Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Lazy Crafting "Best of Both Worlds"

Comments

• gwbrewgwbrew Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by Solestran

I don't care for crafting, but I have to wonder why you crafting types keep crying about adventure games that don't focus more on crafting?  Why not play games like Ryzom, A Tale in the Desert, Istaria, Eve, FFXIV and so forth that are essentially crafting simulators with adventuring on the side. 

You do realize that crafting and adventuring are competing game styles?  In order to make crafting meaningful, you have to reduce or even eliminate adventuring rewards and incentives to favor those of crafting products and components.  Not exactly fun for the adventurer, don't you think.

Stop haunting adventure games to push your crafting agenda and just play a damn crafting game already.

Ryzom (old graphics), A Tale in the Desert(old graphics AND server resets), Istaria (old, but closest to what we are looking for), Eve (very weird game to play imo.. crafting is more like filling a list), FFXIV (never played it, not the kind of MMO that I go after)

You do realize that crafting and adventuring are competing game styles? No it isn't.. if the only reason you are adventuring is to get a green.. you won't stay in the game long.

Stop huanting progress with ignorance.. Everyone has an agenda in an MMO.. it's called play style.. why should mine be any less than yours.. Im not asking to have PVE/PVP taken away at the expense..

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by gekkothegrey

I don't care for crafting, but I have to wonder why you crafting types keep crying about adventure games that don't focus more on crafting?  Why not play games like Ryzom, A Tale in the Desert, Istaria, Eve, FFXIV and so forth that are essentially crafting simulators with adventuring on the side. 

You do realize that crafting and adventuring are competing game styles?  In order to make crafting meaningful, you have to reduce or even eliminate adventuring rewards and incentives to favor those of crafting products and components.  Not exactly fun for the adventurer, don't you think.

Stop haunting adventure games to push your crafting agenda and just play a damn crafting game already.

The reason for this is "A tale in the desert has very low end graphics and nothing but crafting" Eve is great but some ppl just can not get into a game you spend so much time only in ship" FFXIV really lol? That is just the worst game, I was so butt hurt over it I pre-ordered that game as I was a big FFXI fan, and I ended up playing the game for around 12hr and then cancel my sub". The others you mention I have not tried other then Ryzom but I do not remember much about that game.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but if a developer is intent on making an adventure game, they are hardly likely to make the focus on crafting at the adventuring side's expense.  SWTOR has been an adventuring game from the very get go, so whining about the lack of crafting focus is seriously pointless.  Try Xyson, I hear it's a crafting only economy and reward system, that should fit your bill.  Stop whining about a game that fits my play style perfectly.

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

crafting was always totally boring, now ill be able to do "something" by my self (as belt buckles or slots in gloves in WoW), even without spending time on someting that makes me eager to turn off the game...

but people who will want to spend a lot of time and effort on it will be able to craft items in pair with raid drops...

as, for me, thats best crafting system possible, most balanced i've seen

anyway just another "crytopic" from SWG veterans... impresive that there still are those who come and start rants in TOR forums .

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• gwbrewgwbrew Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by Hekke29

crafting was always totally boring, now ill be able to do "something" by my self (as belt buckles or slots in gloves in WoW), even without spending time on someting that makes me eager to turn off the game...

but people who will want to spend a lot of time and effort on it will be able to craft items in pair with raid drops...

as, for me, thats best crafting system possible, most balanced i've seen

anyway just another "crytopic" from SWG veterans... impresive that there still are those who come and start rants in TOR forums .

"crafting was always totally boring" <-- stopped reading right there.. You wouldn't understand the Op then.. Good day sir.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, I don't like crafting either but I have to disagree with you.

they are not competing game types. Only competing in the way some games have implemented them.

For instance, In Lineage 2 all gear with the exception of some special items dropped by bosses (an earring, a ring, etc) was craftable. However, one could do a raid and there would be a chance that some of that gear would be present as a reward.

