Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My recent return to Warhammer

I played WAR at launch and for several months after, left due to boredom and the shape of the game, returned nearly a year later for a coupleof months and was having a blast but left due to a previous favorite game of mine relaunching under another company with new servers. In my time on and off the game, ive knocked it pretty hard for some of its issues & failings, but out of boredom my brother and I recently decided to hop back into playing WAR to check out the progress of the game and some of the recent changes to RvR, class balance, tier setup, etc. So heres a bit fo a rundown and some of my opinions & feelings on it:

Class balance -

I feel that theyve done a surprisingly good job of (finally...) bringing most of the classes into a better state of balance than before. Theyve reorganized several skill trees, removed skills & replaced them with new ones, altered the costs & effects of various skills, added new equipment, shifted the focus from AoE = automatic win to single target abilities, etc. There are classes that in the past, i absolutely hated because they were missing things or were pretty gimped, but ive given some of them a  try this time around and they play much better than before, while some of the classes that ill admit i played partly because they were just plain better in every way are not quite as IMBA as before. Right now, the only major issue with balance has been caused by the release of the 80-100 renown ranks and the new gear sets for those ranks. The physical damage mitigation on that gear has caused a lot of grief to the physical ranged DPS classes such as Squig Herders. Melee DPS tends to have several tools for ignoring that mitigation & using piercing attacks, but unfortunately the ranged dps classes which rely on physical damage are rather useless vs players wearing that new equipment. Even against "squishies" (aka cloth wearers such as BWs/SOrcs) their mitigation from these new sets is just too high and classes such as SH ar ehaving a lot of trouble doing worthwhile damage in comparison to MDPS & casters. On the plus side, the most recent producers letter did state that their next focus is working on fixing things based on feedback from the community, INCLUDING the issues with physical damage mitigation in the higher ranks.

Just as an example of what i mentioned above with replacing skills & balancing them better with other classes: Zealots - they have a new toggle skill which takes all of the Willpower points from their gear and converts them to Intelligence, and turning it off converts all of your Intelligenece on equipment into Willpower. It makes Zealots much more viable as a hybrid dps/healer if they choose to, and allows much more flexibility with the class and brings them much mor ein line with the abilities of Shamans, Archmages, DoKs, and Warrior Priests. The other 4 have been good at hybrid or pure speccing for a long time, where Zealots have always been considered THE healer, and fairly useless as a DPS or Hybrid build. Now theyve all got that capability, and soloing as a Zealot is much more viable too.

Also Marauders, who were for a long time the redheaded stepchild of Melee DPS, are now actually being called by many OP. I dont agree with OP, theyre just a good class  now, rather than the uselessness they faced before.

RvR -

For those who dont know, ill touch on some of the changes from the past patch or 2.

Old way: Keeps were constantly being flipped by one side or the other in a series, starting with 1 and then moving to take over all the rest. Any keep controlled by an enemy could be attacked quickly & easily. Get a Warband together, go attack any keep owned by the enemy you feel like attacking, try to get it down as quickly as possible before the enemy can show up to defend, and usually the result was, instead of RvR you got RvDoor and RvNPCguards, with people focusing only on flipping keeps as quickly as possible while avoiding PvP. Siege weapons, except for oil, were fairly useless and rarely used. They were only able to be setup on predetermined sieg pads which never changed. Anyone could just run up to the door and beat it down, with or without a ram. Battlefield objectives were usually saved for after the keep was taken.

New way: In each zone 1 keep is owned by Order 1 keep is owned by Destruction. If you die in the RvR lake you are spawned at the keep owned by your realm (you can insta travel back to your Warcamp via a teleporter inside your keep, instead of the old way of jumping off the keep to suicide for a free ride back to WC). Keeps are not always attackable. In order to make the enemy keep attackable your side needs to take over the Battlefield Objectives and KEEP control of them for an extended period of time. While you have them controlled, NPCs called Resource Carriers will travel from the BOs to the keeps and over time level up the keep. As your keep levels, the Resource carriers get stronger & faster, and siege weapons (EXCEPT rams) start becoming available from your own keep. AftIn addition to the old things such as ballista, we now have Aerial Bombers as a siege weapon, which can be used to fly from your keep and drop firebombs on the enemies and jump off the bomber to land at your target location. Siege weapons can now be setup anywhere you want, instead of on siege pads, but are only available in a very limited supply. As your keep continues ranking up more weapons become available, and eventually the Ram is available to. You MUST have a ram to attack a keep. You can no longer attack the door directly with your character. You need 4 guys on the ram with everyone else providing support to them via heals and using siege weapons to take out the defenders trying to kill the guys on the ram. If the defenders die, they respawn in their keep, if the attackers die they have to make the trip back from their own keep with no resurrections at the enemy keep until you get the doors down. Once inside, you only need to capture a flag objective upstairs in the keep rather than fighting NPC guards.

