Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not Actually LGBT-friendly

RedMonkRedMonk Member Posts: 31

Just a heads-up to LGBT gamers who might be considering Runes of Magic because of the same-sex marriage option.

In my experience, there are no LGBT-friendly guilds in this game. The ingame chat filter also censors the terms "gay" and "lesbian", making recruitment difficult.

Other games like WoW and Lotro have responded to customer pressure to become more LGBT-friendly. They are able to do this because they are both the developers and publishers of the game. Runes of Magic is developed by a Taiwanese company Runewalker, but published by a German company Frogster. Communication is bad, and they cannot respond to problems quickly or adequately.

The playerbase is generally mature. However, efforts to raise LGBT game issues on the forums are met mostly with hostility. Other games have this aggressive heterosexist element, but they are drowned out in the larger playerbase. This is not the case in RoM because the playerbase is too small.

Trying to make Runes of Magic more LGBT-friendly seems like a lost cause.

My advice to LGBT gamers is to play Lord of the Rings Online if you want a free game (most LGBT kins appear to be on Landroval); or Word of Warcraft (on the Proudmoore server).

Never criticize a "sandbox" game on mmorpg.com. You will be drowned in a wave of kool-aid drinking fanbois.

Comments

• june32ndjune32nd Member Posts: 122

0.o i've never seen this type of guild in any game, then again i've never looked. sorry about that issue with runes of magic

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

I've heard of a few games having a decent LGBT community...most are in the more mature based player games like LOTRO, EQ2....even seen a legion in Aion when it first came out, but I wouldnt look too far into this and let it bum you out.  Use the words LGBT instead of Gay/ Lesbian when trying to recruit...it's kind of a good thing they would block it.  It keeps the smart ass immature kids from abusing it.  Any gay/lesbian/friendly person would know what your talking about anyway. 

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

If you are concerned about the lack of LGBT guilds, why don't you just make one? Also some lesbians and gays find those terms offensive. Some non-lesbian and non-gay people find those terms offensive. You can find a way around that too.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

so, after a quick net search....I now know what LGBT means. Thanks!

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I dislike when guild members discuss anything in real life, be it their drinking habits, favorite sports teams and now, I guess, sexual orientation.

I join gaming guilds to talk about gaming, and pretty much that's all I want to hear about on vent or in chat channels. Keep your personal lives out of my gaming.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

Good luck with that.....People like talking about anything they want to talk about. It's part of the joy of these things. Plus that would get pretty boring after a while, the conversations would just start to repeat themselves. I like to get to know the people I'm going to spend several hours each day I play with.

• RedMonkRedMonk Member Posts: 31

Why was this moved from the Runes of Magic forum to Off-Topic?

This thread was discussing a gameplay issue related to Runes of Magic. It provided information LGBT-gamers might want to consider if they planned on playing the game.

It is similar to issues regarding item shop use, hacking, and GM moderation, all of which remain in the Runes of Magic forum.

Could the MMORPG.COM mod please make clear why this thread was moved?

Never criticize a "sandbox" game on mmorpg.com. You will be drowned in a wave of kool-aid drinking fanbois.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by RedMonk

Why was this moved from the Runes of Magic forum to Off-Topic?

This thread was discussing a gameplay issue related to Runes of Magic. It provided information LGBT-gamers might want to consider if they planned on playing the game.

It is similar to issues regarding item shop use, hacking, and GM moderation, all of which remain in the Runes of Magic forum.

Could the MMORPG.COM mod please make clear why this thread was moved?

Redmonk

I understand your frustration about creating a LGBT guild. I really do. Many people think it isn't important to create a LGBT group but with me as a pansexual (a lesbian who tends to jump the fence for any gender) there is a strong unity within the LGBT guild system just like there is a strong unity within real life LGBT communities.

Many people here will tell you its useless or pointless to have a LGBT guild because of this or that. But there are ways of changing it.

