Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is WoW the most popular MMORPG?

2»

Comments

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by Garvon3

Timing
    Advertising(Blizzards name and the biggest marketing budget of an MMO ever)
    Simplicity, ease, and design aimed at people with ADD
    low system reqs
    momentum
    Done.

This is pretty much why it has done as well as it has had. Also bear in mind most wow players dont even know other MMORPG games exist as they dont advertise themselves that well. And of course its very easy to play with very little non handholding needed and plenty of shiny carrots to keep you hooked.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• armageddon19armageddon19 Member Posts: 29

some games are still worth the try....  WOW isn't the best MMO of all time....

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'll tell you exactily..........Timing

First there was UO, this game was in 2D looking down, great in it's day.

Then EQ1 and Dark Age of Camelot around the same time, again great games but still needed improvements.

Then WoW and EQ2 around the same time. Both were a step up.  However EQ2 had major coding problems and did not run very well on most computers.

So now we know the founders of MMO's.  Now we can look at other compatition.....Well there really was not much, maybe Starwars, and Eve.  But WoW was fun and captured people of all ages.

Important :

With a head start, players would put up with bugs, and low amounts of content for lack of competition.  Blizzard made a bold move and re invested profits quickly, where Sony the makers of EQ 2 took the money and ran with it only later to create paid expansions.

World of Warcraft " NOW " has wayyy to much content that it is almost impossible for anyone to catch up, along with an mmo player base that demand perfection from the start. only later did they make paid expantions, they timed them well. Kind of like ATM machines, hook people for a long time before charging a fee.

Believe it or not Vanguard and Lord of The Rings Online both understood this and developed mmo's that were full and complete games. However Vanguard was pressured into releasing to early along with using the same crappy coding as EQ2, and Lord of the Rings seemed to be boring, and something was just off with the game.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Your survey needs to be adjusted. It does not properly account for people who do not play and enjoy WOW like myself. A better angle to approach this from would be to answer A.) what aspects of games people like B.) how do those aspects fit into WOW

For example, I prefer games that require a great deal of forethought and strategy, even for solo and small group endeavors. I prefer games like Anarchy Online and EVE Online as a result. Since not everyone prefers the same, this does support the concept of accessibility being a reason to choose WOW.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• NickBrickNickBrick Member Posts: 3

it is the most popular MMO because of its fun core gameplay and refining system.

• Sixfive56Sixfive56 Member Posts: 1

I am thinking about getting either RIFT or WOW. I haven't played either one but i? want a good MMORPG and these two have definitely attracted my eye. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which one you like best and why, and your dislikes and why. What do you like better for WOW or Rift, PvP, PvE, Questing, Storyline, Dungeons and Raids, Fluidity, World Environment; I know obviously the graphics and character selection are better in Rift which i like a lot. I know that the storyline is great in Wow, or from what I have heard. I know it is hard to compare the two games because they are both so different but I want people’s opinions that have played BOTH games, and not only get to lvl 10 in RIFT and say it was boring or something. I want to know details about the pros and cons of both games. Also I know that RIFT is a newer game and not many people play as much as WoW but i have a feeling within the next few months RIFT will have a huge community, I like games with a big community because it makes it more fun I think. Alot of my friends play WoW and I would like to know, what is your favorite???? Thanks! 

And when you answer take it from my standpoint, every MMO is different and has different things, just because you don't like one or the other because you’re not used to it or it doesn't play how your used to doesn't mean someone else will too.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

It is a bit tough to answer from your standpoint when we don't know what it is. A little bit of input on your own likes and dislikes would help, particularly in terms of experiences with other MMO's.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• Green37Green37 Member Posts: 3

Because the creator is blizzard, and there are a lot of blizzard fan boys out there (like me). but in reality because the game is that good .

• raigoraigo Member Posts: 5

Why? Because it has Different classes wherein players can choose their desire character, intense game play, graphics, audio sound, and WOW it self its realyy oh wow! like amazing :)))

• dretraphdretraph Member Posts: 20

Nice WOW is becoming that popular, still its a very nice game though

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by mmosavor

FOR   INTERESTING  !

You do realise that necroing is against the forum rules here?

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

This discussion has been closed.