Tiers (1,2,3,4) -

They have reorganized the tiers in way that many of us have asked for since a few months after the game launched.

Old tier setup:

1) 1-11

2) 8-21

3) 18-31

4) 28-40

This woun dbeing a pretty big problem with Tier 4 because you had fresh level 30 players with low RR and crappy gear vs suddenly having to fight level 30 / RR 80 players with far superior gear and basically no chance to do anything by themselves. It turned a lot fo people off from the game once they hit T4 and realized "crap, its going to be a couple months before i am able to hold my own here" and they didnt want to suffer through months of constantly getting their asses handed to them. It also led to T1 being very active since trial players were all there, but then once you got over level 10 there was very very little PvP & Scenarios popping throughout T2 & T3. and you quickly starte dfalling way behind in RR (further increasing the gap between players who had to PvE grind their way to T4 with no RR gain vs established T4 players).

New setup:

1) 1-15

2) 12-26

3) 22-39

4) 40

A great change for many. It allows players to continue fighting in T1 for several more levels and gain more RR since T1 is very active due to trial players. It also widens the level ranges of T2 & T3 so that there is a much better chance of you being able to get some RvR & Scenarios due the population of the tier being higher because of the level ranges. Now T2 & T3 arent quite so dead and lonely as before. And T4 being level 40 only is another great part. No longer do you have to worry about hitting that dreaded level 32 and then facing months of curbstomping until you hit 40 & get your RR up. Youre fighting people in more similar gear & RRs and you get a chance to build up that RR to a decent level and get some gear ready for when you do hit 40 and can jump in and play with the big boys. Theres still a good gap in power between low RR and high RR level 40s, but not nearly as bad as level 32s vs high RR 40s.

Renown Rank Cap & Renown Skill -

They have adjusted the RR cap so that you are no longer limited to the old rukle of RR cannot be higher than your level until T4. Now you are able to at anytime, regardless of level, achieve RR of up to 2x your current XP Level. So at level 10 you can have RR 20, and at level 39 you can get up to RR 78 which helsp a lot jumping into T4 with level 40s with RR80-100. Now theres no more "Damn I have to go grind out some XP fast so im not wasting my time doing RvR and getting no RR out of it". I havent really touched PvE, except during low pop times, since i can just continue doing RvR/SCs and keep racking up RR several level sabove my XP Level.

Renown skills are no longer in seperate tiers, requiring you to put X points into Tier 1 to unlock the Tier 2 set, an dsame for Tier 3. Every Renown Skill is available at level 1, all you need to do is build up enough points to purchase the ability. SO now instead of needing to get to mid-high levels & RR to start getting things like + crit chances, +block, +parry, + AP, etc you can start getting them in T1 if you want to spec that way. Allows for much greater flexibility & variety of builds in lower tiers, and youve got for example instead of every melee being specced for pure Strength in Renown, youve also got some focusing on + Crit and such.

Ok, so thats the main changes. Now in my opinion, i think this new system is awesome. Ive had a blast taking keeps now compare dto before.... it used to be so easy & boring. Now you HAVE to work as a team. You cant just take a group of people and zerg the keep, you have to maintain control of the BOs for quite some time ebfore going afte rthe keep, which gives the enemy plenty of time to notice the attack and get a defense organized. They will be constantly trying to take the BOs back, so you have to have defenders stationed at every BO the entire time and allows the defenders (who are usually outnumbered) to fight you off in smaller groups while trying to take each BO rathe rthan just a few vs a zerg. Last night for example, we had 10-12 in our WB going from zone to zone taking each keep. The entire time, there was a White Lion following us from zone to zone, usually by himself with only a couple others showing up here and there. We were only able to maintain 2-3 people at each BO in order to keep them all, and this WL managed several times to retake a couple of BOs from us by killing the 2-3 defenders, then quickly movin gon to another one while we scrambled to track him down and stop him from taking another while he had a big headstart on us and we had no idea which he would go for next. Eventually he started gathering more people to his side, and on our 2nd round of taking all the keeps Order started showing up in greater numbers and eventually stopped what started out as an easy take over in one zone and completely flipped it around on us, retaking the BOs, ranking up their own keep while we tried to take theirs down, and in the end they took down our keep before we could get theirs.

