Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm thinking about playing L2..

lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

Is the population pretty high? Are the markets alright? and is the PvP fun and abundant?

If the population is medium-high..which server has the highest pop?

Thanks!

Comments

• NatalieTamNatalieTam Member Posts: 13

Let's say someone asked you whether Lineage  or EverQuest had more subscribers worldwide. If you replied "What is Lineage?" you would not be in the minority if you lived in the United States. Surprisingly, Lineage hammered EverQuest in terms of subscribers due its enormous popularity in Korea. However, Lineage did not make a great impact when it finally made it to the U.S. in 2001.

Now, the sequel is being released in the U.S. from the start with vastly improved graphics. This game is truly beautiful to behold and you can see that beauty as early as the log-in screen believe it or not. You are instantly greeted with a lush scene that almost feels like a real paradise. The beautiful graphics do not decline one bit in the actual game either. However, you will run across my first complaint with this game not more than few seconds after that gorgeous log-in screen. For such an amazing looking game, you have very little control over what your character looks like. For example, I created an Orc and I saw dozens of carbon copies of myself walking around villages. Not exactly a way to go about getting people interested in their online avatars. 

Moving back to getting started in the game, Lineage 2 does a good job of walking you through all the steps of learning the basics of the game. You are assigned a few mundane tasks and you carry them out with hints along the way. When doing these tasks you will notice that your character moves rather awkwardly. Maybe the best way to describe it would be like a hunchback. In addition, the interface feels a little awkward as well since you have to click on an NPC or monster twice to do anything.   

In the game itself, you will notice a very vibrant world that is usually fairly busy. It is in the real busy areas that you will experience significant amounts of lag. A few times I was even booted off the server because it got so bad. Once you get past this lag, you will start hunting with training weapons and SLOWLY gain levels and money. I was somewhat amazed at how expensive all the equipment was even after gaining 4 or 5 levels. Thus, you will need to spend an enormous amount of time in Lineage 2 if you want to do anything worthwhile in the game. In fact, this is one of the slowest paced MMORPGs that I have played yet. 

However, Lineage 2 does have a lot to offer MMORPGers besides just great looking graphics. Look for massive updates known as Chronicles on a regular basis to provide a nice steady supply of new content. The first Chronicle finally delivered one of the more hyped features of Lineage 2, Castle Sieges. Castle Sieges can occur on 5 castles and you must make appointments for them. Unlike other massively multiplayer games such as Dark Age of Camelot, Anarchy Online, and PlanetSide, these high profile events are performed by player-created clans instead of preset factions.

Although special events like Castle Sieges garner more attention, the feature that interested me the most was having one ultimate monster, Antharas the Land Dragon. Yes, millions of video and PC games have had an ultimate end boss in the past but I like the fact that its being done in a high profile way on a MMORPG. Besides, players that have spent enough time to get strong enough to face this monster deserve to have one clearly definable uber confrontation. Due to this extremely high time investment, Lineage 2 will only likely appeal to the hardcore gamer.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 572

I dont know, lineage was a very good game, but the latest update goddess of destruction of something was just full of gimmicky and shiny graphics, i fear it will become like all other boring slow crappy mmorpgs

• jellcrjellcr Member Posts: 16

Simple. If you want to play a game where you have to put real time into your toon and work for things L2 is a great game. If you are a casual player and only plan to play a few hours here and there you wont be happy and always be left behind. I have played L2 for about 4-5 years now and still want to keep playing. I have played other MMO's for about a total of 1 month and nothing ever compares to L2. Didnt even get through the total free trial time on any of them...

There are only 2 servers right now. US and EU pick where you live for the best experience.

Lineage2: Chronos
    83+ PP (Main...)

• IkegIkeg Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by lennpell

Is the population pretty high? Are the markets alright? and is the PvP fun and abundant?

If the population is medium-high..which server has the highest pop?

Thanks!

The population isn't huge, however there is only one server so there are probably just as many people on the server as a high WoW server, so in the end it's not a big deal at all.

Markets are fine.

PvP is great, I won't go into specifics just google it.

I wouldn't suggest it though. It's probably a little late for newer players.

Everquest and Everquest 2 Veteran.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by jellcr

Simple. If you want to play a game where you have to put real time into your toon and work for things L2 is a great game. If you are a casual player and only plan to play a few hours here and there you wont be happy and always be left behind. I have played L2 for about 4-5 years now and still want to keep playing. I have played other MMO's for about a total of 1 month and nothing ever compares to L2. Didnt even get through the total free trial time on any of them...

There are only 2 servers right now. US and EU pick where you live for the best experience.

I agree totally on what he said. I been playing for about 5 years and have tried everything out there at some point but nonthing was able to pull me away from Lineage 2. I still enjoy the game today just like I did years ago and thats saying something.

Lineage 2 is a game that was designed for you to play for years and thats what makes it so special. When you earn something in Lineage 2 you really get a feel of accomplishment.  Take your time and just have fun. Its never to late to start playing a mmo as long as that mmo is still gettting updated with content. We have a major update comming soon so if you start now you can be higher level by the time the update comes.

• bluewindtgbluewindtg Member Posts: 2

Generally I'd say, hands down go ahead and play the game for a month and see what you can do with it. But I'll add on a little caveat of knowledge, private servers for L2 make the game rather entertaining and free. So I'd suggest start there, then buy the game if you actually enjoy it on the private servers.

• jellcrjellcr Member Posts: 16

Just keep in mind that with private servers most are xp/adena *x and things wont go as fast in the real deal.

Lineage2: Chronos
    83+ PP (Main...)

• MoBROKENHEADMoBROKENHEAD Member Posts: 9

Well I recently re-subbed (started again)... and WOW I really forgot how much fun it was. Dudes right when you earn somthing in L2 it really feel like 

"cool that took me a week to do that quest and f**k it was fustrating.. but then I got it done!"

How many games make me feel that way?   Just one.

Mo