Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And the next console MMO will be...

Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Dungeon Fighter Online

No... Really....

.... I'm not kidding.

It's going to be on XBox Live Arcade. Considering Microsoft's stance on XBox Live games, I can honestly say that I didn't see this one coming.

Comments

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

You mean its not FFXI?

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

You mean its not Phantasy Star Online?

• yarubpupyarubpup Member UncommonPosts: 33

I thoght Phantasy Star Online was the first?

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

{mod edit}  you could play FFXI on the PS2, like 8 years ago.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

I don't know that Phantasy Star Online really qualifies as a MMORPG. It's multiplayer for sure, but that's about it.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by ironhelix

I don't know that Phantasy Star Online really qualifies as a MMORPG. It's multiplayer for sure, but that's about it.

It's about as much an MMORPG as some other games that call themselves MMORPGs nowadays, to be fair. :)

... and hey, it's online, and an (action) RPG.

It's an MMORPG for sure.  (Mildly multiplayer online RPG)

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

PSO for sure. Those were good times :) The Dreamcast was way ahead of its time. One of the best consoles ever made imho.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Originally posted by Meowhead

It's about as much an MMORPG as some other games that call themselves MMORPGs nowadays, to be fair. :)

... and hey, it's online, and an (action) RPG.

It's an MMORPG for sure.  (Mildly multiplayer online RPG)

Close enough! And it was released in 2000. FFXI was released in 2002. I know because I checked the Internetz.

But who knows... Maybe Dungeon Fighters Online will be the first. I'm certainly open minded about the possibility.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Foomerang

PSO for sure. Those were good times :) The Dreamcast was way ahead of its time. One of the best consoles ever made imho.

So many great games that never got updated like they should have been.  :T  I still think a Shenmue style MMORPG would be amazing if done right.  Though that's a LOT of dead fathers.

I was so crankily disappointed in PSU, but I'm hoping PSO2 ends up being amazing enough to make up for it.  It's computer only, which is an interesting decision on Sega's part, since I usually don't think of them as a computer game making company.

PSO was really great for its time.  I have a friend who said that he used to think PSO sucked when he played it, but after playing so many MMOs that came out after it, and realizing how he preferred so many of PSO's design decisions, he later decided he just didn't appreciate it properly while he had it good.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Meowhead

Originally posted by Foomerang
    So many great games that never got updated like they should have been.  :T  I still think a Shenmue style MMORPG would be amazing if done right.  Though that's a LOT of dead fathers.
    I was so crankily disappointed in PSU, but I'm hoping PSO2 ends up being amazing enough to make up for it.  It's computer only, which is an interesting decision on Sega's part, since I usually don't think of them as a computer game making company.
    PSO was really great for its time.  I have a friend who said that he used to think PSO sucked when he played it, but after playing so many MMOs that came out after it, and realizing how he preferred so many of PSO's design decisions, he later decided he just didn't appreciate it properly while he had it good.

Indeed, I was looking forward to Shenmue Online as well. Then it got cancelled. PSU was awful. Ive been keeping my eye on PSO2. I will say that the telepipes in that game worked for me. It made sense that travel was instant since you were going from a space station down to a planet heh.
  • Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Yeah, I remember FFIX and PSO and even Everquest Online Adventures. The title was meant to draw attention to the thread.

The actually pay off was the fact that a free to play Nexon game is going to be released as a free download on XBox Live Arcade AND the whole thing will run by an item mall. The fact that Microsoft is cool with this has got to be a sign of the apocalypse.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Well....supposedly The Secret World is being made for PC and XBOX, but FunCom has promised something similar before and not come through with it.  However....I'm pretty sure there has already BEEN a console MMO.  Maybe someone needs to do a bit of research on that. :)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

PSO

Everquest Online Adventures

FFXI

DCUO

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

OKAY I changed the name of the thread already!!!

<huff.... huff... huf....>

Can we please get back to the subject of a free to play Nexon gaming being released on the most MMO unfriendly service known to man? Please?

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Some of you might be talking about PSO, others about PSU.. I never played PSO but many PSU players said PSO was far far superior.

The only thing that I miss about that game was the way to avoid almost any damage was to dodge it.. Not a hit table or other such bizarre thing, but move out of the way.

FFXIV is supposed to be coming to PS3 but it may well be a single player game at that point...

...one guy still subscribed.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

DCUO was on PS3 two months ago

FreeRealms is due on PS3 next week

http://www.destructoid.com/free-realms-and-its-pink-ponies-coming-to-ps3-on-march-29-196288.phtml

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Streets of Rage Online!

I jizzed my pants :/

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

...Crap, like anything designed for consoles.

• Akarn1007Akarn1007 Member Posts: 47

There are talks of a new mmorpg called Drylor which will be on computer as well as console. I can't find much when googling it though, it must still be in the really early ages of produciton

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

You have a lobby you can walk around  where 100 players can chat and team up for party but when you enter gameworld its max 4 players and its more like a hack and slash game small maps follow path to boss.

Orignally designed for Sega Dreamcast. Good game but no mmorpg.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.