Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This your GW2 :D

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

These videos are here to give people a better understanding of of what GW2 is trying to do,i will give my comments and then you can judge for yourself.

starting character

My personal take is this is nothing new and rather boring,see if you get bored after listening to the guy a bit.Personally i don't like surprises,i think most want to have better control of their player.Notice the cinematics,i think they look very bad,they defend their poor efforts by saying they went for that look because they prefer artistic over photorealistic.Well we have heard that before [Wow]my take is that is not good art ,looks more like 2d paper cutouts,imo looks bad,but judge for yourself.Opening story is rather cheesey as well :/.

Entering game

Ok here he confirms what i already said in last paragraph.Starts by telling you are entering a great piece of artwork...except,then he clicks the npc and you see this awful looking green hue outlining the npc,kinda makes it look fake again and not very eye pleasing.I think the cinematic story telling again looks real cheap and just plain bad or not?

Important points...scenery looks really nice,but characters are VERY low poly.Once again  an ugly red hue around targeted mob.Notice a VERY empty world,too much is pushing to a linear story to follow,doesn't look like you could do anything but follow the linear path.

I am not so sure what they are calling environment interaction is that,looks more like just an emote triggering some mobs to spawn.IDK does it look very well done for the immersion factor?

IMO the narrator is really stretching to make things sound better than they really are.

MOST important part is that their so called DYNAMIC events,are really just npc's waiting to trigger a quest with a green marker over their heads.

hi level thief

Ok here we have thief using guns,notice she doesn't seem to miss at all.So narrator is trying to convey about strategic combat with the dodging,yet the player is never missing a shot,kinda counterproductive if you never miss.I find again the red and yellow hue around targeting really ruins the immersion and looks bad.

IDK,i think after watching the 3 videos that basically take you through the entire scope of the game from creation to entering to high level,i am not sold on the game being as hyped as it is.

Feel free to offer your own comments,if you think the videos do the game justice or you agree with me and that it doesn't really look that good.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

I'm debating whether to pick apart your post or not but while I think on that I have to say that if you don't like the game then don't bash it, just ignore it.

You're just making yourself look like a troll.

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

To be honest you sound like you're trying to find things about the game to complain about (maybe you are?).

and no, I hardly find the cinematics poorly done at all, and I don't have a problem with the toons either. Really, the only thing I would agree on is the green and red highlighting the npc's, but it's not that big of a deal. Not to mention the game isn't even in beta yet, and it's completely possible that's for the demo, or they'll have it so you can adjust it at launch.  

You just sound like a troll.... but I'll reserve that judgment for the time being.

Ps: if anyone finds my post somewhat hard to follow, it's because It's late and I feel like crap from being sick. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by romanator0

I'm debating whether to pick apart your post or not but while I think on that I have to say that if you don't like the game then don't bash it, just ignore it.

You're just making yourself look like a troll.

It's a discussion feel free to tell me or others if you think it actually looks good ,judging from factual content the narrator is displaying.No need to call people names,if you like the game or not,just comment ,otherwise you are doing as you just said ..."trolling".I guess when you say "pick a part" your post,sounds like you are already getting aggressive,the videos are their feel free to watch then form a unbiased opinion,not one that is just ready to stomp on a poster.

If you don't agree then tell me why,don't just get all huffy,it's just a game ,not life.Bettter yet ,just say what you see in the videos,it's not about "picking a part" someone's post.

Posting FACTUAL videos is MUCH more accurate than people just throwing around opinions.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GrazzulGrazzul Member Posts: 21

The dynamic events that you're talking about arent even dynamic events.

I think you're talking about the personal story quests that are taking place in the tutorial.

Dynamic events never have green markers.But there are special dynamic events that have to be triggered by talking to an npc in a specific way. Even then, there's no green marker over the npc's head. Another type of triggered event is one where you would have to steal a certain item from an underwater cave, having a seamonster chase after you starting an event chain.

Hmm, theres actually alot of fun environmental stuff you can interact with also, like cannons which were already shown.

They also have environmental weapons that you can play with, some even taken from monsters.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by Karesh

To be honest you sound like you're trying to find things about the game to complain about (maybe you are?).

and no, I hardly find the cinematics poorly done at all, and I don't have a problem with the toons either. Really, the only thing I would agree on is the green and red highlighting the npc's, but it's not that big of a deal. Not to mention the game isn't even in beta yet, and it's completely possible that's for the demo, or they'll have it so you can adjust it at launch.  

You just sound like a troll.... but I'll reserve that judgment for the time being.

Ps: if anyone finds my post somewhat hard to follow, it's because It's late and I feel like crap from being sick. 

No dude,i watched the videos,then formed an unbiased opinion.Notice i did say the scenery looked really good,i give credit whre it is do ,i don't just attack a poster because it might be a game i am a fanbois of.