Of course there was risk in crafting higher lvl gear so raiding for it was a way that one could get a high end piece of gear without trying and, failing and losing half your mats.

Another thing you might consider (and if I was to make a game this is how I would do it) is that adventurers could get high end mats that are only obtainalbe through certain raids. These mats could then be used by a crafter to make high end goods.

So using dragon scales in armor or weapons, finding an old arcane sword that, when reforged/crafted could become something of value. Incnorporating alien technology into new weapons and armor or ship components, etc.

It's just that "certain" games have gone the route of "do a raid and get better gear".

Crafters should be supporting adventurers and adventurers should be bringing new and intersting materials to crafters so they can experiment with them.

With the way SWTOR has talked about their crafting system,  it seems to be extremely robust not just in the sense of CRAFTING... but its the entire CREW SKILLS system that will really change the way you play.  For someone like you Sovrath, if you aren't a big crafter,  set your companions sights on gathering, treasure hunting, or diplomacy.  Say you have treasure hunting up high enough,  your companion could come back with a really great piece of armor that you can then trade, or sell.  If you or your companions continue gathering, you put those materials back into the economy for crafters.  

You won't have one crafter that will do it all like in Fallen Earth, where, as long as you took the time you could craft anything across any of the crafting skills.  In SWTOR you can only have 3 skill and only ONE can be a crafting skill,  the other two can be gathering or mission skills.  Whether the third skill HAS to be a crafting skill or you can spec all into gathering, thats a different story.

In the end, thats where the collaboration comes in.  For those not interested in crafting, you have other crew skills that will enable the crafter,  or the economy,  or just the player.  For one crafter to make the best weapons and armor, they'll need to rely on other crafters,  and some recipes will be so rare that there may only be a few people in the entire galaxy that know them, apart from ALL the dedicated crafters.  Some recipes may only be used a certain amount of times too (meaning crafters will forget the recipe after the item is made),  making them even more rare that a crafter can find it,  make an item a certain amount of times, and then it goes back to becoming a rare drop.

I've never been much of a crafter... well not a dedicated crafter anyways.  I like making what I need to make,  but I hate being the craft bot in my guild because I hated the downtime.  This is right up my alley,  even though I may not put as much effort into it like dedicated crafters would,  I'm seriously thinking of spec'ing into treasure hunting, gathering,  and maybe a consumable crafting skill that goes along with gathering.

they are not competing game types. Only competing in the way some games have implemented them.

For instance, In Lineage 2 all gear with the exception of some special items dropped by bosses (an earring, a ring, etc) was craftable. However, one could do a raid and there would be a chance that some of that gear would be present as a reward.

Of course there was risk in crafting higher lvl gear so raiding for it was a way that one could get a high end piece of gear without trying and, failing and losing half your mats.

Another thing you might consider (and if I was to make a game this is how I would do it) is that adventurers could get high end mats that are only obtainalbe through certain raids. These mats could then be used by a crafter to make high end goods.

So using dragon scales in armor or weapons, finding an old arcane sword that, when reforged/crafted could become something of value. Incnorporating alien technology into new weapons and armor or ship components, etc.

It's just that "certain" games have gone the route of "do a raid and get better gear".

Crafters should be supporting adventurers and adventurers should be bringing new and intersting materials to crafters so they can experiment with them.

There is an underlying reason why games that focus more on crafting than adventuring are the least popular games on the market.  I for one, do not find crafting materials as loot drops as anything close to being fun or rewarding and considering the current trend in the genre, many other people don't find it so either.

Crafting, just like raiding and PvP are niche play styles.  If you can't adjust to that, you're in for a lot of disappointment.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Having "Current SWTOR direction is good" followed by "Never understood crafting was fun" is appropriate, because they are they same thing.  Voting for SWTOR crafting as it is means you are not a crafter or you don't care for a player made economy.  Bot Harvesting, Bot Crafting, Bot Questing (SW:BOT).  By this I mean you assign your NPC companions to go harvest offline for you.  Another NPC companion will also craft for you.  Mean while a third NPC is off questing and leveling.

