Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 huge disappointment

Comments

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by Otakun

What are you even talking about? If you want to butt into people's arguments then try not to make up crap for attention, 4chan reject.

First, grow up and get some manners. Then learn to give constructive comments without being ignorant. After that we can talk.

Eat me!

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Zeroxin

So... you think GW2 is a minimal improvement on the traditional MMO?

uhh ... yeah cause it is.

Lol no need to get so defensive. Was only trying to figure out your opinion. If you think it is that's fine.

This is not a game.

• KaledusKaledus Member Posts: 73

At this point, I would say that Otakun is pretty much grabbing at straws.

Technically, when a whole "general MMO forum board", including some of the more intelligent users find little sense in someone's argument, it should be a clear sign to quit while you are ahead. xD

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Have you seen any of the videos? Quests are still in the game, they just call them "Personal Quests" and act like they are different. Plus replacing more quests with Public Quest  .. oh I mean "Dynamic Events" isn't innovative. They took an idea from Warhammer and tried to based a game around it instead of making it apart of normal gameplay. Not innovative in any way, they just limit ways you can level.

Well first off the personal quests are different; they are all part of your story that change and shape your home instance. So in other words ever choice you make has consequences that is nothing like the quests in most of the MMOs out right now; hence they are different.

As for the Dynamic Events being nothing new I would quote myself, maybe I will get one you guys to actually answer my question with proof. One can Hope! :)

"OK you both say Dynamic Events are nothing new. OK I want proof to back up what you just said! In the Pax east panel and the PAX GW2 event panel (the 10 videos listed on the right side of the youtube page I have linked) they give a clear idea of how they are developing Dynamic Events. So please watch both videos so we both know what exactly I am posting about.

In the GW2 event panel fans get to design a Dynamic Event; the Event chain stretches the whole zone, and has many different events that tie in and trigger off of other events that are happening, from a shaman summoning a storm, to an elder dragon minions messing up Vigil bases and impacting the battle with the shaman.

In the Pax East Panel they talk about a Dynamic Event where Centaurs attack a town, if players do not beat the Centaurs take over the town. Then another events starts, where the Centaurs from the town send out guys to cut down trees, so they can fortify the town and build siege weaponry, to protect their new outpost. If players do not stop the Centaurs then another event starts off where the Centaurs send out raiding parties to capture other towns. 

So with both examples I have provided in mind can you link me a video to another MMO where events dynamically set off other events based on player interaction? Can you link me to a video to another MMO where a zone is constantly dynamically changing as events trigger other events that affect the whole zone?  Can you link me to another MMO that has this design in game right now? Can you link me a video to another MMO where I could possible go through a zone with a alt and not see the same event twice?  If you cannot link this proof, how is this nothing new? So Otakun it is time for you to put your money where your mouth is and provide proof (that means the game you linked must have everything the DEs in GW2 has), idle talk is not good enough! :)

So again watch the PAX east panel and the PAX west event panel where they talk about DEs, then come and say it is like every other MMO and is nothing new. Then bring proof to back up what you are saying! Have a nice day!"

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by CookieTime

What are you even talking about? If you want to butt into people's arguments then try not to make up crap for attention, 4chan reject.

First, grow up and get some manners. Then learn to give constructive comments without being ignorant. After that we can talk.

No, First, mind your own business and then go off and play with yourself instead of acting superior. Learn to read my previous posts before acting like you know me by reading one post made to someone with less intelligence then you.

I did read your previous posts and I strongly disagree like the majority here. Also, if you find ONE preview of any magazine or site that says GW2 is just "an updated clone of modern MMOs" and brings absolutely nothing new to the MMO genre, then I'll congratulate you.

And I don't need to know you to recognise insults.

Eat me!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by GPrestige

I played this game called Guild Wars 2 and it is so bad guys you don't want to try it. Also I'm from the future.

Seems a lot of people are from the future,even ones claiming it will be a great game.

As to the comments...

I do enjoy dodging,it is what made UT99 a great game.

Unprecedented travel,well i agree on this point,it is more than obvious that A-Net is trying to create as easy and less grind as possible ,so people are not on 24/7 eating up their profits.This is why i detest f2p or cash shop games,i want the real game that the devs really meant it to be,not some flushed out design to save money.Not a secret since they made GW1 basically an instanced game for the same reason,they just needed a different take to save money this time around.

