Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why does maple story get a lot of hate?

HardcomferHardcomfer Member Posts: 1

I'm mainly refering to current day maple story. In general, I feel the game has developed a lot & for the better since when it first came out. I think its a great game. They are constantly releasing new patches so over time, the game has gotten a lot of new content. Sure it has a cash shop but with maple trade system you can sell items through it that you find in the game for cash shop cash. And really, cash shop isnt really required, a lot of it is cosmetics. Also, I notice they continue to step up security to get rid of hackers (of course you cant get rid of them all). And recently the new patch worked on making the game less grindy (of course its always going to be grindy cause its a mmo). I feel the game has more dignity then a lot of other bigger name modern 3d mmos. Plus I enjoy the oldskool 2dness of it too. Graphics arnt everything. Its a fun game. Its definately not perfect but its good for what it is. All this applies to nexon too, which is their company. Nexon seems to get too much unnessicary crap from people too. Id rather take nexon any day of the week over something like EA or Activision lol.

Comments

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I do agree that it has a ton of content, but it is completely cash shop driven.

- Cubes can only be obtained through the CS

- Shops can only be obtained through the CS

- Scrolls for item enhancement are mostly obtained through the CS ( via Gach )

- Apples are obtained only through the CS

Poor support and questionable security doesn't help MS either.

• meilirsmeilirs Member UncommonPosts: 33

Well I got to level 63 without using the cash shop. You only really need it if you want "the best" but if you just want to play and relax then cash shop is not needed.

The only reason I stopped playing was because I ran out of free time and one of the updates/patches made my install freeze.

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I think the community makes this game hard to play without friends.
    Honestly, the people are talkative, but at least 25% of them are little whiny kids or just plain jerks.
    When I first started playing, people were mature. Not anymore.
    The cash shop was never a problem. You would have no problem leveling with a 4/7 scrolled or 5/7 scrolled item, which would cost a bit of money but if you're a smart player you should have enough saved up.
    When I played, my brother wanted to minmax his game to the extent of a free player; however, now I know most people just don't care for casual play. Get some average items and be an average player, if you're having fun then have fun. I think people were too obsessed with certain advantages from the CS.
    Since the Big Bang update, I've been seriously considering returning since the gameplay seems more fun than it was before (and less grindy since the exp required to level was halved, and there's 5x more PQs than there were before). But I refuse to without friends, since the community is really... bad.
  • meilirsmeilirs Member UncommonPosts: 33

Bisurge, when I played like two years ago (IIRC) a lot of people that I knew used the cash shop for just one thing - looks. That was it.

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by meilirs

Bisurge, when I played like two years ago (IIRC) a lot of people that I knew used the cash shop for just one thing - looks. That was it.

Yeah, then Nexon put in game breaking cash items to make more money.
  • SimperFiSimperFi Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by bisurge

I think the community makes this game hard to play without friends. Honestly, the people are talkative, but at least 25% of them are little whiny kids or just plain jerks. When I first started playing, people were mature. Not anymore. The cash shop was never a problem. You would have no problem leveling with a 4/7 scrolled or 5/7 scrolled item, which would cost a bit of money but if you're a smart player you should have enough saved up. When I played, my brother wanted to minmax his game to the extent of a free player; however, now I know most people just don't care for casual play. Get some average items and be an average player, if you're having fun then have fun. I think people were too obsessed with certain advantages from the CS. Since the Big Bang update, I've been seriously considering returning since the gameplay seems more fun than it was before (and less grindy since the exp required to level was halved, and there's 5x more PQs than there were before). But I refuse to without friends, since the community is really... bad.

Well to be honest, a lot of games are that way now. You look at the majority of the games out there, they tailor to children. And what do children do? They whine.

It's pretty difficult to find a decent game out there, especially if you're not willing to go sandbox. Fortunately I found one (http://www.renaissancekingdoms.com  if you sign up, chose Ireland and send OneShotPaddy a mail). If you guys are willing to put up with the browser-game interface it's actually a lot of fun, with a ton of content. Everyone being a real person is extremely helpful as well, no NPC's or quests. Real politics, real economy, fake battles with real people. It's all historically based as well. Get a good group and let them help you out as it's got a steep learning curve at first.

Now I can't say I've ever played Maplestory but I've seen some of it and I don't think it's my cup of tea. I could see just looking in from the outside that it was going to be infested with punks/kids/item shop. Hopefully you guys can find something else to draw your attention.