Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it wrong of me to enjoy FFXIV?

shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114

I hear so many nay-sayers complaining and whining about this game and I admit yes it has so many problems, but is it so wrong that some people enjoy it? Is it THAT bad that it doesn't warrent a community?  I play with a 360 controller, and I have a blast, it feels like a console game that way (with the way the interface works) and as such I don't think its that bad of a game, I enjoy doing levequests and I enjoy meeting new people, sure it has so many problems such as navigation and grinding but with that aside, I do enjoy the game. 

I think its pretty to look at, I enjoy the combat and when Im using a controller, yes believe it or not, I enjoy the interface. Is it so wrong that some people try to enjoy this game? So many people tell us to stop playing, its pointless, they are changing it so just stop playing now and you won't waste all your time. So what? 

As far as I'm concerned, its free, its a free mmorpg that no one is doing any harm in playing and enjoying, I think its a decent game and yes I am looking forward to the improvements. 

So I ask one more time, is it so wrong that people are still playin this game? I don't think so. 

Comments

• PyrettaBlazePyrettaBlaze Member Posts: 34

No it's not wrong to enjoy it. I'm glad you are doing so. Who are these people that tell you to stop playing?

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Yes it's wrong to support a broken game declared by its own developers to be broken and unfinished and forced to give free months to try to regain confidence of an infuriated and misled community.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

It's not wrong

If you like the grind it's ok.

The main critic against FFIV is that it shouldn'yt be so grindy, since there are not many people who like that (and even less people who like that awful interface)

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

It's funny that a game like ffxiv is considered "Grindy" these days. I actually thought the opposite when I first started playing. I got to level 20 in no time with a few other jobs to 10. Not like FFXI where it probably took m 3 weeks to get my first job to 20 with a sub leveled to 10.

But really I didn't like the interface and I felt like they took the quest grinding thing from other games and just put a twist to it with the guildleve system. For me once they start adding some more NMs and "Real" questlines I'll probably jump back into. Oh and I hated the combat, that was actually the biggest issue for me out of everything. I for one enjoy auto attack and was never one to complain about it. I'd rather have auto attack then have to constantly spam 1 1 1 1 2 3 1 1 1.....

I will say this though FFXIV has the best crafting and gathering system I have ever seen in a game(there might be others but I never played them) I also don't like the lack of and AH but the crafting and gathering system is something other games should try to emulate if anything from this game.

If you are enjoying the game though, there is nothing wrong with that. I have high hopes for SE to fix this so I can start playing it again. For years I played ffxi when tons of people bashed it and thought I was and idiot but it's been one of my favorite games of all time. So just cause others don't like it and point out major flaws keep on enjoying yourself and hopefully in the next few months I can join you.

• Bloodrite2Bloodrite2 Member Posts: 17

It's never wrong for you to enjoy playing a game.

As long as your having fun, you shouldn't care what others say.

We all have different tastes.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Yes it is wrog fro you to be enjoying this game. This is a shame to MMO genere therefore should be DELETED.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by k11keeper

It's funny that a game like ffxiv is considered "Grindy" these days. I actually thought the opposite when I first started playing. I got to level 20 in no time with a few other jobs to 10. Not like FFXI where it probably took m 3 weeks to get my first job to 20 with a sub leveled to 10.

I actually meant negative grind (the one that you can't avoid to notice)

All MMOs are grindy, it's part of their DNA

What makes a good MMORPG stands out from others is how they mask the grind

FFXIV doesn't do it too well.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Abolutely!  You must only play MMO's that I approve of and also play, because everyone must be exactly like me! image

All kidding aside, of course not, we all play what we enjoy, and no one can tell you that what you like is "wrong".

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Did I miss the memo for when the definition of "grindy" changed? I thought it was when it took a long freaking time to level your character, killing tons of the same mobs over and over. Like FFXI used to be very grindy pre ToAU, Lineage 2 is insanely grindy. Omg Guildwars isn't grindy at all it took me 3 days to max level.

So now grindy is blanket term used to describe leveling mechanics you don't find entertaining? Well then every game I've played is grindy excep ffxi, lineage 2, SWG, and DAoC. Wait that doesn't make sence at all.

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Different Strokes for Different Folks . You shouldnt always read what people are saying abut MMORPG's. Yeah 14 was a failed project , but there fixing it.  Would i go back to 11 cause of it ? Hell no.  Will i play this game? Maybe and only on the PS3 if it ever comes out. I wouldnt worry people are going to have there opionons. I know they still bash lotro cause of its f2p form but this game is fun as hell. 

Edgar F Greenwood

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

No of course it's not wrong. I log in here and there and I'm strongly considering subbing when they start charging.

There is a sort of an "otherness" to the game that I really like.

there are issues with the game, sure, but what is there that's working is enjoyable to me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by huskerman34

Different Strokes for Different Folks . You shouldnt always read what people are saying abut MMORPG's. Yeah 14 was a failed project , but there fixing it.  Would i go back to 11 cause of it ? Hell no.  Will i play this game? Maybe and only on the PS3 if it ever comes out. I wouldnt worry people are going to have there opionons. I know they still bash lotro cause of its f2p form but this game is fun as hell. 

This!

Nobody can tell you if it's right or wrong to enjoy a game if you enjoy it then enjoy it if you don't put it down. 