So far i am indifferent on the whole game,just  too early,,mechanics/ideas that sound good on paper may not work in real and same for things that look bad ,might end up being good.There is just too many games right now to give a real impression on this one ,maybe when it is closer to launch and we see some actual beta footage or play it ourselves.

I will say this,if i see another game using chidish markers over the npc's heads ,basically telling me to go there and lead me in some linear fashion of a quest treadmill,i will logout of that game almost instantly and delete it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Littlebomb

Class combo's aren't new? What other game has those?

Final Fantasy XI has had a Job and Subjob system in it since launch. There are other games with similar setups. The first GW actually has a main and sub class system as well.

It's not a new idea, but it's also not commonly seen.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by WSIMike

Final Fantasy XI has had a Job and Subjob system in it since launch. There are other games with similar setups. The first GW actually has a main and sub class system as well.

Actually I don't think he is talking about cross professions. I believe he is talking about abilities from different professions/classes that provide different effects when used in conjunction (i.e. ranger firing arrows through a fire wall that was setup by the elementalist to provide fire arrows).

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Wether or not GW2 will be a disappointment I can't say. As others have said it's not released yet.

I do have however think that some GW2 fans are setting themselves up for disappointment. There's only so much hype that's healthy. If you build this game up to divine proportions in your imagination then you're really leaving it no option at all but to disappoint.

I know for certain that GW2 will have flaws, as all games have. If you go in expecting to find none then no matter how great GW2 is it will still feel like a disappointment.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Just watchin, with popcorn.

BTW, Guild Wars 2 is teh l33tzorz.

Watch any gameplay video and you'll notice these things:

1) Voice Overs are not noticeable at best. Even with cutscenes in the game, it's just like... well having a narrator.

2) Draw distance? Really? Ah well, good thing I don't care about a half-mile draw distance. Because that is plenty for me, especially when I can see a mass of mobs in the distance in the video YOU showed me.

3) Teleporting to waypoints in a PvE environment, haven't we seen slower flight paths in the past? On top of going to your bind point? On top of actual Teleportation spells from certain classes? I don't know about you but roughly every Dynamic Event I have seen has been populated. That's all I can about, is that I'll be playing with other people - sometimes dozens of people at a time and that is a LOT more than I can say about any MMO to date, especially SWTOR (Just because it was your example <3)

4) So action combat is bad? I guess you prefer the old tried and true "Stand still and cast 1, mash 222222, quick! hit 3! Repeat" instead of "Dodge the Fireball! Start casting one of your own! Dodge the incoming ball of energy! Oh crap AoE! Shield!" Seems like the more action approach of Guild Wars 2 is my preferred poison. If you prefer the old 12345 builds from most games, that's all you - you won't find many people that agree with you on a game that is actually looking to change the formula

5) Sure a version of Dynamic events have been playing out. Not THESE dynamic events, not on this scale, and not in this fashion. Refute it if you want, but you'll find that if you watch any gameplay vids with structure and not just a guy running around cluelessly... You'll see that its pure fun in PvE. Fun, think about that.

6) PvP is going to be awesome, any arguement otherwise is all about player taste. That is all it boils down to.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by arenasb

Actually I don't think he is talking about cross professions. I believe he is talking about abilities from different professions/classes that provide different effects when used in conjunction (i.e. ranger firing arrows through a fire wall that was setup by the elementalist to provide fire arrows).

That does sound unique, but I still don't see it as a step forward, or am I mistaken that GW2 leans more heavily towards fantasy combat.
  • DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

To all the people in the middle of this thread complaining about teleporting and how it will make the world feel small or empty.

You all do remember that the way you progress in this game is to do dynamic events, right?  So as long as there are people playing on the server you should see people participating in the events.

Also teleporting will make you miss many events happening in the world, so I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that teleporting to a waypoint will probably be mostly used to meet up with friends before going ount exploring, or getting to an area of the world that has an event going on that you want to participate in.

There will always be people around doing the events, unless your server simply does not have enough people playing.  That has nothing to do with being able to teleport to waypoints though.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by thinktank001

Originally posted by arenasb

That does sound unique, but I still don't see it as a step forward, or am I mistaken that GW2 leans more heavily towards fantasy combat.

So you would rather have combat isolated to each player? I think it's a great idea personally. I've seen it in limited capacity in some single player games but never in an mmo. It's another way to promote team play rather than solo hero play.

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

I've been away from these Forums for quite a while, And really Im supprised there arent more troll posts on Gw2, I guess anet's style is paying off.

