Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please, no more quests.. I'm begging, I REALLY am begging.. please no.more.quests. : (

shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114

I need an MMO that is fun to play, has nice graphics and you can level up through other means other then questing. And I don't mean slowely by other meansa, I mean you can level just as fast. 

Rift, WoW 2 games where you can level through pvp and pve but obviously one way is 10x more quicker. I don't want that, I need some air, I need some space, I can't just do quest after quest after quest after quest after quest afer quest after quest after quest after quest after quest after quest afer quest (am I annoying you yet?) THIS IS HOW I FEEL

I thought I loved MMOS but these quests are just driving me crazy, kill x of y, Collect x of y, scan x of y. Arghhh. Is there NOT a single MMO out there that is just as fun to play as some of the more popular games out there like WoW, Rift and Lotro, but can be leveled through other means?

Please help me out guys, thanks! 

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Dream on.

Quests attract casual solo players which means selling a high number of copies.

What devs don't understand is that also mean short subscription rate.

Since quests are seen as the main source of content, once the content runs out, player will move on to another MMO with fresh content (quests)

The "old school" approach is too risky, everyone is waiting for a big developer to produce the first AAA "old school" MMO of the new era to see how it goes

Wouldn't be ironic if it was Blizzard the one to do it, monopolizing the market for another 10 years?

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

You are aware that you don't have to do them...right?

Sounds like you should just stop playing mmo's for a year or so...maybe forever.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by ste2000

Dream on.

Since quests are seen as the main source of content, once the content runs out, player will move on to another MMO with fresh content (quests)

The "old school" approach is too risky, everyone is waiting for a big developer to produce the first AAA "old school" MMO of the new era to see how it goes

Wouldn't be ironic if it was Blizzard the one to do it, monopolizing the market for another 10 years?

I'm a casual solo player, and yet I'm also fed up with the current trend of questing system. Go figure, huh?

Back to the drawing board :).

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218

I know just how you feel. Bring back the good old days when you could play an online rpg without having to do banal quests. Thinking back I don't remember doing quests in Asheron Call. There is was just all about the killing, over and over and over and over again ;)

Basically any game, these days, that has levels gained via experience has to have some type of grind. Maybe its quests or by killing stuff, but however it works that fact remains that grind exists. So maybe you should be looking for a totally different type of game rather than a mmorpg.

Saying that and yep I did read what was written. How about giving DDO a try. Sure, the game is totally quest driven but at least the quests are different to the 'kill so many x' or 'take pointless items from x to y'. As it f2p you may as well give it a try and you could even find that you enjoy doing quests (when the game developer makes them with some thought).

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Don't do the quests and grind only...problem solved?

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Dream on.

I'm a casual solo player, and yet I'm also fed up with the current trend of questing system. Go figure, huh?

To add to your point, I have to say that "old school" MMOs weren't solo unfriendly at all, not as friendly as the new ones maybe.

But in games like UO and SWG (pre NGE) you could totally have a solo playstyle and still have fun even without quests.

EQ, AC and DAoC were more group centered, but that shows you that the "old school" approach is quite viable and it could appeal to every taste

Problem is to find a big developer who is bold enough to go "retro" instead of trying to innovate and failing at it each single time..

Originally posted by Gdemami

Don't do the quests and grind only...problem solved?

That would make a Final Fantasy XIV.................that's not what "old school" MMOs stand for

• shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Dream on.

To add to your point, I have to say that "old school" MMOs weren't solo unfriendly at all, not as friendly as the new ones maybe.

But in games like UO and SWG (pre NGE) you could totally have a solo playstyle and still have fun even without quests.

EQ, AC and DAoC were more group centered, but that shows you that the "old school" approach is quite viable and it could appeal to every taste

Problem is to find a big developer who is bold enough to go "retro" instead of trying to copy other popular mmos and failing at it each single time..