To me, that whole thing wa sa hell of a lot more fun & interesting then "Hey we have a dozen people and theres almost no order around, lets go zerg some keeps before they can defend and then run away to the next keep before they try to take this one back over". Also, as you control the BOs and gather resources, you are constantly getting XP, Renown, and Influence ticks. So its great for those of us who are online during non-primetime and tend to not have a whole lot of PvP action going on. It gives us a way to still gain some levels/RR doing RvR stuff without having to go grind mobs for Xp only and no RR/Influence.

Anyway, there are a couple other things that have been improved that i may touch on later, but overall things have gotten quite a bit better than a year or 2 ago. Its really shaped up to be a great game now, with only a few minor issues here an dthere rather than tons of very very big issues killing the game. It seems someone finally realized what the game SHOULD have been, and started steering it more in that direction and have brought about a few nice & unexpected changes to further improve the focus on RvR. The only thing really holding the game back in its current state is the population. During primetime, its great, lots of action going on. But outside of those hours its fairly dead in the lower, tiers though T4 still seems fairly active. If they coul dbring in some more new subscription players to fill in the gaps between T1 and T4, and even further increase the action in 1 & 4, WAR would be an awesome game right now. As i said earlier, T2 & 3 arent AS dead as they were in the past, but they could still use a bit of help.

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention about the Skaven being added. I wont bother ranting about it here, just take a look at this:

http://www.warhammeronline.com/vermin/

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Appreciate the write up, but I disagree with about everything you said.  They made the system so much more boring.  As far as taking keeps, it's absolutely terrible now.  At least before if you were melee/tank you could beat on the door somewhat.  Now it wasn't the best, but now, you don't even have that.  You can just stand there while avoiding the ridiculous afk timer.  They also effectively cut the lakes in half, by never changing who owns the keeps when a zone resets.  Have fun attacking the same exact keep forever.  Skaven?  Don't even get me started on this bastardized version of what people actually wanted.  People wanted a playable race, not some cheesy buff that turns you into a useless Skaven for a few minutes. 

If you are below sov levels, you wont be doing anything productive, except dieing and feeding renown to the higher ups.  The top end gear, WF and DF is so, SOOOOO much more powerful than even Sov gear.  RR100's are gods among men.  Have fun trying to kill a fully geared WF tank.  It will take quite a few people to do it.  A renown rank 100 player is effectively level 46, yet no bolster is around.  So if you just level 40, and try to go into T4, you are fighting someone 6 levels above you.

The new split on teirs might be nice.  But do you know why they did this?  It's because they are unable to balance gear.  They changed it so that you can stay in T3 longer so you don't have to go into T4 so early and get two shot.  Scenarios are still horrible...either you get spawn camped, or you spawn camp the other team.  Just depends on which side has more premade group and which side has more rr90+ people.

Also, you will still get stuck on random geography quite often.  Still some ruberbanding issues (you can see it when everyone's running on their mounts). 

Well I could go on and on about the game, but I have to run.  Glad you enjoy the game again, but for those of us who sat there for two years watching Mythic sink like the titanic, it's hard see the game as fun.  There is a reason why the game only has two NA servers left, it's a terrible game run by a once great company.  As you can tell I am bit bitter about the game, I have been there from the beginning, and Mythic really let me down, so sorry if my post came across a bit jerkish :)

Originally posted by Worstluck

Appreciate the write up, but I disagree with about everything you said.  They made the system so much more boring.  As far as taking keeps, it's absolutely terrible now.  At least before if you were melee/tank you could beat on the door somewhat.  Now it wasn't the best, but now, you don't even have that.  You can just stand there while avoiding the ridiculous afk timer.  They also effectively cut the lakes in half, by never changing who owns the keeps when a zone resets.  Have fun attacking the same exact keep forever.  Skaven?  Don't even get me started on this bastardized version of what people actually wanted.  People wanted a playable race, not some cheesy buff that turns you into a useless Skaven for a few minutes.  The new way of taking keeps may not have been the best solution.... but did you really prefer standing there beating on a door doing practically nothing to it? There are still ways for melees to be useful, such as siege weapons, which they have made better because of exactly what youre saying about melees not having a place. The whol ebeating on the door thing was pretty stupid to begin with... when have you ever seen/heard of a group of people walk up to a fortress/castle and just start pounding on it with their fists & swords? How effective would that really be? Siege weapons were created IRL for a reason, and now they serve that same purpose in WAR instead of being largely ignored and useless.

