Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The last time you were "awed" by an MMO

Comments

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Neocron 2 character creation couple hours ago,Cyberpunk 2020 presence was there,which was nice.

Generation P

• ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200

First time for me was after I hit level 4 killing rats in freeport on EQ1 and I entered East Commonlands, I saw all the trees and distant players casting spells on monsters, it was night time and it was ... alive.

Current MMO: WoW/GW2

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

First time was Everquest - lost my MMO virginity and fell in love

Second  - DAOC,the introduction to RvR and massive large scale battles.The sight of hundreds upon hundreds of people going at it on the battle field or at a keep was just epic.

Third and last time - Planetside,basically the same reason as DAOC,large scale 3-way epic battles,but with the inclusion of ground and air vehicles...I shed many a tear for the beautiful carnage this game conjured..

• Fessor111Fessor111 Member UncommonPosts: 33

Everquest, A high level necro was killing guards by the wall outside of Rivervale. I was level 4 on my first toon i EQ :P

Hehe, now I really wanna play EQ again.

Downloading....

Zoos the Slacker

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Lineage II - first time I participated in a castle siege as warsmith and summoned a siege golem. The thing didn't live long because I had no idea what to do with the thing and how to control it :p

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Vanguard.

Last time I was awed by a MMO was Vanguard.

And yes, I was playing it ... for two quite happy years. Sigh.

Originally posted by GPrestige

I was recently watching a video of TERA and couldn't believe how amazing the world looked, [...]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

You cant be serious, can you ?

No, you really can't.

If you want amazing graphics, go to shooters. Or at least singleplayer RPGs. MMOs ? Nope, sorry, thats not a good place to look for great graphics, because:

1. Graphics is the least concern for MMOs.

2. Good graphics means cannot support large numbers of players on the screen.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Adamantine

Originally posted by GPrestige

I was recently watching a video of TERA and couldn't believe how amazing the world looked, [...]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

You cant be serious, can you ?

No, you really can't.

2. Good graphics means cannot support large numbers of players on the screen.

You're kinda flawed in your logic there... Aion does a hell of a job in graphics and allows a huge number of players at one location at once... But I agree that most MMORPG's with kick-ass graphics can't handle too many players at a time *points at Age of Conan*

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

World of Warcraft "wowed" me during launch. Before that: Ragnarok Online and Final Fantasy XI. 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Exploring the zones in Lotro. Really nice landscapes and lighting. But excitement wise I'd have to say EVE. No other game has ever made me tremble and shake like in EVE.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

I have a few actually.

Warcraft , the first time we rolled up into Ragnaross room, I recall sitting back in my chair stunned for a second thinking holy shit we have to kill that ?.

EvE the first time I saw I massive fight, it blew me away just how many people were causing my computer to die.

god I have very high hopes for Swtor, Archeage and the new crop of mmo's I really do as a game want to be blown away sadly it's just not happening much at the moment.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

WoW, on the bridge walking into Stormwind.

That was an epic feeling. 

EVE as well when I was taken for a pvp roaming type hunt in my tier2 Catalyst on my 3rd play. Had absolutely no idea what I was doing but damn, was it fun. Sadly, I had to hand in my wings afterwards as I just couldn't get into the game. :(

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• VaeniVaeni Member Posts: 17

Don't think a MMO can amaze me as much as EVE in a while. I didn't even take part in huge of PvP battles, I just enjoyed the differentness of it so much and attention to detail. Visuals are also great, and of course the feel of powerlessness in the vast space.

It's perhaps easier to remember the negative experiences though, so the moments of amazement are overshadowed by them. You guys who say you have never been amazed; is it really so? Don't think you have to be drooling on your keyboard mouth open and ripping your hair off to be amazed.

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

Several times while I play Rift , I was awed when Rifts opened up right on top of my head. A few times I was awed when I came face to face with a tear of a Rift.

I was awed once while standing on a mountain top, looking out over the land and seeing the tops of several rifts doing their rift thing....knowing that at the ground dozens of players where fighting mobs dropping out of said rifts.

I've had several " holy crap " moments in Rift as I would round a corner only to come face to tace with an invasion force of mobs or a npc Defiant raiding party.

Rift is an awe-some game! ....and it's just beginning. That's the best part. In 2-3 years it will be an even more awe inspiring world to play in.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

the last time I was awed by a mmo was during the Aion Closed Beta.  the backgrounds looked so alive I was actually blown away.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

I got to share with you all, I pulled my subs and went to mount and blade warband. 2 months now and I just started the Mods players have made. This game awed me in the first battle I had where my mount was killed and I ran out of bolts when I discovered that I could pick up lose weaps and mounts on the feild of battle. The game makes me feel like Braveheart running around like a crazyman. Best $10 investment I ever made. No subs, No kiddies and No elves just some good 'ol basic gameplay. Steam online community is helpful and the forums has been a blast. If they had a co-op server on this one it would make my day. Funny how everyones awe is different.

• AriesianAriesian Member UncommonPosts: 20

RIFT, I think it was during the last open beta,. There were about a dozen fire armies just milling about outside of a coastal stonghold, killing other mobs but not attacking the hold or the mass of gathering players. I had never seen so many bad guys in one place. I yelled for my roommate who watched as another player ran down in front of me and said "WOW".

I have been in some huge combats in RIFT since then but that one took my breath away.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Shire by night from the highroad in LOTRO... on highest settings...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

Once I figured out the game - Anarchy Online.

Before that is was EQ, couldnt quite get my head around the graphics & thousands of people online all at one time. Was great running around talking randomly to people aged 17 :P

• KalTheoKalTheo Member UncommonPosts: 65

Every second I played in the first week of Star Wars Galaxies release.

More recently, Darkfall had some very awe inspriring moments for me.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

I had a bit of an "awe moment" when I first played Tera back in the FGT. Nothing new since.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

As always in Darkfall last night doing PVP.

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

In Vanguard, despite of the bad launch.

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Originally posted by Archid

In Vanguard, despite of the bad launch.

Me too!  I remember thinking "its a bad launch but theres no way this game can fail".  I guess i was wrong :(

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

My most recent moment of awe was a couple monthes ago I was playing LOTRO for the first time. Walking down this road and came up over a hill at night to see the lighted central plaza of Bree. I sat there for like 5 minutes going wow, this is beautiful.

Also the graphics and atmosphere of the forests near combe in LOTRO were amazing, it felt so alive.

• MoglothMogloth Member Posts: 11

Like others in this thread, my awe moment comes in LOTRO.

Vol 1 Book 11 Chapter 4. The quest is called Remembrance.

You are allowed to accompany the Rangers as they bury one of their own. It felt like an honor to be there to witness this ceremony.