Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift is very good

stucoolstucool Member Posts: 134

I have played many a MMO, and I must say, that out of the box, Rift has been the best. There are many things about the game that are just user friendly. From the interface, to small things like different color text for classes. These folks released a game that is not original, but improves on many things other MMO games already have. Yes, it is alot like WoW in many ways, but from the get go, it has been just a fun game to play. I have been impressed so far. I really like the soul tree concept as well. This game should be around along time, it will be interesting to see how far it goes in the crowded MMO genre.

Comments

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

Agreed, totally enjoying my time in Rift and can't wait to see what Trion has instore for the game over the next few years.

Godz of War I call Thee

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

I dont know if anyone has noticed but I have not heard any bad word of mouth on this game. All I hear is good word of mouth and this is the first game that caters to the WOW audience and apparently doing it well. And word of mouth can take you from a few hundred thousand to a few million subs in a short time. I'm hoping this is the one, although its probably not my cup of tea as far as mmorpgs go, I do want something to de saturate the market, so that other good games that have a modest 200k sub base or so can survive and say they are doing well again. I have seen alot of would have been good game either flounder on release or die out during beta due to market pressure from the WOW behemoth.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Rift is a decent game, something to waste time on untill GW2 comes

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Faelsun

I dont know if anyone has noticed but I have not heard any bad word of mouth on this game. All I hear is good word of mouth and this is the first game that caters to the WOW audience and apparently doing it well. And word of mouth can take you from a few hundred thousand to a few million subs in a short time. I'm hoping this is the one, although its probably not my cup of tea as far as mmorpgs go, I do want something to de saturate the market, so that other good games that have a modest 200k sub base or so can survive and say they are doing well again. I have seen alot of would have been good game either flounder on release or die out during beta due to market pressure from the WOW behemoth.

I have.  Nothing really noteworthy though. 

Main gripes I have seen is it really isn't innovative in any way or that it simply is too much of a rehash of other games they are already tired of.  Still, that is more opinion than anything so far as hearing any issues that seems to be a major issue or flaw that could hamper the game or its retention rate can't say I've heard much.

I think this game is going to do rather nicely population wise over the long haul.  Unless Trion gets really lazy with updates and customer service down the road.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• CompwiztCompwizt Member UncommonPosts: 9

I played the beta, but I'm on the fence about buying it.  If it wasn't for the box price, I would be playing.  Since, excluding the class system, there really isn't anything that unique about it I could just play some other game for cheaper.   Although I saw on amazon for $40 for download, with $15 amazon credit with purchase, so I might end up getting it.

Hello, Yes and Goodbye.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I'm having a lot of fun in game as well. Some people hate it because of its similarities to WoW. But its a fun game that works w/ some innovations and an awesome class system.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

The last few days I’ve been power lvling through scarwood and moonshade highlands, and have not a single complaint. I've also been playing AION, and it is interesting how RIFT seems to have avoided all the problems it has.

The classes in AION were 4, divided into 2 specialties, resulting in watered down archetypes, the pve was very badly planned out, with amazing repetition, and lack of variety, the pvp is forced upon you, and won’t be fun till endgame. All these things Trion avoided by making sure pvp was fare, classes had lots of freedom and options, and pve was broken up into story quests, item quests, kill-list quests, rifts, invasions, and ancient wardstone-pvp content, with exp rates allowing for just the right speed of progression.

All in all, it may not be the great leap forward GW2 may be, but it’s the first game to remind me for a long time of why I dedicate all my gaming time to mmos in the first place. Many mmo vets may feel a total shake-up of setting, combat or classes is needed in mmos now, and I agreed untill Trion showed that all was needed was the usual mmo DONE RIGHT.
  • Mongrel001Mongrel001 Member Posts: 2

{mod edit}.

The game is totally anti-social, few benefits for grouping, at most, two folks are needed for anything, until you get to the very end, and then its just a few mobs thrown in as though they were afterthoughts. My wife and I busted the game wide open quickly, grouped fewer than a dozen times other than rifts when other folks joined our public group. Rifts of Clusterf...s with everyone competting for kills, most often healers are too intent on dps-ing, than to bother with healing folks they do not know, and in this game it does not pay to get to know folks.

{mod edit}

Graphics are third rate, at best, about the same as WOW but lacking the sophistication of EQ2... not that I have anything against WOW, it is just different, (the girls are not supposed to look like runway models when walking, in EQ2 they do look like runway models, I swear they were patterened after them beautifully.)  Mounts are well, unimaginative. A two tailed cow thing? I drew something like that when I was 8. 

