Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Come June: This MMORPG Will Shock You All.

This quiet MMORPG is ready to explode at E3 and what it will reveal will make everyone wonder why MMORPGs can not be like this one. Using more than 7 years of technological advancement in game development tools and ideas flowing from a center mass of a powerful questing tool, at E3 they will deliver. It will make the GW2 opening at Gamescom look like a patch update to an existing MMORPG. They are promising everything and they have nothing to lose. This is perhaps why they have stayed quiet and under the radar for so long, watching the rest following the normalised standard of static "grocery list" quest based MMORPGs that exist today.

Players that are looking at the evolution of SW:TOR or GW2, Archeage or perhaps TERA I encourage you to check out what this game is promising to deliver if you haven't already.

Who knows what we will see at E3 but like they said, once they have a publisher sorted, release is not too far away from that point. Check out these for more information:

http://www.mmomagic.com/NewsDetail.php?newsID=120

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/

Comments

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

April fools ended 7 hours, 20 minutes and 6 seconds before this post. A bit late, dood. :(

• rottNrottN Member Posts: 161

lol..

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

Looks like something from the early 90's. 

• vinnygvinnyg Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by D_TOX

Looks like something from the early 90's. 

Maybe late 80's?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

It takes some special skill to make your races look worse than Darkfall though, we have to give them that.

Personally I am all in favor of gameplay over eyecandy but this is just ...

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

uh  lookie another 2nd gen fantasy mmo

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Thanks for the laugh!

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• sayuri2006sayuri2006 Member Posts: 161

YES! Happy April Fools!

No, seriously, this is no joke. What u must realise is that COS has been in development with graphics as placeholders for the time being, like the crap pictures u see on their website. Those graphics are from a very early prototype and do no justice to how they must look today. If you go through the COS forums on mmorpg.com, one of the devs states that the game's graphics shown on their website has completely changed. Anyhow, if you can look past the graphics and see the rest, it makes for some very promising ideas in MMORPG creation and player interaction.

It is OK though, you will ALL be proven wrong come E3 time in June.

I will eat my own words if I am proven wrong.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

In the UK Apirl fool lasts until midday, thats 12 0clock. Then any one that does an Apirl fool joke after that is a fool themselves.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by sayuri2006

YES! Happy April Fools!

No, seriously, this is no joke. What u must realise is that COS has been in development with graphics as placeholders for the time being, like the crap pictures u see on their website. Those graphics are from a very early prototype and do no justice to how they must look today. If you go through the COS forums on mmorpg.com, one of the devs states that the game's graphics shown on their website has completely changed. Anyhow, if you can look past the graphics and see the rest, it makes for some very promising ideas in MMORPG creation and player interaction.

It isn't so much the visuals that are the joke, but that they are MMO Dev Team #54131 to claim to be doing everything differently and "revolutionizing" the way we play these games.  I will believe it when I see it.

Hype is irrelevant, as are pre-launch promises when it comes to what a game actually has to offer its players.  That doesn't mean that what is being promised isn't good or welcomed, it just means that we (as a community) have heard it all before.

Let the game speak for itself upon release.  Back to the visuals.  You're going to find it hard for anyone here to take it seriously before they update their site beyond the placeholder art.  I'm not one to put visuals over gameplay (hell I started this genre in UO, I don't need no stinking graphics), but something that looks like COS's site does and claims to be the MMO Holy Grail is going to get laughed at.

That and the "tour" was mindnumbingly boring.  Seems like the game writes a lot of your character for you, which I don't mind in a SPRPG, but in an MMO my toon's life (from birth to death and beyond) is ALL MINE! muhahahaha

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

Edit: Reply dumped.

I seriously thought this was a post-April Fools' gag after seeing the screenshots on their website.  Visually it looked like abandonware from the mid-90's with some "looks great in concept" ala Xsyon/Mortal Online tossed in.  

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

Regardless of it being a joke, you should be the PR guy for todays MMO devs. You make crap look like chocolate with those descriptions.

• Robert_S4Robert_S4 Member Posts: 142

It is OK though, you will ALL be proven wrong come E3 time in June.

I will eat my own words if I am proven wrong.

When I started reading your thread I knew at once that it was Citadel of Sorcery you were talking about.

I have personally been following this game for several years now and I'm looking forward to it.

Now, sayuri2006, the problem here, is that people do not understand that the game is in it's early alpha stages still, there will be tons of changes before the game actually comes out, the game might not come out in 2 or 3 years still, it all depends.

What MMO Magic has been kind enough to do, is let out screenshot from the earliest builds available, yes, it looks like crap, but at least they are showing us something and not covering things up because it looks bad.

Todays gamers can't handle stuff like that though, and if they do see it, they react just as they have done in this thread, it's a given really, it's to be expected.

One of the developers posted, at least in the past, quite frequently in the forum for the game on this site, I have also sent in a bit of things on their site directly and gotten great answers.