I voted for Fallen Earth Crafting, because FE is the successor to SWG pre-NGE.  They even have Tiggs on community relations.  I am not saying it is a copy or clone of SWG, but it meets the definition of SWG.  A classless skill based character system  with 99% player made crafting, and diverse complicated crafting.  The only thing FE doesn't have is permanent decay.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Originally posted by Konfess

Having "Current SWTOR direction is good" followed by "Never understood crafting was fun" is appropriate, because they are they same thing.  Voting for SWTOR crafting as it is means you are not a crafter or you don't care for a player made economy.  Bot Harvesting, Bot Crafting, Bot Questing (SW:BOT).  By this I mean you assign your NPC companions to go harvest offline for you.  Another NPC companion will also craft for you.  Mean while a third NPC is off questing and leveling.

I voted for Fallen Earth Crafting, because FE is the successor to SWG pre-NGE.  They even have Tiggs on community relations.  I am not saying it is a copy or clone of SWG, but it meets the definition of SWG.  A classless skill based character system  with 99% player made crafting, and diverse complicated crafting.  The only thing FE doesn't have is permanent decay.

But FE doesn't have a great economy either.  Every crafter can make everything and they don't need to trade materials or collaborate.  Just about every veteran player has a crafting alt, and since its pretty easy to level everything early on it doesn't really matter.  The only real thing that you can craft early on that helps in FE is bullets and vehicles. Everything else you get quest rewards for that are much better than what you can make.    It isn't until the very high levels that you actually make weapons and items that are different or useful,  and even then, its rare to find that stuff on the AH.

In SWTOR you would have to make 6 alts just to be able to craft EVERYTHING for yourself.  Could you imagine the energy it would take to do that?  Even if you could just set your companions, log off,  set another companion,  log off  and keep going from there,  you would have to have MONEY to send your companions off,  so you'd need to level.. AND you'd need to.. y'know .. HAVE companions.. so you'd have to go through the personal story to get them...  and to be able to do that with 6 characters just to be self sufficient would be a really tough undertaking.

Most people will collaborate and trade within the game, hence, making an economy,  instead of like FE where you have 1 guy who can do it all,  and every player that knows what they're doing creates that 1 guy.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't know if I like the idea of crafting happening while you're offline or if I just like the idea of having minions do my bidding. :-)

It's probably just the minions thing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

There is an underlying reason why games that focus more on crafting than adventuring are the least popular games on the market.  I for one, do not find crafting materials as loot drops as anything close to being fun or rewarding and considering the current trend in the genre, many other people don't find it so either.

Crafting, just like raiding and PvP are niche play styles.  If you can't adjust to that, you're in for a lot of disappointment.

But you would be going for gear, you would just require a crafter of some sort to unlock it and perhaps enhance it to something special.

And I'm not saying "focus" on crafting. As I have said numerous times, I hate crafting. But what I don't hate is a 'world" with an actual economy.

I'm sorry but I don't like nor care for how modern games have implemented the "i'm going to raid and get purple gear!" method of obtaining gear. So you can then raid and get better gear and then raid to get better gear, etc.

As a point of note, with the exception of my radiance armor in LOTRO, I try to buy all my gear from players. One of the reasons I'm happy with them doing away with radiance is that I'm hoping that crafted gear in LOTRO will become viable again.

I would rather play a game where I "raid" for special mats so that something new and special can be made with them. Not just the 300,000th piece of purple armor that has the same stats as every other person "strutting and preening" in the square.

Not my cup of tea. If people like it great but I say "meh".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I voted for Fallen Earth Crafting, because FE is the successor to SWG pre-NGE.   

But FE doesn't have a great economy either.  Every crafter can make everything and they don't need to trade materials or collaborate.  

In SWTOR you would have to make 6 alts just to be able to craft EVERYTHING for yourself.  