{mod edit}

Voice actors? Pretty sure thay just let friends and developers do these, they are a laughable little distraction, good for a giggle, but not to enliven content, and there are alot of them! Just sit back and imagine your friends doing them, it can be a hoot.

{mod edit}

My experience has been the exact opposite to everything you just described.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by zevni78

My experience has been the exact opposite to everything you just described.

Thems be good arguments.

.. But in a good way.

I don’t need to argue about my personal experience, it is what it is, just reverse the previous post's points, I save arguing for philosophy forums.

I don’t need to argue about my personal experience, it is what it is, just reverse the previous post's points, I save arguing for philosophy forums.

Mah bad. I originally quoted you when all you said was "I disagree." and didn't see the quote update.

Then again, "I experienced the exact opposite of this guy right here" is pretty weak in and of itself.

.. But in a good way.

Again, no point in making an argument as all it would be is disagreeing with each point. I could give examples as to why I disagree but it would be anecdotal.

• arnaki3000arnaki3000 Member UncommonPosts: 66

i agree with the OP

I've been playing rift since launch and i am currently a level 32 rogue. I also have a level 22 cleric. I take my time when leveling and i really do enjoy every aspect of the game. I'll definately stay for at least a couple of months. Just as a note i've submited 3 bug reports and all bugs were fixed pretty fast. Its really important for me that the developer actually cares for its game and subscribers

• stucoolstucool Member Posts: 134

Mongrel, I respect the fact that you, and others want what you consider a challenge. Rift may not be what yall are looking for. I, on the other hand, only have one criteria. If it's a fun game, I play it. I have enough challenges in real life to face too many in a game.

I hope you find a game that meets your needs as well. I'm just a simple man, that's all.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by Blacknd

Mah bad. I originally quoted you when all you said was "I disagree." and didn't see the quote update.

Then again, "I experienced the exact opposite of this guy right here" is pretty weak in and of itself.

I'll do it for him. The graphics are amazing and really immersive and the spell effects are the best I have seen in a released MMO. The class system is very deep and creates a more advanced game that many other options out there. The group dynamic is a lot of fun in dungeons and its always a different experience because people are always bringing in new class combinations. The UI is very user friendly and easily customisable. I still have months of content ahead of me, and by that time much more will have been released. Oh and the voice acting is good!

These are my observations. =D

Remember Old School Ultima Online

arnaki3000

Yes, Trion is building a good rep, respecting an mmos devs goes some way to building loyalty, important for endgame, as when the content becomes more repetitive we'll need many more reasons to stay, as themepark endgame is often comparable.

• arnaki3000arnaki3000 Member UncommonPosts: 66

arnaki3000

Yes, Trion is building a good rep, respecting an mmos devs goes some way to building loyalty, important for endgame, as when the content becomes more repetitive we'll need many more reasons to stay, as themepark endgame is often comparable.

about a month ago i was really craving for a mmo, so i went and purchased rift without giving it to much thought. To tell the truth after reading some threads here at mmorpg.com i was expecting a half-baked product that i'll get bored of and quit in a few days. Well, i was wrong and i'm glad.

Even if i get bored of rift at some point i'll definately buy an expansion to the game or their next project.

Originally posted by EndDream

Originally posted by Blacknd

I'll do it for him. The graphics are amazing and really immersive and the spell effects are the best I have seen in a released MMO. The class system is very deep and creates a more advanced game that many other options out there. The group dynamic is a lot of fun in dungeons and its always a different experience because people are always bringing in new class combinations. The UI is very user friendly and easily customisable. I still have months of content ahead of me, and by that time much more will have been released. Oh and the voice acting is good!

These are my observations. =D

I have a few disagreements here.

My main one being the spell effects and immersion. The spell effects for most spells, as a caster, were extremely underwhelming, then you would have a spell like the Champion's charge, which was way and above flashier than anything else. My immersion was mainly killed by this and the lackluster sound effects.

The class system as well seemed like it had quite a bit of depth, but then Trion went and put huge incentives to invest X amounts of points into specific classes. Huge incentive to cap most classes. This killed a bit of the depth for me, when a developer tries to sway the public in such large ways to spec how they want. Yes, you can go against the tides and spec differently, but when it boils down to it, that is inefficient and simply not as effective as a fully capped counterpart. I felt like most builds of a class were extremely similar, except for which third soul they took for the 0-point abilities, or the generic tier-1 talents. I feel they could have done a much better job in the name of depth. Class customization is something I really look forward to in an MMO, and was happy with it at first, but later let down. The lack of consquence in spec didn't help much either.. Have a 51 champion? It's nerfed? Respec! You can change your class! Guess that's kind of necessary though when you make such sweeping 'balance' changes.

