Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Design Concept Update (March 26th 2011)

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

LINK: http://www.wizardsandchampions.com/design_concept.html

To make a long story short...

Tons of companies are doing quest-grinders for the western market. (WoW-clones*)

A good number of Indies are trying their hand at sandboxes either PVP oriented or not (UO clones*)

What I'm doing is something different, best described as a Console RPG theme, aka a Morrowind clone.

To be fair, there's no way I can get the depth and complexity of Morrowind running in an MMORPG. There's just too much data to do ten-gazzilion real world items like forks, spoons, plates, and gear. Also, with my budget, there's no way I'm even coming close to their character art, voice acting etc.

On the good side... free-roaming, twitch combat, class based, freedom oriented, doesn't ride on rails, PVE and PVP servers (take your pick and switch ANYTIME you want to). Huge world, mostly seamless, tons of dungeons, no racial factions... for real this is going to play quite a bit like a console RPG except it's massively multiplayer!

Oh, and NO private dungeons. WoW and the clones can keep their instancing. It's not happening here.

imageimage FAIR WARNING: SOME LOW BUDGET INDIE GAMES HAVE BAD ARTWORK COMPARED TO AAA MMOs.  WAC IS WORSE THAN MOST BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE AN ARTIST ON THE TEAM.  PROGRAMMERS MAKE TERRIBLE ART imageimage

* with apologies to those who rightfully don't approve of quest games referred to as wow-clones.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• AglarannaAglaranna Member Posts: 204

I wish you the best of luck with your project!!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

With the new world being larger and the minimum hardware requirement raised,I have the opportunity to use some of the artwork that never made it into previous versions due to being too large or too hard on CPU/memory.  I'm happy with how a lot of it looks.

Now just a matter of seeing how the engine survives stress-testing image

I'll post pics when I have more of the work finished.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Aglaranna

I wish you the best of luck with your project!!

Thank-you kindly!