In SWG I ahd 10 Alts, The only proffession I didnt bother with was Bounty Hunter.  BH's ONLY took missions for 50% or lower targets.  SOE had the data that BH only took 0.01% of the 100% Jedi missions.  Back to crafting.  SWG had a limit of 1 character per server, but WoW has made this impossible to implement today.  But NOTHING in your post about diminishes the level of fun in FE and SWG style crafting.  And EVERYTHING about SWTOR crafting as it is today is NOT fun.  SWTOR crafting is the gaming equivalent of Wiping without toilet paper.  I am not a YES man to BW I give Honest Truthfull evealuation of technology.  I have Kotor on my machine, and have been reinstalling it since I stoped playing SWG.  I have resigned myself to the possibility that SWTOR will be the first SW game for PC that I will not play.

I found plenty of crafting gear in FE that was better than quest rewards.  Only the Event rewards that took tokens were truely better to crafting gear.  Now the Basic book items wre only basic, but if you crafted or baugfht the Advanced level recipes then your found the items I chose to craft and use.  I used a basic two handed melee weapon, and Advanced Ranged weapon, Event rewards boots, Jacket, and gloves plus 2 more items.  Lastly Basic Crafting Shirts, Hats and Pants.  You Have to LOOK at each reciepe.  Sure there are some rewards that are better, untill you can craft the next level of gear.

With the way SWTOR has talked about their crafting system,  it seems to be extremely robust not just in the sense of CRAFTING... but its the entire CREW SKILLS system that will really change the way you play.  For someone like you Sovrath, if you aren't a big crafter,  set your companions sights on gathering, treasure hunting, or diplomacy.  Say you have treasure hunting up high enough,  your companion could come back with a really great piece of armor that you can then trade, or sell.  If you or your companions continue gathering, you put those materials back into the economy for crafters.  

Oh believe me, I'm not complaining about having virtual hired hands gathering stuff for me. I say "great" now get out their and get me a flux capacitor!

I would say that I would hope that dedicated crafters would eventually be able to do more than me.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

But you would be going for gear, you would just require a crafter of some sort to unlock it and perhaps enhance it to something special.

And I'm not saying "focus" on crafting. As I have said numerous times, I hate crafting. But what I don't hate is a 'world" with an actual economy.

I'm sorry but I don't like nor care for how modern games have implemented the "i'm going to raid and get purple gear!" method of obtaining gear. So you can then raid and get better gear and then raid to get better gear, etc.

As a point of note, with the exception of my radiance armor in LOTRO, I try to buy all my gear from players. One of the reasons I'm happy with them doing away with radiance is that I'm hoping that crafted gear in LOTRO will become viable again.

I would rather play a game where I "raid" for special mats so that something new and special can be made with them. Not just the 300,000th piece of purple armor that has the same stats as every other person "strutting and preening" in the square.

Not my cup of tea. If people like it great but I say "meh".

I don't raid, but I do expect my quests and and explorations  to drop upgrades to my current equipment.  I like the instant gratification of being able to immediately put on that upgraded equipment.  I'm not interested in an economic simulation either.  If people want to trade, that's fine, but don't force me to.  I want to get my get my rewards from adventuring, not other people.  When crafting becomes a requirement in the loot reward system, I move on to a different game.

But FE doesn't have a great economy either.  Every crafter can make everything and they don't need to trade materials or collaborate.  

In SWTOR you would have to make 6 alts just to be able to craft EVERYTHING for yourself.  

In SWG I ahd 10 Alts, The only proffession I didnt bother with was Bounty Hunter.  BH's ONLY took missions for 50% or lower targets.  SOE had the data that BH only took 0.01% of the 100% Jedi missions.  Back to crafting.  SWG had a limit of 1 character per server, but WoW has made this impossible to implement today.  But NOTHING in your post about diminishes the level of fun in FE and SWG style crafting.  And EVERYTHING about SWTOR crafting as it is today is NOT fun.  SWTOR crafting is the gaming equivalent of Wiping without toilet paper.  I am not a YES man to BW I give Honest Truthfull evealuation of technology.  I have Kotor on my machine, and have been reinstalling it since I stoped playing SWG.  I have resigned myself to the possibility that SWTOR will be the first SW game for PC that I will not play.