This won't be your typical MMO game for the masses, this is going to be something entirely different.

So I believe that, if you are stuck with your head up the ass of WoW, you aren't really gonna enjoy playing Citadel of Sorcery, it's just a hunch I got.

For those firm WoW gamers that doesn't touch much else I mean.

But we have quite a bit of different types of people browsing this website, so only time will tell.

The people and the friends that we have lost, and the dreams that have faded, never forget them~

Originally posted by DarkVagabond

Regardless of it being a joke, you should be the PR guy for todays MMO devs. You make crap look like chocolate with those descriptions.

Do me a favor and have a look at the Citadel of Sorcery website, look over the things they will be implementing, the size of the world, generally.

It will shock you, it will shock most, no doubt.

And I'm not your atypical hyped up gamerdude.

The people and the friends that we have lost, and the dreams that have faded, never forget them~

Originally posted by nolf

ItThat and the "tour" was mindnumbingly boring.  Seems like the game writes a lot of your character for you, which I don't mind in a SPRPG, but in an MMO my toon's life (from birth to death and beyond) is ALL MINE! muhahahaha

That the tour is "boring", is pretty much subjective and up to each and every person.

Citadel of Sorcery will be a real story MMO game, I don't know about you, but I have yet to see one.

I'm not hyped up about Citadel of Sorcery, but I believe in the development team, I believe that they are able to pull it off.

In the end, time will tell.

Fact is at least, that most of todays MMO games in difference to a lot of offline games and what they have to offer, is pure crap.

Thinking games that go a bit back then, the stuff that got tossed since the last couple of years or so, mostly seem all about spinning the money wheel of fortune for the companies that makes those games.

There's a few golden pearls though, but I guess that's how it's usually been since the beginning :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by nolf

YES! Happy April Fools!

It isn't so much the visuals that are the joke, but that they are MMO Dev Team #54131 to claim to be doing everything differently and "revolutionizing" the way we play these games.  I will believe it when I see it.

Hype is irrelevant, as are pre-launch promises when it comes to what a game actually has to offer its players.  That doesn't mean that what is being promised isn't good or welcomed, it just means that we (as a community) have heard it all before.

Let the game speak for itself upon release.  Back to the visuals.  You're going to find it hard for anyone here to take it seriously before they update their site beyond the placeholder art.  I'm not one to put visuals over gameplay (hell I started this genre in UO, I don't need no stinking graphics), but something that looks like COS's site does and claims to be the MMO Holy Grail is going to get laughed at.

That and the "tour" was mindnumbingly boring.  Seems like the game writes a lot of your character for you, which I don't mind in a SPRPG, but in an MMO my toon's life (from birth to death and beyond) is ALL MINE! muhahahaha

Nolf,

I can completely understand your reservations and concerns, hell we all do. I was part of the "Dark and Light" fiasco; a world so beyond it's time in potential that had players calling it the holy grail at the time. Little did we know that it was a beautiful and HUGE world but with little MMORPG qualities. It was a dark age indeed.

What u must understand though is that not only is poor hype a killer but hype needs to be for a good reason and it must be shown. Just like how after the unveiling of GW 2 at Gamescom, the GW 2 scene was something people had seen; they could believe in it. Players could see their direction is a step in the revolution in immersive MMORPG gaming. The hype after the convention was astounding and it still continues today.

I believe this June at E3, people will actually see COS. They shred their doubts, but most of all, thousands will see COS for the first time.

Their website will get updated shortly. They will be giving us new pictures of the actual prototype they are working on, now that they will have chosen their planet and have all their toolsets ready for algorithm processing.

In terms of your SPRPG VS MMORPG aspects, it has and always will be up to the player whether or not he/she wants to group with players. Forced grouping is superficial and not fun. COS will offer choice, but like how GW 2 devs states players will want to group not because they need to but because the gameplay will make it more fun to able to. Then again, you may not want to group with anyone if you have only 30 mins to play one night, so the choice is yours.

Like I said, the proof is in the pudding and we will see.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The premise of the game sounds noble,but i really do not think people care about quested storylines at all,people do them in games like Wow just to advance a level number.If the devs from COS have not seen how people play these games since the inception of Wow,they really need to get out and look,it is not a pretty sight.

Cos is trying to remove a lot of in depth game aspects that take a lot of work to make right,Crafting for one.They are banking on one sole aspect and that is imo not a good idea.To make a whole game revolve around questlines is nothing new,it is old and imo boring.This type of game play is like reading a book,people that like reading books,are not playing games,they are reading books.

Well i do commend a developer for trying to create a game that they feel strongly about,it just does not cater to the market and will most likely fail or struggle badly.To create a story based game you need some great cinematics,and some great animation work,i do not get the feeling COS can deliver at all in those two areas alone.