Fixed : ) 

that's not what "old school" MMOs stand for

And how is that relevant(regardless how meaningless the statement is)...?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Post thread on forums and collect ten useful replies.

that's not what "old school" MMOs stand for

And how is that relevant(regardless how meaningless the statement is)...?

I thought you meant that developers should just ditch the quests and make it a huge grind (Like FFXIV)

Now that I get your point I will reply accordingly.

Avoiding making quests in a quest centered MMO, is like taking out the strawberries from a strawberry cake..........what's the point.

The solution is that developers should give us more variety and produce not only quest centered MMOs (WoW clones) but also other different other types of games, like "old school" MMOs but also new concepts as well.

What happened since WoW came out is that the MMO industry froze to year 2004.

It is about time the MMO industry tries something really new or something really old, or both things

Avoiding making quests in a quest centered MMO, is like taking out the strawberries from a strawberry cake..........what's the point.

The point is: Don't do what you do not like.

While it is true that Quest focused game will 'lack content' for non-questers but due the nature of desire to grind mobs only - as I understand OP, it won't bad that bad.

Grinding mobs or grinding quests is pretty much the same just Quests represents some effort to make the activity less mechanical, adding some aim.

What happened since WoW came out is that the MMO industry froze to year 2004.

No, it is you and people with alike thinking that froze in 2003 and have difficulties to accept that the game industry has changed an there is no need for 'old' and the future of MMOs is in simplified game play.

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Look forwards to Guild Wars 2, there is no questes in that, i can promise 99%!

The point is: Don't do what you do not like.

While it is true that Quest focused game will 'lack content' for non-questers but due the nature of desire to grind mobs only - as I understand OP, it won't bad that bad.

Grinding mobs or grinding quests is pretty much the same just Quests represents some effort to make the activity less mechanical, adding some aim.

I got your point already.

My point though is that if there were different kind of MMOs on the market, players wouldn't have to buy the quest centered ones and skip the main course...........which is silly.

Exactly like buying a strawberry cake because that's the only kind of cake for sale, and taking out the strawberries because you actually don't like the strawberries.

My point though is that if there were different kind of MMOs on the market, players wouldn't have to buy the quest centered ones and skip the main course...........which is silly.

Silly would be to make a game for the few that are stuck in 2003.

Silly would be to make a game for the few that are stuck in 2003.

And why is that?

It doesn't look like anything that came out after WoW has been successful, hasn't it?

Pre WoW MMOs could count on a bigger subscription base than all recent MMOs.

And if you say that before WoW there were just and handfull of MMOs therefore people would stay subscribed for longer because there was less choice, I can reply that now the MMO community is at least 15 times bigger than 7 years ago, so there is no excuse for modern MMOs to retain a decent amount of players.

The problem is that modern MMOs, unlike the "old school" ones, are solo focused and questing is the main source of content, once the content dries up (1-2 months), people move on

In old school MMOs the community/players were the main feature, the game was a mere tool that allowed people to play together, hence people played longer even if the content was much less than modern MMOs, because they felt part of the game world and its community.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

In old school MMOs the community/players were the main feature, the game was a mere tool that allowed people to play together, hence people played longer even if the content was much less than modern MMOs, because they felt part of the game world and its community.

I wonder if a game made like that could break even these days never mind be profitable. I think that mentality of gaming and game design died with the birth of the WoW generation.

• NemorsaNemorsa Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 131

Originally posted by liva98989

Look forwards to Guild Wars 2, there is no questes in that, i can promise 99%!

Guild Wars 2 is questless in that they mask their quest very well, with dynamic events. It could just be what you're looking for. Also, you can level with only PvP just as quickly, and you get loot and cash.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Off the top of my head.

MMO's without questing are:

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Planetside

World War 2 Online also known as Battleground Europe

Second Life

Planet Calypso

Warhammer online you can level through just PvP can't you?