I thought with a lot of people just throwing out anything,some videos that actuall yshow the real GW2 would be better to mull over with opinions.

As i said the cinematics look real bad,even the narrator says they are not great looking and tries to defend his reason why [artistic over photorealistic],so don't jump all over me saying it is not noticeable.You are free to say it looks fine,i just think it looks cheap.If it wasn't obvious the narrator wouldn't have got defensive.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

LOL it is so funny these posts that try to be critical of the game a game that only costs you the price of a single player rpg but yet lets you play it with others for the same price that you paid for Dragon Age or any other single player game.I mean whats to lose and seriously if you dont like it and think it will be boring for you save your $60 and spend it on something else.If you think your post will stop people from buying it I think you are deceiving only yourself.The 1st GW was awesome I have had it for 7+ years and still enjoy it at times I decide to jump back in it and what did I spend $49.99 and I have no doubts that GW2 will be any different.

Idk, i love the cinematic. I love the art. I don't think i'm alone when i say they have some of the best concept art in the business.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I have not read OP, but if I'm not wrong, there is some discussion about the 2.5D cinematics. Now I have been keeping up with GW2 really well and love almost all aspects, but this 2.5D cinematics is bothering the hell out of me. ANet wants to be artistic, by all means, but why can't they do it with 3d space? Why 2.5d cinematics, why not 3d?

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

The character development choices are fine for me, and as far as having been done before, yes many single player RPG's have utilized this, but I can't think of one MMORPG that has.

As for the art in the 'cinematics', I think it is fine as is. I am not so shallow that I need high end graphical cut scenes in all of my games. As long as the game is enjoyable, they can use their art in whatever way they feel.

As for entry into the world and personal story, it's too soon to tell how that's going to play out, but if I recall correctly that all takes place in your own instance, and not shared with other players so I don't understand the complaint of it being an empty world or it being linear for that matter... Again it's way too soon to tell how much branching off and choices you will have in your personal story.

I don't undersand your comments about the 'hi level'   err high level thief. His point about dodging was that the thief was taking a lot of damage and that the player has the ability to dodge the enemies attacks. I don't understand how you are saying that comment is pointless when the thief isn't missing. The thiefs attacks not missing the enemy has no bearing on that fact that just standing there the thief was taking damage.

Your thread has done nothing to lessen my interest in this game. I'm still going to buy this game, you are more than welcome to move along if it isn't your cup of tea.

Originally posted by Grazzul

Idk, i love the cinematic. I love the art. I don't think i'm alone when i say they have some of the best concept art in the business.

Actually you don't have to say that, its a proven fact.

http://www.tinfoilgames.com/info.php

http://www.kekaiart.com/

These are 2 of ArenaNet's lead artists. I'm pretty sure they have more awards together than most other game companies have.

About that linear path thing, you were looking at a tutorial...

This game is a VERY explorer friendly game, that's what the devs want. They try to cater to all types of gamers.

Add the fact that there are dynamic events, beautiful scenery, the ability to scale up to a friends level or downscale to an area, exploring should be amazing.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Originally posted by Wizardry

IDK,i think after watching the 3 videos that basically take you through the entire scope of the game from creation to entering to high level,i am not sold on the game being as hyped as it is.

Feel free to offer your own comments,if you think the videos do the game justice or you agree with me and that it doesn't really look that good.

I have my doubts about GW2, but for you to say those three videos show the entire scope of the game is just plain wrong on so many levels. They don't show the entire scope. They show the character creation (incomplete), they show the Norn starter area (and what I must admit was a very quick boss - left me concerned) and it showed a bit of high level fighting - but not a dynamic quest. The videos completely missed two of the major areas of the game; a really indepth look at your personal story and the dynamic quests.

I don't think the game looks bad, I think it looks wonderful, but maybe a little lacking in distance scenery. The cutscenes are equally nice, and I like the artistic style. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, I agree, but it's hardly fair to judge the whole game on a piece if CGI.

I don't particularly like the mob/char highligh effects but they're not a whole deal more intrusive than anything in other games, such as target circles. A game must have a way to signal to you who your target is.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but you did kind of ruin yours by stating, so wrongly, that those three videos showed the entire scope of GW2.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!

Oh lol, the boss was bugged. The health was at like 3/4 when the cinematic took off.

Originally posted by holifeet

I have my doubts about GW2, but for you to say those three videos show the entire scope of the game is just plain wrong on so many levels. They don't show the entire scope. They show the character creation (incomplete), they show the Norn starter area (and what I must admit was a very quick boss - left me concerned) and it showed a bit of high level fighting - but not a dynamic quest. The videos completely missed two of the major areas of the game; a really indepth look at your personal story and the dynamic quests.