Sorry but Archeage remains at the top of my list,actually the best looking hyped ideas i have seen in a game ever.

My Hype meter...

1 AA 10 [far ahead of the pack]

2 GW2 5-6 [one apsect/dynamic quests/events]

3 SWTOR 4-5 [voice acting][banking on IP name]

4-??? COS not even on my radar.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I''ve been following COS for about a year now, and on the surface, what they promise sounds amazing, fun and different and I'm hoping they can deliver on their promises.

That said, its been all talk so far.  Perhaps at E3 we'll finally see something, but so far there's been nothing really revealed that gives any indication where in the development cycle it really is.  They've posted here that the game won't be released until its ready, and they have the (apparently unlimited) funding to continue to build it indefinitely.

Sure, sure, the graphics we've seen are all placeholders, so I guess we'll have to wait until we actually see some end game ones before passing judgement.   Probably coming Soon [TM].

But for now it's way too soon (IMO) to try and generate any hype for this game, its been no show and no go so far and it's probably better to wait until the Dev's decide to share some real information before getting too excited about it.

Could turn out to be an amazing game, but so far we really do have nothing yet but promises, and we all know how challenging it is to turn design dreams into financially successful MMORPG's.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

im just wondering what the address is for the guy who says he'll eat his words if the game isnt a hit... so i can mail him a bottle of tomatoe sauce... (ketchup)  image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I'm not ashamed to admit that I like eye candy.  And it doesn't matter how good the mechanics for a game are, if it's an eyesore to look at, I'm going to stop looking pretty quickly.  That being said, all I see being hyped here is a vague wish list of possible future game features for a game that's, I'm sorry to say, an eyesore.  If the artwork being displayed on their site is any indication of what they've got in the game right now, how much do you think it will improve by June?

Sorry, I can't follow this one because I just can't stand to look at it.  Let me know when they've actually got something that makes it appear that they have any sense of aesthetics whatsoever, and they're at least willing to make an effort.  Right now, I just can't take it seriously.

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

This sounds cool until you start thinking about the logistics. In the tour written by the "player" (yeah, right) he gets a more or less random team together one day and they go on this long adventure with very little action and lots and lots of talk. Now, the talk is all cool, at least from the perspective of the "player," but let's face it... to get immersed in a story like this you'd have to have a team of very quick witted and creative people who can write a good yarn of their own. If your random party is full of average people like me, not so much. Hey - I can write a good story myself, but it takes time. My in game chat tends to be less rp and more about gameplay.

So after what sounds like hours of talking, searching, walking, tracking, interrogating, watching, hiding, and killing 10 people, they run out of time. And this is where it gets tricky. NOW you have a random group of people who need to get back together again sometime to finish this quest. It is difficult to keep a random group of people together for 2 hours, let alone meet up again at some pre-determined time. Heck, it can be difficult to get 10 people to meet up at a regular time once per week for a raid everyone is working on. Getting random people to come back to complete your adventure is supposed to just happen like that? Or is this something that all of these people in this group now have to complete? Now you have a bunch of random people who will likely not be completing this quest together looking for groups of other random people to help save this kid. And I wonder - will everyone in the game end up having to save this kid? If so, that kind of takes some of the novelty out of it right there. And is it repeatable? Did shadow magic girl know that they were being tracked because she'd done it before and you always get tracked? To me it all sound way too good to be true, way too slow-paced to be good, way too dependent on a very engaging and creative player base to work.

And, btw, everything the "player" described sounded like it was in a giant (rather tedious) instance. Personally, I have no problem with instanced adventures but it sure bugs the crap out of a lot of the mmo community - especially the rp market which seems to be what this game is targeting.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

This quiet MMORPG is ready to explode at E3 and what it will reveal will make everyone wonder why MMORPGs can not be like this one. Using more than 7 years of technological advancement in game development tools and ideas flowing from a center mass of a powerful questing tool, at E3 they will deliver. It will make the GW2 opening at Gamescom look like a patch update to an existing MMORPG. They are promising everything and they have nothing to lose. This is perhaps why they have stayed quiet and under the radar for so long, watching the rest following the normalised standard of static "grocery list" quest based MMORPGs that exist today.

Players that are looking at the evolution of SW:TOR or GW2, Archeage or perhaps TERA I encourage you to check out what this game is promising to deliver if you haven't already.

Who knows what we will see at E3 but like they said, once they have a publisher sorted, release is not too far away from that point. Check out these for more information:

http://www.mmomagic.com/NewsDetail.php?newsID=120

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/

This is my number one MMO at the moment with regards to concept and design; They just got the World tech finished and the first worlds to choose for the Game up and running 900,000,000 square Kilometers of glory.

Everyone gets their own instance of the world to be used and abused accordingly solo or with friends.

Exponential leveleing i.e. unlimited no level cap and a real world that can be wandered about in.