Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape: 2011 Re-Review

2»

Comments

• ChackzChackz Member Posts: 76

what is this game looks so fail!

• SpezzSpezz Member Posts: 141

It's good for what it is... and actually fun to play.

If they ever decided to make a 3d  version of this game I'd play it in a heartbeat.

• ResterzResterz Member Posts: 71

Well, I decided to play it again after many years. If anyone else is willing to give it a go. Send me a pm, maybe we can work together. I know the community blows, so finding friends is going to be hard.

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Looks like they got replaced with screenshots. Awesome, thanks author!
  • Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72

I havent.

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

highly addictive game, but to grindy...

• brindleburnbrindleburn Member UncommonPosts: 65

I thought it was a good review. This game has been successful for a number of years with a population most modern MMO's would love to have.

As you say it does have a certain charm to it. Plus it has regular updates to keep it fresh. I have tried to leave RS, done the WOW, Aoc, Warhammer, SWG (post Nge) thing but keep coming back. The further you progress the better it gets.

As a previous poster said this is not so much an action  game, which for me is ok. Sometimes after a stressful day at work I enjoy logging in and thinking 'Ok think I'll do a bit of farming, then some crafting followed by hunting butterflies' etc.

Yes the community can be rough, particualrly around the GE which seems to be the epicentre of every scammer, tool  and beggar on the planet, but I have met so many great people when out in runescape questing etc that it kind of balances it out for me. I laso imagine the GE is the Mos Eisley of runescape which makes it more bearable.

Anyway I think if your score is based on content and the amazing amount of things you can do then in my eyes it definetly deserves an eight.

I do agree with others on the grinding though, it can be pretty painful when going for the higher levels.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Spezz

It's good for what it is... and actually fun to play.

If they ever decided to make a 3d  version of this game I'd play it in a heartbeat.

Runescape is 3D. It's played in a sort of Isometric view and you can't freely rotate the camera in all directions, but the entire world and all aspects of it are 3D models.

Unless you mean the gimmicky "3D" that hollywood is going nuts over (again) to distract people from the fact that they've run out of interesting new movies to make and are running low on comic book characters and old-TV shows to adapt that people would actually want to see.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• C4rnosC4rnos Member Posts: 1

concerning the graphics my friends,

At least they aren't as bad as ultima online!!! :)

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Regarding the community, RuneScape has it's fair share of idiots like most MMOs. The difference is, you're not limited to 10,000 jerks on a single server. You can log into any server you want whenever you feel, and no doubt will find people with whom you can get along. The nature of the gameplay requires that you have a lot of AFK time for many of the skills, so you end up messaging lots of people and getting to know other players very well.

I missed this aspect when I moved on to other games, where people are constantly coming and going and have no time to talk about anything, unless they want something from you.

So there are jerks in RuneScape, but you absolutely can find a few dozen out of the millions who play that you will be able to get along with. And you not only get along with them, but you actually interact with them personally. There are few other MMOs that offer that.

• angrylama15angrylama15 Member Posts: 23

Excellet review, I still play runescape on the side and still have a members account. I recently reached my long time goal of getting combat lvl 100, and find myself wishing that modern MMOs would take a few ideas from the creative folks at Jagex.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Wow, graphics have improved immensley on this game compared to when i tried it out in '02 or '03.. Back then it looked like crap.. But i was also addicted to Diablo 2 so maybe i was a little biased lol..

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Why are people defending it because its a browser based game or that it's made in Java or that its 10 years old? That doesn't make a difference. Rate it, as an MMO, by today's standards. Anything else would be doing the industry and this game a disservice. Isn't that really the point of a re-review? To see how the new content or changes or how it has aged stacks up? Well, geuss what, it doesn't stack up well. It's archaic and uninvolved game design, we've moved beyond this. Far beyond.If you like clicking on rocks and logs and crafting 10k daggers just to get to the next level, well, good for you! The rest of us will off be playing more interesting things.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Reviewed alongside new titles with exceptions made because of the graphical nature of the game - RuneScape is more varied, unique, and interesting than most games half its age. Sure it is heavy grind, but there are just so many options and avenues to explore, and lets not forget, every MMO is heavy grind, crafting in WoW will see ou forge crazy amounts of useless armour and weapons. RuneScape is archaic in some place but in others it shines, the re-review is simply based on what is available, and that surprisingly turns out to be something amazingly refreshing.

• IkegIkeg Member Posts: 60

That's fairly generous, unless your basing your review off of the fact that it's browser based and unique. As far as actual gameplay compared with other MMORPGs, it's a little lower of a score. In my personal opinion.