I dont really consider the lakes cut in half. Thats a very simplistic and narrow minded way of looking at it IMO. For 1, as i pointed out the old system always resulted in flip & run tactics. If you couldnt take 1 keep because of it being too heavily defended you WBs would just turn and run and go try to take the other keep instead of getting better and actually fighting it out. Where the fun in that? "Oh hey, they have a few people defending, lets avoid this place and go somewhere where theres nobody to fight". Now, if you want to take the zone, youve got to take THAT keep. If theyre defending it too well, then l2p better.

Besides... when it comes to keeps, is 1 really any different from another? I dont see any valid point in "have fun attacking the same keep"... essentially theyre all the same keep already, only in a different spot. Yes no wyou only need to take that 1 keep, but in order to take that keep youve got to actually invest some time & fighting into being able to even attack it, rathe rthan the zerg rushing to keeps as soon as they unlock and trying to drop it before anybody shows up. I prefer to fight & win rather than avoid PvP in a PvP game so we can hurry up and kill that NPC guarding it.

As far as the Skaven, i completely agree, would have been betetr as an actual playable class/faction, but at least we got something. Its better than them not even existing, which was what we had before. It adds something else for us to do and some more variety to the game.

If you are below sov levels, you wont be doing anything productive, except dieing and feeding renown to the higher ups.  The top end gear, WF and DF is so, SOOOOO much more powerful than even Sov gear.  RR100's are gods among men.  Have fun trying to kill a fully geared WF tank.  It will take quite a few people to do it.  A renown rank 100 player is effectively level 46, yet no bolster is around.  So if you just level 40, and try to go into T4, you are fighting someone 6 levels above you.

You mean the same as every other tier? Think about T1 and its twinks. Does a level 5 really stand a chance against a well geared 10-15 player? Ever try to kill a twinked out tank with a bunch of lowbies? Yes bolster helps SOME, but in the max gear for your level, + talismans + more RR skills/stat bonuses + tactics, etc its still going to take several people to take you down. Of course there is a power gap. WTF would be the point of even trying to get more RR and better gear if there wasnt? It sounds like you would prefer to spend months grinding out RR and earning that WF gear to gain absolutely nothing out of it. Why would anyone waste their time? Anyway, its still not nearly as bad as being a 32 in T4 vs 40/80s.  Yes there is a divide still between the high RR and low RR players, but there is supposed to be one. Otherwise, they might as well have just stopped the game at 40/80 and not added new RR and gear. 

The new split on teirs might be nice.  But do you know why they did this?  It's because they are unable to balance gear.  They changed it so that you can stay in T3 longer so you don't have to go into T4 so early and get two shot.  Scenarios are still horrible...either you get spawn camped, or you spawn camp the other team.  Just depends on which side has more premade group and which side has more rr90+ people.

Balance the gear? What gear? A level 32 in greens & blues vs 40/80s in SoV? It SHOULDNT be balanced. Thats the whole point of investing the time & effort into earning those RR and gear. Yes I agree thats WHY they made the change, because it was imbalanced... but would it have made any sense whatsoever to do otherwise? What were theys upposed to do, make level 32 gear = to SoV? Nerf SoV?

Also, you will still get stuck on random geography quite often.  Still some ruberbanding issues (you can see it when everyone's running on their mounts). 

Well I could go on and on about the game, but I have to run.  Glad you enjoy the game again, but for those of us who sat there for two years watching Mythic sink like the titanic, it's hard see the game as fun.  There is a reason why the game only has two NA servers left, it's a terrible game run by a once great company.  As you can tell I am bit bitter about the game, I have been there from the beginning, and Mythic really let me down, so sorry if my post came across a bit jerkish :)

Yes, they should have nerfed defensive sov, WF and DF.  Or better yet they could not have put such a high importance on gear in a PvP game and instead focused on making more content, no imbalanced gear.  There has been very little content added in 2 1/2 years. 

Just look at this nice graphs, DoK gear:

Stat contribution:

Armor contribution for DoK gear:

As you can see, doomflayer and warpforged have wacky contributions.  There are some reasons behind this, but I will not go into it because I don't feel like writing that much :)  Just go to the WAR forums, much info there.

