Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Getting to Know the Gallente

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com EVE Online expert Andrew Wallace writes this look at the Gallente race in CCP's space-based MMO.

A union of peoples from all over New Eden, the Gallente Federation is a freedom loving democracy. Once joined with the militaristic Caldari State, a clash of ideologies led to a separation of the two groups and a fierce war that caused scars and animosity that still linger to this day. Champions of freedom, or interfering do-gooders, depending on your perspective, the Gallente are not afraid to assist other nations when their liberty is threatened, and it is rumoured that they secretly organised arms and supplies for the Minmatar rebels in their bid to escape from the Amarr Empire.

EVE Online Screenshot

Read Getting to Know the Gallente

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• SargothSargoth Member Posts: 558

That was a good read.  I would be interested in reading your take on the Minmatar.  Only a few gramatical errors keep this article from being professional. 

When a piscating wizard floods every thread I can understand why people leave.

• gedecegedece Member Posts: 24

Indeed, as Gallente myself I can see truth behind those words.

• MarineBoyMarineBoy Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by gedece

Indeed, as Gallente myself I can see truth behind those words.

Geez, you sound almost like Yoda. :o))

May the Force be with you!

Another Gallente.

• gedecegedece Member Posts: 24

Gallente as I am, Truth behind words I see.

• javacjavac Member Posts: 1,175

while blasters may be the traditional gallente thing, don't forget that hybrid turrets also support railguns, and rails are often a better choice than blasters in many situations.

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651

looks like, from my limited experience, that railguns are for standing off  a ways and attacking, while Blasters are for toe to toe, in their face attacks.  I just started a Gallente character and was looking at the difference in optimal range between Railguns and Blasters - there seems to be quite a difference.

My problem right now is that PvP'rs can use your drones against you, if they loot your wrecks while your drone is still out it tends to attack them on it's own and then Concord reduces you to little chunks of metal and flesh floating in the void.  I had a 5 year player follow my new character around trying to do that or get me to attack when they locked on me in hi-sec space.  Luckily my character is new, not me.  I still like minmater ships better, but I am growing to love my Gallente toon.  I also have a Caldari character but he mines and is training for a hulk so I am not overly familiar with Caldari ships.

• APRAuroreAPRAurore Member Posts: 330

I love how decadent the Gallente are. My Minmatar character is a Gallente ship pilot and hangs around the Gallente areas. She approvies whole heartedly with the Gallente opposing the Amarr and freeing her people.

One thing I've always wondered about is why is the name said 'Gallentay' rather than 'Gallent' since they were originally French? Gallentay sounds kinda Spanish.

Back in EvE. Started with BatMUD. Main MMOs have been EvE and DAoC.

• ShadowsladyShadowslady Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by elderotter

looks like, from my limited experience, that railguns are for standing off  a ways and attacking, while Blasters are for toe to toe, in their face attacks.  I just started a Gallente character and was looking at the difference in optimal range between Railguns and Blasters - there seems to be quite a difference.
      My problem right now is that PvP'rs can use your drones against you, if they loot your wrecks while your drone is still out it tends to attack them on it's own and then Concord reduces you to little chunks of metal and flesh floating in the void.  I had a 5 year player follow my new character around trying to do that or get me to attack when they locked on me in hi-sec space.  Luckily my character is new, not me.  I still like minmater ships better, but I am growing to love my Gallente toon.  I also have a Caldari character but he mines and is training for a hulk so I am not overly familiar with Caldari ships.

LOL. Just wow. I love EVE.

Shadowlord Sage
    CmdrAkbar

Napa Valley, UO, 1997.

• labg11labg11 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Sargoth

That was a good read.  I would be interested in reading your take on the Minmatar.  Only a few gramatical errors keep this article from being professional. 

Nice article!!

As for the quotes up there, who ask you to play the roll of an english teacher, just enjoy the article.

For crying out loud, everyone is a freaking critic nowadays.

Cheers to all!

Caldari rules BTW  ^.^

• VandenbergVandenberg EVE Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 21

Cheers for the comments, any criticism you guys have to offer is appreciated.

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

oh god how i love eve and my galante ships.

Originally posted by Shadowslady

rail guns are usefull for mission running and used priamarily for sniper fits in pvp, other than this your gal ships should sport blaster set ups and drones.

Originally posted by Adamai

Originally posted by Shadowslady

rail guns are usefull for mission running and used priamarily for sniper fits in pvp, other than this your gal ships should sport blaster set ups and drones.

oh yea you can set your drones to passive mode, this stops them from auto attacking, might wanna look into that ;)

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

Railguns are useful not only for that Adamai.

Keep on rockin'!image