Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age 2: Big letdown

Comments

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Combat, cutscenes, and dialogue seem to be improved from DA1 significantly.  Some of the same problems still exsist though.  The quest interface is not the best it could be and the overal world seems lifeless still.  Random groups of people who just stand there for days on end that don't talk or do anything makes the game seem dead in many ways.  Overall I like the game better than DA1 so far, but it's not the end all, be all RPG.  Nonetheless I feel it is worth buying on console.

• kado2kado2 Member Posts: 80

Haven't bought it. Want to, wanted to ever since I found out it was coming out, then delayed for some reason. Now with all the mediocre reviews I don't think I'm going to until a lot more DLC is released.

Retired: EVE, SWG, STO, EQ2, Ryzom, AO, LotRO, FFXI
    Currently Awaiting: SWTOR, TSW, ArcheAge

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013

I have to say that now that I'm farther along, the story is growing on me.

Though I did run into an issue where I deleted my finished game from DA:O and had to load an unfinished game. Since the game is unfinished DA:O 2 has filled in the blanks and indicated that the Hero of Ferelden died killing the dragon.

That just won't do. So now I'm going to finish DA:O again and restart DA:O2.

It's a bit obsessive but I can't have my super cool character dying to a wussy Dragon!

What would the neighbors think!?!?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Sovrath, you should be able to find a proper save game simply by googling. I had to do that for ME2 and there were lots available with fairly similar choices made.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

Originally posted by thexrated

Sovrath, you should be able to find a proper save game simply by googling. I had to do that for ME2 and there were lots available with fairly similar choices made.

hmmm, I didn't realize I could do that?

Thanks!

And if i can find one from a site other than "Idlovetodownloadakeylogger.com" (so some reputable site) then that could be a great idea. I didn't even consider it that was an option. I'm so old.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I beated the game

Seriously, it was a big disappointment, the only good story part was the act 2 with the whole qunari take over (yet predictable), the act 3 is rushed, the quests are repetitives, the repetitive scenarios dont help either, Kirkwall gets boring after some time, the random spawn waves of mobs ambushing you gets annoying...

You really dont need money after act 1, I finished the game with over 100 gold buying the best gear I could find, so the quests becomes only a matter of experience and *rare* fun (In the rare exceptions of quests that aren't, Go to sundermount/wounded coast and kill 3 waves of enemies...)

And the bloody dialogue wheel, ah yes, the dialogue wheel, I cant remember the amount of times I wanted to say a thing and it got out totally different... not to say that the majority of the time, It dont really matter what you say, the outcome is always the same.

Now that you know what all I hated about the game, I can agree that the Combat is way better, the ragdoll was nicely done, and the Ability management aswell

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• KienKien Member Posts: 520

DA2 is really disappointing. My mage is level 10, so I've still got plenty of game ahead of me, but honestly I'm having trouble forcing myself to play for more than 15 minutes at a time. The game was obviously designed for the console, and just doesn't play well on the PC. Quests are dull. The tactical combat of Dragon Age: Origins has been replaced with whack-a-hole hack & slash. I don't feel drawn into the story at all. Companions are mostly dull, although to be fair they did a good job with Merrill. Content is heavily recycled, and you'll get tired of seeing the same few areas over and over again.

I think some poor decisions were made early in the development process, and the development cycle itself was obviously quite short, and the result is the terrible blunder known as Dragon Age 2.

From comments made by Mike Laidlaw [google recent Eurogamer interview], I don't think that Bioware will be able to recover from this blunder. I think they are in a state of complete denial. I think this the beginning of the end for Bioware.

• fredbrown8fredbrown8 Member Posts: 2

Played this game on my xbox360. its okay but it feels its not a improvement on dragon age. Good for me i borowed this copy from my friend.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Just finished DA2 for the second time today. For the most part I still find more things about it that I dislike then like.  Some parts of the game have definitely been improved over Dragon Age Origins.  Going to say I liked and disliked the story of DA2, and leave it at that.  Don't want to be throwing out spoilers.  Really worried now about how the next DA game will be, and for that matter the DLC's that BW will release between now and then.image

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• bloodbath08bloodbath08 Member Posts: 11

I do hope bioware would release DLC's to fix the core gameplay up. For me the game is pretty much easy from start to finish, i like the original rather that DA2.

