Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Adam Gershowitz Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com's Drew Wood recently had the opportunity to sit down with Rift Producer Adam Gershowitz to talk about the upcoming v1.1 patch and the River of Souls live event set to begin this week. Check out the conversation and then weigh in with your thoughts in the comments.

The patch is known as the River of Souls update and isn't just a new zone that's being opened up, but a whole event structure that will be going along with it. Adam was very clear that this will be the first of many massive world events. This is the first time the team will be telling a story that takes place across the whole of the server, all at one time, so that when the patch launches it'll affect the entire world of Telara.

Read more of Drew Wood's Rift: Adam Gershowitz Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SgtFabulousSgtFabulous Member Posts: 42

The only reason they have this update timed specifically for the start of April is to get another month of  subscription from people.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by SgtFabulous
    The only reason they have this update timed specifically for the start of April is to get another month of  subscription from people.

It's obvious to anyone that they timed this as an incentive to keep people playing past the first free month, there's always a big drop out after the first free month in any MMO launch, if Trion can do something to stem that a little, well more power to them. I'm looking forward to seeing what the event has to offer in terms of gameplay and loot, as is most of my guild, should be a blast :)

Kicks off tomorrow btw.

• drumchannelldrumchannell Member UncommonPosts: 182

Patch 1.1 goes live on March 30, 2011.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Hehe, you cynic! You're sadly probably right though. It was interesting how they said that players would have to take part to get all the goodies. I think they might be hard worked having to do this every month to keep players happy though.

What is most interesting to me, and very indicative of the state of modern MMOs, is that the first new zone for Rift is a raid zone. It's been one month and they're already adding new raid content to the game, over lower level content. It speaks volumes of how MMOs have progressed so that they're all about the endgame now.

I notice they also said there are different paths to progress through the raid content too, unlike the lower levels dungeons which were just linear paths. So you trudge through level after level of linear content only to finally get a taster of something interesting by being top level and raiding. So much for the journey.

There is something very wrong with MMOs.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • xcutionrxcutionr Member Posts: 63

Those evil bastards!! I can't believe they are trying to get us to keep playing their game!! Jerks will probablly come out with an expansion right before Chirstmas to try and get people to ask it for a persent!! Will the greed ever end!!

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

They're already showing a focus on raid content, expected, but very disappointing.  I don't understand this concept when you consider that the majority of the playerbase of any game doesn't care for or participate in raiding.  Considering the horrible replay value of the game with it's railroad straight progression, you'd think they would add a lot more low to mid level zones so you can avoid repeating the exact same content for each of your toons.

• AndyPrestonAndyPreston Member Posts: 63

And?

What would you do? Would you time it for a week after the next sub date? Are you pointing this out as a negative, or just because you think you've been extra quick at noticing the obvious?

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

The only reason any MMO introduces new content is to try to keep people subscribed. It's an MMO, content is the product. Guess what they will probably do next month...

All die, so die well.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by EvilGeek

It's obvious to anyone that they timed this as an incentive to keep people playing past the first free month, there's always a big drop out after the first free month in any MMO launch, if Trion can do something to stem that a little, well more power to them. I'm looking forward to seeing what the event has to offer in terms of gameplay and loot, as is most of my guild, should be a blast :)

Kicks off tomorrow btw.

In addtion "why not"?

Any company who decides to try to keep their customers by providing something new on a continuous basis, especially in the mmo world, is doing something right.

So I say "good for them".

@Sgt.Fabulous: if they would like to do this every month going forward I wouldn't say no. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

And what is wrong with that? Tell me? That's what we are paying for after all. If the other MMO's did that there would be a hell of a lot more decent choices in the MMO world right now rather than lazy developers and boring lackluster games out there. RIFT has arrived and has set the bar for the next new games to achieve much higher than it was previously. I doubt that few will be as successful as RIFT is headed.