I don't think you understand what I was saying about the alts.  You would have to make 6 alts JUST for crafting.  And each skill, to be efficient would require you to play through the main story to some point to achieve the necessary companions etc.  to use for crafting, plus the money to send them on missions or make items.

You as a player can still gather.  Lets talk about this in terms of Fallen Earth as you seem to like the crafting in that game.

In Fallen Earth,  you have 1 crafter who can make everything in the game.  When you are crafting say,  an engine,  that can take 6 to 8 hours of craft time where you can't craft ANYTHING else.  So what do you do instead as a crafter?  You gather!

In SWTOR.  You don't actually craft,  but you set up your craft queue in the same way.  You select what companions will be crafting, what they will be crafting and how long that may take  (could take minutes,  could take hours, all the same).  What do you do while your companions are busy crafting?  You go do missions,  you select your other companions to do something else, or if you're a dedicated crafter you can GATHER materials YOURSELF.  While your companions are out crafting,  YOU can go out and gather.

So where is the difference between these two systems?  In FE you can gather and craft EVERYTHING with 1 character,  thereby stifling an economy because one character makes clothes, ammunition, mounts.  They can only craft 1 item at a time and it goes by real world time,  so crafting a rifle can take an hour, so that leaves crafters gathering their own materials.  In the end it makes crafters able to craft everything without needing other crafters for anything, so not only does it kill the economy, but it makes players just roll a secondary crafting character so they don't have to compete with crafters prices.

In SWTOR, you are forced into 1 crafting profession per character, with 2 sub professions,  either gathering or crafting (or mission skills).  This stimulates the need for other crafters, and other players in general, hence starting an economy.

Crafting takes real world time and gathering through companions takes in game money, so you would have to have a lot of money to successfully send your companions out to gather without EVER gathering yourself.  Its likely many players will be gathering their own materials for a good while.

The big change between the two systems aside from the necessity of crafters in SWTOR?  In FE you set up the queue on your own character and in SWTOR you set your companions up to do it.  Not really much of how the player will perceive this system as its really close in practice.

• maxtlionmaxtlion Member Posts: 79

Items should have some form of decay, but allow repair like in Diablo. If you repaired yourself, the item lost max durability, but if you took it to the master smith, it could go on forever. Items shouldn't be indestrucible without a specific purpose and if you value an item, you learn to take care of it.

Similarly crafting should be accessible to all, but the more skilled you are at it, the better results you can get. The grind of making 100's of unused items to skill up is the norm and to be fair is pretty true to life, but imagine the difference between a blacksmith with 1 skill and a maxed out master smith with 350 skill - I'd want the same item, crafted by both, to be signifiantly better when crafted by the master - identical items from different skills should be different and reflected in stats.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Oh believe me, I'm not complaining about having virtual hired hands gathering stuff for me. I say "great" now get out their and get me a flux capacitor!

I would say that I would hope that dedicated crafters would eventually be able to do more than me.

I get the feeling that is the case, so long as they are dedicated to running this instance 100 times or that BG again and again to get the merits to buy these leet mats from the quartermaster. Bloody daft.

They can have top notch collection and crafting mechanics, it's unlikely to matter because you'll be able to get the sme item from a dungeon and they will all be alike and they will last forever. The level of whine heading their way if they tell people the only way to buy gear is from other players only, that sort of hate could bring down a building.

It's going to be crafting lite because that's what a lot of people think they want due to their past experiences.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

I don't raid, but I do expect my quests and and explorations  to drop upgrades to my current equipment.  I like the instant gratification of being able to immediately put on that upgraded equipment.  I'm not interested in an economic simulation either.  If people want to trade, that's fine, but don't force me to.  I want to get my get my rewards from adventuring, not other people.  When crafting becomes a requirement in the loot reward system, I move on to a different game.