• ErzeenErzeen Member Posts: 5

I hope they don't dumb down Mass Effect 3.

• potapithikospotapithikos Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by Erzeen

Dumb down ME 3 in comparison to what? The already dumbed down ME2?

• ErzeenErzeen Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by potapithikos

Originally posted by Erzeen

Dumb down ME 3 in comparison to what? The already dumbed down ME2?

Yes. Hope they don't dumb down more...

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I honestly do not understand how fully fledged RPG such as Dragon Age: Origins can get a sequel in form of action RPG console port.

They both take place in the same world, sure, but that is the only thing they have in common and that's hardly justifying Dragon Age 2 label.

Releasing it as console action game under new title would make more sense.

Originally posted by Gdemami

I honestly do not understand how fully fledged RPG such as Dragon Age: Origins can get a sequel in form of action RPG console port.

They both take place in the same world, sure, but that is the only thing they have in common and that's hardly justifying Dragon Age 2 label.

Again, are you guys playing this on the harder diffculties? Because it becomes less action oriented and I do have to stop and pause and plan the fight out.

I will say that though I love how the mage's fighting manifests itself, I think the melee is just a bit too fast. It doesn't feel right.

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Because it becomes less action oriented

No, it won't. The fight will just take longer but that's about all.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Enemies do much more damage on the harder diificulties. If you don't pause and work out your tactics a few of your party members will be slaughted inside a few seconds, on the tough fights. The fight won't just take longer.

I am playing it on Hard at the moment and i am ripping through it with ease but that is simply because i pause on every battle to figure out who is where and which enemies to focus on or where to place party members. Aswell as playing around with so many builds on my Mage.

Playing on casual or medium most likely will be fast paced action and non-stop but hard and nightmare are much more tactical, exactly the same as DA:O tactical wise in fact. Try beating the Ancient Rock Wraith without tactics on Hard or Nightmare.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

So I just got to the 3rd part, year 7 ~  well that was several days ago.  I can't seem to convince myself to load it back up and continue.  The story is ok in parts{mainly the final parts of each period}, but most of its so sporatic and there is so much repeating of areas its become really boring.

Without giving away the ending is it worth trying to continue and finish it?  I've heard from various forums and reviews its a major cliffhanger and rather blah, but anyway...

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Enemies do much more damage on the harder diificulties.

That's what I said. More DPS to tank and more HP to deplete. The result is difference in time the engagement takes.

It will be still the same action RPG game mechanics wise.

DA:O used completely different difficulty scaling system - enemies using different abilities, penalties, etc. DA1 and DA2 combat systems are not comparable, they have nothing in common.

Again, are you guys playing this on the harder diffculties? Because it becomes less action oriented and I do have to stop and pause and plan the fight out.

I will say that though I love how the mage's fighting manifests itself, I think the melee is just a bit too fast. It doesn't feel right.

Yes.  My first playthrough was on Nightmare. I can count the number of times I paused using one hand.

*SPOILER*

The only times I had to pause on Nightmare were during the fight with the Quanari Leader (one on one), the fight with Meredith, and the Assassin boss of the Antivan Crows during the Zervan cameo in the Murder of Crows Mission.  Other then that I didn't have to pause.  My group consisted of Me (Mage), Merril, Aveline, and Varric.  90% of the fights consisted of me letting Aveline taunt.  Then casting Firestorm on my mage, Tempest on Merrill, and Hail of Arrows on Varric. Which left pretty much most of the initial mobs dead or dying.  Then it was just a matter of picking off any additonals using combination of Ice spells, Spirit Bolt, and Varrics Arrow Lance and Pinning shot. (None of which required me to pause to setup.) It wasn't till near the end of Act 2 that Aveline actually started dying from being caught in the AOE range, and even then it was 50/50.  By end of game my people were level 18.   In DA:O groups of enemies were actually challenging on nightmare if you weren't careful (or playing an Arcane Warrior prenerf lol).  In DA2 non-boss enemies are fodder, on nightmare they are fodder with more HP.  DA2's nightmare is a joke compared to DA:O.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Having to pause and plan out different strategies along the way is "not" action oriented.

If your issue is that they fight "really fast" then that is something different. What does it matter the speed of an attack when one has to stop, pause and plan the next move?