The Guild that I am in WoW first started with the same frustrations you have had. At first, WoW would not even let the guild creator post in general chat that he is starting an LGBT guild because WoW thought that was political sensitive and advertising it was a no no. He could not even do it on the forums.

However, he really fought for his right to advertise an LGBT guild and, eventually, it worked. As of today, our Guild, TAINT, is the second largest guild in World of Warcraft and has been in many LGBT magazines as well as Gamer Magazine. It has gotten so large that when they changed the guild cap to 1,000 members, Blizzard gave us all password encruptic keychains for the inconvienence because our Guild leader had to split the guild into 7 sections; however Blizzard developed software so that all the guilds in our family could talk in the same guild channel. We had seperate rooms for Gays, Lesbians, bi sexuals, transgenders, etc etc.

And it all started by one guy who wanted a gay guild on Pridemoore.

Just keep up the fight :)

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

I'm in agreement with those who say this shouldn't even be an issue in the MMO world.  No one cares who you are behind the screen.  Just get down to business and get your game on.

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

People play games to get away from the real world and all it's crap.

So it's completely understandable if you're getting negative feed back for what you're trying to achieve here.

I absolutley hate seeing guild advertisements like " Christian guild recruiting like minded people." 

Gets on my nerves, and kills immersion.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

It's not the game that isn't catering to you. It's the players that aren't catering to you. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from forming an LGBT guild if you want to. Why don't you take the initiative and do something about it instead of complaining about it. You are not entitled to having people cater to your whims just because you're another one of the thousands of special interest groups that are forming. As far as I'm concerned you're just another person.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Good luck with that. I hope the trolls dont scare you away.  There community is set up like ff11. So there will be troll galoure.

Edgar F Greenwood

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Does a guild that is LGBT-only count as heterophobia?

• metruler1990metruler1990 Member CommonPosts: 14

Does a guild that is no-LGBTs-allowed count as homophobic?

I join guilds to meet people and make friends in a game. That said, I understand there are elitists, (and i suppose a couple average people) who don't.

That said, it should not kill immersion for anyone when someone advertises a LGBT-friendly ANYTHING. Your character is supposed to be an avatar for you in the game world, and it makes no sense to hide major IRL personality/lifestyle characteristics in favor of other's desires to have nothing to do with real life the second they enter their password on the login screen. If i even played this game at this point, i would gladly start a LGBT-friendly guild on my server, and advertise it everywhere i went, regardless of what elitists/homophobes/people who think a major facet of a fellow human's personality being shown ingame kills immersion think of it.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

I wish the world would hurry up and grow up already. I'm tired of hearing about people looking to be accepted for who they are; can we all just go ahead and agree that it really isn't a big deal and all get along already?

Edit: As an afterthought; people buy BioWare RPGs by the millions, even though my male toon gets hit on by male NPCs, why should having gay party members be more acceptable than gay guildies?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

You should check out City of Gaymers, a coalition of LGBT friendly guilds (Supergroups) in City of Heroes.

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

Who cares? Not to sound harsh, but MMO's are shrouded with internet anonimity that people abuse like no other. If you want a guild that supports you, then create one yourself, don't blame the game for not doing it for you. People are jerks.

• xandarr2000xandarr2000 Member Posts: 10

Some of the posts have been pretty ridiculous. I dont really like any guild to be TOO segregated.  You can miss out on missing a lot of great people that way.  I have played in 2 different LGBT guilds, one completely by accident.  I am a straight married man, and never once did I have an issue, Nor was there anything off color discussed.  In fact it was one of the better gaming experiences I have had.  To the OP, dont give up, as they said you should make your own guild and just make it known that you are accepting of all gamers with an emphasis on a home for LGBT gamers.  I think the world is really to small these days for people to be so completely ignorant of others.  People will of course by nature congregate with folks that share similiar lifestyles, interests etc, but in the end I think everyone be willing in gaming to step past their boundaries.  Some of the best friendships are made that way!