And that's where we diverge. I actually don't expect to get upgrades to equipment from drops or quests.

I mean, we are just coming from two different game backgrounds. I came from Lineage 2. You could go 10 levels and never see a drop. And these are lineage 2 levels, not "bang out 10 levels in a weekend" levels.

What was interesting was that we had dedicated and trusted crafters. They could even sell you mats if you needed. And they could be trusted so you could give them your mats and they would craft for you. They spent time building their reputation. They would then screen shot the result if it failed and send to you so you had a record of it failing.

The quests were more about character development for the most part so you weren't getting rewards. My "reward" came when I went to an area to hunt because I knew the recipe for a demon staff dropped with something like .000000000000283%

And I got it on the 3rd try. Still have to laugh about that.

This is not to say that I say "no" to quest rewards in games that are designed for them. But more often than not I buy from players and their wares are better than most of the quest drops.

And that's where we diverge. I actually don't expect to get upgrades to equipment from drops or quests.

I mean, we are just coming from two different game backgrounds. I came from Lineage 2. You could go 10 levels and never see a drop. And these are lineage 2 levels, not "bang out 10 levels in a weekend" levels.

What was interesting was that we had dedicated and trusted crafters. They could even sell you mats if you needed. And they could be trusted so you could give them your mats and they would craft for you. They spent time building their reputation. They would then screen shot the result if it failed and send to you so you had a record of it failing.

The quests were more about character development for the most part so you weren't getting rewards. My "reward" came when I went to an area to hunt because I knew the recipe for a demon staff dropped with something like .000000000000283%

And I got it on the 3rd try. Still have to laugh about that.

This is not to say that I say "no" to quest rewards in games that are designed for them. But more often than not I buy from players and their wares are better than most of the quest drops.

I understand that, but what I don't understand is why people come to specific game's boards and complain about certain aspects of content when they never intended to implement those types of things in the first place.  It's like some country music fan going to a rock concert and whining about why they don't play country music.  If you want an economic simulation / crafting centric loot system, then haunt the games that currently include or intend to include that type of content.

In SWG I ahd 10 Alts,  

I don't think you understand what I was saying about the alts.  You would have to make 6 alts JUST for crafting.  

In SWG I had 10 Alts, is my way of saying you just described the WAY I PLAY.  In fact it was you that didn'ty understand this.   Your Entire post is rolled up into one phrase I had 10 ALTS to suppost my need to craft.   I assure you I understand everying thing you said in your second post when you said it the first time in your first post.  I have been playing and progamming games since 1983.

The mechaics exist for the player to crafct and gather, but the Design Intent is to offload all crafting on the BOTs to free the player for Heroic SW gameplay, that was the part of my first post you didn't understand.  If YOU could read the Design Document that describes SWTOR, it would read "Fully Autonomuos Crafting and Gathering, that minimizes player interaction".  TWIICE you have been unable to refute this.

• TheIllusiveTheIllusive Member Posts: 196

I guess that in the end we all want a crafting/economics system like EVE, but the truth is that it won't happen. Games like WoW and SWTOR are made for the masses, they don't want complicated skill or craft systems.

• slprslpr Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by TheIllusive

I guess that in the end we all want a crafting/economics system like EVE, but the truth is that it won't happen. Games like WoW and SWTOR are made for the masses, they don't want complicated skill or craft systems.

SWTOR crafting system is complex, it isn't EVE but i isn't WoW either.

In SWG I ahd 10 Alts,  

I don't think you understand what I was saying about the alts.  You would have to make 6 alts JUST for crafting.  

In SWG I had 10 Alts, is my way of saying you just described the WAY I PLAY.  In fact it was you that didn'ty understand this.   Your Entire post is rolled up into one phrase I had 10 ALTS to suppost my need to craft.   I assure you I understand everying thing you said in your second post when you said it the first time in your first post.  I have been playing and progamming games since 1983.

