Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

first time ever playing

Tnk0072Tnk0072 Member UncommonPosts: 98

so really i have no idea what to do..? like how to start off playing the game and what not. if anyone would be willing to give me some directions that would be greatly appreciated.! :D

Comments

• AizonesbribaAizonesbriba Member Posts: 10

The heart of Ultima Online is interaction with other human players and there are always plenty of players online - perhaps too many. The wilderness is full of players tromping around looking for something, anything, to kill. Monster respawning locations are typically surrounded by huge posses of characters out for blood. Naturally enough, if Ultima Online's bloodthirsty populace, er, "role-players" can't find monsters to attack, they start killing other players ("pkilling"). There's no escape from this pkilling in Ultima Online except in the relatively safe cities. Of course, if you happen to commit even a minor crime within a city, the all-powerful guards will promptly execute you (ah, nothing like a little frontier justice - jaywalkers beware).

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Aizonesbriba

The heart of Ultima Online is interaction with other human players and there are always plenty of players online - perhaps too many. The wilderness is full of players tromping around looking for something, anything, to kill. Monster respawning locations are typically surrounded by huge posses of characters out for blood. Naturally enough, if Ultima Online's bloodthirsty populace, er, "role-players" can't find monsters to attack, they start killing other players ("pkilling"). There's no escape from this pkilling in Ultima Online except in the relatively safe cities. Of course, if you happen to commit even a minor crime within a city, the all-powerful guards will promptly execute you (ah, nothing like a little frontier justice - jaywalkers beware).

There hasn't been open PKing in Ultima Online since like, 2001, I believe.

As for starting? Talk to players in game, find a guild, or go out and start killing monsters, slowly gathering wealth and such.

• RideOneRideOne Member Posts: 3

All PVP is in the Felucca Facet... all other facets are pvp free unless your guilded (you can attack guild members freely and alliance members if in war)

Starting out is always the hardest with sandbox games like UO.. the economy has been messed up for sometime, things cost alot due to the mass amounts of gold in the game.

I always started with some sort of killing character first, easiest would be make a archer (train archery, chiv, bushido, healing, tactics, anatomy and resist spell) this build will get you started killing low level mobs and allow you to build up some wealth. I than usually build a crafter... miner.. resource collector type of toon.

I agree with the above, depending on the shard (or if your on a free facet) try New Haven.. lots of guilds/players out there just to help new players.

GL and have fun!

• LadyAlyseLadyAlyse Member UncommonPosts: 36

Also, make sure you're not building your character on Siege Perilous.  You can buy but not sell on that shard.  I have been playing UO since it came out in 1997 and I still enjoy it.  I think it's the only good sandbox game out there these days.  I play the original 2D version. 

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

The main place to be at is LUNA now. So if you find someone ask them if they can "gate" you there if not run around and look for a moongate. People are EXTREMELY generous for new players. I had someone use 5 barbed sewing kits to craft me some nice leather pieces.

I think you still start out with 1,000 gold? or did they change that to like 20,000 gold? I cant remember, but anyway figure out what skills you want to focus on. Then run around and look for GRANDMASTER npc's and interact with them ask them to train you, then they will tell you how much you need to pay to get your basic training you can either type "train" (whatever skill you need) or they made it much more simple now, just left click on them and there will be some options to choose from. I still prefer typing cuz it makes it more interesting for me. Whatever skill you train, they can raise it by 32.2 or something then the rest you have to go out and skill up yourself.

If you're lost in a city HOLD your TAB button. This will help you fin your way around.

Remember this is a free roam game, nothing you do is wrong (depending on people's perspective) image So all you need to do is decide what you want and start on your path! Thats the beauty of this game. Once you figure it out, you'll enjoy and love this game.

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

It really was a brilliant game, i miss the do anything and be anyone nature of UO. I stopped playing years ago, but it's true that the first thing to do is find npc trainers to give you some starting skill in vital areas, fighting skills of some sort so you can go out into the wild areas and start mining or cutting down trees. Learn a crafting skill as well. I expect for anyone coming new to UO from one of the themepark games of these days it will be pretty daunting and confusing with no quest bubbles or skill trees or levels, etc... It's a shame it never became the norm in mmorpgs, the skill system based on percentages and changable at any time is still the best ever in my opinion, and amazingly never copied (even by wow).

• jarziumjarzium Member Posts: 40

i tried playing the game twice. i want to love it, i really do! but the learning curve is rather high. i'm also ashamed to say that i'm spoilt with the current mmorpg quest systems. i find myself quite lost within the game without any proper directions or guidance.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Better start slashing them deers and mobgbats... it's gonna be a loooong grind.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by jusomdude

Better start slashing them deers and mobgbats... it's gonna be a loooong grind.

No such thing as grind in this game anymore I can be Legendary in most skills in a matter of days.

• BatiatusBatiatus Member Posts: 1

How’s it going bud? I literally just registered on this site so I can help you here. I started playing UO when it was released back in 1997. I’ve taken time off twice and recently returned to the game about 4 months ago. I’ve spent the last few months getting reacquainted with the game and learning the new changes. Using my existing know-how and with some help from several sites Ive gotten myself solidly entrenched into the game. I only have 2 characters. Both have at least 6 GM (100+ skill points) or higher, skills each.

So you can say that I know this game. I’m in a guild and regularly help new players or returning players to get on their feet. I’m completely open to helping you as well. As stated in previous comments, yes, roughly around 2001 the game was split into 2 facets. Trammel and Felucca. PKing (or PVPing as its now called) is only allowed in Felucca. There are many facets now but all facets follow the same rule set as Trammel as far as PVPing is concerned. Only in Felucca can you attack another player.

If you'd like me to help you message me. We can exchange ICQ chat information and meet up in the game. Regardless to where you are, I can and will find you. And I can gate you anywhere. So no worries. :)