I don't think the game looks bad, I think it looks wonderful, but maybe a little lacking in distance scenery. The cutscenes are equally nice, and I like the artistic style. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, I agree, but it's hardly fair to judge the whole game on a piece if CGI.

I don't particularly like the mob/char highligh effects but they're not a whole deal more intrusive than anything in other games, such as target circles. A game must have a way to signal to you who your target is.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but you did kind of ruin yours by stating, so wrongly, that those three videos showed the entire scope of GW2.

Common consensus seems to be that the fight with the giant wurm was bugged. You can see that its health bar isn't empty when it dies.

• NudlesNudles Member UncommonPosts: 54

These videos are here to give people a better understanding of of what GW2 is trying to do,i will give my comments and then you can judge for yourself.

starting character

My personal take is this is nothing new and rather boring,see if you get bored after listening to the guy a bit.Personally i don't like surprises,i think most want to have better control of their player.Notice the cinematics,i think they look very bad,they defend their poor efforts by saying they went for that look because they prefer artistic over photorealistic.Well we have heard that before [Wow]my take is that is not good art ,looks more like 2d paper cutouts,imo looks bad,but judge for yourself.Opening story is rather cheesey as well :/.

Entering game

Ok here he confirms what i already said in last paragraph.Starts by telling you are entering a great piece of artwork...except,then he clicks the npc and you see this awful looking green hue outlining the npc,kinda makes it look fake again and not very eye pleasing.I think the cinematic story telling again looks real cheap and just plain bad or not?

Important points...scenery looks really nice,but characters are VERY low poly.Once again  an ugly red hue around targeted mob.Notice a VERY empty world,too much is pushing to a linear story to follow,doesn't look like you could do anything but follow the linear path.

I am not so sure what they are calling environment interaction is that,looks more like just an emote triggering some mobs to spawn.IDK does it look very well done for the immersion factor?

IMO the narrator is really stretching to make things sound better than they really are.

MOST important part is that their so called DYNAMIC events,are really just npc's waiting to trigger a quest with a green marker over their heads.

hi level thief

Ok here we have thief using guns,notice she doesn't seem to miss at all.So narrator is trying to convey about strategic combat with the dodging,yet the player is never missing a shot,kinda counterproductive if you never miss.I find again the red and yellow hue around targeting really ruins the immersion and looks bad.

Infidel !

Jokes aside, i agree with you on one thing and it has been bugging me since GW2 vids rolled out and that is the target selection glow. It does indeed take away the immersion aspect, atleast for me.

I just hope that feature can be tunned once the game comes out.

Common consensus seems to be that the fight with the giant wurm was bugged. You can see that its health bar isn't empty when it dies.

Well that makes me feel better about that. I assumed there must have been something wrong but hadn't seen that video, or any associated discussion before.

Well that makes me feel better about that. I assumed there must have been something wrong but hadn't seen that video, or any associated discussion before.

The game is in the pre-alpha to alpha stages. There are bound to be bugs and just about everything will be subject to change.

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406

OP all the things you dislike about the game are things I like about it. Like many have said to you and others like you, if you don't like the game then don't play it ignore it and move on. Don't try to start a discussion about why you don't like it with people. To me that's just trolling. There is no point in talking about a game that you have so much you dislike.

The game is in the pre-alpha to alpha stages. There are bound to be bugs and just about everything will be subject to change.

Hehe, you know I'm on GW2's side here, because everyone seems to be focussing on one negative comment? image

I think I just prefer to be a bit sceptical these days after so much failure in MMOs. Thanks for pointing out what I didn't know though.

Originally posted by Justin83x

OP all the things you dislike about the game are things I like about it. Like many have said to you and others like you, if you don't like the game then don't play it ignore it and move on. Don't try to start a discussion about why you don't like it with people. To me that's just trolling. There is no point in talking about a game that you have so much you dislike.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It would be nice if he didn't totally misinterpret the entire scope of the game, as he did. Those three videos did not show the entire scope of GW2, so for the OP to base his comments on that being the case lets him down.

You can never deny people from saying what they think about a game. Each and every game benefits from negative as well as positive discussion. ArenaNet have said that themselves in some of the developer conference videos. They have spoken of how they have people play testing their game, and they have made changes resulting from that perspective.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I have to admit that I'm not sure where your gripes are on this one.  The only one I can kind of agree with is the cheesiness of the opening movie.  However, I can understand why they would have done it that way as it would be pretty difficult to have a movie made up for every possiblity of character creation.  I think the movie still beats the write up of  "here's your character, here's where they're from, here's what they like, etc."  I'd rather watch the movie.

As for complaining about the graphics, I can only say the following:

1. It's not a finished game yet, I would wait until the game actually comes out as a finished product before passing judgement on that.