The mechaics exist for the player to crafct and gather, but the Design Intent is to offload all crafting on the BOTs to free the player for Heroic SW gameplay, that was the part of my first post you didn't understand.  If YOU could read the Design Document that describes SWTOR, it would read "Fully Autonomuos Crafting and Gathering, that minimizes player interaction".  TWIICE you have been unable to refute this.

Perhaps you should state more clearly what you're trying to profess rather than pretending everyone knows what you're talking about.   There is no need for me to refute anything.  What you fail to realize is the similarities between this and your much sought after system in Fallen Earth.  The system is a clean blend of the two you find to be most agreeable.  "Fully autonomous crafting and gathering"  Hey that sounds like Star Wars Galaxies to me right there.    In the end you still setup your crafting queues (just like all the other games),  YOU still gather materials when you don't have the funds to pay your companions (just like other games)  and YOU still sell the items.

I really couldn't care less if you were creating games since 1983 or if you created the abacus, you are favoring a system like Fallen Earth over a system that is not just fairly similar mechanically,  not just more complex in the way you gain recipes and utilize them,   but one that actually encourages an economy and necessity to craft.   Fallen Earth lets you gather WHILE crafting.  SWG let you go find new nodes while harvesters gathered for you.   I can't help but feel that TWICE you're impetuously obstinate just for the sake of doing so.

Agree to disagree on this point if you want,  but I've played both SWG and FE and this system sounds fantastic to me.

Originally posted by TheIllusive

Of course, since it's preferred by the masses, it can't possilby be a valid reason to design a game that is contrary to your desires.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Well, one of my issues with crafting (in order for me to actually do it) is the collecting of bits to make bits that are put together to make more bits until you have an item.

It's very tedious to my tastes. So that is why I like the npc gatherer idea in SWToR.

But that's just lowering the barrer that exists in some games in order for me to try my hand at crafting.

That's where crafting in SWG was pretty cool compared to most crafting systems, today.  Whereas a recipe in LotRO or WoW might require "stringy wolf meat", and "hearty wolf meat" wouldn't work, for example, SWG, in comparison, would just require "meat".  Bear meat?  Sure.  Croc Meat?  Cool.  Mystery meat?  Throw it in! 

What would change, though, is the effectiveness of the food, and/or the odds of a successful craft.

And that's what I liked about it.  It was less restrictive in terms of crafting for XP, but yet, if you knew all the best ingredients to make the most potent item, then your stuff was worth more on the market.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by Robsolf

In terms of the different ways crafting can be done, I'm good with SWToR's direction.

But I hope that crafting makes for a great deal of item customization, as it did with SWG.  You could make weapon barrels, batteries, etc, and they could have many different properties and buff your weapon in many different ways.  Different color clothes, armor, etc.

If they went with an SWG-ish system, I'd be happy with that, too.  But I'm just glad that it sounds like there's not going to be a big material grind where I'm crafting X number of useless, underpowered widgets to get crafting XP.  That just seems like a waste.

There was wonderfull posting in GW2 forum about crafting.

The learning of crafting should be minigames, a puzzle or something like that. And reward from that puzzle would be some refined materials and skill points. Now learning should be easy and you should get maxed pretty fast, because otherwise it gets boring. After that all mass crafting, the dreary part, is done by NPCes. That way you would be like chef of kitchen, you don't do most stuff anymore you are just quality control. To make sure those puzzles won't be wasted you would lose some skill points after while and had to redo some puzzles. It makes just sense. People didn't like spending hours watching there character crafting but they did like fact that it would take sometime to make stuff.

Time solves one major problem why economy doesn't work in MMOs today. If crafting takes few minutes the market will be spammed. Other and maybe even bigger problem is lack of corrosion. Not just corrosion of weapons and armors but everything else also even crafting materials.