Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Super Hero Squad Online: Gazillion Entertainment

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Recently, MMORPG.com's Melinda stopped by Gazillion Entertainment to check out a pair of demos. Melinda got a good look at Marvel Super Hero Squad Online and Gazillion's recently announced Fortune Online. Melinda has some initial impressions of both so read on!

Marvel Super Hero Squad Online can be summed up in one phrase, pure fun! Players can log in through a browser based interface and begin the action right away. You start by selecting one of your favorite Marvel heroes and exploring the common area. There are little quests and events going on to keep you busy. I started as Iron Man and had fun just flying around off of the flight points and on to buildings.

Read more of Melinda Haren's Gazillion Entertainment .

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

"even Deadpool is playable, don’t worry he uses a water gun."

Haha, sorry but that is so hilarious that it's awesome. The things that such a wacky character could do with a water gun.. man it would be comedy gold.

• DiospyrosDiospyros Member Posts: 15

The fact that this is how the Marvel Universe is first appearing in an MMO makes me want to cry.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,499

Diospyros - I'm with you there!

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

Im glad Devs have stopped calling games like these MMO's and instead just refer to them as online games.  The only person that hinted MMO players would be interested was the (pre)reviewer, Garret this is no more an MMO than Diable multiplayer was.

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

Notice that the word constantly used for this game is "kids."  So all you old foggies step back, this isn't for you, nor do I think you'd want to take part in that type of atmosphere. Just look at whats happened to WoW.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Originally posted by erikk3189

Notice that the word constantly used for this game is "kids."  So all you old foggies step back, this isn't for you, nor do I think you'd want to take part in that type of atmosphere. Just look at whats happened to WoW.

I tell you what this "Old Foggie" Will pwn any kid in this game. Hands down!! Not only I am looking forward to playing I hope that my very presence will keep kids away lmao See you forgot this looks like the same type of graphics used on older console games that I grow up on. Not only that but it also looks like a nice little get away from WoW from time to time. And believe me I am so happy that more mature adults out number the kids in WoW lol I sound like an adult tyranny from KND lmao

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

They have been making our MMO's for kiddies since WoW. Now they actually make all the avatars look like children. What next, Kindergarden MMO?

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by Diospyros

The fact that this is how the Marvel Universe is first appearing in an MMO makes me want to cry.

couldn't agree more

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I'm a huge comics fan, but few of the Marvel games have any appeal to me.   The reason is balance.    If a developer tries to make such a wide variety of characters viable to play, they have to either grossly upgrade or egregiously downgrade the comparative abilities of many heroes.

There's no way a character like, say, Daredevil should be on par with someone like Thor.    But games like this have to be balanced, so we get this souping-up or dumbing-down of almost every hero.   

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

nerf hulk! :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by Diospyros

Completely agreed. Shame on you, Marvel. Shame on you!

Also, I tried this Fortune Online, and it's awful, even for a browser based game. First off, it won't let me browse the forums without picking a forum name, and keeps telling me the one I want (same as here) is somehow inappropriate. Not a big deal, but I should be able to at least look at them.

Secondly, the gameplay is... well, it's garbage. The graphics look nice and pretty until you move, which reveals some of the worst animation I've ever seen in a video game. The basic attack has about 2 frames to it. I've honestly seen better animation in NES games; it really is that bad. Also, you can only do a certain amount of quests per day it seems, there is some kind of points system in place to determine how many you can do (kind of like Vindictus and its token system). Kind of expected, but the kicker is the damn tutorial quests take points away! Seriously, by the end of the tutorial half the points were already gone...

I understand this is a beta, and that some things are subject to change, but I honestly don't see them doing much more with the animation (which as mentioned is inexcusably bad). Admittedly I didn't get past the tutorial to the real 'meat' of the game, but I really don't see things improving much.

What surprises me the most is that NetDevil has their name on this; I actually expected much better from them.

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

Actually, NetDevil hardly exists anymore except on paper.  I knew a guy who worked there, and apparently Gazillion pretty much destroyed the studio after they took over.  There have been a bunch of layoffs lately, and it sounds like Fortune Online is going to be cancelled along with Jumpgate Evolution.  NetDevil's gone.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by Aristides

Actually, NetDevil hardly exists anymore except on paper.  I knew a guy who worked there, and apparently Gazillion pretty much destroyed the studio after they took over.  There have been a bunch of layoffs lately, and it sounds like Fortune Online is going to be cancelled along with Jumpgate Evolution.  NetDevil's gone.

Wow, that's... really depressing. Another decent game studio destroyed by idiots. Brilliant.

• GuintuGuintu Member UncommonPosts: 320

Originally posted by alderdale

Im glad Devs have stopped calling games like these MMO's and instead just refer to them as online games.  The only person that hinted MMO players would be interested was the (pre)reviewer, Garret this is no more an MMO than Diable multiplayer was.

Now if they'd just stop calling Lobby FPS' MMO's.  Everytime I see an FPS with a lobby and they call it an MMO I want to scream!  This is more an MMO than say Cross Fire. :(