Here is one comparing armor sets:

Again, you can see a high jump in values, especially for heavy armor users, which made some tanks, specifically tanks that stacked hp regen nigh unkillable.

Like I said if you find the game fun, go ahead and have fun.  But like I also said, there is a reason there are very little players anymore.  Mythic created a poor game and have done little, except lose employees, to fix it.

Also, gear should be balanced.  PvP games shouldn't really be about gear.  This can be seen in early DAoC.  Gear was of little importance, it was about how you played your character and how well worked with your teamates that decided the outcome of the battle.  It was not about which guy had better gear.  Mythic did not learn anything from DAoC and this is evident with how far Mythic has fallen.

Dont get me worng, im with you on preferring skill vs gear, but unfortunately thats not the type of game WAR has ever been... this is nothing new. With it being a gear focused game though, what they did suits it and makes sense. The only real difference comes down to wether or not your RR 90+. How is that any different from the past where whichever side had more 40/80s was automatic win? The new armor sets are nothing new, only a continuation of what was already there, and the Tiers have been adjusted to match it is all. Its not because they couldnt balance the gear, its because it was a better alternative to adding a 5th tier for only high RR players. The way it is now, everyone who is under 40 is fighting on pretty fair ground, and the level 40s have to hash it out between themselves rather than picking on lower levels who have absolutely no way of being able to use many of the skills, stat bonuses, and gear that 40s have.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Dont get me worng, im with you on preferring skill vs gear, but unfortunately thats not the type of game WAR has ever been... this is nothing new. With it being a gear focused game though, what they did suits it and makes sense. The only real difference comes down to wether or not your RR 90+. How is that any different from the past where whichever side had more 40/80s was automatic win? The new armor sets are nothing new, only a continuation of what was already there, and the Tiers have been adjusted to match it is all. Its not because they couldnt balance the gear, its because it was a better alternative to adding a 5th tier for only high RR players. The way it is now, everyone who is under 40 is fighting on pretty fair ground, and the level 40s have to hash it out between themselves rather than picking on lower levels who have absolutely no way of being able to use many of the skills, stat bonuses, and gear that 40s have.

Yes I agree with you there.  They are trying to make it better for the lowbies currently.  Unfortunately there is just not a lot of people left over there, so updates are slow.  The did introduce a worn sov set recently that I read does help a bit.  I just get so frustrated thinking about WAR and all it's wasted potential, that I don't always post clearly about it.  There is too much that upsets me about it lol.  I would love to still play WAR, but there were too many things that keep me from playing.  My main was a Magus and unfortunately they are still a rather useless class.  I love the Magus lore, so I was stuck with them.  Also, for quite a long time I was stuck on Iron Rock with a VERY low population most of the day.  I mean in off peak hours, for many months before and after patch 1.4, there might have been only 20 other destruction online.  It was frustrating.   I don't play anymore but I keep in touch with some who do and I still read the forums regularly.  Can only hope one day they turn it around.

Anyways, good luck in WAR :)

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Yes I agree with you there.  They are trying to make it better for the lowbies currently.  Unfortunately there is just not a lot of people left over there, so updates are slow.  The did introduce a worn sov set recently that I read does help a bit.  I just get so frustrated thinking about WAR and all it's wasted potential, that I don't always post clearly about it.  There is too much that upsets me about it lol.  I would love to still play WAR, but there were too many things that keep me from playing.  My main was a Magus and unfortunately they are still a rather useless class.  I love the Magus lore, so I was stuck with them.  Also, for quite a long time I was stuck on Iron Rock with a VERY low population most of the day.  I mean in off peak hours, for many months before and after patch 1.4, there might have been only 20 other destruction online.  It was frustrating.   I don't play anymore but I keep in touch with some who do and I still read the forums regularly.  Can only hope one day they turn it around.

Anyways, good luck in WAR :)

Heh, yeah i used to play on iron Rock too and even back then it was pretty dead in off-peak hours. Would usually go 6-10 hours without a single SC pop. Playing on Gorfang now, and it sbeen pretty good. Some nights its pretty dead in the lower tiers, other nights theres pretty steady action. Though in T1 after about midnight my time it tends to be like 20 destro vs 3 or 4 order at a time for several hours.