WoW you can level in BG's

Also you can grind in all games no one forces you to quest.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by shenfrey

I need an MMO that is fun to play, has nice graphics and you can level up through other means other then questing. And I don't mean slowely by other meansa, I mean you can level just as fast. 

Rift, WoW 2 games where you can level through pvp and pve but obviously one way is 10x more quicker. I don't want that, I need some air, I need some space, I can't just do quest after quest after quest after quest after quest afer quest after quest after quest after quest after quest after quest afer quest (am I annoying you yet?) THIS IS HOW I FEEL

I thought I loved MMOS but these quests are just driving me crazy, kill x of y, Collect x of y, scan x of y. Arghhh. Is there NOT a single MMO out there that is just as fun to play as some of the more popular games out there like WoW, Rift and Lotro, but can be leveled through other means?

Please help me out guys, thanks! 

I've found that you can level up in other ways in several ways without being tied to quests with the exception of some class things.

I don't take every quest in LOTRO. A good part of 55 to 60 was just exploring moria and the outside of moria toward Lothlorien.

I have yet to finish all the quests in Mirkwood as I would usually take a quest or tow and just make my way through the forest.

And I enjoy it. Therefore I'm not feeling any need to "rush" to any level cap. Though I've been at lvl cap in lotro for quite some time now but you get the point.

In rift I take some quests here and there but mostly level through rifts and invasions. I'm going to start getting into the warfornts this weekend.

instead of focusing on leveling speed just do things in these games you enjoy. If it takes a bit longer who cares?

I was thinking about that this weekend when I was playing Oblvion.

I killed quite a few mobs but I was never "grinding them" to lvl my skills. I was just exploring or on "1 quest" (player made mod) amd just making my way through and leveling as I went along.

That's kind of how I play these games. I will take 1 or two quests and just head out. Eventually I'll finish the quest.

players need to start taking at least "some" responsibility for their play time. If you don't like it don't do it. Or do the bare minimum if the game requires some advancement quests.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

It doesn't look like anything that came out after WoW has been successful, hasn't it?

Pre WoW MMOs could count on a bigger subscription base than all recent MMOs.

And if you say that before WoW there were just and handfull of MMOs therefore people would stay subscribed for longer because there was less choice, I can reply that now the MMO community is at least 15 times bigger than 7 years ago, so there is no excuse for modern MMOs to retain a decent amount of players.

{mod edit}

You should tone down your posts dude.

Back on the subject.

7 years ago the MMO industry was very niche, then WoW came along and all of a sudden the MMOs became mainstream.

Also unlike 7 years ago most players have now Broadband, and not 56k connection which made MMO quite expansive to play, hence the potential MMO player base increased exponentially.

All the games you mention do not have more than 100K subs (except for Aion which is a relative success in Asia)

Older MMOs easily had more subs than that...........and with a market 15 times smaller than it is today.

In any case how well a revised version of an old school MMO would do today is difficult to know because no developer dare to risk it

Going for another WoW clone is way more safe

PS: And since you wanted to know, the majority of players of my "15 times bigger" claims are playing WoW...........in case you missed this small insignificant detail.

Just to prove that if a game is good it can retain a good number of subscribers, regardless how many thousand MMOs there are on the market.

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

What the OP is looking for is a framework. But without having a goal, the framework is useless. 

The vast majority of players these days are so brainwashed into the hand-holding railed type of MMO that they feel utterly lost if you set them loose in an open world with no quests, no hubs, nothing to guide them etc.

I know because I've been there. When I first experienced a sandbox environment, I just stared at the screen for a good two minutes before I looked around. It was only after I understood that I need to set a goal that I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I said... 'I want to be the most feared marksman in the kingdom'. That simple statement made it a whole lot easier to enjoy the game. 

/divagation/

Companies these days are all bout quick turn-over, so they go for what's proved to work. Taking a gamble in the current economical situation is out of the question. I know this one because I work for a gambling company, who takes no risks when it comes to putting out a new product.