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by k11keeper

Did I miss the memo for when the definition of "grindy" changed? I thought it was when it took a long freaking time to level your character, killing tons of the same mobs over and over. Like FFXI used to be very grindy pre ToAU, Lineage 2 is insanely grindy. Omg Guildwars isn't grindy at all it took me 3 days to max level.

So now grindy is blanket term used to describe leveling mechanics you don't find entertaining? Well then every game I've played is grindy excep ffxi, lineage 2, SWG, and DAoC. Wait that doesn't make sence at all.

I always defined grind like that. I suppose a few other people do too. It has nothing to do with how much time it takes, it's all about what you're offered to do during that time. Case in point, many people are now getting tired of the "quest grind". The problem isn't how many quests you're supposed to do, but that you're doing the same thing over and over, quickly becoming boring and meaningless.

XIV is considered grindy by a lot of people because what you're doing in it has no context. You're not fighting for anything, you're just .. .fighting. The actual time isn't the problem, it's rather modest in that regard.

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

To answer your question, yes. It is wrong to "enjoy" FFXIV. It encourages Squeenix to make more horrible games.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

As it stands, it takes a very special MMO player to enjoy FF14.  Its fairly sandboxy in its current state.  The fact that its currently free to play other than the cost of the client, its very easy to recommend to players who enjoyed UO, SWG, Fallen Earth, Ryzom and Horizons.

if you're looking for FFXI-2 - stay away, far away, at least for now.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I really don't think you can characterize XIV as a sandbox MMO, there are no mechanics present that allow you to affect the gameworld. It's really build on the established themepark MMO paradigms, except that they've opened the park 6 months before they started building the actual rides :)

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

Originally posted by Sovrath

No of course it's not wrong. I log in here and there and I'm strongly considering subbing when they start charging.

There is a sort of an "otherness" to the game that I really like.

there are issues with the game, sure, but what is there that's working is enjoyable to me.

Im in the same boat, mind you  im nowhere near endgame if there is any but so far im enjoying it.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by MyPreciousss

Yes it's wrong to support a broken game declared by its own developers to be broken and unfinished and forced to give free months to try to regain confidence of an infuriated and misled community.

lol?

If there's sarcasm here, my monitor doesn't support it.

You bought the game and your time playing is free, if you're enjoying it great. The game has serious issues and the devs have stepped up and recognized that (SE never really stepped up and spoke to players with 11, outside of patch notes and STFUpdates).

Maybe, as they improve things, you'll come back and tell us what they've improved. Someone has to =).

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Nope not wrong. I just wish you the best as this game isn't well favored and you may end up in the same boat as the Vanguard die-hards.

Don't let the haters get you down. There are just a lot of folks here who don't have a game that hooks them and they get jealous when other find their niche.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by skeaser

There are just a lot of folks here who don't have a game that hooks them and they get jealous when other find their niche.

^, I'm not a hater on 14 but I'm quoting this because I miss that rush. Loving logging into FFXI, or WoW (my brother invited me and it was my first of that type. I'd been lucky that games before looked and felt completely different.).

I remember camping rare/ex o.kotes with a friend I'd made through the game for 2 days (40 solid hours, sleeping in shifts). We got all but two claims. I was level 40 and agroing everything, lol.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by MyPreciousss

I wouldn't say it's wrong, if you enjoy yourself then enjoy it while you can. Who gives a crap about what haters like this guy say =]

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

• ctshamectshame Member Posts: 104

Do not let anyone tell you what is right or wrong, that is for you to decide; and i say, if your enjoying it then no its not wrong of you to enjoy it! Just play it and be happy and screw everyone else. You can not make everyone happy so make yourself happy! :D

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

Well, first of all I would guess that your question is rhetorical and you therfor don't really expect a controversial answer. Your post is not neutral at all, you want others to confirm your point of view. BUT From my point of view you could have a lot more fun playing video games, because there are so many games that are by far better. So if we compare the fun you are having in FF14 with the amount of fun you could have playing a good game, then yes it is wrong. 

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Originally posted by shenfrey

I hear so many nay-sayers complaining and whining about this game and I admit yes it has so many problems, but is it so wrong that some people enjoy it? Is it THAT bad that it doesn't warrent a community?  I play with a 360 controller, and I have a blast, it feels like a console game that way (with the way the interface works) and as such I don't think its that bad of a game, I enjoy doing levequests and I enjoy meeting new people, sure it has so many problems such as navigation and grinding but with that aside, I do enjoy the game. 

I think its pretty to look at, I enjoy the combat and when Im using a controller, yes believe it or not, I enjoy the interface. Is it so wrong that some people try to enjoy this game? So many people tell us to stop playing, its pointless, they are changing it so just stop playing now and you won't waste all your time. So what? 

As far as I'm concerned, its free, its a free mmorpg that no one is doing any harm in playing and enjoying, I think its a decent game and yes I am looking forward to the improvements. 

So I ask one more time, is it so wrong that people are still playin this game? I don't think so. 

Obviously not. I'm sorry but I'm about to pick up a patronizing tone... I get you're trying to make a point, but why would you even bother to ask this question? Obviously you're allowed to like whatever you want, if you like to engage in romantic activities with a bridge, who can tell you that it's wrong for you to be an objectisexual? No one, even if they don't agree with it, it's up to you if you think it's right or wrong...in the end. So why ask such a pointless question that there's an obvious answer to? 

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Yes