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

{mod edit}

What?

Eleanor Rigby.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by Kyleran

I dislike when guild members discuss anything in real life, be it their drinking habits, favorite sports teams and now, I guess, sexual orientation.

I join gaming guilds to talk about gaming, and pretty much that's all I want to hear about on vent or in chat channels. Keep your personal lives out of my gaming.

This.

When I'm playing a game, I could care less about who you are outside of game.  If I'm in a dungeon with you, the only thing I care about is whether you're playing your role properly.  Who and what you like to fuck doesn't matter, and the simple fact that you think it should is just begging for drama and attention.  You're not going to hear me go on and on in chat about my beliefs and sex life, I don't want to hear you go on about it either

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by zeowyrm

This.

When I'm playing a game, I could care less about who you are outside of game.  If I'm in a dungeon with you, the only thing I care about is whether you're playing your role properly.  Who and what you like to fuck doesn't matter, and the simple fact that you think it should is just begging for drama and attention.  You're not going to hear me go on and on in chat about my beliefs and sex life, I don't want to hear you go on about it either

I see the charm school was a waste of time then...

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

I had one of my best raiding experiences ever with a guild on Proudmoore in WoW. They were awesome, and immediately told me their only real rules is please try to keep the "gay" slanders to a minimum (they were fully aware that sometimes people are gonna slip up and say "gay"), and you don't have to be LGBT to join. They were an awesome group of people.

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree with other people saying to just put up or shut up. It shouldn't matter who you are outside of the game. People are letting their ingame relationships be some sort of pseudo-surrogate for real life interaction. It's not. If you feel the need to be surrounded by your community, then find a LGBT support group in your area. Don't bring your baggage to the game.

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

True ..,. i can see why you would want to. There are alot of ignorant people who play mmorpg. And you might just get that one who has to be the wanna be funny dumbass who talks alot of crap. Good luck and have fun. 

Edgar F Greenwood

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by RedMonk

Just a heads-up to LGBT gamers who might be considering Runes of Magic because of the same-sex marriage option.

In my experience, there are no LGBT-friendly guilds in this game. The ingame chat filter also censors the terms "gay" and "lesbian", making recruitment difficult.

Other games like WoW and Lotro have responded to customer pressure to become more LGBT-friendly. They are able to do this because they are both the developers and publishers of the game. Runes of Magic is developed by a Taiwanese company Runewalker, but published by a German company Frogster. Communication is bad, and they cannot respond to problems quickly or adequately.

The playerbase is generally mature. However, efforts to raise LGBT game issues on the forums are met mostly with hostility. Other games have this aggressive heterosexist element, but they are drowned out in the larger playerbase. This is not the case in RoM because the playerbase is too small.

Trying to make Runes of Magic more LGBT-friendly seems like a lost cause.

My advice to LGBT gamers is to play Lord of the Rings Online if you want a free game (most LGBT kins appear to be on Landroval); or Word of Warcraft (on the Proudmoore server).

why should people go out of their way to be lgbt friendly, when they dont go out of their way to be non lgbt friendly.

censoring words people use as insults is old hat.  nothing stopping you from recruiting with the term lgbt though, i doubt its censored.

stop acting like the damn victums, the worlds a nasty place for everyone.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

To a certain extent I'm like this as well.

Oh, I enjoy when my guild member friends talk about their lives. I don't like it when anyone prosletizes or becomes a crusader for any topic. Whether it's sexuality, politics, you name it. Unless of course they are being publcly attacked and they must become a crusader.

But otherwise, I don't see a reason for anyone to know my politics or religous preferences or my sexual preferences in any game.

And for the record, I'm in the arts. You can't throw a dance belt without hitting someone with some sort of different preference. But when i'm in rehearsal I shouldn't have to know what sexual preference my performers are unless they casually mention their same sex partner is coming to pick them up, etc.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo