Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

READ : The Rift / World of Warcraft/Warhammer/Etc Comparison Thread

Comments

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

Originally posted by tepthtanis

I'm very tired of this...I keep arguing with ppl and Mmorpg keeps letting me come back... Just permaban me please. Just do it!!!

Okay!  My favorite game is Oblivion... Lots of mods... My favorite mod is Vllja... Playing Rift is like playing with my mom... Who the hell wants to play with thier Mom??? Like eating nails!!! 

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

I'm very tired of this...I keep arguing with ppl and Mmorpg keeps letting me come back... Just permaban me please. Just do it!!!

Okay!  My favorite game is Oblivion... Lots of mods... My favorite mod is Vllja... Playing Rift is like playing with my mom... Who the hell wants to play with thier Mom??? Like eating nails!!! 

Permaban Tepthtanis!

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

All these games are knock offs of Dungeons & Dragons. There, I just saved you hours of useless posting and debate time.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

Originally posted by Erstok

All these games are knock offs of Dungeons & Dragons. There, I just saved you hours of useless posting and debate time.

Nope... Warhammer is older than D&D...

Warhammer is the original version of the modern game. Us versus them...Humanity versus a new race... Orcs.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I love Oblivion...just as much as i love Rift...i really don´t understand why Rift is like offending some of you when it is such a great Mmo...not probably what every ones WHISHES for 2011....but the best one so far.

Maybe some just feel attacked because they feel like they have to move from some place they have invested money and time over...... whatever....!!   o.O

Some games are coming along in the future...true...and we´ll see....

But at the moment Rift has been the BEST MMO launch in history so far and with the best critics around the world, and most are gamer critics.....word -to-mouth is the susscess and that means something....

Trion is working as good or even better than any publisher in the world . FAST.  Dealing with problems that most MMO still have even after 6 years from release....

I enjoy multiple-games and RIFT is for sure my TOP MMO at the moment.

U  r making it very difficult for me to get  permaband  Erstok! I'm tired of answering questions and just want to be sent away...

Originally posted by Zzad

I love Oblivion...just as much as i love Rift...i really don´t understand why Rift is like offending some of you when it is such a great Mmo...not probably what every ones WHISHES for 2011....but the best one so far.

Maybe some just feel attacked because they feel like they have to move from some place they have invested money and time over...... whatever....!!   o.O

Some games are coming along in the future...true...and we´ll see....

But at the moment Rift has been the BEST MMO launch in history so far and with the best critics around the world, and most are gamer critics.....word -to-mouth is the susscess and that means something....

Trion is working as good or even better than any publisher in the world . FAST.  Dealing with problems that most MMO still have even after 6 years from release....

I enjoy multiple-games and RIFT is for sure my TOP MMO at the moment.

Don't even mention Rift and Oblivion in the same breath.... Remember...I'm trying to get permabanned!

Oblivion and Rift r 2 totally different games...

Oblivion and Rift r 2 totally different games...

If ppl have to settle for rift as the creme dela creme of Mmos... we are screwed as a collective MMO society... That's all I'm going to say about rift.

• DreeterDreeter Member Posts: 6

"y DOTA or various mods or clones like LOL or HON. and for the RPG element play final fantasy 1-7 im sure that will challenge you,"

I created the first and orginal competitive dota clan.  I have played more dota than anyone period.  i have 2 level 30 lol accounts and i hate lol.  I think its a game for 10 year olds.  i have 2 hon accounts over 1900 psr and also both are over 1800 mmr.  I understand competiive gaming.  i have been playing fpss since delta force 1998 and red alert westwood ladder.  I played uo and AC the best mmo's ever made and honeslty there hasn't been anything close to AC mmo wise just Darkfall is close to it.  Darkfall just doesn't have the Dev team to polish it up and make it a truley epic game.  It's by far the best mmo on the market right now.. Anyone who plays WoW or rift is a kid who should be playing single player games, and realy they honestly dont' care about the competitive aspect of massive online games.    WoW appeals to single players gamers and casuals and thats why it succeeeds.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

What WoW has on RIFT?

Let's see what WoW did for this genre shall we?

It introduced questing. If it wasn't for WoW we would've most likely still be killing mobs to level up. WoW is the very first what people call themepark MMO. There were no MMOs like WoW before it. WoW changed the genre as a whole. Now every MMO and it's grandma are following the same formula WoW came up with.

RIFT seems to have done....hmmm...nothing! Lets check stats as well!

WoW at launch vs Rift at launch

1. WoW had more dungeons.

2. Raids are about the same number

3. WoW had a much much larger world than RIFT.

4. WoW had more quests than RIFT

Basically WoW had much more content than RIFT. Currently, WoW has so much more stuff in it compared to RIFT but then again it had 3 expansions. 

WoW changed a lot of things in the genre. It might have not reinvented the wheel but it revamped A LOT, a lot of features and adopted a casual philosophy which was not typical for MMOs before it. RIFT just copy pasted a lot of stuff from WoW and has some rifts thrown in ;)

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283

@fivroth

Everquest II launched over two weeks before World of Warcraft, and it *did* have questing, so you're stating a falsity there. Personally, I'm a little jaded with the current crop of new(er) releases, including DCUO and Rift, so I'm on a hiatus from playing MMOs for a while.

• VespuraVespura Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by fivoroth
    What WoW has on RIFT?
    It introduced questing. If it wasn't for WoW we would've most likely still be killing mobs to level up. WoW is the very first what people call themepark MMO. There were no MMOs like WoW before it. WoW changed the genre as a whole. Now every MMO and it's grandma are following the same formula WoW came up with.

It's obvious to me that you have NO idea what you're talking about. WoW ripped off ideas from other MMOs, and it was NOT the first one to have quests...

1. WoW had more dungeons
    Basically WoW had much more content than RIFT. Currently, WoW has so much more stuff in it compared to RIFT but then again it had 3 expansions. 
    Actually, Rift has much MUCH more features, and better graphics on top of that. 32 classes at launch, 6 races at launch vs. WoW's 2 races at launch and only a few classes. That should tell you one thing right there. And the reason they could have larger land, more quests, etc. is because they had worse graphics and less features. I could give you 100+ features RIFT currently has that WoW still doesn't have. I can give you only 3 things RIFT doesn't have that WoW does.
    WoW changed a lot of things in the genre. It might have not reinvented the wheel but it revamped A LOT, a lot of features and adopted a casual philosophy which was not typical for MMOs before it. RIFT just copy pasted a lot of stuff from WoW and has some rifts thrown in--Along with a multitude of other things you have yet to mention.

I just want to say, though, to those of you who were expecting RIFT be perfect from launch, from beta even!... You're a pack of idiots... A game will never be perfect from launch, or before it launches. There will always be bugs they need to fix. If you're honestly asking a game to be perfect with vast content and no issues that need to be resolved, you're simply asking too much of a game.

There is not a doubt in my mind that tells me that RIFT won't be successful. It will be a successful game, especially with all the hype and advertising. Now whether it will be a "WoW killer" or not, that's for time to tell, but chances are it won't be, but it WILL be successful.

And there is no such thing as a "WoW clone" or "WoW ripoff". WoW ripped of many other games, so really you can't rip off WoW. That would be saying Call of Duty ripped off Duck Hunt. We might as well say all MMOs ripped off the original Dungeons & Dragons.
    I'm literally laughing at all those who think WoW is an original game. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, it's just not unique in any way, shape, or form.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by Kovenant

This Games Pawns WOW.

Am I the only one laughing at this? Dunno but it made my day.. :D It should become a meme.

Eat me!

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by Vespura

Originally posted by fivoroth

What WoW has on RIFT?

It's obvious to me that you have NO idea what you're talking about. WoW ripped off ideas from other MMOs, and it was NOT the first one to have quests...

1. WoW had more dungeons

Actually, Rift has much MUCH more features, and better graphics on top of that. 32 classes at launch, 6 races at launch vs. WoW's 2 races at launch and only a few classes. That should tell you one thing right there. And the reason they could have larger land, more quests, etc. is because they had worse graphics and less features. I could give you 100+ features RIFT currently has that WoW still doesn't have. I can give you only 3 things RIFT doesn't have that WoW does.

WoW changed a lot of things in the genre. It might have not reinvented the wheel but it revamped A LOT, a lot of features and adopted a casual philosophy which was not typical for MMOs before it. RIFT just copy pasted a lot of stuff from WoW and has some rifts thrown in--Along with a multitude of other things you have yet to mention.

I just want to say, though, to those of you who were expecting RIFT be perfect from launch, from beta even!... You're a pack of idiot... A game will never be perfect from launch, or before it launches. There will always be bugs they need to fix. If you're honestly asking a game to be perfect with vast content and no issues that need to be resolved, you're simply asking too much of a game.

There is not a doubt in my mind that tells me that RIFT won't be successful. It will be a successful game, especially with all the hype and advertising. Now whether it will be a "WoW killer" or not, that's for time to tell, but chances are it won't be, but it WILL be successful.

And there is no such thing as a "WoW clone" or "WoW ripoff". WoW ripped of many other games, so really you can't rip off WoW. That would be saying Call of Duty ripped off Duck Hunt. We might as well say all MMOs ripped off the original Dungeons & Dragons.

I'm literally laughing at all those who think WoW is an original game. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, it's just not unique in any way, shape, or form.

WoW had 8 races and 9 classes each with 3 specs, at launch...lol. Don't bash someone for lack of knowledge when you clearly don't have it either.

I would like to see that list of 100 features. I bet I could show how wow has it too since you couldn't even get the basic wow knowledge down.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• VespuraVespura Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Drekker17

WoW had 8 races and 9 classes each with 3 specs, at launch...lol. Don't bash someone for lack of knowledge when you clearly don't have it either.

I was just going off what I have been told about the races, I didn't play since vanilla, so I wouldn't know, but I guess I was wrong about that then. Everything else I said was pretty accurate though. I tried to find info on it on the internet, but I couldn't find anything.

I would like to see that list of 100 features. I bet I could show how wow has it too since you couldn't even get the basic wow knowledge down.

Well, the original list had 100+, but a lot of it was opinionated, so I deleted them. A lot of these still are, but they make sense and are mostly facts. These aren't just features though, it's general really. Still, here you go.

1: AoE looting

2: Shinier graphics, generally more polished and better organized as well

3: Customizable UI out of the box

4: Rifts

5: Character customization is much better

6: Any class can do any role in a dungeon

7: The game will continue to get better as it expands.

8: No "Druid" shapeshift nerfs

9: Reclaiming materials from old gear

10. The talent system is mind-blowing (3 active classes/trees, 6 classes altogether)

11: Offensive healers

12: Good tree graphics

13: Smooth and diverse animations

14: Water actually looks like water

15: The map! It zooms!

16: Dances aren't all pop-culture references

17: One-click import for UI from character to character

18: Better lore (in my opinion)

19: Not limited to 1 talent tree

20: The game isn't full of idiots and 10 year olds

21: 32 classes

22: Invasions

23: Items you can buy to open rifts

24: Hearthstone doesn’t take an inventory slot

25: Support classes

26: Better racials, even if it's only 6, and they're not all fugly or bulky

27: 'Tis new and fresh

28: talent tree decision making (you need 31 points in a tree to get to the top, but you need 51 points (ie, one spec entirely) to acquire every spell that tree has to offer)

29: PvP only souls, which implies that balance between pve and pvp may wind up not impacting each other later on.

30: The beginner backpack has 20 slots

31: When one member enters an instance, other members get teleported in.

32: No elitists, because the game is brand new

33: Dungeons are harder and you actually have to think. Even the first 2 dungeons have tactics that will wipe you when people fail and are more difficult that cata heroics where at the start. They also have better loot inside.

34: Being able to do decent dps as a healer when the tank is fully hotted.

35: Public raid option for rifts.

36: Never needing more than 4 characters to enjoy every class aspect of the game.

37: The ability to stack items in units higher than 20.

38: Devs actually listen to community

39: Doesnt take 2 months to fix obvious problems

40: You can'y fly everywhere (+For me!)

41: World PvP

42: PvP Players have a loot table

43: Cleric tanking

44: Devs speak to us across our screens and are actually funny and engaging.

45: No gearscore

46: Fewer assholes

47: Feels more like an old school mmo than WoW's newer style

48: Dynamic cycle of dominant builds in pvp like in GW.

49: World is more dynamic and ever-changing

50: Weather cycles

51: Loads of wow fanboys will stay away (haters gonna hate)

52: More D&D high fantasy than steampunk comedy

53: Devs don't lie

54: Poisons stay on daggers until YOU swap them, no refresh every 60 mins

55: WoW looks like poop on low-end graphics, Rift still looks good

56: Faction Vendors in the big cities

57: Machines actually look realistic, and still leave a fantasy setting

58: Armor and weapons look more real than the WoW gear

59: Buyable blues for low levels

60: Get mounts in three different levels, lvl20, 40 and 50. 60%, 100% and 110%

61: The Rift elements will fight among them selfs (fire will attack water...ect) and can take over towns.

62: It's something different after almost 6 Years

63: Players will have to learn the fight as there will be no "deadly boss mods" addons (skill > addons)

64: Artifact collections > Archaeology and give ANY class epic gear!

65: Nightblades stealth does not last forever, it lasts 60 seconds and after you leave it its on a 10s CD.

66: You don't need to reroll classes if you don't like your class.

67: "Hunters" Can shoot in melee range

68: Sounds muffled underwater adds to realism.

69: The new Guild banner idea in rift is unreal, and I'm shocked wow devs have not thought about it to bring back world pvp and improve guilds.

70: No "gaps" in professions (name one crafted staff in WoW for example, archaeology doesn't count obviously)

71: The game setting is much like The Shattering (pre-cata event)

72: Taunts actually doing something in PvP

73: No unbalances between classes/no op'd classes

74: Able to put what stats you want on gear from the start of your profession.

75: Servers are not all the same. PvE servers actually change PvE, and PvP servers actually change PvP

76: Armor dyes

77: Exploration is awarded with artifacts and other hidden goodies

78: You won't get "uber gear" for less than "uber effort" (dev quote)

79: Level requirements have been removed from the previously-level 20 mounts. If you can get to them, and can afford them, you can use them. This includes the Collector's Edition turtle mount.

80: It's only just beginning so can only really improve if devs continue to listen to players.

81: Devs are actually trying to fight gold spammers/hackers/etc.

82: Related to 111. - lvl 1-9 chat can be turned off, basically the chat is broken down so that you can view only the character level you wish to view. Basically you can turn off low level Gold spammers and "Barrens" chat if the gold spammers get in by not using their bots.

83: Looting while mounted.

Attacking while mounted

84: Every zone has a ward boss you can summon if you can control all the wardstones.

85: Not as many retarded trolls that think their inept comments are rofltastico status.

86: The game is totally engaging right out of the gates, there is always something to do, it's fun, lively and all around.

87: All Endgame raids will be 20 man, no "easymode 10m" versions.

88: There is, however, specific 10m content

89: Loot is dynamically awarded based on your contribution to the group

90: Same Gear stats are used for both Caster clerics and Melee clerics. Spell stats are converted to Melee stats via the soul tree.

Spell crit = melee crit , spellpower = attack power, etc.

91: Horde vs. Alliance feel again.

92:Gods vs technology conflict in Rift, reflects real life well.

93: The players realize an MMORPG is a video game, not life.

94: DIVERSITY.

95: (Opinion) For me, it really sucked me in... I really got into my character and felt like I was HIM. It was pretty realistic. I still understood it was a game, unlike many people who play WoW, however, which is a good thing. This way, I don't feel like it's sucking my soul and I'm beginning to die as I play it.

Please understand however, I have only played a little bit of Rift beta, and I have yet to play the full game

• willvaswillvas Member Posts: 137

LOL both suck...

lets face it... they both are THEME PARK MMOs

start from point A... go to point Z... end of game.  they throw you a BG and a raid dungeon to keep you busy till they can pump out another expansion.

for simpler terms....

its the ole carrot tied to a string attached to a stick dangling in front of you.  you follow it where they dangle it.

rift is the same old thing.  doesnt matter how much less it has then WOW.. or how much this is different..

ITS THE SAME BUSINESS MODEL and SAME THEME PARK GAME. 

reach into those pocket books in about 6 months to a year for your new content so you wont be bored.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

These are just my first impressions but immediately logging into Rift, I could tell it was not like WoW in atmosphere at all. To me, 80% of what makes up a game is the game world itself and all of the flavors associated with it. One can just tell, looking at a screenshot of both games, that there is very little in common between the two games as far as the world goes. The art direction is completely different, the way the world is organised is different on many points, and the way the story is written into the game is different (the quests aren't the only way to learn about the story of the game, the puzzle quests, the hidden quests, etc.).