Now, anyone who has doubts of the use of the teleportation and the lack of mounts; thats personal preference, which your entitled to, but be sure to not finalize your opinion untill after release, or you might potentially miss out on a good experience.  

While I do my best to find out as much as I can about Guild Wars 2 for my own interest, I dont think Im really prepared to give explinations to someone who wishes to have a bias view point. All I can really ask, is that the OP refrain from making arguments, and negative statements about a game that has yet to comeout yet.

Not to say he isnt entitled to his own opinion, but to those who are interested in the game, this kind of negativity can really missinform viewers. If you really wanted to have a discussion on the things that frustrated you, you would pose them as questions, and allow the general public to explain with reasoning why your views are either misinformed, correct, or disputable based on opinion.

Anything less of that just breeds more negativity and is potentially harmful to others more easily swayed in and out of their own views. 

That being said, I love the company making this game. And as an optomist Im willing to put some faith into this company that they will make GW2 a very, very fun game : )

Remember everyone, no matter how much negativity your game gets, if you find it apealing and potentially fun, then dont let it go untill afte release, and You yourself know without a shadow of a doubt that it was worth it or not.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Ablestron

That being said, I love the company making this game. And as an optomist Im willing to put some faith into this company that they will make GW2 a very, very fun game : )

Remember everyone, no matter how much negativity your game gets, if you find it apealing and potentially fun, then dont let it go untill afte release, and You yourself know without a shadow of a doubt that it was worth it or not.

This...GW2 IS going to be fun (yeah...a fun MMO...whodathunk?)

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219

A few thing that can learn from WoW is that...you don't have to be innovative to be successful.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Something I have yet to see brought up in response to why "not fast travel" throughout these 15 pages is simple.

Gathering nodes. There is no race to be the first to grab that rare spawn, if you happen to see it, its yours, no one else can take it from you. Sure you can warp about all day everyday between towns and outposts you've found, but then you'll miss out on resources used for crafting. You can gather anything, there is no "craft" restriction on that.

As for Teleportation itself, its a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Without it, people are going to be stuck running 20-30 minutes just to find one NPC. Can you imagine having to run all the way back to Marhan's Grotto, or Temple of Ages in Guild Wars 1 each and every time you wanted to go raid Underworld or get a new set of Prestiege armor? Or having to run from Lion's arch to the Crevice, from there all the way up to the Eye of the North?

At the same time, we get this. The issues of "no one being around", of "empty fields" and the like. Truth is, its a necessary part of MMOs with a world larger than a couple of instanced maps ala City of Heroes, Champions, or the variety of other MMOs. And so far, I don't remember ever hearing they weren't going to add mounts into the game.

I'm not going to bother getting into responding to the trollish post of the OP, he wasn't looking for a discussion, he just wanted to wave his tiny e-peen about in our faces by being the "maverick".

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Travelling in WoW:

Hey, come help me with this quest.

OK, afk while on gryphon...

Travelling in GW2

Hey, come help me with this event

OK, one sec... let's go!

Oderint, dum metuant.

• yogiftwyogiftw Member Posts: 28

Okay for those people who are confused. Those hating on it before it even go beta. and for those who havent seen these videos from PAX EAST 2011. The GW2 Panel explains a lot of questions.....First of all Let the game come out and experience it yourself then make asumptions.. Your own openion is your own no one really cares for it... In the video the panel explains a lot of stuff .. i dont really know why one would hate on this game... watch this and the rest of the parts to it and see if it changes your mind...

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by BlahTeeb

Originally posted by Mad-E-Fact

Wait, are you saying GW2 combat is completely reflex based? I haven't looked into the mechanics much, but that would kinda suck. Not looking forward to playing an action game.

Depends on what you mean by reflex. It's not going to require reflexes like an FPS. It's just more interactive.

It's not really. It's just bit different since there is no taunts, aggro isn't typical bar system and there is more "oh shit" skill. Anet never has claimed its interactive.

There is still auto attack. But projectiles must hit a target. So if the target steps out of the way while the projectile is incoming, it will miss. Same with melee.

This is pretty much same as all current games. No you can't dodge arrows, you need to use "dodge" skill. It's not same as FPS has which is true dodging. All ranged is calculated same way as games are doing now. Again people seem to miss dodging with real dodging.

AoEs and such are ground targeted. To block, you must raise your shield in the form of a skill or something similar. Flames impacting a shield will deflect and fluster around the shield. This is due to the Havok engine. You cannot target your ally when using support skills. You have to find them, and cast accordingly.