• GoreignakGoreignak Member UncommonPosts: 11

Recently reactivated myself, and actually having quite a bit of fun, both PvE and oRvR.  Just wish there was more population to make the PQs more fun.

As for RvR... well, I'm a bit torn.  It can be fun, as long as you're not trying to defend a keep, especially with low numbers on your side.  So far, it seems like the big wargroups spend more time pounding on doors and pair-hopping to avoid the opposition warband then actually fighting (at least in Tier 2).  That's on top of the gear thing... luckily the devs are actively looking into that part.

Originally posted by Goreignak

Recently reactivated myself, and actually having quite a bit of fun, both PvE and oRvR.  Just wish there was more population to make the PQs more fun.

As for RvR... well, I'm a bit torn.  It can be fun, as long as you're not trying to defend a keep, especially with low numbers on your side.  So far, it seems like the big wargroups spend more time pounding on doors and pair-hopping to avoid the opposition warband then actually fighting (at least in Tier 2).  That's on top of the gear thing... luckily the devs are actively looking into that part.

Must depend on the time of day in Tier 2, ive been playing Tier 2 the past few days on my WE along with my brother and weve had a pretty consistent group nightly on Destro, and we go out of our way to try to hunt down Order and start fights. Though as more days go by it seems like less and less Order are willing to show up and fight. Theres usually just a few guys who seem to be randomly running around trying to retake BOs by themselves rather than working together to put up a proper defense.

Not sure if your on Order or Destro, but if youre Order and looking for a fight or Destro and looking for a group to join, our group has been pretty active around 3AM EST to 9AM EST, somewhere between those hours several of us are usually on like myself on my WE Kaiserella, my bro on his DoK Kazrael, and some others weve been meeting up with pretty consistently like CotCandy, Twigachu, and Fimolen.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

I am interested in returning to WAR, will give it another go i think. Not much else out there that delivers decent pvp.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I recently gave this game another go, and only lasted a very short time...

I was probably one of the few that enjoyed the game somewhat awhile back. Yes it had its flaws, just like very other MMO out there, but it was one of a very few options for PvP/RvR.

I came back a few days ago, and i really have very little desire to log back in. The development is obviously at a snails pace, and it seems every patch brings more problems (gear gaps, level gaps, end game). I thought the old endgame was all right, but certainly needed work, the new one i actually found more boring than the last. Did i give it enough time? I don't know, but it certainly didn't "pull me in" I found myself standing around quite a bit, and the old "waithammer" seems to have gotten worse instead of better. Again, perhaps i didn't play enough to get a good feel for it, but this game really needs to pull people in quickly if it hopes to ever "recover".

The population is low, IC is a ghost town, though there seems to be a few WBs here and there, so you can find a fight with little effort.

Development is stagnant. The main webpage hasn't been updated in quite some time, hardly a vote of confidence for someone looking to get info before (re)subscribing.

I was a closed beta tester, and pretty much enjoyed the game, though the devs seemed to use us more as stress testers than to gather info (thats another story) . I had hoped back then future development would open new doors for Warhammer, as it had what all lacking games have... potential.

With limited PvP choices in MMOs, i guess I'll take a break, or play something else just to kill some time. Warhammer is a shell of its former self in my opinion, and to a lot out there, it was never much of anything prior, but i liked it.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

The main page is being updated soon but they do post new information. You just have to click the herald button to read it since the front page news section is no longer used.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I wanted to try WAR again, but if it isn't doing good then maybe I won't. The population wasn't too bad last time I tried, but maybe it isn't that good anymore? Anyone care to tell me how peak hours are on the servers?

Originally posted by ltank

The main page is being updated soon but they do post new information. You just have to click the herald button to read it since the front page news section is no longer used.

There is no excuse for your latest news entry on your homepage to be from 9/1 of last year. Update it, or take it down. They certainly aren't afraid of doing the latter...

The Realm War page was taken down 6 months ago (?). temporary they said....

The games message boards were taken down a year ago (?) and merged with the general EA boards, yet TOR has its own...

Honestly, its almost embarrasing....

Does this have anything to do with the game itself? Perhaps.. perhaps not, but as i said, it certainly caused me to scratch my head..

I already said they were updating it. Can you read?

And no the message boards were merged with the bioware social network not the general EA forums. Try learning what you are talking about before actually talking about it.

As Lincoln said, it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Yes, they should have nerfed defensive sov, WF and DF.  Or better yet they could not have put such a high importance on gear in a PvP game and instead focused on making more content, no imbalanced gear.  There has been very little content added in 2 1/2 years. 