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185

Personally I think that in the next year or three we'll get many new high quality mmos.. the market is expanding... if companies keep on churning out games ready for release... not games that are "almost" there the market will follow suit.  I truly doubt that WoW fits everyone's tastes but it has the largest community and most diverse activities... with ToR, GW2, ... possibly EQnext(we have almost no info on this one), and Tera.. more gamers will have more choices.. choices that might fit with their tastes better than they're previous game.  Here's to hoping.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

At the risk of being modded, you guys are replying to someone with a SINGLE post.  People are out there purposely trying to rile people up and get them flagged/banned for silliness.  Just a reminder from someone who has recently been on the repeated recieving end.  Best just to ignore them.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976

Of course the new content is being released to make players stay an extra month. How many MMO's do you know release extra content after a month and not just a patch? if they had not released content you would would have been asking where is the new content, they do and you say it is just to keep us in the game. :)

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

@sloeber

I may be wrong but this could be a case of the need for a sarcasm font.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

Are we really starting to complain about getting new content now? I don't see the problem, it doesn't matter if they release the patch one month after release to keep player to subscribe, it's a great way both for the company and the players to see that trion releases fresh content not too late after launch. I like it!

• SinizarSinizar Member Posts: 19

Now if they can just fix the support for nVidia 3D Vision Glasses I will be all set to subscribe.

• Dorko2kDorko2k Member Posts: 107

isn't this the guy who was one of the art guys for Warhammer & then magically became a dev for no reaon?

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by holifeet

Hehe, you cynic! You're sadly probably right though. It was interesting how they said that players would have to take part to get all the goodies. I think they might be hard worked having to do this every month to keep players happy though.

What is most interesting to me, and very indicative of the state of modern MMOs, is that the first new zone for Rift is a raid zone. It's been one month and they're already adding new raid content to the game, over lower level content. It speaks volumes of how MMOs have progressed so that they're all about the endgame now.

I notice they also said there are different paths to progress through the raid content too, unlike the lower levels dungeons which were just linear paths. So you trudge through level after level of linear content only to finally get a taster of something interesting by being top level and raiding. So much for the journey.

There is something very wrong with MMOs.

LOL, Your last line is too true!  Why do MMOs even bother with any levels prior to the FOTM max level.  Just start everyone at max level and be done with it.   Two weeks into Rift one could see the pre 20 areas devoid of life other than the occasional re-roller.  4 weeks in and the same can be said for much more.  All that content passed by in a blink of an eye.   And yes I did the quests, and yes I did explore.

But seriously, I start to question game companies that create massive amounts of content, with massive amounts of time devoted to developing it only to have it virtually unused after a months time. Now they are pressed into a "panic" to create new content for the masses.  Its a vicious cycle.  

So I look for a game that has old content.  I mean really old content that has as much purpose today as it did at game launch.  EvE Online.  If your familiar with it, you would know that a place called Jita (a solar system much like sanctum or meridian in Rift), is as important today as then.  Why can't avatar based, fantasy MMOs develop along those lines? 

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

It may coincide with the 1 month anniversary of launch, but at last we don't have to wait like in other games.  It took EQ years to fix a major crash bug, let alone get content patches out.  Trion has done numerous fixes and is already releasing a content patch.  I'd rather have Monthly Content patches (*cough* DCUO lied about it *cough*) than not any at all..

Edit: Maybe I won't have to go through the same raid a hundred times before they release a new content patch (like every other MMO).

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

So far the event looks promising. It's an event all over the world, so not limited to certain levels. It looks to have several phases and already changed the world, for instance Sanctum the capital of the Guardians is slighly transformed. I dunno whats yet to come, but it looks already better than the formerly called "monthly updates" of DCU. I am as skeptical a gamer as you know, but I see no reason to bash this or be suspicious.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• acerpg007acerpg007 Member Posts: 164

Ahmmm... Kid, just a reminder that when you grow up you'll know the word: Business. So don't join any grown up conversation before you know the details.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu, Art of War