Haven't seen any videos that would go against this or confirm this.

I wouldn't call it an action game. You won't be clicking to attack. You'll just have to aim the majority of the skills. You will however, have to keep a keen eye ON the battlefield and OFF your skill bar.

No you don't. Don't make it sound like FPS because it's not. You still have auto target for ranged and melee just like any other game. You still need to look skill bars and "mana" bars so you can use best possible skills for situation.

Also, it won't be a dodge-fest. In the current state, dodging drains up a lot of your energy, maybe more than any other skill right now. Dodging leads to exhuastion pretty quickly. I think we have it charted at 10-15 dodges will comsume your energy bar. That along with actually usage of skills... maybe just a handful of dodges before you run dry. Of course there are still skills to help maintain energy.

Again look videos. Only rogue can do 10 dodges per fight, others are limited to as little as 4. Dodging is more like "oh shit it's attacking me" style skill, most games are full of those nowdays. The point is quickly move away and hope some other player gets aggro.

So GW2 won't be like God of War. But it won't be like WoW. More like... God of WoW.

Closest thing that GW2 combat reminds is AoC. They ditched "aiming" thing to make combat more moving and finger friendly, but other than that it's not FPS MMO like Mortal Online or some others.

GW2 has lot of good decisions that might have huge impact on next generation games, combat dying, all can res, working together rather than against, more evolved PQ system, etc. Biggest grief I have is fanbois making up stuff or waving some Powerpoint to show how great it's gonna be. Mortal Online had great powerpoint presentation, yet it turned up as pile of vomit.

And on OP. Yes there is some weirdness in foliage drawing, but otherwise it looks pretty damn good. Art work quality reminded FFXIV in many actual gameplay videos I seen. VO system looks pretty horrible but I guess it's part of personal quests only. And teleports do suck and mounts are cool thing but again it makes gameplay easier and less boring, double edged sword situation.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

@Sasami

There is no auto target for melee, you just swing your sword and if the enemy is within range then you hit him. Also both melee and ranged can do all their spells at will even with no target (like a ranger shoot an arrow in the air).

• Mad-E-FactMad-E-Fact Member Posts: 70

Well that sounds a lot like AoC. You can dodge or sprint that drains your fatigue bar, you have active blocking, you have shields that you can adjust, weapons have an arc that hits whatever is in it. Most of the stuff is for pvp though, you get through the normal game just fine without it.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

u know what i hope? that people who got into beta can have the installed guild wars 2 game and account and yust have the game for free in fact  :D :D if that would happen i would kill for an place in beta XD

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by Sfaliara

@Sasami

There is no auto target for melee, you just swing your sword and if the enemy is within range then you hit him. Also both melee and ranged can do all their spells at will even with no target (like a ranger shoot an arrow in the air).

Having ability to hit air isn't really positive thing, there is lot of annoyance related to this like lag, lack of player collision and strafe combat syndrome(2 players trying to out circle each other). Besides in demo there was situation where Thief used ability and it said something like "Out of range"(unless I'm mixing again, PAX demo), he did have target on that time so atleast you won't be wasting good attacks. But if thats true why treat melee differently?

Didn't EQ or some other game had ranger class with FPS mode. I would imagine if you can shoot freely it would have different viewmode, which I haven't seen demoed. Anyways the combat isn't FPS style even if it's possible to shoot untarget, which ofc begs question why on earth would you want to do that? It's useless.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Sasami

Originally posted by Sfaliara

@Sasami

Having ability to hit air isn't really positive thing, there is lot of annoyance related to this like lag, lack of player collision and strafe combat syndrome(2 players trying to out circle each other). Besides in demo there was situation where Thief used ability and it said something like "Out of range"(unless I'm mixing again, PAX demo), he did have target on that time so atleast you won't be wasting good attacks. But if thats true why treat melee differently?

Didn't EQ or some other game had ranger class with FPS mode. I would imagine if you can shoot freely it would have different viewmode, which I haven't seen demoed. Anyways the combat isn't FPS style even if it's possible to shoot untarget, which ofc begs question why on earth would you want to do that? It's useless.

On the converse side without it means movement is totally and utterly useless, all projecticles are homing missiles that can't be dodged. Player interaction is almost nonexistant as the same set of botoms are used in repetition with little to no variety. Essentially the game plays itself and you don't even need to be their.