Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide: Next Expanding in Face of Closures

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment's John Smedley has confirmed that the Planetside: Next team is expanding even in the face of over 200 layoffs and the closure of three of SOE's studios in Tucson, Denver and Seattle. This astonishing revelation was given to Planetside-Universe.com editors in a call to Mr. Smedley.

PlanetSide Next is getting More resources and will be out a little later in the year but we are pulling out all the stops to make it great.

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Ok, everyone.  Syncronize watches for the next round of lay-offs from Sony Online Entertainment for later in the year.  Another 33%.  Ready?  Set?  MARK!

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

"...pulling out all the stops to make this one great...    ...out a little later in the year..."

So, we haven't learned the lesson yet about rushed development obviously.

SOE, business as usual. 

• WardropWardrop Member Posts: 462

The old planetside is 7 years old, who said they started yesterday developing it.. You dont know WHEN they started development.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Well, lets hope it doesn't flop.  I've got...Hiiiigh hopes..I've got hiiigh hopes...I've got high apple pie in the skyyyy hopes..

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by Wardrop

The old planetside is 7 years old, who said they started yesterday developing it.. You dont know WHEN they started development.

That's certainly a possibility. Perhaps the game has been in development for a good long time already.

But, if SOE's track record (and you should ALWAYS take SOE's track record into account), and the cheesy in game model renders Smed was posting says anything about i, the game has only started development recently.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

(mod edit)

Wardrop, I'm not trying to pick on you, as you bring up a valid point, but this is SOE we're talking about. All bets are off with them.

• WardropWardrop Member Posts: 462

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Originally posted by Wardrop

That's certainly a possibility. Perhaps the game has been in development for a good long time already.

But, if SOE's track record (and you should ALWAYS take SOE's track record into account), and the cheesy in game model renders Smed was posting says anything about i, the game has only started development recently.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

(mod edit)

Wardrop, I'm not trying to pick on you, as you bring up a valid point, but this is SOE we're talking about. All bets are off with them.

Agreed.

• ArtheariusArthearius Member UncommonPosts: 22

"...so it can focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties."

Damn you SoE!  You know just how to suck a quick $50+$15/Mo. from me don't you!  I feel kinda dirty that they are milkin the EQ franchise yet again...but it's a hawt sticky dirty I dont necessarily want to wash off...yet.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

So he pretty much confirmed EQ3?

Well distracting us with pixel crack while they steal our wallets is their forte!

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

they confirmed 'eq next' quite a while ago, accompanied by some early renders and concept art.

• Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

well, when its released lets see if they let their interns fuck with the game like they did the original planetside, boy oh boy i hope to see some unbalanced shit going on again like the original planetside happened when they got their hands on it...

rant aside, please god DONT FUCK UP THIS GAME!!! or its CCP only for me when Dust514 comes out

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

This game is going to be so far over SOE's head to compete with what's out there now. Ditch this and go with EQ: Next, not that I have a ton of faith in you guys there either.

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• joeballsjoeballs Member UncommonPosts: 163

I wish them a lot of luck, because they're going up against a lot of stiff competition. With games like Firefall and Tribes Universe; who know what's going to happen?

I hope they all do well. More games for me.

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228

Joe, remember that  Tribes and Firefall are both instanced based combat of at max 16 on 16 and Planetside is 150v150v150

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

So, this one is releasing a year early too Smed? ...My god, when will they learn.

Joined - July 2004

• duelkoreduelkore Member Posts: 228

Im really looking forward to planetside next.  I really dont get all the SOE hate.  They gave us eq1 for soo many years.  They gave us eq2, they gave us planetside.  All games I loved for various reasons and times.

Planetside 2 will be a must buy and so will eq3.  I dont care what they did to SWG, I dont care how they floundered vangaurd.

• goosiegoosie Member UncommonPosts: 69

Originally posted by duelkore

Im really looking forward to planetside next.  I really dont get all the SOE hate.  They gave us eq1 for soo many years.  They gave us eq2, they gave us planetside.  All games I loved for various reasons and times.

Planetside 2 will be a must buy and so will eq3.  I dont care what they did to SWG, I dont care how they floundered vangaurd.

People are angry at SOE for releasing good products and then proceed to ruin them through mismangement who fails on a consistent basis to listen to its customers.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

I heard planetside became a cheat fest....hope that does not happen in 2

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by toljar

Joe, remember that  Tribes and Firefall are both instanced based combat of at max 16 on 16 and Planetside is 150v150v150

Tribes 2 had 32 v 32 on certain servers.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

^ 64 players is still alot less then 450 players =P

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• tazmanyaktazmanyak Member UncommonPosts: 77

Dont know about tribes, but are you sure firefall is not open world??

link pls, if possible, to the article that give this info ^^

About PS:next ... well i do put lots of hope in this game. Not enough informations yet ... so i will just wait :p

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by tazmanyak

Dont know about tribes, but are you sure firefall is not open world??

link pls, if possible, to the article that give this info ^^

About PS:next ... well i do put lots of hope in this game. Not enough informations yet ... so i will just wait :p

Firefall does have an open world. However they did say that PvP would take place in its own areas.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Ausare

Tribes 2 had 32 v 32 on certain servers.

Tribes ascend and univerese is being developed by Hi res studios, the same people who released Global agenda with the standard UT3 hit detection and hitscan weapons, they're not the same developer as the original tribes. Dont put any faith in them, they're pants on head retarded.

As for Planetside Next, SOE purchased the Unreal 3 engine back in 06, while its highly unlikly they started on it back then, more likly 2008-2009, but Planetside is like no other MMO, it requires no real content, just some weapons, tanks, afew maps and players to fight it out. The development cycle should be rather fast, the only hard part is changing the UT3 netcode to support a large amount of players, but hey, they did it 8 years ago, im sure they can do it again.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Bastages killed Vangaurd so I have little hope left of them giving me something to go all wobbly knee'd at again.

I'll believe when I fell the need to pull out my plastic !

• vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by Wolfhammer

Bastages killed Vangaurd so I have little hope left of them giving me something to go all wobbly knee'd at again.

I'll believe when I fell the need to pull out my plastic !

Ruined Vanguard? How so?

I hear people say great things about its current state, yet it drew the ire of the masses for the bugs and poor performance left by Sigil Games before SOE took over. They may not have a development team for it now, but it hasn't garnered enough of a player base to warrant one. If not for SOE, Vanguard would have completely faded away by now.

• joeballsjoeballs Member UncommonPosts: 163

It will still be competition, considering that they're very similar in what you do and how you play. You can't bank on a fact that more players means better game. But you can bank on the fact that one will charge a subscription fee and the others do not. ;)

This discussion has been closed.