On harder difficulties you have to do this.

though apparently Roin above doesn't have to do this. I however have to pause during fights on the harder difficulties.

Having to pause and plan out different strategies along the way is "not" action oriented.

If your issue is that they fight "really fast" then that is something different. What does it matter the speed of an attack when one has to stop, pause and plan the next move?

though apparently Roin above doesn't have to do this. I however have to pause during fights on the harder difficulties.

I should clarify that I am in no way saying that there is something wrong with you or me.  Just that DA2 takes a quanity over quality approach to encounters.  In all honesty if they had did that with DA:O it wouldn't have been so bad.  While I really enjoyed the encounters.  I never felt like I was really in a "blight" till I got to the deep roads in DA:O.  When you started seeing more and more groups of Darkspawn with larger numbers in them. (Same for Denerim during the end of DA:O)  In

DA2 they throw waves and waves of enemies at you, and sometimes they are Mages which I feel is just ridiculous (just like when they spawn Abominations out of the ground).  In DA:O things like abominations and blood magic showed up just enough that it fit into the Lore they layed out.  With DA2 it's like every mother, brother, and cousin is a Blood Mage.  Blood Magic doesn't even feel dangerous in DA2 like DA:O painted it to be (And was), because EVERY mage you run across seems to have it.  DA:O painted Blood Mages as something to be feared, something you hoped you never ran into more then one of.  DA2 paints them as just another fodder NPC to be mowed down.  Argh I'm rambling again, sorry -_-

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

I like DA2 very much, it's fast and fun to play. Where DA1 was following legacy of NWN, the DA2 is much more KOTOR style. After playing games over 25 years the habits have changed alot. I don't have kids, yet I have very little time to actually play games. Yes the DA2 had less choices, movement is limited, it's not that long and there isn't much tactic. But it doesn't matter because I have no time to lvl crafting, explore huge map or spend hours finding story. DA2 makes me happy and laugh sometimes, and it's enough. It has good combat, good voice acting with humor, great characters and solid gameplay. I have pile of games waiting and new come every month, gone are days when I could put couple hundred hours to one game per month.

BTW many seems to complain that you can't change your companions armors and sometimes weapons, but it just makes them feel more individuals than dolls. Lot of people seems to draw conclusion what happens DA2 affects SWTOR, ofc it doesn't. They aren't stupid, example having few armor pieces in single player game makes sense since the goal is to complete story which is the game, in MMO having many armor slots makes sense since getting better gear is often goal. Even if you make story based MMO story isn't the game, just part of it

Originally posted by Roin

I should clarify that I am in no way saying that there is something wrong with you or me.  Just that DA2 takes a quanity over quality approach to encounters.  In all honesty if they had did that with DA:O it wouldn't have been so bad.  While I really enjoyed the encounters.  I never felt like I was really in a "blight" till I got to the deep roads in DA:O.  When you started seeing more and more groups of Darkspawn with larger numbers in them. (Same for Denerim during the end of DA:O)  In

DA2 they throw waves and waves of enemies at you, and sometimes they are Mages which I feel is just ridiculous (just like when they spawn Abominations out of the ground).  In DA:O things like abominations and blood magic showed up just enough that it fit into the Lore they layed out.  With DA2 it's like every mother, brother, and cousin is a Blood Mage.  Blood Magic doesn't even feel dangerous in DA2 like DA:O painted it to be (And was), because EVERY mage you run across seems to have it.  DA:O painted Blood Mages as something to be feared, something you hoped you never ran into more then one of.  DA2 paints them as just another fodder NPC to be mowed down.  Argh I'm rambling again, sorry -_-

Well, I think that's a good point. I haven't gotten too far into DA:O 2 so I have yet to experience waves of  blood mages as of yet.

I was just commenting that you are apparently good enough not to pause on Nightmare difficulty. I would be surprised if this was the case for most people..

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

There's always Elder Scrolls VI:  Skyrim from Bethesda for that old fashioned, non-linear, open ended RPG, which is coming out soon.  The developers are adamant about returning to their Daggerfall / Morrowind roots and moving away from the metamorphosis that was Oblivion.

I've become so used to MMOs with their lively worlds that I find it hard to even play single player games anymore, but I am incredibly intrigued to play a true successor to one of my all time favorites:  Daggerfall.