2. When the devs are showing this stuff, it's set up (detail level, etc.) to make it a quick example of what you may see.  At this point, it seems they are worried more about showing us how the game works as opposed to how great it may eventually look.

3. As far as I could see, the graphics level and the amount of things going on in the world was just as good as WoW, or LoTRO (the two games I'm most familiar with besides GW) - and this is not a finished product.

4. As for the outlines around the NPCs, what else are they going to do?  They have to mark them in some way or else even the most experienced gamers will get lost.  I actually think the outlines beat the red or green circles around their feet.  This gripe may just be more an opinion question than anything else though.

As for what you're saying about the dynamic events, like was mentioned before, what they showed was not the dynamic event system, it was the personal story to start the game.

As for your complaint about the Thief video, once again, these are videos that are set up just to show what can be done, I would expect the actual gameplay to be at least slightly different.

Take what I say here with a grain of salt as I am admittedly a GW fanboy, but I think I've looked at these issues with an objective mind while allowing for the fact that the game isn't finished yet.  I have been disappointed before, but I think that GW2 will end up being a great game (if not the greatest) and I think Anet has the ability to pull it off.

See you all in Tyria!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

lol I couldn't even get past the first sentence.  It's like hey everybody, I'm here to give you my comments about this game so that you can pass judgment on it.  Right, because you're comments are right as rain and you're the expert on all things Guild Wars 2.

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

starting character

Entering game

hi level thief

K, I'll try to counter. :)

Starting Character...

Personally I like the cinematics. It is true, they are going for an artsy "painterly" look. Of course, there are people who prefer a realistic look, so this one is entitled as opinion. This is not nearly a flaw within the game, it is more just a taste. Also, you claim to have seen this opening many time... but there are just about NO mmorpg with an intro. Most mmo's start you off with no backstory, and no history. So how do you find out what's been recently going on in other mmo's? You have to read a starter quest that has a good 2-4 paragraphs. Personally, I read enough book as it is, I don't want much reading in my games... I mean, you may not care about story, but if someone were to read that cinematic instead of watching it, that's already starting off bad. Also, the whole point of character creation is that you DO have control of your character. You answer a profile-ish biography. That is already more control of your character than other mmo's, so I dont see why you mentioned not liking suprises.

Entering Game...

Characters have been stated a long time ago to be low-poly. Both GW1 and GW2 were specifically designed for low-poly counts. The reason is that since this is B2P, sales will be a vey important part of this game's life. A good way to get many players is to make sure it can run on many machines. The actually mentioned they run it on an 8600 gts, which is no longer sold in stores. So while the game may not suit to your realistic needs, you have to admit, that's an incredible feat to run it on an 8600 gts.

Environment interaction. Guess you haven't seen other gameplay videos except this one? We've seen guys picking up buckets to put out fires. Some guy picking up bee hives to throw at an enemy. We've even seen a player mount a catapult to attack a dragon.

Dynamics don't trigger only on NPCs. This leads me to believe you are either trolling or just not informed. Actually, in the many videos I watched, I can correctly say that only a handful are triggered by an NPC. I believe you are referring to a scout, or a personal story character. Scouts point out the landscape and sort of give you a "tour" of the area. Personal characters only affect your personal story, which is a different aspect than dynamic events.

High Level Thief...

I've seen dodging used to evade pojectiles, and swings. I've also seen enemies get hit because they were in front of the actual target. So projectiles don't just fly to the target... they've used the havok engine to show that if something gets in the way, it gets in the way.

End...

But seriously, when you look at what other SUBSCRIPTION mmo's have to offer, compared to what GW2 will be offering, does it matter if the graphics aren't realistic? Does it matter if you don't like the 2 minute intro? I mean, does ANY MMO look realistic, because I can tell you none of them looke like Crysis or Battlefield 3.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I'll just touch on what i thought of the dialog (aka the story telling aspect)

First off i do like they have Voice overs, while not the best i really think it's a good thing for Voice overs to be in game.

Sadly thats about the only thing i do like about it.

My biggest problems are following

First off, the moves they do are extremely repetative.

Second, The voice over while nice tends to come off bland.

Thirdly they lack emotion, a forced voice doesn't make them angry.

Theres lack of emotion in the character models themselves.

I do not like that background. Sorry but that just feels weird to me

At least in the one linked you had absolutely no choice in that quest, you had to take that quest, and do it the way your told.  Maybe it was that one quest but it was the one i saw.

Generally it looks nice and is an over all improvement over the generic quests being given and it's possible i'm spioled by a certain companies games when it comes to these things, but i sadly wasn't impressed.

Of course it's a work in progress so i won't judge my want of the game just yet, but i'm not impressed with the quest dialog so far.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

I just want to share this video 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9islzvmbe8&feature=related... 

and the videos you shared just made me more excited. All I can say is at least this game doesn't look abysmal like every other mmo. :)