Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I sense great fear"

rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332

With each passing month and fridays we get more and more updates of the game. Which is both exciting and scary at the same time. One thing I'm noticing (Dunno if this has been discussed before) is that it looks like to be 4 people to a group. On flash points atleast and seems tthat way for a battleground too. Looks like 4 vs 4 on an objective? I know its beta. Classes seem like they can go in a bunch of directions from their talents (or skill trees) and other things which is very nice. And I did hear they will discuss some raiding. but 4 people to a group seems kinda low to me. With my friends and I we are gonna have to struggle to change people in and out with groups while trying to do missions and flash points.  Having 2 of the same class in a 4 man group could hinder the group. It would be just a waste.... and some of the battlegrounds that we have seen is only 4 vs 4 in a big huge open area.

Has anyone gotten any word if this is a set thing with only 4 people to a group? Again I understand its still in beta. I just don't know if this has been discussed anywhere.

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

I think its safe to say that there will be some flashpoints that will only require 4 people to a group,  but that larger groups are definitely a possibility especially in PvP, and raids.

Also, with the system in place,  it will never be pointless to have two of the same class in a group, especially if those two are spec'd for something different.  Like a smuggler can do 3 different things if you want them to, so having one being a healer and another DPS would be good,  of a rogue class + backup support could also be possible.

I think we'll need more information on larger groups from BioWare before we come to any conclusions.  I think a 4 man group could likely be standard for many missions,  but for the open world bosses and things of that nature I'd expect two full 8 man raids or more to take on some of those..... but we'll have to wait and see.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Classes look to be a lot more versatile compared to many existing games. I can only see it being easier to find a full group for a four man dungeon compared to having to find five. Also a fifth less occurances of "OMG Wait a min gusy, brb. My mom accidentily my hamster!"  etc.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Warfronts that are currently shown are 8vs8.

4 players is one group. I personally like this, it's easier to feel outnumbered by enemies and easier to form a group overall.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

For me personally I started fearing something bad may be fundamentally wrong with the game.  IDK but it seems it might be missing something that MMORPGS have - some sort of DnD element (like some crazy mad game master in control of your destiny to some degree - then I think of minimally successful games like Guild Wars and I think everything will be alright.

I want to own property too

• VegasGamblerVegasGambler Member Posts: 34

I certainly don't imagine everything being a 4 person group.  They have confirmed world-bosses will take more than 2 groups in most cases.  That said... 4 is easier to find and less people to roll on the loot so it should be a win/win if everyone knows the role of the character.  Less room for errors, so it will show if you don't know what you are doing... other than that for simple grouping activities 4 is fine by me.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

I like the idea of 4 people to a group.  If sociological research can be believed, 4 is actually the optimal number for stable social relations in a group of people.  With 3, you are likely to have a duo relationship form which excludes the third, (making them feel like the "third wheel"), and with 5 it begins to get harder to form bonds in a short amount of time (evidenced by the fact that most WoW instanced groups, even the ones that talk at all, will usually have at least one person that never talks).

Unless there is some kind of arena-like BG, it'll be 8v8 and up for structured pvp, probably.  Raids will also be at least 8 up to 20 I believe.  World bosses will probably also take 8.  The only downside I can see logistically is that it will demand a greater number of tanks and healers proportional to dps in order to meet the demands of flashpoint groups, because there will be one more dps left out.  However, it may not be as bad as projected - if you've ever played WoW and sat in the dungeon finder queue, it always seems to be that third dps that the whole group is waiting on to start the dungeon.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by gamer1982o39

I think of minimally successful games like Guild Wars and I think everything will be alright.

lol minimally successful

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by rygar218

With each passing month and fridays we get more and more updates of the game. Which is both exciting and scary at the same time. One thing I'm noticing (Dunno if this has been discussed before) is that it looks like to be 4 people to a group. On flash points atleast and seems tthat way for a battleground too. Looks like 4 vs 4 on an objective? I know its beta. Classes seem like they can go in a bunch of directions from their talents (or skill trees) and other things which is very nice. And I did hear they will discuss some raiding. but 4 people to a group seems kinda low to me. With my friends and I we are gonna have to struggle to change people in and out with groups while trying to do missions and flash points.  Having 2 of the same class in a 4 man group could hinder the group. It would be just a waste.... and some of the battlegrounds that we have seen is only 4 vs 4 in a big huge open area.

Has anyone gotten any word if this is a set thing with only 4 people to a group? Again I understand its still in beta. I just don't know if this has been discussed anywhere.

You should be happy;

The Bioware approach means;

• Proper community will form

• It will not be all about guilds

• People can succed with small groups of friends

This makes it a refreshing change Batttlegrounds will be 8v8 and I am sure there will be some raid content but it appears Bioware have something special in mind end game wise which is hopefully no end game.

Large Persistant Worlds; RPG Elements and Storyline;Community gameplay and fun sounds pretty good to me as long as they stay away from pathetic guilds ruining the general game they seem to be doing this so for me all looks great.

Bioware are going to put the fun back into MMOs and I can't wait.

This game will be what it is do not try to shoehorn it into your utopian view ; the result will always end in dissapointment (well nearly always).

The smaller group will make it much easier to create challenging scenarios. Less sit at the back heroes.