Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maplestory Review

OoJesusoOOoJesusoO Member Posts: 11

Hello everybody! This is my first review and I want you guys to give me your honest opinion of it. PLEASE give me any advice on how I can improve my reviews and please send me requests for games you would like me to review. AGAIN this is my first time reviewing ANYTHING so please bear with me since I am not a professional. Thank You VERY much!

And so…LET’S GET STARTED!

MapleStory

Maplestory is a free to play, 2D MMORPG developed by Wizet and published by Nexon. It is incredibly popular and has had a total of over 92 million users as of 2009. Now many of you are probably thinking “Wow are you serious!?” with you jaw dropped. Want to know something even crazier? That was in 2009 so think about the amount of players there are today! Now I too was one of those players. In fact Maplestory was the first mmorpg I ever played and after hearing about the new Big Bang update nexon had, I decided to check the game out again and to give you guys my honest opinion of it.

GAMEPLAY

Alright so one major thing I realized that was different is the amount of classes there were. Before when I played, all there was were warriors, magicians, bowmen, thieves, and pirates. Now there are the Cygnus knights, dual blade, Aran, Evan, and the newest ones, due to the Big Bang Update, Wild Hunter, Battle Mage, and Mechanic. Now overall you don’t see that many classes in every MMORPG. Also they may be making even more. I was looking on you tube and I came across this video:YouTube - [Korean] MapleStory Alchemist Jewelist Creator (sorry about it being Korean…)

So overall this could be a good and bad thing. Good because with all these classes, you won’t get bored easily with all the different and unique skills. Bad because the amount of classes may confuse new players on which class to pick but then again most will probably go “ OH MY GOD! So many classes I’m in heaven!” Now with the actual gameplay. Since it is a 2D sides roller platform game you will be using your keyboard to navigate and attack instead of using your mouse like most MMORPG’s. In my opinion I find this type of gameplay. This gameplay gives the game an arcade-type feel and makes the game very enjoyable and simplistic and like arcade games there is a lot and I mean A LOT of button mashing which is one of my pet peeves of this game. There are a lot of quests in Maplestory also (over 600) so you always have something to do. However most of these quests are kill this many of these monsters or collect this and deliver that so basically its very basic quests like you see in every MMORPG. The quests that are really unique are the PQs (party quest). These are quests in which you take you and your party to a dungeon where you solve puzzles, collect items, and defeat the boss at the end. Another thing about the game is the stats. Each time you level up you have the choice to raise your STR, DEX, INT, and/or LUK, stats. One thing that you must be crucial about this is that it is very easy to mess up your stats. I highly suggest reading a guide for your class when raising your stats so you don’t screw up. Maplestory’s game shop or “cash shop” has plenty of items for your character. There of plenty of upgrades and accessories to upgrade or customize your character to make it suit your exact taste. One thing that I dislike about the shop is that items such as clothing only lasts for 90 days after you buy it so that can be very troublesome.

Now a major problem for some players is the amount of “grinding” there is in Maplestory. This is very true and I have experienced it myself. Sometimes it takes hours, days, even weeks before you see those amazing words above your character (“LEVEL UP”) but if you can go through with it the gameplay is pretty decent and may become addicting.

GAMPLAY: 80%

GRAPHICS

Well obviously not much can be said about the graphics since it is 2D but it is very bright and colorful which is what you really want to see in a 2D cartoon/anime style game.

GRAPHICS: 80%

STORY

Well for some odd reason there basically was no story before the black mage (Maplestory’s main antagonist) has been heard of and most of the stories were in the PQs. Many believed that “You make your own story “but I didn’t really believe that. However I came across this and it may show you that Maplestory has somewhat of a decent story and due to the black mage there will be even more background for this game.

STORY: 78%

COMMUNITY

Maplestory is said to be notorious for its rude players. From what I’ve seen that is false. Sure, once in a while you’ll see a jerk but which MMORPG doesn’t have a few ignorant players. Most players in Maplestory are helpful and kind if you are the same. Not only that but as I said before the player base is HUGE! So come and join the party!