The UI is to my eyes the thing that is the most WoW-like about the game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and also one should keep in mind that this sort of UI is pretty much common to many MMOs and RPGs. Rift's UI is an improvement of the UI WoW ships with much like LotRO's was. I'd say that Rift actually borrowed more from LotRO than from WoW in some cases.

Many other elements of the game come from many different games: combat is pretty much a mix of DAoC, WoW, and EQ2, classes are also a mix of many other games with a few new elements thrown in (like the mage spell meter), tradeskills seem to have LotRO and WoW elements, collections and books are from EQ2, mob layout is more like WAR's or even one of the older MMOs, mob aggro and range is more like the older MMOs, etc.

The rifts are pretty new in the sense that the invasions that spawn from unchecked rifts can steamroll areas bringing a feeling of dynamics that other games don't really have. The closest was TR in that sense, but in TR you couldn't ever totally get rid of the mob spawns like you can in Rift. In WAR, PQs could be ignored, whereas in Rift, it's best not to ignore them.

Having the option of exploring, collecting artifacts and books, finding hidden quests, looking at an interesting game world mixed with some questing, PvP and rifting makes this game really compelling to me. Right out of the gate, Rift has more elements one can do than WoW has, and I hope that Trion will build on this.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by willvas

LOL both suck...

lets face it... they both are THEME PARK MMOs

start from point A... go to point Z... end of game.  they throw you a BG and a raid dungeon to keep you busy till they can pump out another expansion.

for simpler terms....

its the ole carrot tied to a string attached to a stick dangling in front of you.  you follow it where they dangle it.

rift is the same old thing.  doesnt matter how much less it has then WOW.. or how much this is different..

ITS THE SAME BUSINESS MODEL and SAME THEME PARK GAME. 

reach into those pocket books in about 6 months to a year for your new content so you wont be bored.

word

how are people so blind not to see this is just a huge copy / paste job of wow...are there really that many people looking for a wow with just a lil updated grafics? and i c see many people saying "well its polished" well.. im no fan boie of wow by any means..but yur saying wow isnt polished atm? and with the new patch comeing people are giveing the theampark / dungen finder soo much praise like its the next comeing of god...people plz..these things are the norm in mmo's now and have been for awhile ..some just look diff but still have the same results..finding you some tard that you had never met before and has no clue on how to be social or even how to play a mmo..end result..if it looks like a duck walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..its a duck ..people need to pull their heads out their arses and stop acting like this is the best mmo ever made..its far from it...if you enjoy it fine..great even ..but i enjoy pie but you dont see me throwing it in everyones face

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

You do realise the name Trion is also the name of part of the Arcatraz (for non-wow players this is a dungeon from the first world of warcaft expansion).

This should speak volumes about Rifts' makers original intent (conspiracy theory ahoy!).

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Lol @ Rift PvP that's all I've got to say.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I am enjoying Rift so far, but WoW has some type of magic that pulls me back to it.  I have subs for both of them.  Cant seem to let wow go for some reason.

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by Tyrantas

Lol @ Rift PvP that's all I've got to say.

I actually enjoy the pvp more in Rift then in WoW, but then again I play a sentinel cleric in pvp and get aided by teammates (and yes I do pug pvp) who come to my rescue from pesky rogues who think they can kill me :P

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Silverthorn8

You do realise the name Trion is also the name of part of the Arcatraz (for non-wow players this is a dungeon from the first world of warcaft expansion).

This should speak volumes about Rifts' makers original intent (conspiracy theory ahoy!).

Trion may refer to the following: Link.

Trion Worlds, Inc. was founded as Trion World Network by Lars Buttler and Jon Van Caneghem in 2006.

And I quote "At Trion, which Buttler and game designer Jon Van Caneghem founded in January 2006 <>"

Large companies like these don't come up with a company name overnight. It takes time and the name has to be backed by an appropriate marketing strategy.

Tempest Keep, The Arcatraz (with Stasis Block: Trion inside it) released with the Burning Crusade.

"World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (aka TBC), the first expansion for World of Warcraft, was announced on October 28th, 2005 and released on January 16th, 2007 in North America, Europe, and Australia <>"

Source

Feel free to make a 'conspiracy theory' out of these facts.