Just look at this nice graphs, DoK gear:

Stat contribution:

Armor contribution for DoK gear:

As you can see, doomflayer and warpforged have wacky contributions.  There are some reasons behind this, but I will not go into it because I don't feel like writing that much :)  Just go to the WAR forums, much info there.

Here is one comparing armor sets:

Again, you can see a high jump in values, especially for heavy armor users, which made some tanks, specifically tanks that stacked hp regen nigh unkillable.

Like I said if you find the game fun, go ahead and have fun.  But like I also said, there is a reason there are very little players anymore.  Mythic created a poor game and have done little, except lose employees, to fix it.

Also, gear should be balanced.  PvP games shouldn't really be about gear.  This can be seen in early DAoC.  Gear was of little importance, it was about how you played your character and how well worked with your teamates that decided the outcome of the battle.  It was not about which guy had better gear.  Mythic did not learn anything from DAoC and this is evident with how far Mythic has fallen.

Getting rid of the gear power factor would have a completely dead and closed game by now.  I get that you don't like gear.  The money says differently that what you think.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

I already said they were updating it. Can you read?

And no the message boards were merged with the bioware social network not the general EA forums. Try learning what you are talking about before actually talking about it.

As Lincoln said, it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Ahh, well since you said it was being updated, well that changes everything...

and you are?

Might you also have an update on the War Herald? That was suppose to be back soon as well, 6 months ago.

and thanks, I feel a lot better knowing it was the Bioware Social Network, rather than the EA forums...  Oh wait, no i don't.

You seem rather offended, relax, its a video game.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Getting rid of the gear power factor would have a completely dead and closed game by now.  I get that you don't like gear.  The money says differently that what you think.

What money?  All the tons of money Mythic has made off War? 

Regardless, they nerfed the last two sets of gear the last patch from my understanding.  It just took them months of doing nothing to finally get around to it. 

Originally posted by waynejr2

What money?  All the tons of money Mythic has made off War? 

Regardless, they nerfed the last two sets of gear the last patch from my understanding.  It just took them months of doing nothing to finally get around to it. 

Maybe you dont realize it, but in most cases it took several months for the PLAYERS to even reach RR 100 to even get the gear to even create an issue where people could even say the gear is OP. Between then and 1.4.2 they have done other things in their patches unrelated to the gear, had the gear change sposted on the PTS for nearly a month, and now have patched it.

Maybe one day people will realize that not every patch covers EVERY issue in any game. Even with WoWs budget they still make minor patches to certain things inbetween the bigger ones. Why would you expect WAR to patch every single issue in 1 patch?

Originally posted by Marcus-

and you are?

I'm the guy actually playing the game instead of , you know, trolling forums for a game they don't like or play.

and you are?

I'm the guy actually playing the game instead of , you know, trolling forums for a game they don't like or play.

I'm curious, where exactly was i trolling?

Someone made a post about a recent return to Warhammer, I tried it a few weeks ago, so i offered my opinion as well. I thought i was pretty fair all things considered, and i didnt fabricate anything, nor did i trash the people who play it, or those considering.

It seems some folks definition of trolling is having a different opinion than their own..

and you are?

I'm curious, where exactly was i trolling?

Someone made a post about a recent return to Warhammer, I tried it a few weeks ago, so i offered my opinion as well. I thought i was pretty fair all things considered, and i didnt fabricate anything, nor did i trash the people who play it, or those considering.

It seems some folks definition of trolling is having a different opinion than their own..

By your own words you say that you probably didn't give the game a fair chance. You also say some things that are simply factually wrong unless you expected to log in at 5am and see the server busy. People who give opinions should be knowleable about what they opining on lest they look like they are trolling. You're certainly free to give your opinion but when you don't know what you are talking about then people should take your opinion with a grain of salt.

It's also curious how just now you say you tried it a few weeks ago and yet on the 24th you say you tried it "a few days ago". Funny that.

• AxeshunAxeshun Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 82

I have played a ton of f2p n p2p MMOs before, but never tried WAR(yes one of the few).  Is it possible to get a good "feel" for the game using the free trial?

• LerTLerT Member Posts: 3

I recently as well returned to WAR from launch never really gave game a chance to be honest.  Now that have so far loving it fun pvp.

• LerTLerT Member Posts: 3

Yes it is enought time to get feel for game in 14 days.