.. But in a good way.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200

Good game is good. However after playing practically every day since release I have 4 characters, 2 lvl 50s, the others in their 20s, all 9 proffesions at 225+ skill (so 6crafting proffesions and 3 gathers) my main whom is a mage is half way to prestige rank 6 and i have pretty much completed all the content available to me, and I've enjoyed it all thoroughly.

The only things left for me to do is down the last few bosses in greenscale (which is more of a guild thing) and get all my revered factions to glorified and finish off my main to pr6 and farm a lil more after that for the 2-3pieces left that I need.

I realize I'm a minority and not everyone plays or gets the chance to play 8ish hours a day but I've become bored with the game now. The reason I bring that point up is because I have this type of play style for most MMOs (Note: My job allows me to work 2-3months straight and collect more pay in overtime than most people would make in 6month normal pay so I take long periods of time off for MMO releases, etc) However with that said RIFT was a game Ive mostly completed and gotten bored of faster than most other games I've done this for. That said, this game is great for awhile but without any substantial endgame that leaves me craving more.

I'd say if you're the type of player who plays a LOT like myself, this game won't last you past the free month.

Just my 2cents.

tldr; game is good but has repetitive & little content for a hardcore player.

•  

Just to contrast... I've been playing since headstart and my main is level 29.

I'm playing a paladin/warlord/champion tank and having a blast. If I get 8 hours in a weekend (and I guess I often do, say up to 12 hours) to play Rift I'm pretty happy. Some evenings I get to play for a couple of hours too.

Honestly, if you want something to entertain you for more than 8 hours a day, for months on end, I hear real life doesn't fare too badly? I suspect someone's first MMO might be able to do this but it's a lot to ask. It is certainly something I do not ask of an MMO.

To the OP, absolutely. I find myself enjoying the content the higher the level I am and I've started reading more of the quest text. I miss an appearance tab, but that is my only gripe so far.

• LikeabossLikeaboss Member Posts: 37

Well made, entertaining and I feel the value of my hard earned dollars that I have spent. This makes for a successful business model which many companies strive to attain and few succeed.

What i have found in most sandboxes are discarded toys and cat poop.

Originally posted by UserNoName

tldr; game is good but has repetitive & little content for a hardcore player.

I am very hardcore, and I agree I may well run out of content pretty fast with this game, however I will enjoy what there is, and it’s worth the box price for only 2 months of play, I’ve had a lot more fun than STO, FFXIV, Xsyon, AION etc, so I'm not complaining, and after I’ve had my fill of SWTOR and GW2 I’ll come back and play the extra content.

Wouldn’t I prefer this was a years long commitment? Well as long as there are new fun mmos coming out I don’t mind lasting only a few months. Besides, GW2 had stolen my heart before I'd even heard of Rift, and I had no expectations with Rift at all, and was pleasantly surprised in beta, if GW2 is bad, THEN I’ll be let down.
  • crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Rift is really well made game. It's all about polish and fun rather than novelty. Neither of things I've listed below is exceptional, but when You mix them, Rift starts to shine.

• questing is okay, nothing exceptional with nicely marked story quests so some players know when to read ;)
    • crafting while not major element of game, has it's own place with nice blue and even purple items. Dismantle ability is handy tweak that allows You to recycle some not needed items instead vendoring them or filling AH with useless junk.
    • rifts are like random pug groups fast and fun way to get some loot and kill some stronger mobs. While experience may vary according to pug those are neat way to enrich Your leveling experience while doing 10th quest in a row.
    • invasions are region wide events which basically shows that game is alive. Seeing 2 24 folks raids in action rather than around AH and mailboxes is really nice. While those events soft force You to involve in them, they give nice rewards, experience and usually finish with big bad boss fight. Sure it's more often than not simple zerg the big guy. It's still fun. To spice things up boss fights often end up with big pvp battles.dungeons while quite well visually designed aren't anything special. Some trash, then boss, repeat. Roll on loot. I find it so far weakest part of my experience.warfronts aka battlegrounds are solid. Another way to get some nice gear and exp and even some money.soul system is most unique and best designed so far. Also it makes people rage and whine all across internet cause they can't get that warrior-tank, dps - rogue/mage, healer - cleric isn't 100% true in Rift. I just hope devs will hide numbers(aka no meters, just 3rd party parsers) and allow You to pick what You like rather making homogenization off classes which is foreseeable result of min-maxing and math.

tl;dr If You are bored with themepark MMOs You'll just wonder, why this game has so good opinions among ppl. But if not and You are just looking for fun MMO, where everything is still fresh and devs are actually active and listen to people - Rift is best pick. And I'm sticking with it, canceling WoW and not bothering with newest LOTRO book.