Everquest and Everquest 2 Veteran.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

the graphix in this game have improved alot! i logged in to check runescape a few weeks ago.

i wouldnt play it myself anymore but its still a great game in my opinion but the comunity is to childish

• RipclawRipclaw Member UncommonPosts: 190

One of the most silly and lame reviews I've seen on this site. An 8 for this game, really??

Love how one of your Pros was, "Can play for hours without touching combat." But yet a Con is, "Combat feels archaic and slightly underdeveloped." A bit confusing if you ask me, do you like combat or not? Or maybe the combat is so bad in this game and your glad your not forced to do it? Yup, sounds like an 8 to me...

Also, how the hell does a heavy grinding game get a freakin 8 out of 10? 

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Both points aren't really linked are they? The game is varied and vast so you don't have to touch combat - positive. The combat itself is rather dated, negative. I don't see the direct link between?

Most MMORPGs are heavy grind, its what tends to gain you levels. 

• ditto101ditto101 Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Fishbaitz

Why are people defending it because its a browser based game or that it's made in Java or that its 10 years old? That doesn't make a difference. Rate it, as an MMO, by today's standards. Anything else would be doing the industry and this game a disservice. Isn't that really the point of a re-review? To see how the new content or changes or how it has aged stacks up? Well, geuss what, it doesn't stack up well. It's archaic and uninvolved game design, we've moved beyond this. Far beyond.If you like clicking on rocks and logs and crafting 10k daggers just to get to the next level, well, good for you! The rest of us will off be playing more interesting things.

Well the thing is that most mmos nowadays are boring except the ones you have to pay 50 dollars for then pay a subscription for runescape is cheap and fun and has tons of skill with no restrictions to rasing them and most games nowadays as this guys said all mmos grind i got done playing lotro and i got quests kill this or collect these or i won't be able to lvl up because i don't get enough exp for killing things plus runescape also has houses, mini games and many other things to keep you busy and i at this point am playing morrowind deus ex and many other old and dated games not because of graphics but because IT IS FUN i take fun over graphics since every other game has nothing but kill kill and you guessed it kill and it is rare to see an mmo that has as much packed in it especially houses that i don't have to wait till i am lvl 90 or higher to be able to own  and as for the graphics it's like saying that minecraft and garry's mod should be compared because they are the same type of game 

• ditto101ditto101 Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by ditto101

Originally posted by Fishbaitz

Well the thing is that most mmos nowadays are boring except the ones you have to pay 50 dollars for then pay a subscription for runescape is cheap and fun and has tons of skill with no restrictions to rasing them and most games nowadays as this guys said all mmos grind i got done playing lotro and i got quests kill this or collect these or i won't be able to lvl up because i don't get enough exp for killing things plus runescape also has houses, mini games and many other things to keep you busy and i at this point am playing morrowind deus ex and many other old and dated games not because of graphics but because IT IS FUN i take fun over graphics since every other game has nothing but kill kill and you guessed it kill and it is rare to see an mmo that has as much packed in it especially houses that i don't have to wait till i am lvl 90 or higher to be able to own  and as for the graphics it's like saying that minecraft and garry's mod should be compared because they are the same type of game 

oh and also name a game that has all runescape does plus "expansions" that you only have to pay 6 dollars for and not like an extra 30 or 40

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

I've been playing Runescape on and off for about 6 years. I don't really train at all, I've gotten to CB60some without grinding, because I go on and kill everything I feel like killing. Runescape is a love it or hate it game, with combat only slightly interesting if you pay money (you get weapons with special abilities and you have to quickswitch weapons to poison, double slash, etc. an enemy, especially in PvP). It's pretty boring to train combat in Runescape, but the point of the game isn't to sit for hours on end like people would do in WoW or some other game. I went on on Runescape, baked a pie, sold that pie, and logged off, all while chatting with the clan.

Of course, there has to be some combat. F2P combat is absolute crap, but they recently released Dungeoneering to at least give a purpose to it. I swear, Dungeoneering is only to keep F2P players from quitting due to repetitive combat (F2P players generate income through advertisements, which is on a pay-per-person basis).

• severd-xseverd-x Member Posts: 49

Was an awesome way to burn the hours after grade school waiting at the library after shcool with my buddy matthew.  It's a saving grace in situations like that, all you who are overly critical.  Ofcourse if you can pay for it, anyone would go for a bigger title.  But it's damn good for being free and it has some really good aspects as the reviewer pointed out.  Besides this is totally my opinion, but the only reason I play WOW is because it sucks the least out of most mmorpgs.  But it still suck, I'm gonna switch to beta testing.  We've all been robed of a genuine mmo for some good time, atleast Runescape is genuine.