can switch from a Raid healer to a soloer with the click of a button.  No more having to level up 4 shamans just because I want one of each type possible (WoW).  Half the fun is mixing and matching the Souls to find that perfect build for you and you alone.  You can always be a Cookie Cutter if you want, but I've never really been that way in any game.  I have a style I like to play and I play it.  It doesn't have to be the best to be good in Rift.

The Invasion system is another one of the great things I love about this game.  One minute I'll go from soloing a bunch of undead and werewolves controlled by The Hag; to a 40-man raid within minutes.  This kind of difference and spontaneity of the game keeps things interesting and fun.  You'll never know what you're going to be doing 10 minutes from now.  The rewards for doing these invasions are good too, and not hard to obtain.

The Endgame, although not fully finished (seems like they're going to be added new content with world events every several months), is similar to that of WoW, but much more fun.  The instances actually change as you do higher Tiered Dungeons.  There's new bosses and things are ALOT harder than WoW.

My highest is rank 3, but from what I've seen PvP can be unbalanced until you reach level 50.  At level 50, the majority of your PvP will be done in guild pre-mades (at least it is for me), and this is alot more fun than PUG.  Other than a few things, like an all Pyro group, PvP in the endgame is fun.  The rewards you get from PvP are very good as well.  I've heard that they plan on making it open world pvp, not just Warfronts.  Raiding Meridian or Sanctum will give you Favor, not just doing it for the heck of it.

Sorry for the long, seems-like-a-rant/review post, but the servers where down for 10 minutes hehe.  I'm going back to what I love, RIFT!