COMMUNITY: 91%

SOUND

The music in Maplestory is relaxing. It kind of makes slaughtering cute slimes and huge mushrooms even more enjoyable. However it is kind of like a broken record since you hear it over and over but if you don’t mind, the music is very good.

SOUND: 85%

PROS

- Plenty of Classes

- Huge community

- Simplistic gameplay that anyone can understand and enjoy

- Good music

- A lot of quests

Cons

-Grinding

-easy to screw up stats

- Button masher

- Some quests are boring and are not worth the rewards

OVERALL

Maplestory is very simple and fun. Both casual and hardcore gamers can enjoy this game and the huge community, amount of classes, and different skills also add more goodies to this game. Some may not like the game due to the grind and 2D-ness but don’t knock it till you try it maple story is definitely a MMORPG Gem!

FINAL SCORE: 82%= B-

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS WAS MY FIRST REVIEW! 

Edit/Delete Message

Comments

• WhiteSwanWhiteSwan Member Posts: 14

his game is very intersesting!!

it is a fun game with thousands of cool items and many of guests and classes too!

its a free game to download and its a online game so that just another reason to play it!!

may of monsters to slay and many also mini game to enjoy and other stuff to do that u have to play to find out.

u get many of options to custamize your own charater and items to buy with nexon cash (cost money but very cheap and other methods of get with out money) and mesos witch is currency in this game.

maple story is easy to get used to and learn to play!

i learned to play in about 15 minutes and from then on been playin it for about 2 years its great and never got old at all.

try the game you got nothin to lose its a free game that was many updates and you'll have hours of fun with it for no cost!!

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I agree with you in a lot of this stuff, but the community is 25% jerk or whiny 12 year old. It's ridiculous how many people I meet; I'd honestly say 1 in every 4 people aren't people you'd like to meet. But since the Big Bang update, the gameplay quality, skill/class balance, and grind reduction has gone up, and this made me consider returning if some friends are willing to tag along, so as to avoid the bad community.
    Also, some guilds are mature; in fact, many are, but some are just "for the name" and there are still a lot of jerks in those.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

When you do a review you should always try to compare it to a similar game or one that many people have played.  This helps a reader to have a sort of baseline to gauge your review against.  It would also make your ratings meaningful, since nobody will understand why you rated a 2d side scrolling game an 8.  Your review also lacks technical details and game experiences, and doesn't really give the sense that you actually played the game.  Maybe starting off with a statement saying what you have achieved in the game, and sharing a few experiences and your thoughts about the experience would help you build up some credibility with your readers.  

i.e. I have a 145 nightlord and I love doing henesy party quest (HPQ).   It can be done with any level of character, and finding the seeds from the flowers and saving the bunny from the monsters that attack in waves so it can make rice cakes is exhilarating........

Don't take my statements as being critical of your review, but more as ideas to improving your critical thinking.   A thorough review should strive to be much more than an opinion on paper.  

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

Originally posted by thinktank001

When you do a review you should always try to compare it to a similar game or one that many people have played.  This helps a reader to have a sort of baseline to gauge your review against.  It would also make your ratings meaningful, since nobody will understand why you rated a 2d side scrolling game an 8.  Your review also lacks technical details and game experiences, and doesn't really give the sense that you actually played the game.  Maybe starting off with a statement saying what you have achieved in the game, and sharing a few experiences and your thoughts about the experience would help you build up some credibility with your readers.  

i.e. I have a 145 nightlord and I love doing henesy party quest (HPQ).   It can be done with any level of character, and finding the seeds from the flowers and saving the bunny from the monsters that attack in waves so it can make rice cakes is exhilarating........

Don't take my statements as being critical of your review, but more as ideas to improving your critical thinking.   A thorough review should strive to be much more than an opinion on paper.  

I sort of agree here.

I've played MapleStory for 3 years, and I think a lot of this stuff isn't justified. Especially with the Big Bang update. But MapleStory does have its share of problems, and I think he addresses many of them. Except community; I've found it's really hard to find a mature guild and mature players to play with, and I only had a rich character on Scania, so the lack of free server transfer helped none at all.