/rant/

What makes it really worse is the fact that people with very good ideas lack the technical know-how of developing the concept with available free tools (which in most cases are crap).

What would really work is a cross-skilled collocated 'team' (very loosely using this term) of dedicated developers who will create a game based on user feedback, in their spare time. If Anonymous can pull off co-ordinating a global action, why can't passionate gamers do the same?

/idea/

I can think of quite a few ways of keeping track of work & tasks & actions & priorities using already freely available web tools. It's not rocket science, really.

Anyone want to make this happen, PM me. It will be a project by the gamers for the gamers. I just need to know I'm not doing a short-term spike of commitment with no follow-up. It would not be the first time and I`m done being dissapointed by lack fo commintment.

/close-tags-here/

Edited because my html tags got ripped...

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Beermangler

What the OP is looking for is a framework. But without having a goal, the framework is useless. 

The vast majority of players these days are so brainwashed into the hand-holding railed type of MMO that they feel utterly lost if you set them loose in an open world with no quests, no hubs, nothing to guide them etc.

I don't think they are brainwashed at all.

I think it's what they find fun or are used to.

I mean, I saw a player in LOTRO in the starter areas asking for help because they didn't know where they were going and not being sent to another quest hub.

given that if you miss a quest in lotro you can miss being led to a hub this makes sense. But the player made a statement that they were lost.

My guess is that they are used to these games unfolding in a certain way. And maybe they just enjoy seeing the world and seeing it while be led one area to another.

But it's not a brainswashing thing. More likely their first game was WoW.

I will say that I can easily see why a person would hate a sandbox game. Limited time, you just want to have some fun and you log in and "what?"

They are different types of games that appeal to different types of people. You don't go to disney world when you want a completely free open "anything can happen" experience.

you don't go hiking into a national park if you are looking for a preset, crafted, fun experience.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

OP, if you want that type of game there are plenty of pre 2004 games that cater to you.  I personally would rather quest, quest, quest as opposed to just kill, kill, kill the same mob over and over and over and.....you see there really is no difference except that quests give you neat little rewards of xp, gear and money in one stop.  They also, if written well have great lore in them and send you to places in a zone you might never have gone to.

Now I can understand, hating doing the same TYPE of quests over and over and over, as that is just as bad as grinding mobs all day, so lets not ask for NO quests, let's ask for IMPROVED quests.  I think we may be in luck with SWTOR and GW2, we'll just have to wait and see.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Beermangler

I don't think they are brainwashed at all.

I think it's what they find fun or are used to.

I mean, I saw a player in LOTRO in the starter areas asking for help because they didn't know where they were going and not being sent to another quest hub.

given that if you miss a quest in lotro you can miss being led to a hub this makes sense. But the player made a statement that they were lost.

My guess is that they are used to these games unfolding in a certain way. And maybe they just enjoy seeing the world and seeing it while be led one area to another.

But it's not a brainswashing thing. More likely their first game was WoW.

I will say that I can easily see why a person would hate a sandbox game. Limited time, you just want to have some fun and you log in and "what?"

They are different types of games that appeal to different types of people. You don't go to disney world when you want a completely free open "anything can happen" experience.

you don't go hiking into a national park if you are looking for a preset, crafted, fun experience.

You nailed it.

The fact that the overall population of the mmo increased significantly with the release of WoW should be an indication that the WoW model was a welcome addition. The fact that WoW successfully maintained millions of subscriptions for years, shows that a significant portion of the overall population of the genre still found that type of gameplay fun for years.

Themepark games allow for a more instant fun type of gameplay. That type of gaming is especially condusive to those who have their free time broken up into bits and pieces. Sandbox games have traditionally required a more concentrated effort, and often have required extended periods of playtime before you can get to the fun.

Developers are going to design games that have a better chance at being popular, which typically means themepark games. Mostly because there is a larger potential audience out there for that type of game.